• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almighty

Parks somehow satisfy peoples need for commercial. So if you build them and a lit of them, you won't have demand for commercial areas.

As far as i can tell when I removed all the commercial districts in my city the only thing commercial actually does(besides good tax income) is give you leisure(which parks do as well) and create jobs.

Chariot

As far as i can tell when I removed all the commercial districts in my city the only thing commercial actually does(besides good tax income) is give you leisure(which parks do as well) and create jobs.
It also uses goods produced by the regular industry.

But yeah, it doesn't do much and tgey really should patch that. Making them redundant after the first few thousand people is kinda bad.

Almighty

It also uses goods produced by the regular industry.

But yeah, it doesn't do much and tgey really should patch that. Making them redundant after the first few thousand people is kinda bad.

I forgot about that. Probably because I banished the regular industry from my city previously for pissing me off. It was strange that my city was running along just fine with only residential and office space zoned.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
4EFUvPr.jpg

Everything was going well... and then they introduced bus routes.

I need a bus route AI. This is too much for my brain.

Is there an easy way to delete them, at least? All I can manage to do is futz up the stops, not remove it outright.

trinest

Why does my city go from successful to dying. Seriously buildings everywhere always abandoned and I have no fucking idea why.

Is there an easy way to delete them, at least? All I can manage to do is futz up the stops, not remove it outright.

Right click on the stops.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Why does my city go from successful to dying. Seriously buildings everywhere always abandoned and I have no fucking idea why.

Click on a building and then mouseover the flashing icon in the pop-up window to see why it was abandoned.

V9rls7D.jpg

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm so bad at this. cant seem to make enough money to keep up with what people want. how are you managing to build these huge cities? i managed to make a decent little sized town (1,500 or so) and then it went to shit cause crime went up and i cant afford police stations. so i try to create more houses but cant seem to figure electricity out. they are always complaining. then i try raise taxes and budget services then they start complaining. just no winning with these people!!

seriously are people using cheats/mods or something? am i just really terrible at this game?

Birathen

Yea, its a pain to remove buslines it seems. Right click every stop and the route goes away. In my last city I had to remove all bus lines and start over since I had too many and bus stops in stupid places like roundabouts. Felt like half the traffic was buses in some areas.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Right click on the stops.

Yea, its a pain to remove buslines it seems. Right click every stop and the route goes away. In my last city I had to remove all bus lines and start over since I had too many and bus stops in stupid places like roundabouts. Felt like half the traffic was buses in some areas.

An easier way to delete the whole line is to go straight into the transportation info view from the menu icon panel on the top left. First, get out of the bus stop line tool thing. Then, go to the transportation info panel. Then, you'll see all the lines. Click on a line. Go to modify line. Then you'll see the option to delete the line.

Alternatively, you can find any of the buses that comprise that line, click on a bus, click modify line, then delete line.

Birathen

An easier way to delete the whole line is to go straight into the transportation info view from the menu icon panel on the top left. First, get out of the bus stop line tool thing. Then, go to the transportation info panel. Then, you'll see all the lines. Click on a line. Go to modify line. Then you'll see the option to delete the line.

Alternatively, you can find any of the buses that comprise that line, click on a bus, click modify line, then delete line.

Damn, thanks! :D Can you change color on routes as well? I think I read something about that but did not know about the modify lines panel.

Damn, thanks! :D Can you change color on routes as well? I think I read something about that but did not know about the modify lines panel.

You can change the colour! If you activate the 'Transport' info view and click a line you can change the colour and name of the line, as well as see a pie chart with useful stats on usage for that individual line.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So I just want to be sure. Any "Unique buildings" you unlock will remain unlocked and be available in new cities from the start, right? How about monuments? I haven't hit 75,000 yet but am working my way. Will monuments be permanently unlocked or will you have to hit 75,000 again later? I don't even know what monuments are because the game locks me out from even seeing them.

Should I have issues with the game being sluggish on a relatively decent 2012 laptop? (6GB RAM, decent AMD mobile graphics card). I had to turn all of the settings down to get it to stop lagging. : (

Lettuce

So is there a mod yet that deals with bus routes like SimCity where you just place bus stops which has an area of influence?.

Also what are some of the best/helpful mods currently out??

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
And now I'm hemorrhaging citizens by a thousand per week. I'm down 10,000 already. I don't know why. :(

I'm sure I do know why. Garbage and dead people. My city has gotten too big to handle it all.

Noaloha

And now I'm hemorrhaging citizens by a thousand per week. I'm down 10,000 already. I don't know why. :(

I'm sure I do know why. Garbage and dead people. My city has gotten too big to handle it all.

You can ride it out until your population stabilises and then build back up from the lower population, but unless you manage/readjust your economy correctly during one of these exoduses, you'll go bankrupt. Be sure to watch your expenses by switching off and reducing funds on surplus services and imbalanced policies and stay out of the red as much as you can.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So I just want to be sure. Any "Unique buildings" you unlock will remain unlocked and be available in new cities from the start, right? How about monuments? I haven't hit 75,000 yet but am working my way. Will monuments be permanently unlocked or will you have to hit 75,000 again later? I don't even know what monuments are because the game locks me out from even seeing them.

Yes. You only ever need to unlock everything once. For example, In my main city, I couldn't get the courthouse because I couldn't get my crime that high. So, I made a new city, got to the point where police unlocked, then made my citizens unhappy. Crime shot up, and I unlocked the courthouse.

The only restriction you have from then on in any new city, is needing to reach the population goal to be eligible to use that tier of building.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yes. You only ever need to unlock everything once. For example, In my main city, I couldn't get the courthouse because I couldn't get my crime that high. So, I made a new city, got to the point where police unlocked, then made my citizens unhappy. Crime shot up, and I unlocked the courthouse.

The only restriction you have from then on in any new city, is needing to reach the population goal to be eligible to use that tier of building.
That's awesome. I'm gonna have fun unlocking some of these buildings. Time to set my taxes to 4%.

Question: Are both the garbage dump and the incinerators required? Or can you get by with just incinerators all over?

Tunned

That's awesome. I'm gonna have fun unlocking some of these buildings. Time to set my taxes to 4%.

Question: Are both the garbage dump and the incinerators required? Or can you get by with just incinerators all over?

Either one or the other, incinerators are obviously much better since they burn trash and generate electricity.

I have a question too: I have successfully reached a population of 75k in my first city, and growing but how the hell do I get offices to level 3!? I have high demand for them, they all go up to level 2, and half way to level 3, but hardly ever reach level 3! Help!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
[/b]

Either one or the other, incinerators are obviously much better since they burn trash and generate electricity.
So I'd been wasting time with garbage dumps when I really should have just built incinerators all over the place? My god. Fixing that problem now.

Curious, does it apply to deathcare too? Do you need both cemeteries and crematoriums? Obviously the cemetery looks nice. But will crematoriums take over the role completely?

Also, I really hate that garbage trucks and hearses go for the oldest dead body/trash pile instead of the closest. If I plop a cemetary/crematorium/dump/incinerator down, it's because I want you to clean up this area! Not the area a mile away!

How fast does it take to unlock everything? Do you reach a ceiling quick and can see yourself getting a little bored soon? I'm a massive simcity 4 fan but I was never really bored apart from trying to come up with nice looking areas and so on.

What's missing?

So I'd been wasting time with garbage dumps when I really should have just built incinerators all over the place? My god. Fixing that problem now.

Curious, does it apply to deathcare too? Do you need both cemeteries and crematoriums? Obviously the cemetery looks nice. But will crematoriums take over the role completely?

Also, I really hate that garbage trucks and hearses go for the oldest dead body/trash pile instead of the closest. If I plop a cemetary/crematorium/dump/incinerator down, it's because I want you to clean up this area! Not the area a mile away!

Just remember that if it's possible, just burn them all. (Once you get your incineration capacity up to at least a bit over what your city produces, set all landfills to empty.)

Jisgsaw

How fast does it take to unlock everything? Do you reach a ceiling quick and can see yourself getting a little bored soon? I'm a massive simcity 4 fan but I was never really bored apart from trying to come up with nice looking areas and so on.

What's missing?

Well, I still haven't seen everything, but the main problems from what I've seen:
- The game is pretty easy (at least in normal mode). Sure you can screw things up and crash down, but all in all, I still haven't gotten a real challenge (which isn't necessarly a bad thing)
- Building variety is lacking. I hope mods will be able to add some buildings in the RCI building pool (is it possible?).
- UI could be better
- Music could be better
- Why aren't there 4-lanes one way roads?

Tunnels would also be nice, but they should come soon in a free patch.

So anyone build out their cities with all the coverage for fire, police, health, education, garbage, and deathcare to the point of the entire road area being green?

Mik2121

So anyone build out their cities with all the coverage for fire, police, health, education, garbage, and deathcare to the point of the entire road area being green?

Yeah, right now any time I create a new area I create a small area in the middle that contains almost everything, and then put some parks around to increase the value even more.

Also the damn deathcare.. that stuff is so much more important than I ever thought! I don't remember having to care about cemeteries back in SimCity 4, but maybe I just forgot...?

I'm not sure why people are calling this easy. The traffic management alone is more difficult than anything in any Sim City game I have ever played.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom