• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xBladeM6x

I'm not sure why people are calling this easy. The traffic management alone is more difficult than anything in any Sim City game I have ever played.

The key to traffic management, is pedestrian management (that is if you don't feel like taking an eternity to plan and fix traffic issues). Have a look at this.

sCjHgyh.jpg

So yeah, why is mostly every vehicle using the right lane only here?

Yeah, right now any time I create a new area I create a small area in the middle that contains almost everything, and then put some parks around to increase the value even more.

Also the damn deathcare.. that stuff is so much more important than I ever thought! I don't remember having to care about cemeteries back in SimCity 4, but maybe I just forgot...?

Cemeteries in SC4 just gave you a nice positive effect on the neighbourhood. Purely optional.

I'm not sure why people are calling this easy. The traffic management alone is more difficult than anything in any Sim City game I have ever played.

Wait until you see SimCity 2013's...traffic problems. (It's not THAT bad and it's entirely possible to reach 1M without crippling gridlock, defined as "traffic not flowing at all" in that game, but CSL should be smarter, aside from emergency vehicles.)

So yeah, why is mostly every vehicle using the right lane only here?

The traffic logic is kind of corked. Everyone queues up to the turning lane ASAP.

Crispy75

Originally posted on Reddit. Holy fuck.

Holy shit, he completely emptied the river basin and filled it with city.

I'm using the same map. Creeping up on 40k now. I'm going for a series of interconnected towns that will eventually merge together kinda like London did.

jIyHNWV.jpg

Here's Downtown, with two train terminii, university and lots of high density offices and commercial.

YIsc79H.jpg

Here's a commuter town, built around its train station. Plenty of citizens really do commute into Downtown for the high-value office jobs or to go to University. Note the segregated line for cargo and tourist trains. If you let the two systems mix, everything comes to a halt.

fSD5aZo.jpg

Farm area. No high school and no train station. A bit backwards, but quiet and clean.

LF8X0tu.jpg

Lakside. A high density city of its own, with a 3-stop metro line running the length of the main avenue. It's popular with tourists due to the large amount of shops and the parks along the promenade, so it has my only passenger station connected to the outside world. Every tourist train is full.

1kWahns.jpg

mmmmmmm. lovely transit

WV25ueb.jpg

Orange is the main commuter line. Cyan is the Lakeside Express. Green is the metro line. You can also see a couple of the freight stations, which I've got at each of the major industrial areas and commercial centers, to try and keep trucks off the road. The freight line isn't hilighted, but you can see its trains running along the shoreline.

The key to traffic management, is pedestrian management (that is if you don't feel like taking an eternity to plan and fix traffic issues). Have a look at this.

I'm getting better at managing it, but it's certainly more involved than in Sim City 2k/Sim City 4. It shouldn't be easy to have great traffic management in a city, but I don't really agree with the idea that this game is easier than other city simulators.

Wait until you see SimCity 2013's...traffic problems. (It's not THAT bad and it's entirely possible to reach 1M without crippling gridlock, defined as "traffic not flowing at all" in that game, but CSL should be smarter, aside from emergency vehicles.)
Well Sim City 2013 has a ton of stuff straight out broken with its simulation. I stopped played it after about 10 hours.

After playing a while, the game lacks in the dynamcis department - several points are lackluster like the education system or the relationship between the three different zones. All the points are breaking the illusion of building a city for me right now and turning the mid and eng game into a playing like the game mechanics want it instead of bulding a more or less realistic and living city.

Traffic management isn't that hard. You just need to rebuild the first parts of your city at some point because of the early lack of highways and other high capacitiy streets or you plan the first tile as suburbs.

I'm getting better at managing it, but it's certainly more involved than in Sim City 2k/Sim City 4. It shouldn't be easy to have great traffic management in a city, but I don't really agree with the idea that this game is easier than other city simulators.

Just remember that even if you see a lot of traffic, so long as it's flowing, you should be fine. Things are actually pretty lenient if you start out right.

Well Sim City 2013 has a ton of stuff straight out broken with its simulation. I stopped played it after about 10 hours.

Thank goodness for patching :3 (It's still not really worth your time unless it's in the bargain bin.)

Traffic management isn't that hard. You just need to rebuild the first parts of your city at some point because of the early lack of highways and other high capacitiy streets or you plan the first tile as suburbs.

Or use one-way roads as poor man's highway at the beginning, then upgrade to highway later on. :) (Build a standard road somewhere else first.)

Tukker

Sorry if this has been asked before but is it possible to destroy your entire city after you have been playing for a while without any real consequences? I currently have a 30k pop city and I would like to demolish it entirely and start over and try to make a car free city as much as possible.

Skux

This is all incredible stuff. I'll be buying this soon. I'd love trying to recreate some cities from my country.

Sorry if this has been asked before but is it possible to destroy your entire city after you have been playing for a while without any real consequences? I currently have a 30k pop city and I would like to demolish it entirely and start over and try to make a car free city as much as possible.

You should be able to demolish everything and be fine as long as you have enough money to restart.

Is it possible to multi-select bulldoze? It may take quite some time to delete otherwise.

The demand is kind of finicky, so be sure that you have ample cash reserves. Just in case the demand for RCI behaves unexpectedly.

(Speaking of RCI, I think the RCI demand should be further split into RCIO...Industry and office being part of the same aggregate demand kind of doesn't tell me what I need at times...and it would be nice if it's possible to see negative demand for a given type (like when there are not enough workers ignoring traffic, there'll be negative demand...))

georgc

Has anyone been having trouble using Nvidia DSR with Cities?

When I go to settings and select the higher resolution I asks to confirm the change then it does nothing and goes back to 1080p. Every other game i try DSR on it works fine.

What gives GAF?

When I go to settings and select the higher resolution I asks to confirm the change then it does nothing and goes back to 1080p. Every other game i try DSR on it works fine.

What gives GAF?

I think it doesn't work right now. Use the supersampling mod for now, at least until NVIDIA adds a proper driver profile.

Noaloha

I wonder how feasible a fix to the lane-selecting behaviour is. I've seen it mentioned that agents determine their route before they spawn, then follow that fixed path, only recalculating a route if their initial one stops existing. Giving agents a dynamic route selection, or even just lane swapping on the fly based on what they run into, must be something that would add a tremendous amount of computational demand into the mix as you get up into the higher population levels.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
All right. Getting ready to go to bed so I decided to unlock some unique buildings. I've turned off all services in hopes of getting 1000 abandoned buildings, high crime, low health, and I built a bunch of universities. I'm gonna have all the buildings I can get without actually playing well.

Tee hee.

I just wish the game would notify you when you unlock one. (I'm on OS X so I have to turn off the Steam overlay so I don't even see achievement notices. I don't know if the game would notify you of unlocks via that.)

Tukker

The demand is kind of finicky, so be sure that you have ample cash reserves. Just in case the demand for RCI behaves unexpectedly.

(Speaking of RCI, I think the RCI demand should be further split into RCIO...Industry and office being part of the same aggregate demand kind of doesn't tell me what I need at times...and it would be nice if it's possible to see negative demand for a given type (like when there are not enough workers ignoring traffic, there'll be negative demand...))

You should be able to demolish everything and be fine as long as you have enough money to restart.

Thanks alot guys :) I have 5-7 million in the bank before will attempt this, that should be enough :).

Is it possible to multi-select bulldoze? It may take quite some time to delete otherwise.
Not that know off, that is why I asked to be honest I will need quite some time to fully demolish everything. I am currently emptying my cemeteries and landfills so I can get rid of those first.

The fastest way to remove that i know off is to keep the mouse button pressed when you demolish a road or building and then drag along, even though this is not optimal either. I would have liked to see a multi-select buldoze method as you cal it :).

I wonder how feasible a fix to the lane-selecting behaviour is. I've seen it mentioned that agents determine their route before they spawn, then follow that fixed path, only recalculating a route if their initial one stops existing. Giving agents a dynamic route selection, or even just lane swapping on the fly based on what they run into, must be something that would add a tremendous amount of computational demand into the mix as you get up into the higher population levels.

Do you think changing the current path based on current traffic at each intersection will work?

Tunned

Have to ask again: I have successfully reached a population of 75k in my first city, and growing, but how the hell do I get offices to level 3!? I have high demand for them, they all go up to level 2, and half way to level 3, but hardly ever reach level 3! Help!

My unemployment has been consistently at 47%. I'm trying to get the Oppression Office.
So does anyone know of a good way to drive up unemployment.
I've been trying to game the taxes to drive businesses out of business, but to no avail. That just lowers population without harming the unemployment rate.

Noaloha

Do you think changing the current path based on current traffic at each intersection will work?

My gut feeling is a qualified "yes, probably", with the qualifier being that this would add an exponential drain on CPU as you rise in population and city size. Which is to say that my gut feeling is actually, "no, probably not."

Have to ask again: I have successfully reached a population of 75k in my first city, and growing, but how the hell do I get offices to level 3!? I have high demand for them, they all go up to level 2, and half way to level 3, but hardly ever reach level 3! Help!

Service coverage and land values! (Use higher-maintenance parks and extra mass transport.) (Be warned that parks also eat into C demand, so...don't overdo it.)

My unemployment has been consistently at 47%. I'm trying to get the Oppression Office.
So does anyone know of a good way to drive up unemployment.
I've been trying to game the taxes to drive businesses out of business, but to no avail. That just lowers population without harming the unemployment rate.

Save your game.

Demolish all I- and O- buildings and dezone them.

See if your residents end up not being able to work on anything. I think?

My gut feeling is a qualified "yes, probably", with the qualifier being that this would add an exponential drain on CPU as you rise in population and city size. Which is to say that my gut feeling is actually, "no, probably not."

What if the path is recalculated only after a set travel time, and some people will never change their path unless the path ceases to exist?

spiritfox

Getting 50% crime rate is impossible. My cims just don't want to commit crime even when unemployed, surrounded by abandoned buildings, and no police >.<

Hip Hop

I was a huge fan of Sim City 2013,

bought all the DLC's for it

but man, this game trumps it for me and was hesitant at first. Still can't get over the 25 tile size, the scale is insane. And steam workshop is a big game changer.
"I wish there was an auto demolish mod", searched it up and it was there already :)

Can't wait to see what the community comes up with.

so good.

Tunned

Service coverage and land values! (Use higher-maintenance parks and extra mass transport.) (Be warned that parks also eat into C demand, so...don't overdo it.)

Ooh land value! Thanks! When you say "use higher-maintenance parks", do you mean bigger parks or just raise park budget?

I was a huge fan of Sim City 2013,

bought all the DLC's for it

but man, this game trumps it for me and was hesitant at first. Still can't get over the 25 tile size. And steam workshop is a big game changer.

Pretty much the only thing I hate about CSL is "seriously, deathcare?!", the chirper, and the music right now.

Everything else is great. Just to note that you should try to learn to love the freeform road tool and be prepared to spam services. You could get by with one of each service category in SC2013. That's definitely not the case in CSL, so you'll have to plan accordingly (though part of me still thinks the coverage is too darned small, coming from a place where I used to go to a primary and secondary school several KM away.)

Ooh land value! Thanks! When you say "use higher-maintenance parks", do you mean bigger parks or just raise park budget?

Both help. The lower-maintenance parks (the upkeep should be listed while choosing a park) have minimal effect.

raphier

Banned
I don't get pedestrian roads, how do I connect them to households, there doesn't seem to be a way to connect them like other roads

Jintor

I don't get pedestrian roads, how do I connect them to households, there doesn't seem to be a way to connect them like other roads

They seem to just slot to roads basically.

They have massive issues crossing rivers though, they can't seem to figure out where to auto-adjust.

By the way, it's really cool how the river keeps flooding and receeding. These fucking water physics! I'm so used to terrain being mostly static, it was so weird to watch the river swamp the shit out of some riverside houses just by virtue of... I don't know, it being spring or something.

Started a new city on this custom map called "Raerei Cove". It's quite the challenging map.

Yes, I polluted that beach, but there is another much larger/prettier beach (not in the shot) which I'm going to use for cruise liner and other pretty things. I had to use a weird highway on the one side that created an ugly bridge but it was needed because of traffic problems, the map is really cramped. It's a fun map.

fae2733403.jpg

46e0d2de59.jpg

Noaloha

What if the path is recalculated only after a set travel time, and some people will never change their path unless the path ceases to exist?

Maybe. The problem there again seems to be once you're at the 100k population and running with much more complicated route permutations based on increased roads. I think I'd look at the task more from an angle of allowing only limited cpu resources to dealing wth dynamic route adjustment (be that entirely different routes or lane switching). An approach that does its best to avoid scaling cpu demand up limitlessly. Something like having a setting in options where you can allocate X number of agents to, at any one time, be babysat by your CPU.

I'd be interested to learn just how long a full AI route recalculation would take during a paused game. Maybe a refresh AI option usable by the player could work. This would also be neat for those times after you do a big traffic fix, rather than having to wait for all the current AIs to flush out. Having said that, I can't say I like any solution which rewards a player with systemic efficiency for mashing a button.

I'd place a priority for lane switching behaviour on emergency/service vehicles, fire and ambulance, perhaps not so much Hearses.

One thing I would note though is that the game shouldn't necessarily look to achieve a complete simulation of real world behaviours. To a certain extent, the game can (does) simply work within the rules created by its own abstractions of real world behaviour. The matter of two hundred cars all using the outermost lane on a six-lane road is arguably just as much a player problem as it is a game one if those cars all want to get off the highway at one specific spot. There's an increasing number of gameplay case studies where players are figuring out ways, within the game's behavioural abstractions, to manipulate the AI such that they can mitigate the existing lane selection issues. Stuff like six-laners branching into three two-laners works fantastically well when its positioned central enough to make all three roads equally useful.

Linius

This is what I got so far. It's on 2500 pop at the moment though. I connected the haverford suburbs to the residential bit north of it. Along that road I created a high school so the massive amount of teens can go there.

At the moment I'm just doing a bit of everything. I'm not planning at all, just finding out how everything works. I already ran into the problem of running out of money. Had to raise taxes a bit to speed up the process of making money which resulted in a lot of empty industry buildings because the tax was too high (15%) :p

I envy some of cities I'm seeing in this thread. Such great work.

Durante

What gives GAF?
It's the same for any Unity game, because of the way it does resolution which I have detailed here. A workaround is setting your desktop resolution to your desired DSR resolution before starting the game.

Skux

You know what would be awesome after the 1st person mod - a driving mod which lets you pick a car and speed around your city.

Gandie

Got the whole day for this game :)

Still figuring out how to design my city, so it doesn't look like ass. Figuring out the raise/lower road tool will go a long way I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom