• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities with the highest quality of life in the world - Deutsche Bank 2017

CDX

http://www.businessinsider.com/worl...rall-and-purchasing-power-where-it-was-15th-1

LONDON — This week Deutsche Bank released its annual "Mapping the world's prices" report, cataloguing the cost of goods and services in a cross section of the world's biggest and most powerful cities around the world.

In 2017, for the first time, Deutsche Bank has included a ranking of the quality of life in 47 cities around the world. The ranking is based on eight sub-indexes compiled by crowd-sourced information database Numbeo, which create a broad picture of what it is like to live in different cities.

The indexes are: Purchasing Power, Safety, Health Care, Cost of Living, Property Price to Income Ratio, Traffic Commute Time, Pollution, and Climate.

I'll only post the top 10
10. Sydney, Australia — With all year round sunshine, Sydney is one of the world's most attractive cities, although it is not the most appealing in Australia. The city's top 10 overall score was helped by four sub-index scores between 11th and 15th.

9. Amsterdam, Netherlands — As a city renowned for the number of cyclists in its streets, it is perhaps unsurprising that the Dutch capital was the fourth best city for commute time.

8. Boston, USA — Deutsche Bank ranks Boston as the US city with the highest quality of life in 2017, with citizens in the Massachusetts city enjoying the world's second best purchasing power.

7. Ottawa, Canada — Canada's capital also has its best quality of life, finishing fourth overall in purchasing power, property price to income ratio, and pollution.

6. Copenhagen, Denmark — Copenhagen often features near the top of quality of life rankings, and Deutsche Bank's is no different. It is the fifth safest city on the list, and the eight least polluted.

5. Zurich, Switzerland — Switzerland is often held up as something of a utopia, and Zurich's rank on this list helps to confirm that reputation. Zurich was top of the purchasing power index, and second in both safety and pollution indexes.

4. Melbourne, Australia — Australia's second largest city has its best quality of life, according to Deutsche Bank. Melbourne has the third highest purchasing power of any city on the list, as well as top ten scores in healthcare, property price to income ratio, and climate.

3. Vienna, Austria — The honour of highest ranked city in a non-English speaking country goes to Austria's capital, thanks to the best healthcare of any city on the list, as well as being the sixth safest.

2. Edinburgh, UK — Capital of Scotland, Edinburgh might not be anywhere near as big or powerful as London, but it is much more liveable. With the best traffic commute time of any city, the second best health care ranking, and the third best pollution score it is easy to see why it ranks so high overall.

1. Wellington, New Zealand — Officially the city with the world's highest quality of life, according to Deutsche Bank, New Zealand's capital has the least pollution of any city ranked, and finished in the top ten in four other categories.

Full list of the top 47 cities from Deutsche Bank here:
https://i.imgur.com/IX9sbEW.png

HMD

I just googled Wellington to see what it looks like and holy shit that looks like paradise.

jaxom

i would want to see how they choose their cities to rank .

For example paris if far from the best city in France

Dyle

Well deserved for Edinburgh and Copenhagen. When I visited Europe both cities seemed like wonderful places to live and work. Hopefully someday I get spend more time there

Hmm no Asian or African countries huh

Tokyo, Bangalore, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Shanghai, Beijing, Kuala Lumpar are all in the top 50...

Lol we got #3 because of this
2650.jpeg
it really is a very good hospital but boy is it fugly inside and out.

boxoctosis

Edinburgh is a fantastic place to live. Been here since 1998, and couldn't see myself going anywhere else. Only downside is I need to travel for my job more, but the upsides, particularly the quick access to the countryside are fantastic.

danthefan

I'm from Dublin, I don't think we should be any higher on the list so it's not really a complaint in the sense but I'm amazed at the safety index being so high, which I assume means the city is unsafe, which it isn't at all from my entire lifes experience. Wonder how they measure it.

Edit, it's a ranking isn't it. I'm sure it's fair enough so.

TyrantII

More confirmation of on my decision to buy property in Boston. Fingers​ crossed Trump doesn't launch us into a depression.

Apathy

Isn't property stupid expensive there? That would knock it way down the list.

Toronto is 14 and our property cost is insane as well.
It's just that Vancouver sucks that much, XD

While it's nice Ottawa finally won something, I don't think I've ever been to a more boring "big city" than it. Ottawa is the "watching paint dry" of cities. It's lucky it has Montreal so close

Hycran

Banned
You're telling me it's better to live in Rio, the murder capital of the world, or Istanbul under Erdogan. Than it is to live in Vancouver? I don't care how high the housing market is the list is mental.

frontovik

Banned
As a Vancouver resident, I'm not surprised to see that it's nowhere near top 10.

The cost of living here is absurdly expensive and not on par with the quality of life in contrast to the other featured cities.

nacimento

Sydney so high must mean public transport is irrelevant to the list. Their public transport is a joke. Apart from that and the prices great city though.

RM8

Okay I wasn't expecting Mexico City to be in the list <3 Costs of living, weather, food, a crapload of museums, extremely cheap transportation, it's honestly a really nice place.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Man I've always wanted to move to new Zealand for a year or two. I might just try this for the sake of it.

CDX

Vancouver isn't even there? wut

Isn't property stupid expensive there? That would knock it way down the list.

Sydney is more expensive, heck most of the cities listed are in the top list of expensive cities.

While other expensive cities are on the list. I'm guessing Vancouver's salaries aren't high enough compared to it's expensive property prices, at least when compared to other expensive cities.

The indexes are: Purchasing Power, Safety, Health Care, Cost of Living, Property Price to Income Ratio, Traffic Commute Time, Pollution, and Climate.

Cost of Living, Property Price to Income Ratio, Traffic Commute Time

Yet, somehow, San Francisco is on the list?

I guess those Software Developers are well paid.

But, San Francisco did rank #1 on the entire list for climate. So I imagine the weather helped it's overall ranking a bit too.

List is really good. Boston at 8 and Ottawa at 7 are solid picks. Both really nice cities to walk around in and I'm sure live in. Boston at least has good mass transit.

Dabanton

You're telling me it's better to live in Rio, the murder capital of the world, or Istanbul under Erdogan. Than it is to live in Vancouver? I don't care how high the housing market is the list is mental.

Haha I looked at that entire list and some of the choices were certainly interesting.

Sonicbug

Wow, whoever wrote that article fucked up and used a picture of god knows where as the Boston picture. (Maybe Boston UK?)

Wellington seems to be very nice place to live. Reminds me somehow of San Francisco.
I'm not too sure about earthquakes though.

Lol we got #3 because of this

it really is a very good hospital but boy is it fugly inside and out.

Apart from it's look we can consider ourselves happy to have that in our tiny country.
It's one of the biggest hospitals in the world with literally thousands of skilled employees and top notch equipment and treatments.

It also has an amazing history full of horrors and "surprises".
i.e. the "Narrenturm" ("Fool's Tower"); world's first mental asylum which also happens to feature one of the oldest lightning rods ever.
8SHuhHv.jpg

CCxj3Vp.jpg

Some say the lightning rod was used to "treat" patients.....you know,
frankenstein like..

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Clearly weather wasn't a factor in the rankings, or Wellington and Edinburgh would have been much lower. One's always raining, the other is always raining.

Top Bottom