• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CitizenCon 2018: Star Citizen shows over an hour of NEW gameplay

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
There was ofcourse Squadron 42 that got dropped today, but we also got over an hour of new gameplay from the main title, Star Citizen.

The first few mins (Ill watch it fully tonight) definitely gave me vibes to Cyberpunk 2077. The open level structure where the entire city was shown in plain sight and it was not some cardboard background.. its definitely a next-gen feeling. The city rendering in terms of complexity and the scale of rendering are things that on its own is incredibly impressive. And ofcourse even this looks quite polished. But it remains to be seen how SC will turn out. There is a reason the game attract infamy.

But this gameplay? It looks well, it looks next-gen. It looks like an actual product. Now, how far SC actually is in terms of playability is something we have to find out.

Cloud Imperium has stated they will release a roadmap in December. So that will be the next moment to look forward to. For now, enjoy this 1.5 hours of gameplay.

Last edited:
PTU is buggy as shit since it introduced a lot of stuff but that was to be expected. They're really maintaining schedule of releasing quarterly updates and it's shaping up quickly.

Cosmogony

Yeah, for some reason, comparisons to Cyberpunk 2077 did come to mind.

It holds up nicely in that regard.

Looks more impressive and more glitchy and more still-years-in-the-making than Squadron 42, that's for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stuart360

I remember when they did that demo/beta thing like a year ago, i was getting 10fps with a I5-6600K and a 980ti lol.

Inviusx

It looks like the entire engine is about to implode at any moment. I actually get anxious watching this footage.

DiscoJer

I basically buy a new PC every 5 years, so I will looking forward to playing this 2 PCs from now (figure 5 years from release, then another 5 years for a reasonably priced PC to play it well)

Hudo

It looks like the entire engine is about to implode at any moment. I actually get anxious watching this footage.
I actually agree. It really looks unstable. I was waiting for this whole thing to crash and burn. Would love to see how long the error/exception log was after the presentation.

WaterAstro

So was this being played live? Can't tell without seeing the stage and the person playing. It looks awkwardly smooth for it to be live.

Hudo

So was this being played live? Can't tell without seeing the stage and the person playing. It looks awkwardly smooth for it to be live.
Yeah it was. There was one bit where the player fucked up a jumping section a couple of times and died. They then proceeded to spawn him back again to the right place via console commands.

O-N-E

Do they not have any female NPCs? Don't keep up with this game aside from when it pops up and I shake my head in confusion.

Are they going to populate each planet like this ? Because this looks like they would need to create one Cyberpunk worth of content to populate each planet.

And well that's one impressive feature creep - people wanted Wing Commander spiritual successor and instead they spend most of time walking on planet running with gun.

Larxia

Like when you are filling a balloon with air, or stretching a guitar string, that feeling that it can just explode at any moment lol.

Do they not have any female NPCs? Don't keep up with this game aside from when it pops up and I shake my head in confusion.
No female characters at all, playable either, for now I think, but it's planned.

Are they going to populate each planet like this ? Because this looks like they would need to create one Cyberpunk worth of content to populate each planet.

And well that's one impressive feature creep - people wanted Wing Commander spiritual successor and instead they spend most of time walking on planet running with gun.
They spent quite some time working on a procedural tool to generate many different types of surfaces / environments, cities included. They first use these tool to have a base to work on, and then tweak stuff manually. There was a demonstration of these tools last year :
(33:15 if time stamp isn't working)

Last edited:

masterkajo

CitizenCon is quite the appropriate name.
ohyou.jpg

Redneckerz

Yeah, for some reason, comparisons to Cyberpunk 2077 did come to mind.

It holds up nicely in that regard.

Looks more impressive and more glitchy and more still-years-in-the-making than Squadron 42, that's for sure.
What is there is quite impressive:
  • Scale
  • Hyper detailed cities, everything approachable
  • Multiple render view points (Imagine that with Cryengine)
  • A functional public transport system
And so on. From the technical end of it, its incredibly impressive.

However, the entire gameplay was filled with glitches, which were hilarious to see, but it also proves how incredibly janky everything is. Rendering wise its amazing what they have built, but the gameplay systems within are so numerous and so complex that its held together like ducttape. And even more features are planned!

Like, this demo did show the very first signs of how proper SC gameplay is going to look like.. which is incredible. You need a little bit of imagination for it, but what was shown has amazing potential.

The bigger issue is to streamline all these ducttaped systems and create actually exciting gameplay. To that i am still unsure. The game looked like it was carrying the weight of a whole universe (lol) around it which shows that all this ambition is marred to severe performance drawbacks.

I actually agree. It really looks unstable. I was waiting for this whole thing to crash and burn. Would love to see how long the error/exception log was after the presentation.
Unironically, there was a moment where a new bug was discovered mid-gameplay and they whispered to write up a report about it.

As much as i love seeing this in action, i don't think its beneficial to development to show long gameplays like that where every glitch is exposed completely and even new ones pop up in your live gameplay.

Apparently that's the idea. I was amazed at how detailed that whole place is, then i realized its only one place on one planet, and they want dozens of planets to be visited like this gameplay.

If that was not already enough, but that's some next level development time then.

What is there is quite impressive:
  • Scale
  • Hyper detailed cities, everything approachable
  • Multiple render view points (Imagine that with Cryengine)
  • A functional public transport system
And so on. From the technical end of it, its incredibly impressive.

Apparently that's the idea. I was amazed at how detailed that whole place is, then i realized its only one place on one planet, and they want dozens of planets to be visited like this gameplay.

If that was not already enough, but that's some next level development time then.

They spent quite some time working on a procedural tool to generate many different types of surfaces / environments, cities included. They first use these tool to have a base to work on, and then tweak stuff manually. There was a demonstration of these tools last year :

While technically impressive I think this is major problem for the game they went too ambitious and this will cost them tens of millions of dollars to populate all the planets - even using procedural generation that's still several games worth of content to be put inside SC world.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Anyone want a Kickstarter account for this game? I've never gotten around to playing this and likely never will. I have 3 pages of various backer rewards from 2013 onwards and they mean nothing to me. I also have 1 available 'Handle Change' profile reset thingie, and some money (UEC ¤29,000 UEC + REC ¤5,000 REC) on my profile which is also meaningless to me.

I'm sure this could sell on eBay for a few shekels. However, if you're serious about playing the game I might as well give it to a fellow GAFfer. Would prefer to give it to an active poster, not just some rando so... uhh to qualify you must have at least 20 posts in Gaming section within the last 30 days.

PM me if interested.

Edit: claimed.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

While technically impressive I think this is major problem for the game they went too ambitious and this will cost them tens of millions of dollars to populate all the planets - even using procedural generation that's still several games worth of content to be put inside SC world.
Certainly. If they want to do what they claim they want to do - This game will need another 3-4 years before it becomes playable. Visually it would be behind the curve, but adequate if it came out, but hey, atleast it would be a fully interactive world that mimics real life parameters more than everything else.

Personally, i think the game will finish in the next decade, but i am also not ruling out that CI runs out of funds and is forced to released the game in episodes.

SScorpio

Certainly. If they want to do what they claim they want to do - This game will need another 3-4 years before it becomes playable. Visually it would be behind the curve, but adequate if it came out, but hey, atleast it would be a fully interactive world that mimics real life parameters more than everything else.

Personally, i think the game will finish in the next decade, but i am also not ruling out that CI runs out of funds and is forced to released the game in episodes.

Squadron 42 was already going to be episodic, but the claim is each part would be a full length game. We'll have to see what actually happens.

Redneckerz

Squadron 42 was already going to be episodic, but the claim is each part would be a full length game. We'll have to see what actually happens.
Yeah, i forgot to mention that. Each S42 Episode was going to be analogus to a full game - Which just sounds like overambition if you ask me. Perhaps when all the systems are in they can be iterative on their content, but for now, its all a lot of promises.

Star Citizen looks incredibly boring and uninspired at this point.
I'm sorry but both Cyberpunk 2077 and Anthem have set the tone for what an ambitious immersive sci-fi game should look like, and SC looks like any other boring, badly design and vapid sci-fi games.

Kadayi

Banned

Interesting Youtube series all about Chris Roberts, Star Citizen and the problems and pitfalls of Kickstarted projects.

Ship rental/purchases are in the game ahead of schedule. Prices are random and they'll be adjusting with feedback but keep in mind that a ship purchase is supposed to be comparable to going to the dealership to buy a brand new car. They'll always take a couple months of focused play or a group effort.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Star Citizen looks incredibly boring and uninspired at this point.
I'm sorry but both Cyberpunk 2077 and Anthem have set the tone for what an ambitious immersive sci-fi game should look like, and SC looks like any other boring, badly design and vapid sci-fi games.

You can’t even compare both games with SC. And Anthem....lol, then what is Destiny?

Top Bottom