• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

City of Heroes private server has been running for years.

BigBooper

The CityofHeroes subreddit, various Facebook groups, and private forums have blown up today with the public revelation that a private server for City of Heroes has been operating for several years.

A player on the server broke NDA and leaked details, speculations, and some probable fake news in a bit of retaliation or guilt about the existence of a secret server. His youtube channel has more info.

Article about the leak. Including acknowledgement and comments by the leader for the private server.

Gameplay video. View the Youtube channel for more

I hope this causes the server code to leak out massively to prevent any cease and desist order from shutting them down.

Last edited:

DiscoJer

Dammit. I played that game until it closed down. Why didn't anyone tell me?

Anyway, any personal info is 6+ years old and so likely worthless. So even if that was leaked, who cares?

Last edited:

BunzLee

There's a ton of drama going on around this. Mostly since the server was pretty much inacessible to the public - Only around 200 selected people got to play on the secret server. A lot of people are pretty butthurt due to a "if I can't play, nobody can" mentality. Some of the OG devs are allegedly involved, but the group that has the server running denies a bigger involvement from those devs. There's also the accusation that an elite part of the subreddit is able to play, and that the mods have been keeping this a secret to prevent a shutdown. It's a mess, really.

Personally, I think it's pretty cool that this there's a working server emulator around, even though most of us would never have gotten the chance to play it. Let's hope NCSoft doesn't instantly shut this down, that might give us a chance to get back on CoH in the future.

BigBooper

I agree that the people who want them shut down are very childish. However, I think it's obvious that they had no intention in actually making this public, so I personally wouldn't care either way if they were shut down because I would have no chance to play it anyways.

I'm just hoping the pressure forces their hand and they release it publicly before any legal action.

Top Bottom