• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CityVille, once Facebook's most popular game, closes April 30

ploppy

Banned
Just goes to show that none of these "casual" games really last very long, but do shine brightly. That's not necessarily a problem so long as the devs behind them plan for each game to have a limited life span, and they move onto the next.

vareon

While I understand the very nature of games as a service, I still can't come to like it. Once it's dead it's dead. No LTTP, no playthrough after 10+ years, no new players discovering old gems...

It's not how I want my game, if I ever make any, to be, at least.

SerTapTap

While I understand the very nature of games as a service, I still can't come to like it. Once it's dead it's dead. No LTTP, no playthrough after 10+ years, no new players discovering old gems...

It's not how I want my game, if I ever make any, to be, at least.

Yeah, it's a big part of why I can't get into MMOs. Though fortunately most F2P games like CityVille have terrible gameplay anyway so I wouldn't miss them anyway.

I wonder if the people playing these games will ever crave a more permanent and rewarding gaming experience. I wonder if they even recognize them as games and if somebody who put hours into CityVille might be drawn to something like Civilization later down the road.

I'm trying to find a silver lining to this industry.

I think it's interesting to note the similarities between facebook games and mobile games and how fast they grow and die off in a few years due to the fickle casual audience and the fact that most of the money is obtained from the 1% of whales.

Mobile games is booming just like facebook games but I can't help but feel in 5-10 years, we'll see popular mobile games die off like this and abandoned once they stop making money and people move on to the next big thing. With major companies shutting down conventional studios that make steady profits in a growing audience to chase after the fickle casual gaming crowd, I can't help but feel the folly behind their intentions when it eventually turns to bust in a few years.

Top Bottom