• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civil War 4 | Fighting game tournament | April 27-29

Whelp.

Today is ruined.

I think his trip to NCR where he just got to hang out and have fun really drove the point home.

I don't like his decision, but I'll respect it. That man deserves the respect of everyone in the community. He's a fuckin' household name for us.

I wish him well.

Infinite

I remember pre 09 Spo00ky when he was fucking gdlk at Melty Blood and threw a bunch of tournies for it and had training sessions at his house. I attended some. Holy shit teamsp00ky.com

wildfire

Banned
I only started fighting tournaments regularly last year and spooky was easily over 60% of the streams.

None of the remaining streamers are going to step up enough to collectively cover for spooky's absence.

Azure J

Seriously, this is fucking depressing. I just started streaming thanks to Marvel early last year and Spooky's streams really brought a balanced level of both hype and professionalism that I haven't really seen outside of his gig. This is really going to fucking suck and even if I understand his position, I can't deny that there's a part of me going "NOOO STAY BASED SPOOKY!"

I only started fighting tournaments regularly last year and spooky was easily over 60% of the streams.

None of the remaining streamers are going to step up enough to collectively cover for spooky's absence.

before you started streaming last year, other people streamed tournaments as well...I started watching in '09. Its my understanding that people did audio commentary before video streaming was up to snuff. It was occasionally a question of whether an event would be streamed or not. He just became the defacto standard cause he's awesome. Instead of spooky streaming some tournament in Oklahoma, the local crew will do it.

It's the end of an era, but the streams will definitely live. More hopefuls will step up.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I refuse to believe this. Reasons like twitch viewers not carrying over make this seem like an elaborate troll because he seemed to not really care about that (it's a non-issue really). Then again he's been entering more tournaments lately, and with all these issues and stuff he's been frustrated, but I didnt see him getting more frustrated at stream monsters either recently.

He just put out a promo vid for TS too. I didn't hear it, but I sincerely hope this is just him blowing off frustration from recent stream issues. If he's serious, whatever his real reasoning is, he hasn't been quite open about it for us to predict it.

...this is the FGC drama I don't want. :(

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
sp00ky probably just taking a break until SFxT is dead so he doesn't have to watch it anymore.

Sp00ky needs a team like Levelup to lessen the work load for him. One man army just burns you out way too fast.

level up crew has Jimmy, AJ, Frank, and 0ffcast. That's 4 dudes working on the stream. Spooky has himself that's just too much for any man. He doesn't get any breaks what so ever. He can't even take a shit when he wants. God damn...

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Sp00ky needs everybody's support right now. He's been there for us since nearly the beginning. It's time to be there for him.

Aedile

I think he'll still do locals to some extent. I can't see him dropping streaming 100% forever.

No reason why he couldn't, but I remember he said back in the Ustream days that he was either going to dedicate himself to streaming completely or he wasn't going to do it at all, since he wouldn't want to deal with the stress of streaming tournaments alongside working full-time. I think Ustream was stiffing him on money at the time, and he talked about the possibility of leaving streaming rather than working like a dog without any sort of financial security. (For all of Spooky's amazing tournament work, it was those almost nightly house streams when all that was going down at the old Casa de Spooky--with the retrogaming, the Knightmare, the poverty anime, Chris Hu dropping by to complain to stream monsters about his love life, compelling footage of Arturo sleeping--that made me into a huge Team Spooky fan above and beyond anything to do with fighting games.)

While Spooky's position now might not be comparable to the one he was in then, the politics of the FGC have also changed a lot over the course of the past few years. While I hope he was just blowing off some steam, maybe both he and the FGC are in a place where it just isn't worthwhile for him to bust his hump anymore.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
No reason why he couldn't, but I remember he said back in the Ustream days that he was either going to dedicate himself to streaming completely or he wasn't going to do it at all, since he wouldn't want to deal with the stress of streaming tournaments alongside working full-time. I think Ustream was stiffing him on money at the time, and he talked about the possibility of leaving streaming rather than working like a dog without any sort of financial security. (For all of Spooky's amazing tournament work, it was those almost nightly house streams when all that was going down at the old Casa de Spooky--with the retrogaming, the Knightmare, the poverty anime, Chris Hu dropping by to complain to stream monsters about his love life, compelling footage of Arturo sleeping--that made me into a huge Team Spooky fan above and beyond anything to do with fighting games.)

While Spooky's position now might not be comparable to the one he was in then, the politics of the FGC have also changed a lot over the course of the past few years. While I hope he was just blowing off some steam, maybe both he and the FGC are in a place where it just isn't worthwhile for him to bust his hump anymore.
I thought Sp00ky didn't have a full time job and quit it to stream?

Still though.. this is one of the few times I'm gonna use my personal twitter to show love.

zlatko

Banned
Sp00ky needs everybody's support right now. He's been there for us since nearly the beginning. It's time to be there for him.

It might be time for him to get others to help him at the tournaments permanently, and maybe lighten up on the reins of him running the whole show to make it go smoothly.

That's the only way I could see it working out. Or he can join the MLG illuminati. :D

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It might be time for him to get others to help him at the tournaments permanently, and maybe lighten up on the reins of him running the whole show to make it go smoothly.

That's the only way I could see it working out. Or he can join the MLG illuminati. :D
Man if Arturo got a job at MLG, if Sp00ky quits, I guarantee he's going to get offers from various places.

I think it's about time tournament organizers begin distributing responsibilities properly if it's only going to lead to this over and over.

Aedile

I thought Sp00ky didn't have a full time job and quit it to stream?

It was a few years back, so my memory may be faulty, but I think he was living off his savings at that point. The question was whether to go and work a 9-5 or take a gamble and dedicate himself to streaming as a profession.

Top Bottom