• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civil war hits Damascus, senior regime figures killed

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Has it been confirmed to be a suicide bomber? I've heard reports that someone planted a bomb in the room, Stauffenberg style.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
syria.png

The Damascus suicide bombing
Today's killing of Assad officials raises uncomfortable questions about the meaning and justifiability of Terrorism
By Glenn Greenwald

http://www.salon.com/2012/07/18/the_damascus_suicide_bombing/

how is it terrorism, in a war and the attack in question targeted the head of the opposing force?!

I want to understand how the events of the last 10 years, especially the last 12 months, impacts geopolitical power both globally and regionally. Who gains from this? Who suffers?

You mean China? Forget about the Middle East. Just look at how China is screwing over Russia, and their geopolitical advances in Central Asia when it comes to natural gases and oil.

I separate terrorism by defining it as the intentional attack on innocent civilians. By that definition, Syria has been engaging in terrorism for a while now, gunning down protesters.

Then again, when the Maryland sniper was going around killing people, they didn't call that terrorism.

Seems to be just a tired argument about semantics so its best to not use it at all anymore.

It is interesting because I don't consider Kamakazis suicide bombers. That word does have the association with Terrorism.

I do think terrorism is such a vague word. Regimes can justify any attack as terrorism. But then that leaves no room for legitament attacks on oppressive regimes. I don't know if attacking a military target really is terrorism. It is a dicey question and goes to uncomfortable places

TheNatural

My Member!
It is interesting because I don't consider Kamakazis suicide bombers. That word does have the association with Terrorism.

I do think terrorism is such a vague word. Regimes can justify any attack as terrorism. But then that leaves no room for legitament attacks on oppressive regimes. I don't know if attacking a military target really is terrorism. It is a dicey question and goes to uncomfortable places

Yeah pretty much. It's being used as an out now by shitty regimes being overthrown. I think the only real legitimate use of this word is a person for whatever reason, killing people in a mass attack when the country is peaceful and not in a state of war. Basically a mass attack on innocent civilians.

WARCOCK

Banned
Fuck the west and their regional games. This shit is going to probably devolve like Lebanon. Thousands are going to die without any drastic change.

sflufan

Banned
Fuck the west and their regional games. This shit is going to probably devolve like Lebanon. Thousands are going to die without any drastic change.

And you completely deny that this has anything to do with a proxy conflict between Sunni Arab states and Shiite Iran? It's ALL the fault of "the West."

how is it terrorism, in a war and the attack in question targeted the head of the opposing force?!
Well, the same group who claims to be behind this attack has bombed civilian public places. I rarely hear a word of condemnation by the western government.

What's the most weird thing about today's suicide bombing is that the UK gov has condemned it while ex-US gov officials calls the one who did it a -martyr-.

WARCOCK

Banned
And you completely deny that this has anything to do with a proxy conflict between Sunni Arab states and Shiite Iran? It's ALL the fault of "the West."

Those tensions were ever there, the proper nudges and incentives were external i think.

The Western governments are pursuing a regime change on the basis of "Freedom & Democracy for the Syrian People". Not the oil & gas sheikdoms of tyranny. but Now it all makes sense. United Sunni States of America.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Well, the same group who claims to be behind this attack has bombed civilian public places. I rarely hear a word of condemnation by the western government.

What's the most weird thing about today's suicide bombing is that the UK gov has condemned it while ex-US gov officials calls the one who did it a -martyr-.

they denied it.

Jackpot

Banned
The Western governments are pursuing a regime change on the basis of "Freedom & Democracy for the Syrian People". Not the oil & gas sheikdoms of tyranny. but Now it all makes sense. United Sunni States of America.

Do you still deny the massacres Assad's forces have carried out? The mass shellings of civilian populaces?

Be more specific. Name the massacres.

Either this is level 3 troll powers, or you're just closing your eyes, plugging your ears and saying "lalalalalalala" over and over again. There's video out there. There are stories out there. There's first hand testimony out there.

C'mon man. Don't ask for details when it's already understood.

Edit: Cheezmo down under here is right....sigh.

Fularu

Banned
Everything that has occurred in the last few months. This isn't something needing a ton of specificity to find an example. It's not a needle in a haystack. It's more like non massacres being the needle in the haystack!
You do realise plenty of those were carried by the FSA and various "rebel" groups right? While the regime has done despicable things, lots of what it's been attributed wasn't done by it.

CHEEZMO™;40008065 said:
Please don't entertain the lunacy :/

Fine, Cheezmo, open the doors to the Gold Mine I showed you earlier and begin.

You do realise plenty of those were carried by the FSA and various "rebel" groups right? While the regime has done despicable things, lots of what it's been attributed wasn't done by it.

The fact you acknowledge that alone is a world of difference.

gabbo

Neither side should be free from criticism for their actions, regardless of their respective ends

Wazzim

Banned
Russia would be crazy to give up their only base in the ME without having another back-up.

Maybe it's time for them to negotiate with nations like Palestine and/or Iran in case of a rebel controlled Syria?

Russia would be crazy to give up their only base in the ME without having another back-up.

Maybe it's time for them to negotiate with nations like Palestine and/or Iran in case of a rebel controlled Syria?

You do realize Palestine is under Israeli control. And turning their lot in with Iran. Good luck with that.

Russia screwed themselves. They probably could have secured the base with whatever new government if they weren't so head over heels in love with Assad

You do realize Palestine is under Israeli control. And turning their lot in with Iran. Good luck with that.

Russia screwed themselves. They probably could have secured the base with whatever new government if they weren't so head over heels in love with Assad

It's not always bad news for Russia. they pretty much profited from the Libyan crisis by exporting more oil to Europe.

Wazzim

Banned

Iran may be difficult because of their 'pride' but I can't see what Israel can do against Russia when it comes to a base in Palestine.

Cromat

Don't you think the Arabs have some sort of responsibility on their current situation?
Is it all the West?

You're talking as if Assad could have kept on ruling Syria in prosperity for all eternity if it wasn't for the West. Face it, an entire country being run by a single family, essentially a Mafia, while the majority have their rights suppressed and their opinions ignored is not a viable proposition. It would have ended eventually.

If Bashar had any sense he would have transitioned his country into a secular democracy when he rose to power, but he preferred to keep his Mafia-style regime in place. He earned his eventual fate - exile for the rest of his life or being lynched by an angry mob. The sad thing is that Syrians will now have to suffer through years of instability and rule by crazy Islamists which are seen as the only alternative to the secular dictatorships. True pluralism has no chance in an atmosphere like that and Syria will suffer from sectarian violence and internal strife.

The Arab world needs to find a sustainable political model that can give Arabs the prosperity they deserve (and had in the Middle Ages). You can't blame the West for this. More people died in Syria since the uprising began than the entire Israeli-Arab conflict in the last 30 years.

Fularu

Banned
Neither side should be free from criticism for their actions, regardless of their respective ends
The FSA gets a free pass in the west despite beeing little more than a ragtag of foreign fighters (pouring through Jordan, Irak and Lebannon mostly), real terrorrists and Muslim Brotherhood members. While there are some idealists fighting for "freedom" and "democracy" they are few and far between.

I thoroughly dread an islamists ruled Syria. Not only for my family, but for the country as a whole.

FACE

Banned
Either this is level 3 troll powers, or you're just closing your eyes, plugging your ears and saying "lalalalalalala" over and over again. There's video out there. There are stories out there. There's first hand testimony out there.

C'mon man. Don't ask for details when it's already understood.

Edit: Cheezmo down under here is right....sigh.

Have a look at this.

demolitio

I wonder when Russia will cut its losses and back down so they don't make an unnecessary enemy out of a possible new Syrian government after this is all over with. I guess they'll wait until they really think Assad is done for and then jump ship to try and stay on the winning side at the end.

Throughout history, there's plenty of examples of just how powerful the will to win is in a conflict, even if it seems like an impossible task. As long as the people have the will and strength to fight through it all, they'll eventually wear down the enemy.

It was in Bulgaria, not Israel. The targets were Israeli though.

Israeli youth at that. That's something that hits home to every citizen basically so it's easier to agree with any responses. They're blaming Iran (whether true or not, no one knows right now) but I guess Iran is hoping their proxies leave them free from blame. Bulgarian officials said the bomber had a fake Michigan driver's license though. *Note* Just judging on this incident alone and not the conflict in general.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
syria.png

The Damascus suicide bombing
Today's killing of Assad officials raises uncomfortable questions about the meaning and justifiability of Terrorism
By Glenn Greenwald

http://www.salon.com/2012/07/18/the_damascus_suicide_bombing/
Attacks aimed at military targets do not preclude them from being labeled terrorism. The attack on the Pentagon, even if it had done significant damage, wouldn't have disrupted the American military apparatus enough to result in key strategic gains for the attackers. It was a purely symbolic attack. Whether or not the attack on the officials was justifiable, it is not at all uncommon to target key members of the opposition to destabilize their ability to carry out further violence, if that is indeed the intended aim of the bomber. With that said, the means to bring it about are somewhat unsettling, if for no other reason than the associations of suicide bombing with terrorism.

I wonder when Russia will cut its losses and back down so they don't make an unnecessary enemy out of a possible new Syrian government after this is all over with. I guess they'll wait until they really think Assad is done for and then jump ship to try and stay on the winning side at the end.

I'd wager chemical weapon deployment would accelerate the process, though I suspect Russia would still drag its feet. Safety to its citizens in Syria and its sea base would likely effect the process too. Non CW issues/events would be the fall of Damascus, the death of Bashir Assad, and attacks by Assad that could trigger outside intervention (say Turkey, Israel, or Jordan).

leroidys

The FSA gets a free pass in the west despite beeing little more than a ragtag of foreign fighters (pouring through Jordan, Irak and Lebannon mostly), real terrorrists and Muslim Brotherhood members. While there are some idealists fighting for "freedom" and "democracy" they are few and far between.

I thoroughly dread an islamists ruled Syria. Not only for my family, but for the country as a whole.

The FSA makes me EXTREMELY uneasy, but I don't think you can deny the right of the Syrian people to rise up against the regime that has sluaghtered tens of thousands.

goomba

Banned
Sucks this is going on so long :(

Same for bahrain but funnily enough the western media ignores what's happening over there...

goomba

Banned
The FSA makes me EXTREMELY uneasy, but I don't think you can deny the right of the Syrian people to rise up against the regime that has sluaghtered tens of thousands.

Be careful who you call "the Syrian people" . This is civil war , there are "Syrian people " on both sides , that's what makes it a civil war.

Remarkable how the majority of news regarding international conflict, world affairs and war breaks on Twitter, a social networking site just 7 years old, used by pretty much everyone.

The day has come where we can hear the voices of all, broadcasting their opinions on what's happening in the world right now.

goomba

Banned
Oh I must have missed the recent use of heavy artillery and gunships in the last week or so, damn this TDKR hype.

Both conflicts have been going on for about the same amount of time. I know Syria is much worse but don't you think the US support of the Bahrian regime against their uprising looks biased when compared to how they back the uprising in Syria ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom