• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization series ships over 35 million copies

Durante

Loved 1-3, it went downhill afterwards though.
Really? IMHO, 4 with its expansions is the best implementation of square-based/stacking Civilization, and 5 with its respective expansions is a quite different but equally excellent take on the gameplay.

Nzyme32

Loved 1-3, it went downhill afterwards though. At least there is still Paradox left.

Civ 3, 4 and 5 have been amazing in their own rights. I would argue Civ 4 and 5 were dependant on the expansions, but still were excellent. I had Civ 2 but I was a bit on the young side to properly understand it back then.

Civ VI is shaping up superbly. I'll get it when the price isn't so absurd in the UK, although buying it from one of the other sites doing it for a more reasonable price might be what I do nearer the time.

PSqueak

Banned
Can't said i am surprised, if there is one thing i hate about the series is how there is no "playing just a little civ", you fire up that game, you sign a 4 hours minimum engagement.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
They are all great. I started playing them on Amiga. I can't believe there isn't any real competitors to a whole genre, 4x.

Nzyme32

And of course, this is well deserved. To the next 35 Million:

168.gif

That gif needs an update soon

Vex_

Banned
speaking as a new player who only played V.... CiV made me a fan of the series. I cant wait till ciVi comes out now!

I'm honestly surprised this number isn't higher considering how popular this franchise is and how often IV and V go on sale on Steam. But well-deserved!

1-4 are all good with 2 being my favorite. V is an insult to the series and there is nothing VI can do to win me back.

They're all great. 4 is my favorite. 5 has problems that even two strong expansions could not entirely overcome, but it's still a fun game.

Civ 6 is going to be good too. I am a little worried that they're building on 5's foundations, but the new civics system looks quite promising.

Vex_

Banned
I hope they DO build on V's foundations. That game is perfect. The way the other games sound (1-4), they were probably too complicated for no reason.

Glad VI seems to be a nice follow up to V. As it should be. Get rid of the trash (fat) and just leave the goodstuff.

Top Bottom