• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cladun x2 |OT| -- Classic Dungeon! Again! [Now on Steam! Woah!]

krYlon said:
Disappointed by the lack of reviews for this.

Has anyone here played it? Is it better than the first?
Still no reviews listed on Metacritic and Gamerankings. Is anybody covering this game?

I'd also love to hear more detailed impressions from those who've played it, especially how it compares to ClaDun 1.

Played for 4h 57m

Went back to lvl'ing my other characters.

LqJox.png

my favorite two characters.

main is the ranger with her crossbow. Harrietta <3
Other is Fiora lol. the swordmage.

I also have a warrior.

9RWZA.png

Dot. ;D

Tarazet

DMPrince said:
played the ran-geon's neogen dungeon. made it to floor 7 and now the enemies are at lvl 20 lol. i'm lvl 9. fuuuuuu.

I tried it too. Some trips through it have been good, but once I stumbled into a Doom Gate (which is hidden, like a trap), and got faced with a level 385 monster. I was like, fuck you guys. Seriously.

Tarazet

I'm trying to find a good use for the Bat Coat. It has DEF -44, but it has the potentially useful title of Vamp. That means you get a damage drain for your attacks, but no EXP gain. Probably the only way to use it properly is to buy four of them, get the title, and attach it to a better piece of armor. Then that could become a badass item-farming piece.

Tarazet

All right. Best thing you can do early on is get yourself a good shield and an Aloe Rod. Anything in at least the first six dungeons can be dispatched by deflecting its attack with a shield, then blowing it away with one of those slow-moving destructive shells. I'm punching way over my weight with this technique.

Also, I figured out a couple things about the Magic Circle which aren't intuitive or which, at the very least, I didn't understand from the tutorials.

- In the slots for Ability artifacts, you'll see numbers 1, 2, and 3. Those correspond to your three equipped ability/magic slots. So if you equip the "M/A Lv +100%," that makes your level 20 spell into a level 40 spell. That's a pretty damn potent artifact. Unfortunately, if you pair it with Widen, it doesn't turn into a level 80 spell. Anyway, it only works on the slot you equip it to. So if you want to buff up the level of two abilities at once, you need two of them and you need two slots.

- Swordmage's "Pent-Up Power" circle has a cryptic space called "Fix Space Seal." What this means is, when it's triggered by an artifact, all of the other effects on the board - Fatemate, Mana 2X, Won't Heal, etc. - are all turned off. This also means, unfortunately, that you can't use any of the artifact spaces that are trapped behind those fixed spaces unless you turn them back on, and take the bad with the good.

- You can mix and match different kinds of artifacts to get the 2X effect from the Joint title. You can do up or down and left or right at the same time; just make sure the flow follows the arrows.

Tarazet

No one still playing this? It manages to walk that fine line between being too accessible and being too batshit crazy. You give it a whirl and before you know it, you've gone down the rabbit hole.

I greatly look forward to playing this. It's a shame it had to come out just when I got Xenoblade, because my gaming time is all accounted for right now.

Tarazet

TomcatTheLion said:
Damn I haven't even played the first game yet. D:

I haven't played it either, but I've given X2 almost 50 hours already and I haven't finished the preset dungeons, nor gotten more than 10 floors into one of the randomized ones.

Tarazet

Much like any other NIS game.. if you tough it out and get to the point where you can really take advantage of the stacking multiplier effects, you become unstoppable. It would take an incredible amount of time to get through this game the hard way, but the game gives all sorts of outlandish ways to cheat your way to the top. Right now, I'm running a magic circle that has my Lv. 32 Wizard running with 354 SP, with a Mana Debt capability of 534 SP. Then I've got a 100% level boost on my Fire Storm.

What that means is by using a single spell, I can one-shot a boss that's 30 levels higher than me. And all I have to do is wait for a countdown to get down to zero, and I can do it again.. as often as I want.

freemantim

Neo Member
Tarazet said:
Much like any other NIS game.. if you tough it out and get to the point where you can really take advantage of the stacking multiplier effects, you become unstoppable. It would take an incredible amount of time to get through this game the hard way, but the game gives all sorts of outlandish ways to cheat your way to the top. Right now, I'm running a magic circle that has my Lv. 32 Wizard running with 354 SP, with a Mana Debt capability of 534 SP. Then I've got a 100% level boost on my Fire Storm.

What that means is by using a single spell, I can one-shot a boss that's 30 levels higher than me. And all I have to do is wait for a countdown to get down to zero, and I can do it again.. as often as I want.
Explain how to use the Mana Debt if you could please.

Also have you ever used the Change Job function? I find my Warrior character almost worthless and just wonder if it is worth changing jobs, losing his level 35 and switching to Ninja or one of the other Advanced classes.

Tarazet

freemantim said:
Explain how to use the Mana Debt if you could please.

Also have you ever used the Change Job function? I find my Warrior character almost worthless and just wonder if it is worth changing jobs, losing his level 35 and switching to Ninja or one of the other Advanced classes.

To use Mana Debt, first you need to place an SP Debt artifact in an SP slot on the Magic Circle. (You can buy them, they're not too expensive.) Mana Debt means once you get to 0 SP, you can borrow some. This results in an SP deficit. During this period, you won't be able to run or use any abilities, but once the "debt" counts down to 0, you can use the spell again, even though you're actually out of spell points.

Yes, I used Change Job. You preserve some of your stats and abilities and all of your Magic Circles when you do that. Try switching to Swordmage or Shaman, those classes own.

freemantim

Neo Member
Tarazet said:
To use Mana Debt, first you need to place an SP Debt artifact in an SP slot on the Magic Circle. (You can buy them, they're not too expensive.) Mana Debt means once you get to 0 SP, you can borrow some. This results in an SP deficit. During this period, you won't be able to run or use any abilities, but once the "debt" counts down to 0, you can use the spell again, even though you're actually out of spell points.

Yes, I used Change Job. You preserve some of your stats and abilities and all of your Magic Circles when you do that. Try switching to Swordmage or Shaman, those classes own.

I LOVE the Swordmage. I haven't unlocked the Shaman yet, but will do so today.

Thanks for the explanation on Mana Debt as well!

Eusis

On the Falcom front: I have an answer, of sorts. According to Siliconera's Playtest they, and the other guest characters, are downloadable from NIS's Classic Dungeon 2 site. Unfortunately that data ISN'T compatible with the US version, BUT it appears people are converting some of those to be useable in our version, so hopefully all the Falcom characters are covered (or NISA just does it themselves, whichever.)

Tarazet

Also, there's a whole set of dungeons where you're fighting undead. Your weapon against them is having a Saint and using physical attacks.

Finally the EU version is out (or it was on 23rd September). Does anyone know what the Joint title does? I know you have to join them up with each other in the good old Magic Circle but it doesn't appear to have any affect on my stats.

So for example, I have the 2 x DEF+2 artefacts with Join on them. I join them together but the effect is the same as if I use a non-join DEF+2 artefact.

Tarazet

Joint can be hard to understand. First off, make sure the arrows connect the spaces. You can only Joint artifacts that are linked by red arrows. You know if it worked because it'll flash "Joint." The effect is additive: if you have two Def+2 next to each other, then each one of the artifacts will now be a Def+4. However, it will also double the Mana usage. If you link a Widen to it, it'll be multiplied again. If you don't have enough Mana, then you won't get the full effect and one of the artifacts will be greyed out.

I have a nutty Magic Circle on my Wizard in four consecutive SP spaces:

Widen - SP Debt 3 - Normal Generator (Joint) - Limit Generator (Joint)

The net effect of these four artifacts is that for 216 Mana, SP is raised from 194 to 390 and I get 585 points worth of SP Debt. That's enough to completely clear most dungeons with magic spells alone.

Next question, of course, is "how the fuck do I get 216 mana??" I used one of the Magic Circles that takes the Mana from the other characters and funnels it all to the character in the front. This has its downsides, though, because if you lose the front character, you're toast..

Tarazet said:
Joint can be hard to understand. First off, make sure the arrows connect the spaces. You can only Joint artifacts that are linked by red arrows. You know if it worked because it'll flash "Joint." The effect is additive: if you have two Def+2 next to each other, then each one of the artifacts will now be a Def+4. However, it will also double the Mana usage. If you link a Widen to it, it'll be multiplied again. If you don't have enough Mana, then you won't get the full effect and one of the artifacts will be greyed out.

Thanks. I did manage to get it working. I didn't have enough mana for the second join which was why I couldn't see the effect :p

Managed to scrape through my first Ran-geon last night reaching floor 8. I was at level 8 fighting level 20 monsters after a very unlucky first floor :D

Tarazet said:

I have a nutty Magic Circle on my Wizard in four consecutive SP spaces:

Widen - SP Debt 3 - Normal Generator (Joint) - Limit Generator (Joint)

The net effect of these four artifacts is that for 216 Mana, SP is raised from 194 to 390 and I get 585 points worth of SP Debt. That's enough to completely clear most dungeons with magic spells alone.

Next question, of course, is "how the fuck do I get 216 mana??" I used one of the Magic Circles that takes the Mana from the other characters and funnels it all to the character in the front. This has its downsides, though, because if you lose the front character, you're toast..

When you start to join artifacts together, you don't double the mana usage of the parts, instead what happens is every artifact in the chain has the stats of the whole chain. Yes, that means in a four chain, you have four artifacts with the stats of the four items in total.

A picture to help illustrate :
10po7zo.jpg

Two units in a chain, the grapes give 45 hp costing 3 mana and the stone gives 9def costing 36 mana. When jointed, each artifact now gives 45hp and 9 def for the cost of 39 mana for each of the artifacts, meaning I now have 90HP and 18def for using 78 mana.

Anyway, forgot the dragoon I made wasn't in any circles so now I have to level it up
10odvkp.jpg

casabolg

Banned
I was never a fan of the magic circle stuff but I got the game today and I love these dungeons and all this customization.
This game is just made for fun roleplaying and stories.

GhaleonQ

casabolg said:
I was never a fan of the magic circle stuff but I got the game today and I love these dungeons and all this customization.
This game is just made for fun roleplaying and stories.

I agree that both main gameplay systems are so well-developed that you could dislike a whole one and still like the game. I do love both, but I had a friend who hated the dungeon setup and designs and still bought both.

cj_iwakura

Finished ClaDun 1 yesterday, finally. Awesome final boss fight.

My custom mage laid waste without batting an eyelash.

Magic Circle is one crazy system, but so good once you grasp it.

So how's that sequel? Do want.

jorgeton

Finished ClaDun 1 yesterday, finally. Awesome final boss fight.

My custom mage laid waste without batting an eyelash.

Magic Circle is one crazy system, but so good once you grasp it.

So how's that sequel? Do want.

Not sure how it compares to the first (haven't played 1), but 2 is excellent.

So much content. It has 3 random generated dungeons, plus the story dungeon. You can edit your characters' appearance down to the last pixel and even compose music for the dungeons. I think 2 has a few new classes to play around with as well. My main character is a battle mage and she kind of kicks ass. I think the one negative is that playing 2 right after 1 may burn you out, as it seems to be the same game only with a few new bells and whistles. But if more of the same is what you want, can't go wrong with downloading this.

Dineren

Banned
Glad this was bumped, I somehow never heard about this or the first one. Is it worthwhile to buy and play through the original first? At only $20 each I don't mind getting both, but is there a real reason to do so?

jorgeton

Glad this was bumped, I somehow never heard about this or the first one. Is it worthwhile to buy and play through the original first? At only $20 each I don't mind getting both, but is there a real reason to do so?

I went straight into part two, well worth the $20. Part 1 seems like part two minus all the advances/new features, not sure if it's worth getting it at this point. Also the stories seem to be unrelated so playing 1 for the sake of continuity isn't necessary. But if you really love dungeon crawlers buying these two pretty much guarantees you'll always have something to play.

Ramune

This is the perfect game for playing at work on a slow day. Pretty damn addicting too (As most NIS games are). Wha's the development with getting the Falcom characters into the US version?

cj_iwakura

Not sure how it compares to the first (haven't played 1), but 2 is excellent.

So much content. It has 3 random generated dungeons, plus the story dungeon. You can edit your characters' appearance down to the last pixel and even compose music for the dungeons. I think 2 has a few new classes to play around with as well. My main character is a battle mage and she kind of kicks ass. I think the one negative is that playing 2 right after 1 may burn you out, as it seems to be the same game only with a few new bells and whistles. But if more of the same is what you want, can't go wrong with downloading this.

Music composing? How does that work?

And I think the first game is very much worth $20(though truth be told, I had a review copy).

I played it here and there, but up until a nasty dungeon frustrated me(which was often), I seldom wanted to put it down.
It has a silly plot, but it does have some great characters.

Big question: does the OST have anything as good as this?

Please tell me they got that violinist back.

jorgeton

Music composing? How does that work?

And I think the first game is very much worth $20(though truth be told, I had a review copy).

I played it here and there, but up until a nasty dungeon frustrated me(which was often), I seldom wanted to put it down.
It has a silly plot, but it does have some great characters.

Big question: does the OST have anything as good as this?

Please tell me they got that violinist back.

The music composition is a sequencer you put notes into. I believe you get to choose from a number of pre-set instruments. I didn't spend much time with it, but it's there if you want to play around. The OST is pretty good. Surprisingly "world music" sounding for a pixel-based 8bit RPG throwback. The violinist is back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvPEWx6NlL4

cj_iwakura

The music composition is a sequencer you put notes into. I believe you get to choose from a number of pre-set instruments. I didn't spend much time with it, but it's there if you want to play around. The OST is pretty good. Surprisingly "world music" sounding for a pixel-based 8bit RPG throwback. The violinist is back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvPEWx6NlL4

YES.

And the original OST was very Celtic, as evidenced by Slicing The Wind.

You'd have to be insane to use the retro OST in Cladun.

i went back to playing a bit of this when i got the vita. went to do the rangeon. lol. accidently the stairs and was greeted with lvl 800+ monsters lol.

Ms. Tea

The PC port is a bit buggy - vsync in fullscreen mode introduces unplayable graphics glitches, and keyboard controls don't work at all broken if no gamepad is plugged in. Not exactly Dark Souls, but make sure you have a gamepad on hand. At least the demo. Not sure if the full game has the same bugs.

Fun game though! I like the heavy character customization, even though the core gameplay is pretty simplistic.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
This thread is indeed tiny. Exactly the same version as PSP I assume? Would people suggest playing it on a handheld or a big screen?

I think it is a better fit for the PSP, but it is still a great pick up and play game IMO.

Also, there is a debug version of the game included, though I don't really know how to access any of the features. If any of you want to play around with it, you can do the following.

1) You need a sdkencryptedappticket.dll file. You can find this in the folder for Dwarves if you own it. Or, if that is too much work, here it is. Just place it in the game's folder.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3496710/sdkencryptedappticket.dll

2) You need to rename CladunX2_DBG.exe to CladunX2.exe, the game doesn't seem to realize steam is running when I launch the EXE directly, and have to launch it though steam.

3) ???

CD4F8FCF1D42F5FF09AD86432DA6342CEB9101B3

edit: made it do something! Pushing M made this come up. What does it say?

F136F67CE5500623D45D4938A120C561594D7041

The Google tells me this:
OCR: &#32972;&#26223;&#33394;&#12434;&#36974;&#24120;&#12459;\&#12395;&#22793;&#26356;&#12375;&#12414;&#12375;&#12383;
Google Translate: Mosquito has been changed to \ always shut off the background color

Is it a change log?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Pushing Magic/X Button/M in the menu did this:
C1B5C424CE29553715FF9553D63822530B9589B7

Letting go of Start/Select at the same time got me this:
3BD247B7034E4A29C8ED6A346D4454D9BC42F317

Pushing Run/Shield (Both shoulder buttons) got me this:
EEF21A273A2822AA36D3328DE913DDFE21AB28D9

I also got up a sound mixer thing, but don't know what buttons I pushed, and didn't take a shot. So far, no fun debug menus, just some tools.

Alex

Id rather have it on the PC but seeing as I already have it on the PSP, I'll wait for a bit of clean up and a sale to rebuy.

So does this game still have the same "In order to level up the character you actually like, you have to play as all the other characters instead" system? That was something that really annoyed me about the first and I ended up never really getting into it.

Eusis

It probably was at some point, but like I said, only really discovered that this game existed today :|

Will just watch and wait for it to go on sale again then I guess.
It's also a PSP title if you're not aware. I normally wouldn't consider pointing this out, but if you literally just found out about it then I guess you might not have known about that either.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So does this game still have the same "In order to level up the character you actually like, you have to play as all the other characters instead" system? That was something that really annoyed me about the first and I ended up never really getting into it.

More or less.

Yuripaw

Banned
I really hope this is an indication we'll see more NISA games published on Steam. This is pretty cool seeing publishers like them and Xseed appearing on there. I feel like (or at least hope) it'll breath more life into their potential sales.

In regards to this game though, what kind of game is it exactly? Is it an rpg? is it an srpg? is it a zelda style game? I can't really tell from what I've seen.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, the game allows you to import MML music files, but it doesn't seem to actually accept any thing I try to throw at it. At least nice to see some windows integration. Sadly, there is no import/export tool for the sprites.

Alex

I really hope this is an indication we'll see more NISA games published on Steam. This is pretty cool seeing publishers like them and Xseed appearing on there. I feel like (or at least hope) it'll breath more life into their potential sales.

In regards to this game though, what kind of game is it exactly? Is it an rpg? is it an srpg? is it a zelda style game? I can't really tell from what I've seen.

Dungeon hack, quite a good one IMO

Euphor!a

Banned
System Requirements
Minimum:

Processor:Core 2 Duo 2.60GHz/Athlon X2 2.7GHz
Memory:512 GB RAM
Graphics:GeForceFX5200, RADEON 9500
Hard Drive:300 MB HD space
Sound:Standard onboard sound card
Other Requirements:Broadband Internet connection

Well folks, see you guys in about 10 years.

Top Bottom