• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Claire returns to Raccoon City in new Resident Evil 2 info from gamescom

The Skull

Not a big fan of copying Resi 7's UI either. Was hoping for an updated classic one. Suppose it could still be a work in a progress. A small gripe in what looks to be an exceptional reimagining of the game.

Last edited:

Aggelos

Interesting interview with game Director Kazunori Kadoi
http://residentevil.wikia.com/wiki/Kazunori_Kadoi

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...w-sherry-birkin-in-the-resident-evil-2-remake

"Taking Sherry as an example, she's a character who in the original game was basically a little girl and very childish.
We wanted to add depth to her. Because you're looking at her in a more photorealistic environment, and the characters look more human and realistic, that naturally means we have to add more depth to them, because they're a lot less cartoonish and two dimensional. Back in the day, the storytelling was revolutionary because horror games didn't have stories. We have to meet fan expectations now with games designed for 2019."

"She definitely someone now who feels a bit more like she has her own personality. She's thinking in her mind and she's got her own motivations. We're trying to take some of that stuff that was slightly unnatural and add depth to it.
We are - as always - keeping our cards close to our chest about exactly who's changed in what way, but that's a great example of one way the storytelling has been modernised and brought up to date."

"Newt from Aliens was something of a reference point," Kadoi revealed, "the first time you meet her and seeing, yeah, she's seen some serious stuff!"

"We tried to retain the flavour of the original as much as possible.
We did our best to make it more believable as much as possible," Kadoi continued. "So, whether or not a giant alligator of that size could exist and has a place in this story is put aside. If there was one, how much weight should it have to its movements? Should it be able to jump this far across the room? We're accepting it exists, so maybe it should be a bit more weighty and believable in that sense? When you make things a bit more believable, people can accept the leap of logic a bit more."

"We don't want any scenes where you're not supposed to laugh but you do because of comedy written dialogue," Kadoi explained.
"That's not the intention - that's spoiling the intended atmosphere. It doesn't mean we've gone 100 per cent po-faced, seriousness. The game is still laced with some humour because people have come to expect that from Resident Evil. There are lighter moments, because in horror you always need to relieve the tension once in awhile, just to give yourself a breather, and humour's a part of that."

according to Kadoi, fan-favourite Ada Wong will look significantly different, too.
"It goes back to the same thing of, what would look natural to be wandering around in a photo-realistic environment in?" Kadoi said.
"I think wandering around in that dress just getting on with your job as a spy probably doesn't look as realistic and believable as we want in this new game.
"Exactly what we've done with her design is something we're tight-lipped on, but it's safe to say we won't betray your expectations."

Last edited:

kunonabi

Not looking forward to this Ada redesign. Of course, all of Ada's post RE2 appearances have been irritating in one way or the other so that's just par for the course I guess.

Aggelos

Dengeki Online has an interview with director Kadoi (left) and producer Kanda (right)
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/785/1785772/

biohazard2_02_cs1w1_800x509.jpg

3 new screenshots

biohazard2_07_cs1w1_1280x720.jpg

biohazard2_04_cs1w1_1280x720.jpg

biohazard2_09_cs1w1_1280x720.jpg

Last edited:

Aggelos

OK guys, this is my translation for the Dengeki online Interview. Director Kadoi spoke, that's why I translated it to commemorate his first directorial RE position. (He spoke as director for the first time in the early August Famitsu issue that is nowhere to be found in good quality scans)
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/785/1785772/

Q : We played as Claire this time around which seems to have the dramatic aspect of the story taken to a new level. What did you take into account in order to prepare this Claire gameplay part that we got to experience at Gamescom?

Kanda : We were aware of how people acclimatized themselves with the mechanics and gameplay style of the RE2Remake, so we wanted to offer them a lasting impression derived from the tension and panic you feel while playing against G-mutated Birkin with our latest demo.

Kadoi : This demo version was customized so as to be played through in a short period of time, meaning that the weapons’ variety and ammunition amount were adjusted favourably.

Kanda : The setting that you saw is the underground area of the Police Station

Q: We noticed that Claire battles against the First Form of G which was not included in her A scenario and moreover chief Irons seems to have his story elaborated further. So we might say that the alteration of the plot is something to be expected in the main game?

Kadoi : Well, a considerable part of the plot and how events unfold is something that hearkens back to the original game, but on the other hand we not only altered and re-imagined various plot parts so as to elevate the cinematic presentation, but also re-arranged the order of events.
We are convinced that we went about creating this game in order give players the opportunity to fully experience the dramatic quality of the story, and even more so, we went as far as adding here and there dialogue during gameplay that helps the player witness the story in its entirety. I would like to think of it as being something that truly whets the appetite of those who enjoyed the original.

Kanda : I’d say that chief Irons has far more “mingling” in the story this time around, which makes people hate him even more (laughs)

Q: Is the storyline unified and linear or did you add non-linear aspects to it?

Kadoi : Despite the fact that the story can be experienced as one whole thing, there’s an overall feeling that you are playing as if both characters had each their own individual scenarios.

Q: Just comparing Sherry to her original model, we get the feeling the she’s more of a grown person here.

Kadoi : In the original she was rather a 12-year-old immature child, something akin to Japanese cartoon-styled children. With that being said, we made sure to make her look something more close to her age and something that is more realistic. It goes without saying, that her garments follow suit to depict the dressing style of the ‘90s.

Kanda: With regards to her design, we want to be spot-on when its comes to the period where the story is set.

Q: Seeing the original again, the remake has certainly more action elements to it, and the pattern of find-the-enemy’s-weak-point seems to be more prominent. In order to accomplish that did you change various aspects of the (game’s) design, perhaps even experimented with new moves and commands ?

Kadoi : It is a weakness (for Birkin) the fact the he has an eye attached to his arm. We certainly made some tweaks to the way the game is experienced by players, and how much fun they can get out of it, so we made it possible for the players to spot the weakness, level their weapon at it and shoot. However the impression that you get from looking at the game as whole hasn’t changed much.

Q: Playing the demo I was able to obtain a hand-grenade, yet I was baffled as to why you can’t equip it as main weapon.

Kadoi: We actually classified the weapons in two categories, main and sub. The knife and hand-grenades are subweapons. In the vein of Resident Evil 1 Remake, the subweapons can be triggered by the players as a means of self-defence. What is more is that they can be used as stand-alone.

Q: While playing we also spotted gun-powder that can be combined and produce...?

Kadoi : Based on the various mixtures there are types of bullets to be created. There are large quantities of gunpowder that the player can acquire, but there’s also the enhanced gunpowder that is sparsely scattered around. The enhanced powder companion makes for potent bullets, the gunpowder companion makes for regular hand-gun ammo, and when combined we get to make bullets with powerful impact in their own way. So choose wisely depending on whether you are the type of player that unloads ammo on enemies every time, or the type of player who saves up their powerful ammunition for later use.

Kanda : This game truly enjoys the aspect of item/resources management. Always be sure to think strategically when it comes to what kind of bullet-type you want to produce and the point of the gamer you’re at.

Q: Of course, we couldn’t have missed the herbs.

Kadoi : Well, the green herbs are synonymous with health revival, but there’s always the catch of sacrificing inventory space. Then again, combining it with blue and red herbs together, not only does the resulting mixture act as an antidote to poisoning, but it also gives a boost in the toughness of the character over a period of time. The latter is a rather trivial, easy-to-overlooked, effect of the herbs.

Q: I am impressed to hear that. What did the people who played this demo think about the game?

Kanda : Being able to have a brief chat with the staff that were at the hall, they told me that people wanted to spend more time on it. I saw that people got the drift of what kind of difficulty this game has, and how we want the difficulty to be, but there were still those that made it until the end of the demo. As you’ve may already guessed by now, they did in-fact want to see more of the game. We’ve had many of those requests too.

Q: Is there anything in particular that you would like to point out?

Kadoi : We are revealing Claire gameplay for the first time. Just take your time to absorb this new Claire thoroughly. Because up to this point we’ve only showed a portion of her in both still images and in promo footage that we released, and somehow there was a difference of opinion and thoughts about her were divided. Nevertheless seeing her in action will do justice to her and I am convinced that the clouds of doubt will disperse.

Q: What is the aspect that has evolved the most in this game?

Kadoi : Without a doubt, the zombies. People got used to seeing zombies as pitiful sitting ducks, and treating them light-heartedly. But we set our sights on fixing this and everything zombie-related was remade from scratch with the one purpose, to instigate fear. With that in mind, we made a point of redesigning the zombie-behaviour and the hitting-dying animations.

Kanda : Don’t be mistaken, these zombies are really tough and terrifying to behold. I think they are the arch of the entire game.

Kadoi : We made sure to create various patterns of movement for the zombies. There is certainly variety in the zombie-horde, and they are shown in their typical zombie mannerism with their arms raised and prolonged. From their appearance alone, you can tell that they are evoking fear.

Q: While playing the game, will the allocation and appearance of enemies change perhaps?

Kadoi : There is a so-called randomness. You might take them down, leave the room and return later, only to find out that they aren’t there anymore and they have been relocated. On the other hand, there are cases where zombies play possum when you just thought you had killed them. It’s a whole new type of horror that doesn’t allow you to feel safe at any given moment.

Q: Will there be any chance of seeing zombies coming back to life as Crimson Heads?

Kadoi : Well, not quite I should say, but the zombies in RE2Remake are tellingly tough and obnoxiously persistent. Just when you thought they were dead, and you were ready to walk just past them, out of nowhere they grab your leg again...

Q : Anything else in particular that has been modernized?

Kadoi : Another important thing is that going through this game is not an easy task- it is terrifying in itself. As you know in the original game the fixed camera angles impaired the vision of the player and by doing so the sense of terror was constant. Even though we have over-the-shoulder camera we designed the environments having corners, bends, turns, alcoves, nooks and such, and then we went the extra mile to plunge them into darkness so as to create brand new terror. Further, we know how important it is to have in the game ambient sounds and sound effects that invoke horror to player’s senses.

Q: Can you share with us information regarding the DLC support?

Kanda : The Deluxe Edition comes together with extra costumes and a soundtrack. That soundtrack is there to offer a more nostalgic feeling when the player goes through the game.

Kadoi: Those tracks in the soundtrack are sourced from the music back at the day, and you are able to take your pick. In the original game music tracks would switch upon entering rooms, while this time around the whole sound design is done so that we have the players be on the edge of their seat. On the other hand, we went to town on doing the sound design like the past games where music would switch on entering the room.
Although a trifle, when you do choose to switch to the old music tracks the announcer in the title screen calls out “Biohazard 2” in the old style. We thought it wouldn’t be befitting to have a title announcement for the remake, we do hope instead that this will put a smile on the face of those who want to enjoy the old sound design.

Q : Any features geared towards newcomers in the series that you would like to tell us?

Kanda : Although Resident Evil has solidified its place within the horror genre, the feeling of going through a survival horror game with an OTS camera, is something that newcomers ,unaware of the old classic Resident Evil play-style, will appreciate to have at their disposal.
Also, the impeccable visuals courtesy of the RE Engine, the ambient and enveloping sound design that elevates tension to the next level, all the above make up for a horror game of the highest quality possible.

Kadoi : Many people might be well acquainted with the name Resident Evil 2, but their lasting impression is that they have an obsolete game in their hands due to an archaic camera angle system. So we redesigned and re-imagined the game to have all the necessary smoothness and fluidity in it, allowing the players to get the most excitement out of it.

Q: Any specifics as to how the graphics have evolved since RE7?

Kadoi: RE7 being first person, the player cannot see the main character properly. In contrast, despite RE2Remake being OTS we worked hard on the characters and all those bits and pieces that pertain to their overall presentation. We concentrated our efforts on the details of the clothing, we worked hard on the torn attire of zombies and their gruesome wounds and injuries, all those are making the difference here.

Q: There’s has been information regarding the compatibility with Nvidia’s RTX. Any specifics that you would like to share?

Kanda : We are entering the testing phase from now on. That is to say, the version that we exhibited here is not indicative of the targeted visuals and technology that will be implemented in the final product.
Now, to address the compatibility issue, we still figuring things out and what we plan to do with it. We are fine-tuning the game so as to allow the PC version to run at native 4K plus an even further stable frame rate.

Q You received the Game Critics Awards Best of E3 2018 price. What did it mean to you?

Kanda : I think it must be the first time a third party developer from Japan receives such an award, and we’re nothing but honoured to have accomplished that. This award will help to increase the popularity of the game that will reach out to people that know little of the series. It’s a great award for us to receive, that will encourage us to give all our energy to deliver the best game possible.

Q: Next month is Tokyo Game Show. Should we be preparing for major updates?

Kanda : I can’t go into specifics right now, there will be a playable demo, there will be a live event on the stage of Capcom’s booth. We’re going to sum up the information that we unveiled at E3 and Gamescom for the Japanese fans, and moreover we have plans to present the game to them in the best light possible. Stay tuned and be sure not to miss it!

Aggelos

Another interview with producer Kanda and director Kadoi. It starts at 4:34
There are Eng subs as well.

The guy said at the end of the video that all that Claire footage that has been released on the internet gives a false impression.
He played the Claire demo behind closed doors and one powerful blow by G-mutated Birkin was enough to readily send you from fine to danger condition.

Last edited:

Helios

Claire looks like two different people depending on the angle. Hopefully the Elza Walker costume has it's own face.
I think I've seen people arguing that it's because of the engine. Basically saying that the same thing happens to Nico in DMCV depending on the lighting

PrCat88

From the gameplay footage I've seen so far I'm not impressed with Claire's portion. The voice actress sounds bored especially during the Birkin boss fight where Capcom couldn't help but force dialogue where it's not needed.

Then there's the character models in general. The first Resident Evil remake did a good job updating the classic look of the characters. For some reason, this game seems to focus more on giving the women entirely new outfits. The director recently confirmed as much for Ada Wong and Claire Redfield looks more like her Revelations 2 model than the original RE2. I hope we have a choice to unlock classic costumes for these characters.

kunonabi

From the gameplay footage I've seen so far I'm not impressed with Claire's portion. The voice actress sounds bored especially during the Birkin boss fight where Capcom couldn't help but force dialogue where it's not needed.

Then there's the character models in general. The first Resident Evil remake did a good job updating the classic look of the characters. For some reason, this game seems to focus more on giving the women entirely new outfits. The director recently confirmed as much for Ada Wong and Claire Redfield looks more like her Revelations 2 model than the original RE2. I hope we have a choice to unlock classic costumes for these characters.

Claire needed the overhaul since her outfit never made any sense and her va sounded like a pedo in the original. Completely overhauling Ada makes no damn sense though and is probably them just buckling to pressure.

I was never that big fan of the remake's takes on Chris and Jill to be honest. He lost all his personality and Jill looked like a drug addict.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Claire needed the overhaul since her outfit never made any sense
What exactly didn't make sense?
The motorcycle protective shorts and top or the Jean Jacket and shorts?

Last edited:

kunonabi

What exactly didn't make sense?
The motorcycle protective shorts and top or the Jean Jacket and shorts?

Riding a motorcycle in shorts and short sleeves is incredibly unsafe especially in case of a wreck. Nobody I know that rides would ever dress like that. I live in TX and Arizona and even in these climates nobody rides in shorts.

TGO

Riding a motorcycle in shorts and short sleeves is incredibly unsafe especially in case of a wreck. Nobody I know that rides would ever dress like that. I live in TX and Arizona and even in these climates nobody rides in shorts.
It's a game, movie's aren't realistic in that fashion either.
Should be wearing full leathers and a helmet

kunonabi

It's a game, movie's aren't realistic in that fashion either.
Should be wearing full leathers and a helmet
Just because it's a game doesnt mean you need to through basic logic out the window. I mean the older RE games were somewhat grounded and Elza was going to have much more appropriate duds.

Claire was just the beginning of Capcom's dumber tendencies that made RE such a farce as it went on.

TGO

Just because it's a game doesnt mean you need to through basic logic out the window. I mean the older RE games were somewhat grounded and Elza was going to have much more appropriate duds.

Claire was just the beginning of Capcom's dumber tendencies that made RE such a farce as it went on.
True but like I said, full leathers like Elza would have been realistic.
But I'm fond of the Classic Claire look.
A cut scene would have fixed the problem.
She loses her jacket in the game, same could have happened with the protective gear if they wanted realistic and faithful.

PrCat88

Claire needed the overhaul since her outfit never made any sense and her va sounded like a pedo in the original. Completely overhauling Ada makes no damn sense though and is probably them just buckling to pressure.

I was never that big fan of the remake's takes on Chris and Jill to be honest. He lost all his personality and Jill looked like a drug addict.

Couldn't disagree more. Alyson Court is one of Canada's treasures in the voice acting community. Even stayed on as the longest running actress to grace the Resident Evil games. I figured the remake was going to recast with someone new, but I'm not impressed with the scenes we have so far where a young, inexperienced Claire is facing a monster and not showing much fear or terror in her voice. Just indifferent to her situation. This could be the voice director's fault though.

Also, Claire's updated look in Darkside Chronicles was fine. I'd rather have that look back. If they wanted to update and use different costumes, why isn't Leon getting the same treatment?

I also prefer the REmake designs of Chris and Jill. Even over Resident Evil 5 for that matter.

Aggelos

Guys, I don't know if you have noticed this, but the actual E3 showcase trailer had 2 different points comparing to the one broadcast online.

- Sony had a super wide screen so you can see more of the intended frame of the 16:9 widescreen presentation.

- At the end of the trailer a new cut is shown. Kevin Jr., the poor rat that was crushed by the falling storage locker, jumps back to life.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I was intrigued at first, because of the Gamecube Resident Evil remake which updated the fixed backgrounds so beautifully. But this isn't it.

Give me a gorgeous remake of the central gameplay ideas, as the first REmake did, but don't try to sell me on what is just another contemporary RE game with only the story beats lifted from the prior entry. The identity of these games isn't their story anyway... so if the basic elements of gameplay are this radically opposite of the original, it doesn't really function as a remake in any meaningful sense that could interest me.

LUXURY

Couldn't disagree more. Alyson Court is one of Canada's treasures in the voice acting community. Even stayed on as the longest running actress to grace the Resident Evil games. I figured the remake was going to recast with someone new, but I'm not impressed with the scenes we have so far where a young, inexperienced Claire is facing a monster and not showing much fear or terror in her voice. Just indifferent to her situation. This could be the voice director's fault though.

Also, Claire's updated look in Darkside Chronicles was fine. I'd rather have that look back. If they wanted to update and use different costumes, why isn't Leon getting the same treatment?

I also prefer the REmake designs of Chris and Jill. Even over Resident Evil 5 for that matter.

Yeah, in the gameplay the way she was just like “Oh, a monster. What do I do?” without any type of expression at all.

The lack of Alyson Court though is pretty sad. She was one of the most iconic pieces in Resident Evil history and she was more than willing to participate but Capcom just didn’t want it. Oh well, I’ll be loading the game up and choosing original soundtrack and original costumes for both characters so at least it’s something.

CatCouch

I really want to see Ada now. I appreciate they are trying to make the more cartoony elements of RE2 fit in a more realistic environment but I worry realism means cover the women up. I like Claire so far even though she lost a lot of her original outfit unlike Leon but talking about Ada being "significantly different" has me worried. I hope they just give her a RE6-like outfit and don't try to tone her down or anything. This series has been amazing with the designs of the women's outfits and I'll be disappointed if it loses that to be more realistic. I'm still a bit sad that I couldn't recognize Chris at all in VII.

I miss all the sexy alternate outfits we had as recently as Revelations 2. That goes for Chris and his sexy outfits, too. I hope we haven't seen the last of his sailor outfit! That campy stuff better not be gone.

kunonabi

first shot of Ada leaked. Its exactly what you would expect based of her silhouette.

Trenchcoat

I assume she takes it off eventually unless they're completely rewriting her involvement.

Either way I'm not a fan since it makes her extra suspicious from the start.

CatCouch

So Ada is full trench coat now? That's extremely disappointing. I hope her personality isn't rewritten.

sometimes when its hot ill rock the ol basketball shorts and sleeveless shirt. im in california and its a huge reality that lots of us are idiots and dont wear gear nearly as much as we should. im happy claire is one of us

Aggelos

Reintroducing a Genre Masterpiece to the Modern Day With Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 2 is not only a legend in its series, but of the entire horror genre in gaming. Take a look at how the remake is approaching modern tech, audiences, and expectation.

Geki-D

Banned
And?
I don't see it as being an obstacle to watch the interactivity and the zombie physics of the game.
It is kind of crappy when a video that isn't in English uses English titles to pretty much trick more views.
Good video though.

Top Bottom