• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

Based on this thread's rec, I'm going through the training camp right now. I have to say, I really like it (so much so that I might grab Clash of Clans as well).

EDIT: I got a witch, so that's cool!

Clunker

I'm adding to the GAF clan now - name is Clunker there as well.

Game is great. I love not having any energy mechanics and just playing for shits and giggles.

hollomat

Banned
Really enjoying this game so far. I'm having a lot of fun experimenting with different cards to see what's strong and weak against certain cards. I was searching on Reddit to see if someone had a write up about the match ups but couldn't find any.

Clunker

I'm struggling to figure out how the small goblin units are useful - I have regular goblins and goblin spears at maybe lv 2 and they just get shredded instantly. I assume there's a way to use them when you have a different unit tanking but if anyone has any ideas I'm immensely curious.

Right now I'm loving that giant-bomber combo - I see a lot of the skeleton army (I think it's the one with like 10 little skellies), and a nicely timed bomber clips them down easily. Are they meant more to pressure you into paying attention to them instead of being a major threat on their own?

Bisonian

I'm struggling to figure out how the small goblin units are useful - I have regular goblins and goblin spears at maybe lv 2 and they just get shredded instantly. I assume there's a way to use them when you have a different unit tanking but if anyone has any ideas I'm immensely curious.

Right now I'm loving that giant-bomber combo - I see a lot of the skeleton army (I think it's the one with like 10 little skellies), and a nicely timed bomber clips them down easily. Are they meant more to pressure you into paying attention to them instead of being a major threat on their own?

So far from what I've seen, those armies of many little units (goblins, skeletons, skeleton army spell) are used to counter single target attackers. If a knight has to sit there and slash through all of those units one at a time, it allows you to get a bunch of damage in on the target.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Really enjoying this game so far. I'm having a lot of fun experimenting with different cards to see what's strong and weak against certain cards. I was searching on Reddit to see if someone had a write up about the match ups but couldn't find any.

I'm thinking of doing a write-up for matchups here for this thread. If I get some free time, I'll write something up.

Both types of goblins are among the most popular cards used by everyone. :) I don't think I've ever had a deck that didn't include them. They are useful for lots of sthings - doing a few hundred damage to a tower, for distracting some units (e.g., prince), for attack things that don't attack back (hogrider, giants, etc), etc. They are also useful because they only cost 2 elixir, so it helps you cycle through your cards faster. You don't want a deck of 8 cards that all cost 5 or more elixir. That's too slow a hand.

Wait until you meet the Prince. He has a charge that deals extra damage while he's sprinting. When he's flying at your tower you'll be praying for something cheap to drop in front of him right before he hits your tower.

Matush

I knew this would be asked multiple times per page, hence the title of this thread :p

You should be trying to climb into higher arenas, which the chests have better cards, more gold, more gems, etc.
Wait so you get diffetent chests (with higher rewards) in higher arenas?

Karu

Wait until you meet the Prince. He has a charge that deals extra damage while he's sprinting. When he's flying at your tower you'll be praying for something cheap to drop in front of him right before he hits your tower.

I'm so happy he was my first epic. :D Skeleton army is a great counter, though.

Edit: For those who want to enter (GAF) it would be nice if you could just drop a message here, so I know you're from here. ;)

Just hit level 3 and wanted to join the GAF clan but it was already full.

There is another clan with only one member though, someone named Garrick. Is that another clan from this OT?

Xeteh

I'm so happy he was my first epic. :D Skeleton army is a great counter, though.

Edit: For those who want to enter (GAF) it would be nice if you could just drop a message here, so I know you're from here. ;)

Prince was my first epic too and I thought he was going to just be a beefed up Knight... first time he charged a tower I was super surprised.

Ours has still 37 spots open. Named GAF

Hopefully some spots are still open by the time I hit level 3.

Ferny

Prince was my first epic too and I thought he was going to just be a beefed up Knight... first time he charged a tower I was super surprised.

Hopefully some spots are still open by the time I hit level 3.

His charge is crazy. It can demolish a tower so quickly.

We should have a good amount of slots for a bit. Registrations have been picking up for sure tho.

I find a good strategy is to send a character with a lot of HP to a tower followed right by some lower health characters that still do a decent amount of damage. The tank can still get in some damage to the tower and since the tower attack is focused on it, the weaker ones won't be killed quickly and are able to get in some good damage.

Edit: Yeah, Prince is one of my favorite cards.

Edit: What happens if you keep losing trophies? Do you go back to lower arenas?

commish

Wait so you get diffetent chests (with higher rewards) in higher arenas?

Same chests, so to speak - they are still silver, gold, etc. But better rewards with additional possible cards. There are certain cards you can only get once you hit certain arena levels. For example, you can only get the wizard if you reach arena level 5.

Xeteh

His charge is crazy. It can demolish a tower so quickly.

We should have a good amount of slots for a bit. Registrations have been picking up for sure tho.

If it starts getting close I can spend some gems, I suppose. Need 10 more EXP but my chest doesn't open for like 2.5 hours.

Ferny

Yes, you can go back to a lower arena, but there's a small buffer. So you won't drop to the +400 one until you're like 380 or something like that. I don't know the exact number.

There is a 50 trophy buffer. For example, You hit Arena 5 at 1400 trophies, you can drop to 1351 and still be in it. 1350 drops you downdown an arena and you'll need to climb back up to 1400 to get back into Arena 5.

Cool. Thank you both!

Edit: Wow, the magical chests are insane. Just watched a YouTube vid of a guy opening several. Hundreds of cards, and sometimes over a thousand; plus thousands of gold.

PepperedHam

The first clan not sure who is leading it or whatever so I made the Second Clan/Overflow.

Search 'GAF' and request to join. Just post in here when you do so it's not just a bunch of randoms.
Just requested to join (if there's still some room). In game name is PepperedHam.

DrkSage

Downloaded it yesterday around noon, and I have the same question that's on the thread title... XD

Edit: sent a request for GAF. Name is Sage

Agent

I sent a request into the GAF clan, at least I think the correct one. Username: 007

I'm up to level 5, 862 trophies. I'm probably not playing everything the best way, but I'm managing to survive most fights. I think I have a fairly solid deck so far. Giant / Prince / Baby Dragon / Witch / Bomb Tower / Skeleton Army / Goblin Hut / Arrows. I have a 4.5 Average Elixir Cost, which is probably a little high, but it is manageable.

I usually send a Giant, Prince, and Baby Dragon in. They do some quite massive damage, and it usually puts the opponent on the defensive pretty quickly. I also have Goblin Hut and Witch so they help with throwing a bunch of "trash" mobs at the enemy, which also distracts anything going after Giant/Prince/Dragon. It's also hilarious to drop a Bomb Tower in enemy territory once you take a tower down and watch it rain down on the enemies mobs.

I sent a request to the GAF clan, I'm 'That Man'.

This games pretty fun, more fun than clash atleast >_>;(I think I sent a request, tried a 2nd time said unable to join, so I assume my first request went through)

So, after a few more hours, I'm pretty much hooked. It's incredibly easy to pick up, but - depending on who you play - it can be challenging as all hell. I'm gonna send a join request soon.

commish

I sent a request into the GAF clan, at least I think the correct one. Username: 007

I'm up to level 5, 862 trophies. I'm probably not playing everything the best way, but I'm managing to survive most fights. I think I have a fairly solid deck so far. Giant / Prince / Baby Dragon / Witch / Bomb Tower / Skeleton Army / Goblin Hut / Arrows. I have a 4.5 Average Elixir Cost, which is probably a little high, but it is manageable.

I usually send a Giant, Prince, and Baby Dragon in. They do some quite massive damage, and it usually puts the opponent on the defensive pretty quickly. I also have Goblin Hut and Witch so they help with throwing a bunch of "trash" mobs at the enemy, which also distracts anything going after Giant/Prince/Dragon. It's also hilarious to drop a Bomb Tower in enemy territory once you take a tower down and watch it rain down on the enemies mobs.

Consider ditching the goblin hut for either the 2 elixir goblins or the archers. I say this because with huts, I've found that you either go all in on huts and have 2 or 3 going at once, or just use normal units so you can push better. Just my 2 (unsolicited) cents :) The little goblins and archers are good all around cards that are cheap.

Alright here we go, time to open the Super Magical Chest I got last night from a win.

Arena 4 Chest.

CqaBmUH.png
tFkAhuD.png

foybuLM.png
gX0oCPo.png

dmEfyES.png
9QmjCk5.png

qiYoIec.png
p40Bif8.png

Eh, at least I didn't spend the ~$50 on the chest, but I'm not that happy with what I got. Nothing to immediately upgrade in my main deck.

Agent

Consider ditching the goblin hut for either the 2 elixir goblins or the archers. I say this because with huts, I've found that you either go all in on huts and have 2 or 3 going at once, or just use normal units so you can push better. Just my 2 (unsolicited) cents :) The little goblins and archers are good all around cards that are cheap.

I'll give the goblins a whirl. It would make sense to use them over the hut. There have been some battles where they were useless. There have been some battles they were great because of having the Giant/Prince attacking, so they build up behind them and silently do decent damage.

The Prince seems a bit OP though, it's crazy how it can tear through things. I wish I could get some cards to upgrade it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Oh, I would like to disagree with the OP a bit. This game is very, very pay to win. Skill and strategy matters to an extent. You can get to arena 7 with a free deck with enough skill (I'm around 1800 right now though I've been over 2200). 3000+ on the other hand? Not a chance.

TheExodu5

Banned
Been playing since soft launch.

It is NOT a play for hours game. It's a pick up, play a match or two to get your chests and that's it.

Open silver chests during the day and save the Gold chests for overnight.

I'll keep playing when my chests are full if I have a crown chest I can earn and I like the practice.

2 days ago I got a Giant chest from a win (12 hours) and last night I got a Super Magical Chest from a win (1 day.)

The only thing I really don't like in this game is that at high levels it's too reliant on a one hit combo. Think Grim Patton Warrior if you are a Hearthstone player. People store elixir till they unleash a devastating combo that you have no way to stop (ie Hog/freeze)

But the game is great. Don't get bummed if you fluctuate trophies so often. You can gain or lose 100 trophies in a matter of minutes. I was at 1670 last night and went to bed at 1400. But I'll get dem back.

Any combo can be stopped. Hog coming at you? Drop some goblins or barbs. He freezes you? Drop a few more units. If you don't have the elixir to drop his hog+freeze, it's because you let him get an elixir advantage.

And that's what this game is really about. You can play for all-in assaults to put your opponent on the defensive, but a competent opponent should be able to shut down your attacks eventually. To play effectively, you need to counter-play your opponent, and time your counter-attacks when you generate an elixir advantage. This involves the creation of a well balanced deck and good timing.

Remy

Ah, good, there is an OT! Let me mostly repeat myself from the iOS thread.

So, yeah, the "NeoGAF" clan I started during the beta filled up this afternoon. Really wish the limit wasn't 50.

For those already in the clan: because we don't get a "last login" date, I'm going to be monitoring donations (which reset weekly) and chat. Anyone who doesn't donate and I don't see active in chat will likely get a boot.

For those not already in the clan, we'll try to post here when we clear space so people can apply with a codeword so we know they're legit.

Got my first magical chest! Felt great too, managed to outplay a guy with higher level cards then me. Can't wait to open that bad boy.

I don't have enough cards to upgrade anything unless I'm not understanding something.

Just ended up buying 4 Bomber cards. Probably shouldn't have wasted so many gems/coins.

Sent an invite request.
When you're part of a clan, donating cards gives xp as well. So if you're close to leveling again, just donate any cards you don't want/need if someone requests them.

Xeteh

When you're part of a clan, donating cards gives xp as well. So if you're close to leveling again, just donate any cards you don't want/need if someone requests them.

Yeah, I read about that. I was trying to get to 3 to join the GAF clan and struggling to get there.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
Oh, I would like to disagree with the OP a bit. This game is very, very pay to win. Skill and strategy matters to an extent. You can get to arena 7 with a free deck with enough skill (I'm around 1800 right now though I've been over 2200). 3000+ on the other hand? Not a chance.

Right. That isn't pay to win, thats pay to advance to a different level of play. You are matched against similar players. Paying money just gets you to higher levels of play faster. Skill still matters. Don't pay and you stay in the same levels as everyone else who is free to play. Paying only gives you an advantage until you rise up to the proper level.

PepperedHam

This game is hooking me big time. I was a little turned off by it in the beginning and even ranted a little about it in the Android Gaming thread but after getting some better cards and learning the game I can't put it down. It's super satisfying to edge out an opponent in a close game.

Really enjoying the game. Seems like when you hit max of 4 chests and your out of green rubies it's hard to advance so to speak

Edit: Applied for the GAF clan. Looking forward to getting into this game

Top Bottom