• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic Controller to PC Adapter

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Has anyone ordered this? It was just released recently and I can't find any reviews for it yet. Would love to be able to use the CC on the PC. I wonder if it works with the Famicon controller?

pa.170859.1.jpg

sauce: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-6m-49-en-70-3nu3.html

vazel

Banned
I was just eyeing this yesterday. Planning on getting it soon for emulators. I don't want to mess with glovepie for the other way of connecting CC to PC.

You've been able to use the classic controller with a PC since a couple of months after the Wii launched, all you need is a $2 Bluetooth adpater.

If you don't want to go that route then why not just get the vastly superior Saturn USB controller?

Cobra84

brain_stew said:
You've been able to use the classic controller with a PC since a couple of months after the Wii launched, all you need is a $2 Bluetooth adpater.

If you don't want to go that route then why not just get the vastly superior Saturn USB controller?
And a 2 $40 wiimotes to equal the adapter.

No analog sticks?

Cobra84 said:
And a $40 wiimote (2 to equal the adapter).

No analog sticks?

You're suggesting using a classic controller for 3D games? Really? Its a decent enough 2D controller, horrible for 3D games, you'd want a 360 controller for that.

Presumably anyone interested in this device already has a Wiimote and classic controller otherwise it'd be horrible value and not even worth considering when you can buy a much better 2D pad for less and for them a $2 bluetooth adapter is cheaper and wireless.

I dunno, I just don't see where this fits in, there's much better options already.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
vazel said:
I was just eyeing this yesterday. Planning on getting it soon for emulators. I don't want to mess with glovepie for the other way of connecting CC to PC.

Wtf? All you have to do is install PPJoy and add two virtual joysticks in ppjoy. Then, run the following script in glovepie after your wiimote + classi controller are connected:

PPJoy.Digital1 = Wiimote.Classic.Up
PPJoy.Digital2 = Wiimote.Classic.Down
PPJoy.Digital3 = Wiimote.Classic.Left
PPJoy.Digital4 = Wiimote.Classic.Right
PPJoy.Digital5 = Wiimote.Classic.a
PPJoy.Digital6 = Wiimote.Classic.b
PPJoy.Digital7 = Wiimote.Classic.x
PPJoy.Digital8 = Wiimote.Classic.y
PPJoy.Digital9 = Wiimote.Classic.Plus
PPJoy.Digital10 = Wiimote.Classic.Minus
PPJoy.Digital11 = Wiimote.Classic.L
PPJoy.Digital12 = Wiimote.Classic.R
PPJoy.Digital13 = Wiimote.Classic.ZL
PPJoy.Digital14 = Wiimote.Classic.ZR

// Set PPJoy Virtual Joysticks to left and right analogue sticks.
PPJoy.Analog0 = Wiimote.Classic.Joy1X
PPJoy.Analog1 = Wiimote.Classic.Joy1Y
PPJoy2.Analog0 = Wiimote.Classic.Joy2X
PPJoy2.Analog1 = Wiimote.Classic.Joy2Y

// illuminate the 1st LED
Wiimote.Led1 = true
Wiimote.Led2 = false
Wiimote.Led3 = false
Wiimote.Led4 = false

But okay, spend the extra $ :lol

HUELEN10

If this works well, it will be an excellent alternative to GlovePIE for windows users that do not wish to partake in the apps controversial terms. Would this also work on PS3 BTW?

Cobra84

brain_stew said:
You're suggesting using a classic controller for 3D games? Really? Its a decent enough 2D controller, horrible for 3D games, you'd want a 360 controller for that.

Presumably anyone interested in this device already has a Wiimote and classic controller otherwise it'd be horrible value and not even worth considering when you can buy a much better 2D pad for less.
I didn't say they were good reasons. I'd personally use the Saturn/360 combo for 2D/3D.

vazel

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
Wtf? All you have to do is install PPJoy and add two virtual joysticks in ppjoy. Then, run the following script in glovepie after your wiimote + classi controller are connected:

PPJoy.Digital1 = Wiimote.Classic.Up
PPJoy.Digital2 = Wiimote.Classic.Down
PPJoy.Digital3 = Wiimote.Classic.Left
PPJoy.Digital4 = Wiimote.Classic.Right
PPJoy.Digital5 = Wiimote.Classic.a
PPJoy.Digital6 = Wiimote.Classic.b
PPJoy.Digital7 = Wiimote.Classic.x
PPJoy.Digital8 = Wiimote.Classic.y
PPJoy.Digital9 = Wiimote.Classic.Plus
PPJoy.Digital10 = Wiimote.Classic.Minus
PPJoy.Digital11 = Wiimote.Classic.L
PPJoy.Digital12 = Wiimote.Classic.R
PPJoy.Digital13 = Wiimote.Classic.ZL
PPJoy.Digital14 = Wiimote.Classic.ZR

// Set PPJoy Virtual Joysticks to left and right analogue sticks.
PPJoy.Analog0 = Wiimote.Classic.Joy1X
PPJoy.Analog1 = Wiimote.Classic.Joy1Y
PPJoy2.Analog0 = Wiimote.Classic.Joy2X
PPJoy2.Analog1 = Wiimote.Classic.Joy2Y

// illuminate the 1st LED
Wiimote.Led1 = true
Wiimote.Led2 = false
Wiimote.Led3 = false
Wiimote.Led4 = false

But okay, spend the extra $ :lol
Buying a bluetooth adapter with good range will cost me the same. I used a cheap one before and the range was horrible for my HTPC setup.

Plus ppjoy doesn't work for me. I'm sure there's a way to get it to work but I don't want to have to do that and don't want to rely on those two apps.

ninjaurbano said:
Is the Saturn controller any good for SNES games?
Yes
The Saturn comes with two extra face buttons; SNES games work perfectly fine.
Shoulder Saturn Buttons work fine for SNES games using shoulders

Michan

brain_stew said:
It sounds like comebody isn't familiar with the Classic Controller Pro.

NewsSuggest_RSQWBSYW.jpg

Though I do agree that it might just be easier to leave it tethered to the Wii remote with a bluetooth receiver plugged into your computer, that's not always an option, and the big remote on your lap/the side is not only an eyesore, but a bit of a pain in the arse.

ninjaurbano said:
Is the Saturn controller any good for SNES games?

Its the best 2D controller around, so yes. Games that are restricted to 4 directions will play slightly better on Nintendo's dpad design but its a very slight advantage, and everything else will play much, much better on a Saturn USB. Much better buttons as well.

Michan said:
It sounds like comebody isn't familiar with the Classic Controller Pro.

NewsSuggest_RSQWBSYW.jpg

Though I do agree that it might just be easier to leave it tethered to the Wii remote with a bluetooth receiver plugged into your computer, that's not always an option, and the big remote on your lap/the side is not only an eyesore, but a bit of a pain in the arse.

I'm perfectly familiar with that, it may be better for 3D games (arguably, though it being worse for 2D titles kind of evens that out) but better than horrific is still terrible.

Somnid

I don't really understand the point. Part of it is that the Wii controller is natively usable with bluetooth as mentioned (and that's far more interesting as an input device), and the other is that all the things I'd want to do with this on PC my Wii already does.

Ordered one several days ago and it should arrive in the next two days, I'll give impressions when it's here.

I like the classic controller <3

HUELEN10

PowerSmell said:
CC's main problem with 3D games is hexagonal analog stick movement.
First of all, it's octagonal, second of all, it's awesome.

Nothing beat's Nintendo's octo-gate.

markot said:
360 controller is rubbish >.<
Blasphemy.

Except for the wonky D-pad, the 360 controller is awesome.

All PC gamers that want to sit back really should get the wireless 360 dongle & controller. It works great and the controller has the best support out there due to MS's Games for Windows. (I'm not a fan of GFW but I do like the fact that they get the games to have 360 controller support.)

Luigiv

brain_stew said:
I'm perfectly familiar with that, it may be better for 3D games (arguably, though it being worse for 2D titles kind of evens that out) but better than horrific is still terrible.
This doesn't make an once of sense, just so you know.

brain_stew said:
Presumably anyone interested in this device already has a Wiimote and classic controller otherwise it'd be horrible value and not even worth considering when you can buy a much better 2D pad for less and for them a $2 bluetooth adapter is cheaper and wireless.

I dunno, I just don't see where this fits in, there's much better options already.

Here's my reasoning-
I have a Wii and a PC, no 360.
I have 2 classic controllers that would make perfectly good 2D and 3D controllers- obviously I will be using KB&M for all FPS and traditional PC games, but I need controllers for 2D games, racing, fighting games, etc.
If I'm sitting at my desk, 2 feet from my computer, I don't need to worry about batteries and recharging Wiimotes just to play PC games.

Seems like a pretty good option for me. My two classic controllers are already sunk costs, with this device I can use 2 controllers I already have to play PC games. This is definitely a viable option for PC gamers with Wiis looking for PC controllers.

HUELEN10

brain_stew said:
You forgot that Windows users only have one good option, GlovePIE, to enable the use of the controller, and GlovePIE is very controversial. By getting rid of the need to use GlovePIE, that controversy is avoided altogether. I think this adapter definitely has its market, controversy or not for that matter.

TheExodu5

Banned
brain_stew said:
Its the best 2D controller around, so yes. Games that are restricted to 4 directions will play slightly better on Nintendo's dpad design but its a very slight advantage, and everything else will play much, much better on a Saturn USB. Much better buttons as well.

Both Saturn USB and CC have terrible buttons. Saturn USB even moreso due to the shitty, small, and convex XYZ buttons.

HUELEN10 said:
First of all, it's octagonal, second of all, it's awesome.

Nothing beat's Nintendo's octo-gate.

Why is it awesome? Try playing games with it where more than eight directions are actually used, such as Nights Journey of Dreams.

Durante

HUELEN10 said:
You forgot that Windows users only have one good option, GlovePIE, to enable the use of the controller, and GlovePIE is very controversial. By getting rid of the need to use GlovePIE, that controversy is avoided altogether. I think this adapter definitely has its market, controversy or not for that matter.
Ok, now you made me curious. What's controversial about GlovePIE?

Shafto

I've actually quite fancied using solely a NUNCHUK plugged into my PC, to use in FPS along with my mouse for the perfect setup.

Is this possible? Is it possible with a Bluetooth dongle, or this adapter?

TheExodu5 said:
Both Saturn USB and CC have terrible buttons. Saturn USB even moreso due to the shitty, small, and convex XYZ buttons.

Well I have to disagree, I think they're excellent.

There's actually people that would want to use a classic controller for 3D games out of choice? Really? There's countless better options on the PC.

T-Matt

brain_stew said:
Well I have to disagree, I think they're excellent.

There's actually people that would want to use a classic controller for 3D games out of choice? Really? There's countless better options on the PC.
I'm sure there are. PC is the console of options.
Hope this adapter works well.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
HUELEN10 said:
Would this also work on PS3 BTW?

If the adapter is not plug and play (like Saturn USB Pad), then I don't think so.

Ermac

I just ordered mine today. Anyone who said they ordered it got it yet? I can find impressions of it anywhere

Rufus

I got mine a few days ago. Works like a charm. I did not try the re-mapping software that comes with it, so that might be crap. Otherwise though, it's exactly what I expected it to be. Good build quality as far as I can tell, long cable (if that's important to you; 6ft, I think?) plug and play (I'm on Win 7). All I can say for now.

Fularu

Banned
Mejilan said:
Uh-oh. Us Israelis better stay away from this software. He might try to GET US!

I don't see how his stance is controversial but many american companies stance on not allowing their software to be used in Syria for example isn't.

Rufus

I think you know very well why it is controversial if you bring up the Syria thing. (Which I personally didn't know about but consider equally odd/pointless.)

HUELEN10

Rufus said:
I got mine a few days ago. Works like a charm. I did not try the re-mapping software that comes with it, so that might be crap. Otherwise though, it's exactly what I expected it to be. Good build quality as far as I can tell, long cable (if that's important to you; 6ft, I think?) plug and play (I'm on Win 7). All I can say for now.
If you have the time to toy around with a PS3, please report your findings! I might buy one if it works on PS3.

Rufus

I don't have a PS3, unfortunately. Neither does anyone I know personally, so...
It conforms to the HID specification, so it might work, but I would wait on confirmation if I were you.

Even if it works I don't know if the buttons would be mapped out correctly, so, really, wait for someone to test it before you buy.

Fularu

Banned
Rufus said:
I think you know very well why it is controversial if you bring up the Syria thing. (Which I personally didn't know about but consider equally odd/pointless.)

Actually no, I don't. Why would forbidding goods to be used in Israel be controversial and forbidding the use of goods in Syria fine?

Rufus

Because it's not what anybody is/was saying in this thread. Not mentioning it does not mean that anybody condones it in Syria's case. (As I, for one, didn't even know about that until you brought it up.)

I just use Darwiin Remote, as it can use the classic controller when it's plugged into the Wii Remote. Great way to play Cave Story, btw.

GeeDuhb

speculawyer said:
Blasphemy.

Except for the wonky D-pad, the 360 controller is awesome.

All PC gamers that want to sit back really should get the wireless 360 dongle & controller. It works great and the controller has the best support out there due to MS's Games for Windows. (I'm not a fan of GFW but I do like the fact that they get the games to have 360 controller support.)

+1

I LOVE the 360 controller. I think I can safely say that it is my favorite controller ever. It is big, but not too big (see original Xbox controller.) I also like how sturdy it feels (I have heard many say that the Dual Shock 3 is awesome...I don't like it, because it feels almost like cheap plastic and it is too light.) I also love the face buttons; nice feel and location. And there is almost no argument for this point: Best triggers on any controller, EVER. (Even Dreamcast)

Ermac

Rufus said:

You wouldn't happen to have the Super Famicon CC Controller by any chance? I'm assuming it'll work but want to be 100% sure before I order.

Agnates

Banned
I don't see why people need to bash this. If it works well, it seems like a good option (as long as it's really plug n play for all the controllers, with mapable buttons, analog sticks, etc, regardless of what you connect, be it a classic controller, nunchuck, arcade stick, or whatever). It's good to inform people of how easy it is to connect any Wii controller on PC via bluetooth (clearly this particular device only lets you use add-on controllers, not the remote itself) but I don't see why people are ridiculed for their purchase decisions... This also won't eat your batteries, right? And I'm not a fan of the 360 controller, I use it for driving in games like GTAIV and that's about it. For retro style (actual old, or indie games, or whatever) I still would rather connect a wii remote (if it needs few buttons) or a classic controller. Though I'm still looking for a good solution for beat em ups, I'm eyeing a Saturn USB pad (the originals have the best d-pad ever, and great button setup) but it's so easy to be scammed and get a fake one it seems, I don't wanna risk it while being short on cash.

Top Bottom