• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic Era Conclusion - The Sonic Jam

RK128

I have been covering a lot of games in the Sonic series and it has been fun. But while I have been bouncing a bit between Classic, Dreamcast, and Modern originally, I focused on doing things in order from Classic, Dreamcast and Modern going forward.

With my recent Tails' Adventures thread, we come to a close with the Classic Era......but lets end it with a bang, or rather, a jam ;).

Sonic%20Jam%20(J)%20Book%20Back.jpg

That's right everyone, the last stop on the Classic Sonic Train is this lovely compliation that houses Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles (with lock on features fully restored). This collection also has a 3D Hub world to run around in using a prototype engine to Sonic Adventure and a ton of videos/images to see.

But.....we are not just going to cover the game.

Here we are covering EVERYTHING Classic Sonic :D!

- - - - - - - -
The Sonic Jam!

Lets start with the main course first, the game itself.

1702231-sonic_jam_3.jpg

You have one of two options when you start the game; either jump into something called 'Sonic World' or play one of the four main classic games. The important thing to note about Sonic Jam is that the classic sonic games.....are not emulated.

They are ports using Saturn hardware. So, what does that mean? It means the games are native Saturn games so they look a bit better, they run flawlessly, and have some extra features like Easy modes for each game and Sonic having the SpinDash in Sonic 1.

However, there is some slowdown in a few of the games (Sonic 2 for example) due to the porting (and like it running from CD instead of a cart) but still, it is an impressive collection and rebuilding of four great games.

Some of the best versions of the iconic games that we all love, so that makes this a great deal already.

But there is MORE!

di-EY1Q.gif

- - - - - - - -
Sonic Worlds!

00000092.jpg
Sonic_Jam_world_4675.png
rtsa9.png

Oh my, Sonic is in 3D?! Why yes, but this isn't new. Sonic the Fighters, 3D Blast and Sonic R all showed that the Hedgehog can hop into the third dimension with little issue. But this is the first time we saw Sonic move like, well, we would expect him to in 3D in a platforming setting.

He can grab Tails flying in the air, he can hop on springs to launch high in the sky, can collect gold rings and just run around with this great track playing in the background.

And it LOOKS like Sonic. The Sonic World location looks like a 3D version of Green Hill and its amazing to see a taste of what the Saturn could do with a proper 3D Sonic game. Interesting fact is that Sonic World is the Saturn prototype to Sonic Adventure, a game I will cover very, very soon ;).

Hands-On-Sonic-Jam-3.gif

- - - - - - - - -
Commercials and Video Fun!

Sonic Jam houses lots of little goodies for you to see like commercials, images of games, some music and more. There is too much to list here, so going to link to a playlist housing most of the videos Sonic Jam houses :).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LecH7KTDGAo&list=PLFB8159E22A38CA03&index=5

Sonic Commercials were quite something and its nice seeing JP's take on Sonic shine through with this series of videos.

- - - - - - - - - -
Music!

Sonic Jam has a great soundtrack and fellow Gaffer Drago was nice enough to share some links!

- - - - - - - - - -
Recent Classic Era Artwork

NeoGaf Member vainglorious reminded me about a recent art work released for the upcoming Classic Era comic book, Sonic Mega Drive! The artist shared various planning and test art with people via twitter and lets see what it looks like :D.

r7cR2Y7.jpg

1EatdIO.jpg

JQzkeL6.jpg

CcMcDQnUAAEqJNY.jpg

CcMcDQ_UUAE3VAn.jpg

- - - - - - - - - -
More to come!

Now, you would think that this is it, right? Only me covering a few pieces of this great collection and moving on to the next game?

NOPE XD!

Going to cover everything Classic Sonic, with the TV Shows coming up first!

"Blue Streak, Speeds by....to fast for the naked eye, Sonic the Hedgehog......"

- - - - - -

Just to keep things orginized, will be posting links to posts I make about everything in a nice order.

Sonic TV Blast:
Adventures of Sonic
Sonic Satam
Sonic Underground
Sonic the Hedgehog OVA

Lost Adventures:
Sonic Xtreme
SegaSonic the Hedgehog & Sonic Satam Game Pitch

Music Remixes

Best compilation ever. The 3D zone to see all that concept artwork and movies that I'd never seen before was worth it, but having an adjustable difficulty for the games was really nice too. It and Sonic R are the only two Saturn games I've held onto all these years.

RK128

Really fun that Sonic Adventure had its roots in this compilation, of all things.

Well, Jam originated from Sonic Team wanting something out on the Saturn to cover a 'mainline Sonic' and when they decided after a push from Sega of Japan to bring Sonic Adventure over the Dreamcast, they made the move to make Sonic Jam.

Take the main coding of the classic game + adding a few extra features using an prototype engine of Sonic Adventure (dubbed 'Sonic World') to house everything and BAM, instant Sonic :).

LewieP

I love how when picking which game to play, you see a 3D model of the mega drive cartridge, and it shows them physically locking together when you pick Sonic & Knuckles.

Ah I guess I learned where the spindash in my 3DS version of Sonic 1 came from. Do you reckon it's a port of this Saturn one?

Very interesting read! Also I really wish Adventure had stayed looking like that and running at that speed!

I have been very much enjoying all these Sonic rundowns that you've been doing. Thanks very much for your informative and entertaining takes on the series.

Drago

Picked up a copy of this game a few months back, it's a really stellar little collection. Sonic World was super neat to explore, makes me kinda sad they never got to do a real deal Sonic game for Saturn. It's rare when you see a collection have so much put into it, they stuffed tons of promo and concept arts in there along with commercials, manuals, box arts, everything. Just a great overall package. Plus, Sonic 1 spin dash! :D

It's got some great menu music too, just like the Mega Collection that came after it:
Gallery (Sonic 3 save select remix; this track was actually remade for Sonic Generations!)
Manual Viewer
Game Select
Sonic World

Jebusman

Banned
Why does Sonic World look like the 3D Sonic game I always wanted?

Adventure was fine (when it came out, I don't think it really holds up anymore), but Sonic World looks like it could've been the Saturn's saving grace.

RK128

Sonic had quite a few TV adventures in the 90's XD!

Lets start with the most......'creative' one.

latest

What happens if you take the core concept of the Road Runner but blend it with Ren and Stimpy but its a bit more tame? Add ear-bleeding voices, some sloppy animation, loud music and some so-bad-its-good writing?

You get.......

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG!!!!!!!!!!!!

lnatdtyxxoyhbig.jpg

This show was quite the experience and as a great man once said "Its pretty good sometimes."

To be serious, I enjoyed this cartoon, as it was so stupid at points I couldn't help but laugh XD! Some episodes have really outlandish concepts while others are more simple but the show is really mixed. Some episodes are enjoyable while others are downright strange.

If you want to watch it, its up on Netflix if you're interested :).

Watch Doug Walker's Nostalgia Critic Review on this show to get a better understanding on how.....'strange' this show really is but will post some images of some odd moments of the show.

Adventures-of-Sonic-the-Hedgehog-3.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

300px-AosthSSSSSS.png

latest

hqdefault.jpg

latest

One last thing before I move on to the next show.......
SonicNoGood.gif

This iconic image alone has been a common saying when talking about Sonic :'). Really great joke honestly!

Next up for the TV shows is......
sat20.png

RK128

I have been very much enjoying all these Sonic rundowns that you've been doing. Thanks very much for your informative and entertaining takes on the series.

Happy to make people happy :D!

This thread will be updated frequently with me commenting on everything classic sonic leading up to my thread covering Sonic Adventure latter this week :).

Picked up a copy of this game a few months back, it's a really stellar little collection. Sonic World was super neat to explore, makes me kinda sad they never got to do a real deal Sonic game for Saturn. It's rare when you see a collection have so much put into it, they stuffed tons of promo and concept arts in there along with commercials, manuals, box arts, everything. Just a great overall package. Plus, Sonic 1 spin dash! :D

It's got some great menu music too, just like the Mega Collection that came after it:
Gallery (Sonic 3 save select remix; this track was actually remade for Sonic Generations!)
Manual Viewer
Game Select
Sonic World

This is great information! Would you mind if I put the soundtrack links in the OP :D?

Really great compilation. I spent many hours looking at all the goodies and playing the games. Only downside is the music can get a bit out of sync or cut off suddenly.

Mr-Joker

Banned

It's a good thing that I didn't own a Saturn during the 90s as I would have been pissed to what a main series Sonic game on the Saturn could have been like but alas it never came to fruition.

It's like if Nintendo released a compilation of the Mario games on the N64 with a small 3D hub world where you get to control Mario and that was his only game on the system and Mario 64 was released on the Gamecube instead.

Still though the 3D hub world in Sonic Jam does look pretty good.

RK128

It's a good thing that I didn't own a Saturn during the 90s as I would have been pissed to what a main series Sonic game on the Saturn could have been like but alas it never came to fruition.

It's like if Nintendo released a compilation of the Mario games on the N64 with a small 3D hub world where you get to control Mario and that was his only game on the system and Mario 64 was released on the Gamecube instead.

Still though the 3D hub world in Sonic Jam does look pretty good.

Blame Sega for making life hell for the Sonic Xtreme team. Sonic Team wanted to move on to other projects and after making a string of great games, who could blame them?

Burning Rangers, Nights, and Ristar are all wonderful titles and if they were forced to work on sonic for the Saturn right away, we would of never got these gems.

Sonic Team WAS going to make Adventure for the Saturn but Sega pushed them to make it for the upcoming Dreamcast to have a strong launch title.....and it was badly rushed.

Will cover that part of Adventure when I get to it but the original JP release of Adventure was a bad mess :(.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Ah I guess I learned where the spindash in my 3DS version of Sonic 1 came from. Do you reckon it's a port of this Saturn one?

It's not. The Sonic Jam source code was made available to them but it didn't end up being of much use, so they ended up getting help from none other than Yuji Naka:

http://blogs.sega.com/2013/12/03/se...nic-the-hedgehog-interview-with-developer-m2/

YO: We’ve made the stage select a standard feature because we want players to see every stage, and for the people who gave up on the original to come back and give Sonic another try. One more thing is the Spin Dash. This was actually a lot of work to put in. These days, everyone knows the Spin Dash from modern Sonic, but it wasn’t in the very first game. So when people go to play the first game, they’re like, “Wait, what?” (laughs)They always try to Spin Dash right away.

The only version that included it was the version included in Sonic Jam for the Saturn. You can use the Spin Dash in that version, so when I asked M2 to put the Spin Dash in, I brought the program source along with me. (laughs)

– I see. (laughs)

YO: But Sonic Jam[4] was a Saturn-era game, so it wasn’t running Sonic The Hedgehog via emulator.

NH: First off, we wanted to find out if there was some data in Sonic Jam that resembled the MegaDrive version of Sonic The Hedgehog, and if there was, we could just do a comparison to the original game, note the differences, and analyze them. But as we got deep into the code, we realized “there’s nothing like that here at all”, and that’s where the story starts.

YO: M2 told me: “we looked over Sonic Jam’s source code, but we don’t get it.”

NH: Well, it wasn’t so much that we “didn’t get it” but rather that looking through a couple gigabytes of data and picking out what we need would be super exhausting. So I asked Okunari-san, “We need to know where to start looking, so please let us talk with the original development staff.”

YO: I immediately went to Takashi Iizuka, the head of Sonic Team, and asked him who worked on that portion of the game, and he told me, “Oh, Yuji Naka did that part.” His name was in fact in the credits, despite being a department manager at the time. (laughs) So Yuji Naka himself added Spin Dash as a “fix” to the original MegaDrive version… I had no other options, so I wound up sending a mail to Naka-san, who is now the president of a company called Prope, and asked, “Sorry, but could you let us know how you added Spin Dash to the game?” And he replied with some sage words of advice.

– Oh, wow!

NH: There was a nice explanation and he basically said “It’s easy, give it a shot.” Which makes you go: “Easy!?…what the…” you know? Man, people from that era are really amazing. But thanks to his help, we were able to get the Spin Dash implemented. Still, it’s not like we just put it in and it worked perfectly. No, once we started playing with it, we ran into places in-game where we had to question whether it even worked with the game design. Once it was implemented, there was a ton of things to check.

YO: When it was first implemented, there were no animations or graphics for it. Since the action wasn’t in the original, the graphic wasn’t either.

NH: Sonic The Hedgehog already nearly maxes out the MegaDrive’s VRAM, so when you’re told to add in Spin Dash animations on top of that, you don’t have much space to work with. That’s when we decided that our new virtual platform, this thing we were calling the GigaDrive, needed a VRAM extension.

YO: After that, we were able to pull graphics and animations from Sonic The Hedgehog 2 and add them into the game. The next problem we ran into once the Spin Dash got implemented was that since it wasn’t an action in the original, there were places in the game where you would wind up flying off the screen and dying.

I sort of panicked, and was saying “oh, this is bad,” to which M2’s programmer said: “well, what’d you expect?” So I went back to Sonic Jam to see what they had done, and it turned out they’d addressed all those bugs in their version. That’s when we realized that we’d need to bring in not only the move’s action itself, but all the bug fixes from Sonic Jam that went along with it as well!

– Wait, so you mean that the Sonic The Hedgehog in Sonic Jam wasn’t using the original MegaDrive version’s data?

YO: No, it was based on the original data.

NH: It’s doesn’t run on an emulator; I think the original code was most likely adapted for the Saturn. It’s similar to how people got arcade games running on the X68000. It was a pretty common approach for titles in the latter half of the Saturn’s lifecycle. This is also similar to the method used to run Space Harrier on the Super 32X.

– So the changes made to the Sonic Jam version were useful as a reference point?

NH: Yes they were.

This game is one of the single best pieces of fan service ever released. All four classics rebuilt, all features from the lock on present, an art gallery, music collection, history, and other stuff present is a pretty damn worthwhile package. I still have my copy. I dove in and didn't touch anything for months, despite already owning and finishing the Genesis versions. I'd say every Sonic fan should play this but it is quite hard to track down along with a Saturn...

RK128

This game is one of the single best pieces of fan service ever released. All four classics rebuilt, all features from the lock on present, an art gallery, music collection, history, and other stuff present is a pretty damn worthwhile package. I still have my copy. I dove in and didn't touch anything for months, despite already owning and finishing the Genesis versions. I'd say every Sonic fan should play this but it is quite hard to track down along with a Saturn...

They should consider re-releasing this on current gen to celebrate the anniversary in some way. Add in a few more games (CD 2011, Chaotix, some of the Game Gear Games, SegaSonic the Hedgehog) and bam, great digital remaster :).

AdamisFox

Sonic Jam is my favourite compilation. The Sonic World hub is a blast to run in, the music is fantastic and the chill I got when seeing the OVA trailer for the first time... great memories !

Wow, going to read through that thread now and update the OP if I come across comments about the port quality of the Classic games :D!

Great job with the thread and thank you for sharing this with me :).

No problem, there's some nice posts from folks in there that clarify how the collection was done tech wise and other interesting replies.

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog Critique

I will say, this is my second favorite Sonic cartoon overall (Boom at first place), because I've never enjoyed the dark, or serious kind of shows of SATAM or Underground, and Sonic X is..... there.

I mean, how can you make a game about a fast blue hedgehog that fights a fat doctor that capture woodland creatures for his own bidding into something that wants to take itself seriously? At least with Adventures of Sonic and Sonic Boom it's just a lighthearted silly cartoon.

Cue the PINGAS! and "I thought your middle name was, The" moments

Great thread! Sonic Jam on the Saturn is my favorite platformer compilation (or collection) ever. I prefer it over Mario Maker.

RK128

"Blue Streak Speeds By, Sonic the Hedgehog,
To fast for the naked eye, Sonic the Hedgehog,
Sonic, he can really move
Sonic, he has an attitude,
Sonic, he is the fastest thing alive!"

sat20.png

THIS show, man, where do I start :D!?

When people think of Sonic on TV, this tends to be the first thing that springs to mind. Such an epic show that nails the spirit of the original games.

Lets start with the setting; it takes place on a world called Mobius with humans and animals living together, walking & talking. But Sonic's Uncle Chuck worked on a device that can turn people into robots, allowing illnesses to be gone and the world freed from natural issues (death, ect).

hqdefault.jpg

But Robotnik altered this mechine, having the same effects but with a horrid side-effect; free will is gone. So, once you turn into a robot THAT IS IT. You are gone, a fate worse then death.

maxresdefault.jpg

Robotnik uses this to his advantage and stars a hostile take over of the entire world. Fast foward to the show and we see a world covered in metal and steal, with a small group of freedom fighters working together to save the forest, turn everything back to normal and defeating robotnik once and for all!

So, does this sound like a great idea for a TV Sh.....OF COURSE IT DOES XD!

It takes the nature vs. mechine established by the Genesis games and brings it to its logical extreme. The tone is far darker from the games due to Robotnik winning and the bad futures from Sonic CD are a taste into what this show offers in tone.

With Sonic on the cover, how does he get involved and how is the show!

Well, Sonic lives a normal life with his Uncle Chuck and his dog but when Robotnik takes over, both Chuck and his dog get robotized, with Sonic's goal being to stop Robotnik and restoring his family back to normal. The Archie comic based on the show goes step further with his mother and father getting robotized too.

So, Sonic has a real reason to stop Robotnik outside of 'Gotta save the day!"

The story of the show for everyone else has characters that are still around with the Archie comic like Rotor (tech guy), Bunny Rabot (half rabbit/half machine creature Sonic saves from complete robotization), Sally (leader and princess) and Antone (warrior who gets intimidated easily). Tails is also part of this group but he is side-lined a bit more (though he is still Sonic's best buddy like in the games.

satam-maincast.gif

Between this strong cast of characters and Robotnik being a major threat, we are in for some great episodes, awesome set pieces and more!

The show only got two seasons (with a planed third one never happening) but its around (not on Netflix anymore :() and its story got adapted into a Comic from Archie. Its the longest running video game comic in history and recent issues past #160 are damn good.

Give this a watch and lets save the forest!

latest

Didn't know the Sonic 3 menu remix from Generations was actually a remix of this remix, but both being Gallery themes (and slower than the original) makes it seem likely that's the case.

RK128

I will say, this is my second favorite Sonic cartoon overall (Boom at first place), because I've never enjoyed the dark, or serious kind of shows of SATAM or Underground, and Sonic X is..... there.

I mean, how can you make a game about a fast blue hedgehog that fights a fat doctor that capture woodland creatures for his own bidding into something that wants to take itself seriously? At least with Adventures of Sonic and Sonic Boom it's just a lighthearted silly cartoon.

Cue the PINGAS! and "I thought your middle name was, The" moments

I can understand the desire for a light tone with Sonic; fits the series the best honestly. Satam is impressive to me as despite the harsh tone, it was 'still' Sonic. The fact they nailed that when Sega themselves have trouble with that sometimes is impressive.

But Boom is my second favorite Sonic cartoon after Satam (with Adventures being third, Sonic X being fourth and Underground being dead last, but will comment on Underground very soon :D).

Didn't know the Sonic 3 menu remix from Generations was actually a remix of this remix, but both being Gallery themes (and slower than the original) makes it seem likely that's the case.

I never knew that either XD! You learn something new everyday I guess :).

I can understand the desire for a light tone with Sonic; fits the series the best honestly. Satam is impressive to me as despite the harsh tone, it was 'still' Sonic. The fact they nailed that when Sega themselves have trouble with that sometimes is impressive.

But Boom is my second favorite Sonic cartoon after Satam (with Adventures being third, Sonic X being fourth and Underground being dead last, but will comment on Underground very soon :D).

I can see the like towards SATAM to say the least, but hey, personal preferences by this point. Boom is still my favorite because Knuckles, do I need to say more?

Edit: The ironic thing about the more light heart tone with recent Sonics since Colors is that the writers for them are from MadWorld and Happy Tree Friends, who would've thought it.

RK128

I can see the like towards SATAM to say the least, but hey, personal preferences by this point. Boom is still my favorite because Knuckles, do I need to say more?

I completely agree with you on that one XD!

Knuckles is amazing in Boom. The scene where he takes glasses out to read a letter but says not long after "I can't read" was amazing :').

Saw your edit and ya, that is a very ironic. Creators from a hyper-violent web-series....working on Sonic? Such an odd combination :').

SATAM is worth watching for its portrayal of Robotnik alone. They managed to take a goofy non-intimidating villain like Eggman and turn him into basically Satan and it was glorious.

Oooh, it warms the cockles of my heart...

RK128

SATAM is worth watching for its portrayal of Robotnik alone. They managed to take a goofy non-intimidating villain like Eggman and turn him into basically Satan and it was glorious.

Oooh, it warms the cockles of my heart...

Fun Fact: The same VA as Robotnik in the cartoon also voices Winnie the Pooh and Cat (from CatDog) :). Talk about dat range XD!

RK128

showposter.jpg

Ready to rock out to a great Sonic Cartoon :D? After Satam, they would have an easy time making a Sonic cartoon, so this should be good.....not it isn't :(.

Its my most hated Sonic show and its for a lot of reasons.

Firstly, the soundtrack. Yes, this show has a total of 41 tracks, with each episode having a unique song. Here is a link to the full playlist.....but please, don't listen to it. The vocals are really bad due to a singer for Sonic that is really, really bad.

Oh, and this brings into my second point, the cast. Sonic has a brother and sister.......
tumblr_m65sd4BduI1r6d999.jpg

Bother is named Manic (plays the drums) and his sister is named Sonia (using a keyboard). Sonic uses a guitar and the plot of the series is a bit dumb.

Sonic, Sonia and Manic hail from a queen who leaves them behind after Robotnik takes over. The great theme song explains things well enough. In many ways, this tries to be a hybrid of Satam and Adventures of Sonic.....but it doesn't mesh well at all :(.

Our boy Knuckles appears in the show though.....but its only for one episode and he is tricked by Robotnik (so original, its not like past games did this or anything).

I hate this show due to it being so dumb. Sonic playing music should be really cool but the music is bad. Robotnik should be menacing or funny but he is neither. His brother/sister are more annoying then anything else. The world is boring compared to the crazy world of Adventures or the harsh locations of Satam. Its a mess and a bad show to end the TV series of Sonic on :(.

I don't have any attachment to this show, so will be posting a few images.
41.png

latest

Sonic's last animated venture for this era of Sonic is something that Sonic Team worked closely on :). The Sonic OVA!

blog-0941870001404146280.jpg

RK128

tumblr_m9ozbe40Mp1rcpfkho1_r1_500.png

This movie/OVA was an co-production between Sonic Team, SEGA Japan and the animation studio hired by Sonic Team to make the animated opening/endings to Sonic CD.

So, we are in for a really authentic Sonic adventure that is the closest to a media adaptation of the Classic Series in the realm of animation.

What is the plot to this grand movie? Sonic and Tails are relaxing on South Island, part of a world called Freedom Planet (*cough*). Sonic and Tails get a message about the president needing help, so Sonic & Tails head over to his place.

They see Robo-I mean Eggman holding the president and his daughter Sara hostage. Eggman needs help gaining his base back from Metal Eggman, so Sonic & Tails venture off to defeat the robotic doctor. Along the way they encounter our boy Knuckles, Sara has some funny scenes with Eggman and we have some great fight scenes with characters like Metal Sonic.

I really love this short little film as, well, its so authentic to Classic Sonic. Everyone looks like they got ripped right out of the Genesis games, the world screams Sonic and the music is something I could hear blasting out of a high-quality Sega CD. Its an animated version of a Sonic game, and finally seeing that is amazing.

I love Satam and I enjoy the Boom cartoon a lot, but THIS is what I love about the OVA; its one of the best and closest interpretations of Sonic we got in animation.

We also got a great soundtrack, which I will link to here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp9-1XBCCn4&list=PLzgih0x9WNpdxU6p7M9cQJKYBf4RsU_MR&index=2

Sara is a character I want to talk about though, as she is the 'fan service' character of the film. As you know, as a lot of JP anime has that token fan service character. To be fair though, she does a lot more then some princess we see latter on; she works with Eggman at points and is funny. While annoying, I liked her character enough to deal with her.

Metal Sonic rocks here, as he is a clone of Sonic; he was made using Sonic's DNA, so he acts more like Sonic as the movie goes on. It all comes to this amazing fight scene with the iconic statement:
"You may know everything I am going to do, but guess what? I know everything you are going to do. Strange, isn't it!?!"

Love that scene a lot :').

Here are some images from the movie and please give it a watch if you have the time. Great way to kill an hour or so.
tumblr_n4jp8mx3rR1rzkxhio1_400.gif

latest

tVTP4qj.jpg

sonicova-300x229.jpg

Movie-Sara_727.png

RK128

Now that TV shows and movie/OVA is covered, going to be touching on the 'lost' games next, which include the following: Sonic Xtreme, SegaSonic the Hedgehog and a Canceled Pitch for a Sonic Satam game.

Not making posts on those now, but they will be coming tomorrow :). Hope you all look forward to it :D!

Sonic Underground will always be remembered by me, because toys for that show were the first time I had ever seen any Knuckles plushies.

Denny's of all the places had Knuckles (and Sonic) plushies. My parents got them for my sister and I for Christmas, I got Sonic (he even has the little necklace), and she got Knuckles... even though I wanted Knuckles.

20 years later and she still won't let me have that Knuckles, even if it's just sitting in a box in her closet...

That Sonic toy got a lot of play, though, as I played through made up scenes from Sonic Adventure. When I got older, I handed it down to my baby brother and it was his favorite toy until he grew too old for it, and now it lives in a box in my attic, sadly.

RK128

Sonic Underground will always be remembered by me, because toys for that show were the first time I had ever seen any Knuckles plushies.

Denny's of all the places had Knuckles (and Sonic) plushies. My parents got them for my sister and I for Christmas, I got Sonic (he even has the little necklace), and she got Knuckles... even though I wanted Knuckles.

20 years later and she still won't let me have that Knuckles, even if it's just sitting in a box in her closet...

That Sonic toy got a lot of play, though, as I played through made up scenes from Sonic Adventure. When I got older, I handed it down to my baby brother and it was his favorite toy until he grew too old for it, and now it lives in a box in my attic, sadly.

I can understand that :).

When I was little, my mom got me a Pikachu plush and I loved it, held on to it for my childhood. But three years after I got it, I lost it. My mom tried getting me a new one but she knew I would notice the difference between plush's and I did.

Fast forward 10 or so years and one day me and my mom go to Nintendo World and I show her the Pokemon section. She sees stuffed Pokemon and sees one being a Pikachu, smiling and we both remember the time I lost it. We were going to get it.....but it was almost 30 bucks :l.

I also still have stuffed animals in the corner of my room (a little cat named Oliver named after the Disney movie 'Oliver and Company' and a stuff Pooh that my mom got me when I was three); they are sentimental and even as we grow older, we keep them as memento's :).

Sonic Jam is my favorite Sonic compilation. That dedication, value, good taste and technical prowess. Now all we see is a list of roms in standard menú. Awful.

RK128

Sonic Jam is my favorite Sonic compilation. That dedication, value, good taste and technical prowess. Now all we see is a list of roms in standard menú. Awful.

I think the reason we got the Sonic world in Sonic Jam was because Sonic Team thought: "Damn.....we aren't getting a mainline Sonic on the Saturn after all. Okay, lets take the engine work we have done so far and wrap it within a nice collection of Sonic with everything from the series in Japan. People should be happy and be tied over until we get Sonic Adventure out the door :)."

Not the worst idea at all and it was a nice 'good bye' moment of the Classic Sonic series.

I do agree; it was a masterful collection that was a lot better then it had the right to be :).

hodgy100

It's not. The Sonic Jam source code was made available to them but it didn't end up being of much use, so they ended up getting help from none other than Yuji Naka:

http://blogs.sega.com/2013/12/03/se...nic-the-hedgehog-interview-with-developer-m2/

Wow, didn't know the spindash took that much effort to bring into the game! Thank you for sharing this :). Really cool reading this for the first time :D.

There is also this guide:

http://info.sonicretro.org/SCHG_How-to:Add_Spin_Dash_to_Sonic_1/Part_1

its actually a fiarly easy hack to do. I did it myself in my unfinished "pikachu in sonic 1" hack

I rented this as a kid, and went back to buy it the next week only to find it gone. As a huge Sonic kid, I was devastated. I've been looking for it ever since. Still have yet to ever run across a copy.

Top Bottom