• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Classic Sales-Age* MAR-1994 (U.S.) w/ figures: NBA JAM > 1.0 million!!!

NBA JAM smashes all sales records!!
It's The Madden of 16-Bit!!!

MARCH 1994:
(March is a five week month)
U.S. Figures Only
Code:
1   GEN     NBA JAM ($55)	                                 Acclaim   698,423!/ NEW
2   SNES	NBA JAM ($62)	                                 Acclaim   402,744!/ NEW
3   GEN	Sonic The Hedgehog 3 ($57)	                 Sega       140,983 / 436,394
4   GEN	Mortal Kombat ($55)	                                 Acclaim	 56,080	
5   GEN	Aladdin ($50)	                                 Sega	 44,577	
6   SNES	Ken Griffey Jr. Presents MLB ($47)	 Nintendo	 43,422 / NEW
7   GEN	NHL 94 ($54)	                                 EA	 34,634 / 105,355
8   GEN	NBA Showdown 94 ($57)	                 EA	 34,412 / NEW
9   GEN	World Series Baseball ($56)        	 Sega	 33,238 / NEW
10 GEN	Sonic Spinball	                                 Sega	 30,474	
11 GEN	Eternal Champions ($59)	                 Sega	 28,189	
12 GEN	Ms. Pac-man ($21)	                                 Midway	 27,299	
13 SNES	Aladdin ($59)	                                 Capcom	 25,352	
14 SNES	Mortal Kombat ($60)	                                 Acclaim	 24,444	
15 GEN	FIFA Soccer ($58)	                                 EA	 23,619	
16 SNES	Super Mario All-Stars ($56)	                 Nintendo	 22,553	
17 SNES	Super Mario Kart ($49)	                 Nintendo	 22,088	
18 GEN	Street Fighter II: Special Champion Ed ($63) Capcom	 21,132	
19 GEN	X-Men ($49)	                                 Sega	 19,118	
20 GEN	John Madden NFL 94 ($55)	                 EA	 18,985	
21 SNES	Mega Man X ($64)	                                 Capcom	 18,192 / 64,858
22 GEN	Joe Montana NFL Football 94 ($54)	 Sega	 17,655	
23 NES	Tetris 2 ($39)	                                 Nintendo	 16,976	
24 SNES	Mario Paint ($57)	                                 Nintendo    16,888	
25 GEN	Jurassic Park ($48)	                                 Sega	 15,377	

Sega Genesis ($112)	      277,140 
                Super NES	($115)             171,800 
                NES ($54)	                        41,929 
                Atari Jaguar ($250)	          3,117 
                3DO Multiplayer ($492)         1,994
Bundled Stuff:
GEN w/ Sonic 2 ($120) 177,725
SNES w/ SMW ($123) 132,901
SNES w/ SMK ($120) 2,092 / NEW

Previous months:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106540 < FEB
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106330 < JAN

Just added, HW sales so far this year:
1994rivalrygraph6mo.png

Jim

Go NBA Jam... pfft, who needs EA when you have Acclaim.
Though I'm hearing good things about this "NBA Live" series which is coming out in '95.

(Thanks for these awesome threads, BTW)

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Wow, big drop for Sonic 3. I'm a little worried its gimped number of zones is hurting its sales legs. We need S&K stat!

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Know what Nintendo needs? A new Mario game. Look how much Super Mario Bros. 3 sold, I'm sure we will get a new Mario side scroller sometime this year!

Pimpbaa

Look at those increased 3DO sales. That price drop really helped. It's only a matter of time before it's the dominate platform.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Pimpbaa said:
Look at those increased 3DO sales. That price drop really helped. It's only a matter of time before it's the dominate platform.
Do you honestly think a $500 system will ever sell well? That is alot of money!

yayaba

Archie said:

Honestly... no game company would ever dare to sell their systems for $500+ after this!

I'm kind of disappointed that Mario Paint dropped so fast. But yeah, Sonic 3 definitely has legs and I think everyone underestimated NBA Jam. I think this list just shows how bad the SNES is getting stomped

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Impressive how the NES still continues to sell... Its probably cutting into sales of the SNES. When the NES market migrates to the SNES, then Sega will be in some trouble.

Oh, and can we get some SEGA-CD sales up in here?

AlanHemberger said:
I'm kind of disappointed that Mario Paint dropped so fast. But yeah, Sonic 3 definitely has legs and I think everyone underestimated NBA Jam. I think this list just shows how bad the SNES is getting stomped

Don't be, Mario Paint was actually released August 1992. For it to still be on the charts even at that price is very impressive, not even Star Fox lasted this long.

djtiesto said:
Oh, and can we get some SEGA-CD sales up in here?

Maybe if Sega CD sales were higher they'd make it into the TOP25:lol .
If a Sega CD title ever sells enough i'll include in the TOP25, but that hasn't happened yet.
Look for a release list of upcoming games that might sell well, so you'll know what to expect.

Reilly

Red Scarlet said:
That game's crazy. I'm at this computer, and it tells me to reset the machine, and I don't know what to do. SOMEONE HELP!

I know me too >.<

There needs to be a website where all sorts of game faqs are made so we can easily look up codes.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
what an amazing legs Tetris 2 NES has. I think next generation will be Nintendo's last attempt and after that it will go third party.

Red Scarlet

So it's like phone sex? What do you do on Prodigy?

Didn't SF2T come out around the same time as Special Champion Edition? Or did the Genesis one have longer legs?

Pimpbaa

Archie said:

But it's not just a game machine, it's a multimedia center! It can play audio cds (with CD+G), photo cds, and video cds! That makes it worth the money.

Red Scarlet said:
So it's like phone sex? What do you do on Prodigy?

Didn't SF2T come out around the same time as Special Champion Edition? Or did the Genesis one have longer legs?

Yeah only a month apart, but SFII Turbo fell off the TOP25 this month (see Feb).

Ah, Sega's good year up until that Fall (when Nintendo dropped DKC). If Nintendo had allowed MK1 to be as gory as MK2 this wouldn't be an issue.

aku:jiki

Pimpbaa said:
But it's not just a game machine, it's a multimedia center! It can play audio cds (with CD+G), photo cds, and video cds! That makes it worth the money.
You 3DO fanboys are the worst, I swear. Although, I will admit that the M3 looks hot. It'll forever change the face of gaming when it finally hits!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
NBA Jam was actually the game that got me interested in basketball. Can't believe it's been 12 years...

lyre

How can a purely TV and other gizmo player like Panasonic be the market leader in gaming?!!? It's like ... I dunno .. SONY being the market leader!! It's unfathomable I tells ya.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Reilly said:
I know me too >.<

There needs to be a website where all sorts of game faqs are made so we can easily look up codes.

Pft

It would never replace the tip hotlines.

p.s

NBA Jam is the hottest thing since Peter Andre

Link1110

Is it 95 when SNES overcomes the Genesis? Oh man 16 bit wars were so good.

Talk from the future:
I never knew Genesis outsold SNES for so long, SNES really only won because of Japan. Remind you of anything recent? :D

If we want to talk as if from 2006 in these threads, lets just do it in spoilers, so everyone wins

Top Bottom