• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Classic Sales-Age* MAR-1994 (U.S.) w/ figures: NBA JAM > 1.0 million!!!

Deku

Banned
Well SFC controlled something like 90% of the Japanese market so WW, SFC/SNES was always winning.

That said I kept hearing from certain quarters that the SNES (specifically) won the NA market. But looking at these numbers, is this true?

Tiktaalik

The big thing I always heard on the school yard was that "Genesis has better sports games!!" but I had EA's NHL 9X games on my SNES too so I don't know what the fuss is about? Was it that Genesis had EA games earlier by a year or something? I only remember there being 94,95,96 on the SNES.

Mrbob

Man I can't believe how badly Sega botched the Saturn. They had so much momentum with the Genesis they almost had to try harder to screw things up than keep things going.

Anyone interested in making a detailed graph of the monthly HW sales i'm posting (like the ones in the media-create threads) thad be updated regularly in each new thread? I think id be cool.
Plus any scans from magazines from this time or screens of the latest and upcoming titles.
When is CES '94?

Tiktaalik

Mrbob said:
Man I can't believe how badly Sega botched the Saturn. They had so much momentum with the Genesis they almost had to try harder to screw things up than keep things going.

Well as I remember it (although it may be a bit off since I didn't follow games so much back then) was that Sega already annoyed their fanbase, and weakened it's reputation by their half assed releases of the Sega CD and 32X.

TheDuce22

Banned

The funny thing is Saturn is actually my favorite console. I guess it came out when I was just the right age for videogames. Plus there were a ton of games that have yet to be duplicated or improved upon. Shining Force 3 is still the best console strat RPG out there IMO, Guardian Heros the best beat em up. There is NOTHING like Dragon Force out there, or NiGHTS. Not to mention all the acrade classics they ported to the system. My Saturn remains hooked up to this day, Sega went out with a bang at least.

Rlan

Might be a pain, but have you got the figures for Sonic Spinball Pre-JAN1994? It came out in Novemebr if dates online are correct.

Jiggy

TheDuce22 said:
The funny thing is Saturn is actually my favorite console. I guess it came out when I was just the right age for videogames. Plus there were a ton of games that have yet to be duplicated or improved upon. Shining Force 3 is still the best console strat RPG out there IMO, Guardian Heros the best beat em up. There is NOTHING like Dragon Force out there, or NiGHTS.
What I wouldn't do for a Dragon Force sequel on DS. ...Or even a port.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
AniHawk said:
THE DS?! WHAT IS THIS WITCHCRAFT YOU SPEAK OF.
In the future, Nintendo releases a handheld with the graphical capabilities of the Ultra 64. It also has COLOR and TWO screens.

yayaba

Archie said:
In the future, Nintendo releases a handheld with the graphical capabilities of the Ultra 64. It also has COLOR and TWO screens.

The Ultra 64? WHAT IS THIS MADNESS?!?

Genesis domination!!!

The SNES has got nothing on the Genesis, just wait till this new system called Saturn hits, oh man its going to be over.

Oh and did you guys hear the rumor that Sony wants to make a system, LOL that will never work!

Since no one else will make a graph I guess I'll haf to.

AniHawk said:
Man, even with a price drop, the 3DO, Jaguar and SNES are no match for the power of the Sega Genesis.

Amazing.

Exactly, take a look at how wide the gap is!

1994rivalrygraph6mo.png

For all you Atari, 3DO, (and soon to be Sony) fanboys: accept it, your consoles will never dominate against beasts like Sega & Nintendo!:D

Qtopia

Banned
Gooooooo SNES!!!!!

Man when NBA Jam & MK were released it was the heyday of the 16-bit era. Everyone was on the GEN bandwagon. I had both systems but rarely used my GEN. The SNES had MUCH better graphics and the colors absolutely made the Genesis look like garbage. In fact I was one of those weirdos who pretty much used my Genesis for the Sega CD.

Jurassic Park CD, Vay, Lunar 1-2, Dark Warrior, and Willy Beamish were awesome! Does anybody remember the Sega CD game that was just a point & click game that had you pressing buttons for small action? I think it was like Panic or something. I have been trying to remember and purchase it for awhile!
Q

cvxfreak

I hail from the future. :D

I think everyone can agree that the 16-bit war in the US was, for the most part, close to a tie. I mean, Nintendo didn't kill Sega or anything, but they barely won it.

And the margins here are even larger than the DS-PSP war going on now, nevermind the GBA (which, I guess is the NES equivalent of today).

Qtopia said:
Does anybody remember the Sega CD game that was just a point & click game that had you pressing buttons for small action? I think it was like Panic or something. I have been trying to remember and purchase it for awhile!
Q

jooey to thread.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Guys i heard a rumor that sony is going to get into the console business. Take this with a grain of salt, but i heard it from an industry insider. I feel bad for them though, Sega is going to trounce everyone. I heard from another friend of mine genesis 2 is going to have 54,000 colors on screen, 15 layers of transparency and a processor capable of showing 4000 sprites on screen at once. He also mentioned something about super scaling, i dont know what that is though.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
sp0rsk said:
Guys i heard a rumor that sony is going to get into the console business. Take this with a grain of salt, but i heard it from an industry insider. I feel bad for them though, Sega is going to trounce everyone. I heard from another friend of mine genesis 2 is going to have 54,000 colors on screen, 15 layers of transparency and a processor capable of showing 4000 sprites on screen at once. He also mentioned something about super scaling, i dont know what that is though.
:lol wait for Ultra 64. It'll render Jurassic Park in REAL TIME.

Go Jaguar! It may be starting slow, but at least it's beating its competition (the 3DO). It'll pick up as the games start rolling in. Atari is BACK! I've been holding off on getting one, but I hear Aliens vs. Predator is due out very soon. That game looks killer! I'm gonna snag a Jag before it comes out.

donny2112

Deku said:
Well SFC controlled something like 90% of the Japanese market so WW, SFC/SNES was always winning.

That said I kept hearing from certain quarters that the SNES (specifically) won the NA market. But looking at these numbers, is this true?

I believe so. The Donkey Kong Country series propelled the SNES to incredible sales when it was released in late 1994.

I can't wait for Super Metroid to come out next month! Anyone know how it did in Japan for March?

Can we post scans of the Nintendo Power magazine from
way back in March 1994
this month?

NBA Jam is one of the best games of all time. Didn't knew it sold that good twelve years ago, though that's well deserved. Damn I must play it again this evening! I think that none of its sequels are any good, though.

Arcade sports games definitely need to come back. Screw simulations.

NBA%20Jam%20TE%20SS9.jpg

UGLY SHOT!

donny2112 [b said:
I can't wait for Super Metroid to come out next month![/b] Anyone know how it did in Japan for March?

Can we post scans of the Nintendo Power magazine from
way back in
March 1994 this month?

YES! Please do, thad be awesome! And other American magazines as well.
We wanna see what titles are coming and hear the latest rumors.

According to ioi's charts:
Super Metroid sold 554,000 during March in Japan!!:)
Apparently the Japanese have bin craving a Metroid sequel just as much as we are, maybe more so!
Yall wanna start making predictions for Super Metroid's American debut next month?
It comes out on the 18th so it'll be available for two & a half weeks.

AniHawk

Square2005 said:
Apparently the Japanese have bin craving a Metroid sequel just as much as we are, maybe more so!
Yall wanna start making predictions for Super Metroid's American debut next month?

Super Metroid will suck. Its home is on Game Boy or the NES.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Square2005 said:

AniHawk said:
Super Metroid will suck. Its home is on Game Boy or the NES.
Can you imagine a 3D Metroid that played like Doom? That would be awesome, I hope it happens. Metroid is totally made for this style of gameplay.

donny2112

Square2005 said:
YES! Please do, thad be awesome! And other American magazines as well.
We wanna see what titles are coming and hear the latest rumors.

I just want confirmation that I won't be banned, first. :p

Nintendo Power March 1994:
Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 on the cover
6-page feature on NBA Jam
Stunt Race FX
4-page feature on Winter C.E.S. '94
NP Mar '04 said:
"I can't wait for Project Reality!"

Unfortunately, we'll have to wait until later this year to play the first Project Reality arcade games, but the demonstrations of Silicon Graphics technology had show-goers counting down the minutes. Jim Clark, president of SGI, answered one of the biggest questions: how Nintendo will be able to offer so much for so little. Clark explained how economies of scale have reduced the price of personal computers from thousands of dollars to hundreds in less than ten years. Since CES, Nintendo announced that the system will use mega-Game Paks with at least 100 Megabits of memory - five times larger than any game - accessing data at 2 million times the speed of most CD-ROMs.
4-page feature on Video Game Colleges
NP Mar '04 said:
One of the questions that may pop into your mind as you read this article is, "When are we going to see video game colleges open in North America?" Although there are currently no video game colleges in the U.S., DigiPen Applied Computer Graphics School, in Vancouver, BC, will begin accepting applications this June for a two-year program beginning in September.
Trick Warp for Link's Awakening in Classified Information (I love doing that trick! :D )
Super Metroid comic
Nintendo Power Awards '93
NP Mar '04 said:
Best Overall Game - SNES
1. Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse
2. Super Empire Strikes Back
3. Super Mario All-Stars
4. Street Fighter II Turbo
5. Secret of Mana
6. Star Fox
7. Mortal Kombat
8. The Lost Vikings
NBA Jam got a 4.2/5.0 average

Hey guys, I have a few friends over in Redmond so I was able to get an early shot of the cover of the May 1994 Nintendo Power!!
covers are ok right? don't ban me, lol

May1994cover.jpg

I think this may turn out to be one of the best games ever!

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Hey guys! I heard that this new game called Too Human just entered development!
Hyping a game from an untested developer seems like a stupid move. We'll talk in a year and a half when the game is actually released.

AniHawk

Hey, I hear the next Duke Nukem game will play like DOOM. Man, I've been waiting forever for something like that.

There's nothing like Super Metroid on the Genesis so it's gotta turn the tide back in favor of SNES...this will be the game, you'll see it's effects this summer. And it's gonna happen w/o any blood involved:D.

Anymore predictions for April?

(The April chart will be posted tomorrow afternoon.)

donny2112

Predictions April 1994

GEN - 205K
SNES - 187K
NES - 33K (Nintendo combined > SEGA :p )
Jaguar - 2K
3D0 - 1.5K

Super Metroid - 425K
NBA Jam SNES - 250K
NBA Jam GEN - 500K
Sonic 3 < 100K

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
tambourine said:
NBA Jam is one of the best games of all time. Didn't knew it sold that good twelve years ago, though that's well deserved. Damn I must play it again this evening! I think that none of its sequels are any good, though.

Arcade sports games definitely need to come back. Screw simulations.

NBA%20Jam%20TE%20SS9.jpg

UGLY SHOT!

amedegrevphoenix0047hy.jpg

There is a contradiction in this screenshot. NBA Jam did feature the Chicago Bulls... but the team was represented by Scottie Pippen and Horace Grant, not Toni Kukoc!

gsnaruhodoobjectssmall8nx.gif

The picture shown is not of NBA Jam, but rather NBA Tournament Edition, released one year later!

polg

Mrbob said:

sega had some serious communication issues back then. While a team was working on the 32X in the US, they were "secretly" working on the saturn at the same time. I don't think I have tell you what happened :p

BorkBork: yeah obviously, I just googled a random 2D NBA Jam picture.

Would the NBA Jam Tournament Edition on SNES and Genesis/Megadrive play better than the original one? I've never played it.

Genesis had some momenteum, but it was a bit of fools gold.

They got battered by Donkey Kong Country and their popularity in '93/'94 was a bit inflated because of the Mortal Kombat blood issue.

When Nintendo gave the greenlight to Acclaim to put blood in Mortal Kombat 2 ... that was a pretty big blow to Sega as well, because it was generally agreed upon that the SNES version of MK2 was the best version.

DKC + Mortal Kombat 2 + DKC 2 + Yoshi's Island + Killer Instinct .... Nintendo really turned it up a couple of notches in fall '94 through Christmas 1995.

So the wheels were already starting to fall off even before the Saturn.

soundwave05 said:
Genesis had some momenteum, but it was a bit of fools gold.

They got battered by Donkey Kong Country and their popularity in '93/'94 was a bit inflated because of the Mortal Kombat blood issue.

When Nintendo gave the greenlight to Acclaim to put blood in Mortal Kombat 2 ... that was a pretty big blow to Sega as well, because it was generally agreed upon that the SNES version of MK2 was the best version.

DKC + Mortal Kombat 2 + DKC 2 + Yoshi's Island + Killer Instinct .... Nintendo really turned it up a couple of notches in fall '94 through Christmas 1995.

So the wheels were already starting to fall off even before the Saturn.

but...but...Vectorman!!

Top Bottom