• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Classic Sales-Age* MAY-1994_Gamers Come Back to Their Senses: SNES > GEN!

Square2005

Banned
Mar 10, 2005
1,293
0
0
34
Texas
Okay I've bin organizing my data so it's easier/faster to make these charts. I'm going to try and release them every other day.

MAY 1994:
U.S. Figures Only

Code:
1    GEN	NBA JAM ($55)			   Acclaim	              111,217 / 954,254	   
2    SNES	Super Metroid ($58)			   Nintendo		80,630 / 136,226	   
3    SNES	NBA JAM ($64)			   Acclaim		66,523 / 544,811	   
4    GEN	World Series Baseball ($55)		   Sega		65,788 / 196,671	   
5    SNES	Ken Griffey Jr. Presents MLB ($46)	   Nintendo		54,421 / 169,524	   
6    GEN	Sonic The Hedgehog 3 ($58)		   Sega		29,913 / 517,128	   
7    GEN	NBA Showdown 94 ($57)		   EA		25,031 / 112,989	   
8    GEN	Mortal Kombat ($54)			   Acclaim		22,209 	   
9    GEN	Aladdin ($50)			   Sega		17,154		   
10  GEN	NHL(PA) 94 ($55)			   EA		15,555 / 137,878	   
11  GEN	FIFA International Soccer ($56)		   EA	                15,474		   
12  GEN	NBA Action ($55)			   Sega		14,811 / 46,771	   
13  GEN	Caesar's Palace ($57)			   Viacom		14,583 / 20,595	   
14  SCD	Mortal Kombat CD ($50)		   Acclaim		14,130 / NEW	   
15  GEN	Ms. Pac-man ($21)			   Midway		13,449		   
16  GEN	Star Trek: The Next Generation ($56)	   Hasbro		12,312 / 40,316	   
17  SNES	Mortal Kombat ($61)			   Acclaim		11,417		   
18  GEN	Street Fighter II: Special Champion Ed ($52)   Capcom		11,299		   
19  SNES	Aladdin ($57)			   Capcom		11,107		   
20  SNES	Super Mario Kart ($47)		   Nintendo		10,709		   
21  SNES	MLB(PA) Baseball ($54)		   EA		10,171 / 31,373	   
22  GEN	R.B.I. Baseball '94 ($59)		   Midway		10,076 / 11,894	   
23  GEN	Tomcat Alley ($58)			   Sega		  9,755 / 28,822	   
24  GEN	Eternal Champions ($54)		   Sega		  9,194		   
25  SNES	Super Mario All-Stars ($55)		   Nintendo		  8,918		 
	

                Super NES ($114)		116,044
                Sega Genesis ($122)		112,888 
                NES ($49)			  17,424 
                3DO Multiplayer ($488)	    2,892 
                Atari Jaguar ($250)		    1,988
Bundled SW Separated:
SNES w/ SMK 58,167 $115
GEN w/ Sonic 2 57,020 $120
SNES w/ SMW 26,061 $126
SNES w/ ZIII 15,768 $105
SNES w/ SF 2,511 $123
SNES w/ MP 748 $135

And the HW Graph for the visual learners:

Or maybe it's just all those SNES bundles that Sega doesn't have.
But it's nice to see Nintendo back on top, at least HW-wise.

Last Month's TOP25 Chart (w/ links to previous months):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106783

Comments appreciated:)
 

kammy

Banned
Mar 6, 2005
1,213
0
0
Going by the sales for the MK and NBA games, Acclaim and Midway are onto a winner. Could they overtake Nintendo, Sega and EA as kings of the charts for life? I cant see it ending!
 

Snaku

Banned
Sep 15, 2005
25,785
0
0
ronito said:
wow, NBA Jam was such a monster. But it's not considered a classic now.
Pfft, it's still a classic to me. My cousin and my friends put endless hours into it.

REJECTED!!

IS IT THE SHOES!?
 

CajoleJuice

Member
Jul 6, 2004
26,469
1
0
somewhatmanlynerd.com
Snaku said:
Pfft, it's still a classic to me. My cousin and my friends put endless hours into it.

REJECTED!!

IS IT THE SHOES!?
When my friends and I are wasted, we still yell out lines like that. Especially playing beer pong.

PUTS UP A BRICK!

CANT BUY A BUCKET!
 

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Jul 26, 2004
28,052
6
0
Long Island, NY
Did you guys see the EGM where they show screens from that all new Sega system, the Saturn? I bet that most people are gonna hold off on their Genesis purchases, and pick the Saturn up when it comes out. They're gonna have a port of Virtua Fighter and some game where you're flying around on a dragon. They both look really good.
 

soul creator

Member
Mar 31, 2006
17,055
3
1,090
www.soulcreator.com
djtiesto said:
Did you guys see the EGM where they show screens from that all new Sega system, the Saturn? I bet that most people are gonna hold off on their Genesis purchases, and pick the Saturn up when it comes out. They're gonna have a port of Virtua Fighter and some game where you're flying around on a dragon. They both look really good.
actually the coolest thing is, if you don't want to fully upgrade to the Saturn, you can take your time and just add on a Sega CD and then the rumored 32X to your existing Genesis! This way, the Genesis userbase will be strong for another 3-4 years at least!
 

Ghengis Cohen

Banned
Aug 12, 2005
3,729
1
0
soul creator said:
actually the coolest thing is, if you don't want to fully upgrade to the Saturn, you can take your time and just add on a Sega CD and then the rumored 32X to your existing Genesis! This way, the Genesis userbase will be strong for another 3-4 years at least!
Sega's making all the right moves giving the consumer so many choices.
 

Square2005

Banned
Mar 10, 2005
1,293
0
0
34
Texas
soul creator said:
actually the coolest thing is, if you don't want to fully upgrade to the Saturn, you can take your time and just add on a Sega CD and then the rumored 32X to your existing Genesis! This way, the Genesis userbase will be strong for another 3-4 years at least!
Yeah when you already have a high userbase w/ your existing system just release
add-ons until your next gen system is ready :). So Sega's already ahead of the game w/ the Sega CD and the upcoming 32X. Plus project Saturn.
Now if only Nintendo had figured this out and released their SNES CD add-on, Play-Station.
Well I'm sure they'll still come up w/ something 3D-like to tide us over until Project Reality...
 

evilromero

Member
Jun 15, 2004
18,259
0
0
PuertoRicanJuice said:
When my friends and I are wasted, we still yell out lines like that. Especially playing beer pong.

PUTS UP A BRICK!

CANT BUY A BUCKET!
When we get wasted Sim City SNES seems to be the game of choice. Although NBA Jam (SNES) waits in the wings.
 

Square2005

Banned
Mar 10, 2005
1,293
0
0
34
Texas
cvxfreak said:
Wonder what caused SNES > Genesis.
Nintendo (being the pros that they are) were prepared for the post-Easter slowdown by releasing multiple bundles beginning in March...and Sega wasn't b/c they believed they were unstoppable w/ bloody MK, Sonic3, & NBA Jam. And has anyone noticed the slowdown in Genesis advertising lately? That's probably not helping either.
 

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Mar 19, 2005
2,317
0
0
Square2005 said:
Okay I've bin organizing my data so it's easier/faster to make these charts. I'm going to try and release them every other day.

MAY 1994:
U.S. Figures Only

Code:
1   GEN      NBA JAM ($55)	                                 Acclaim	111,217 / 954,254
2   SNES    Super Metroid ($58)	                                 Nintendo	  80,630 / 136,226
3   SNES    NBA JAM ($64)	                                 Acclaim	  66,523 / 544,811
4   GEN      World Series Baseball ($55)	                 Sega	  65,788 / 196,671
5   SNES    Ken Griffey Jr. Presents MLB ($46)               Nintendo	  54,421 / 169,524
6   GEN      Sonic The Hedgehog 3 ($58)	                 Sega	  29,913 / 517,128
7   GEN      NBA Showdown 94 ($57)	                 EA	  25,031 / 112,989
8   GEN      Mortal Kombat ($54)	                                 Acclaim	  22,209	
9   GEN      Aladdin ($50)	                                 Sega	  17,154	
10  GEN     NHL(PA) 94 ($55)	                                 EA	  15,555 / 137,878
11  GEN     FIFA International Soccer ($56)	                 EA	  15,474	
12  GEN     NBA Action ($55)	                                 Sega	  14,811 / 46,771
13  GEN     Caesar's Palace ($57)	                 Viacom	  14,583 / 20,595
14  SCD    Mortal Kombat CD ($50)	                 Acclaim	  14,130 / NEW
15  GEN     Ms. Pac-man ($21)	                                 Midway	  13,449	
16  GEN     Star Trek: The Next Generation ($56)	 Hasbro	  12,312 / 40,316
17  SNES   Mortal Kombat ($61)	                                 Acclaim	  11,417	
18  GEN	Street Fighter II: Special Champion Ed ($52) Capcom	  11,299	
19  SNES	Aladdin ($57)	                                 Capcom	  11,107	
20  SNES	Super Mario Kart ($47)	                 Nintendo	  10,709	
21  SNES	MLB(PA) Baseball ($54)	                 EA	  10,171 / 31,373
22  GEN	R.B.I. Baseball '94 ($59)	                 Midway	  10,076 / 11,894
23  GEN	Tomcat Alley ($58)	                                 Sega	    9,755 / 28,822
24  GEN	Eternal Champions ($54)	                 Sega	    9,194	
25  SNES	Super Mario All-Stars ($55)	                 Nintendo	    8,918	

                [B]Super NES ($113)	          116,044
                Sega Genesis ($122)	          112,888[/B]
                NES ($49)	                            17,424
                3DO Multiplayer ($488)             2,892
                Atari Jaguar ($250)	              1,988
Bundled SW Separated:
SNES w/ SMK 58,167 $115
GEN w/ Sonic 2 57,020 $120
SNES w/ SMW 26,061 $126
SNES w/ ZIII 15,768 $105
SNES w/ SF 2,511 $123
SNES w/ MP 748 $135

And the HW Graph for the visual learners:

Or maybe it's just all those SNES bundles that Sega doesn't have.
But it's nice to see Nintendo back on top, at least HW-wise.

Last Month's TOP25 Chart (w/ links to previous months):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106783
Now SNES is cheaper than Genesis?
 

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Mar 19, 2005
2,317
0
0
Total domination by Genesis.
In the top 15 games, there are only 3 SNES games and 1 Sega CD game.
I don't have any faith for the future of Nintendo.
 

Cheebs

Member
Mar 10, 2005
12,929
0
0
Michigan
kia said:
Total domination by Genesis.
In the top 15 games, there are only 3 SNES games and 1 Sega CD game.
I don't have any faith for the future of Nintendo.
Yet hardware sales are higher then Genesis. People must be buying it for uh multi-media functions and not games.
 

Frankfurter

Member
Jul 18, 2005
6,524
0
0
35
Square2005 said:
Nintendo (being the pros that they are) were prepared for the post-Easter slowdown by releasing multiple bundles beginning in March...and Sega wasn't b/c they believed they were unstoppable w/ bloody MK, Sonic3, & NBA Jam. And has anyone noticed the slowdown in Genesis advertising lately? That's probably not helping either.
Yeah, advertising definitely has to be one of the main problems. I mean, I haven't seen SEGA advertising the Genesis (we call it Mega Drive over here) for ... um years!!
^^
 

ManDudeChild

Member
Jun 9, 2004
5,818
1
0
Square2005 said:
Yeah when you already have a high userbase w/ your existing system just release
add-ons until your next gen system is ready :). So Sega's already ahead of the game w/ the Sega CD and the upcoming 32X. Plus project Saturn.
Now if only Nintendo had figured this out and released their SNES CD add-on, Play-Station.
Well I'm sure they'll still come up w/ something 3D-like to tide us over until Project Reality...
Let me tell you something, Sega's not getting welcomed to the next level. Cause Nintendo is going to release the SNES add-on, the Play-Station will be real. Why I bet it will be so successful that there will be another generation of Play-Station ... maybe even a third after that. And let me tell you something, by the third generation of Nintendo's add on, i'm sure it will totally knock the fat .... out of bad gaming.
 

Square2005

Banned
Mar 10, 2005
1,293
0
0
34
Texas
Cheebs said:
Yet hardware sales are higher then Genesis. People must be buying it for uh multi-media functions and not games.
SW sales are lower for SNES b/c most SNESes sold now already come w/ Games:
Bundled SW Separated:
SNES w/ SMK 58,167 $115
SNES w/ SMW 26,061 $126
SNES w/ ZIII 15,768 $105
SNES w/ SF 2,511 $123
SNES w/ MP 748 $135
 

Lapsed

Banned
May 14, 2006
655
0
0
I hear Nintendo is turning Donkey Kong into some type of jumping platform game. LOL, doesn't Nintendo ever learn? Big giant apes do not sell. Too kiddy. This game will bomb at Christmas.

Final Fantasy 3 has just been released. I played through it and its crap. The game is just long and boring, nothing as exciting as our most excellent Genesis sports games! Years from now we will still be playing our excellent Genesis sports games while Final Fantasy 3 will be completely forgotten. After all, it is the sequel to our Genesis sports games that will turn the tide of the next console war, not a sequel to the awful Final Fantasy 3.

Anyone hear about the latest rumors of Project Mars? It is supposed to be a hardware expansion for the Genesis! OMGWTFBBQ, the SNES is doomed! Project Mars will be unvieled in September. Oh boy, I can't wait! 32x expansion with macho games will destroy the SNES and their girly rpg games!

Behold, I have uncovered the hidden pictures:

http://www.eidolons-inn.net/segabase/G-32XPromoAd1.jpg

http://www.eidolons-inn.net/segabase/G-32XPromoAd2.jpg
 

Square2005

Banned
Mar 10, 2005
1,293
0
0
34
Texas

What's Sega thinking!?
With ads like this I don't see parents buying this for their children at Christmas...
I thought the 32X was to be aimed at younger siblings who won't be able to afford project Saturn? I don't know, I think Sega may be making a mistake w/ this 32X... but they've always bin right in the past:D.
What do you guys think?
 

CountZeroInt

Banned
Dec 27, 2005
778
0
0
Redmond, WA
In the rose colored reality-distorting goggles of RPG fanboys the single handed win of 16-bit generation is often attributed to Square and Final Fantasy 2 and 3, but nothing could be further from the truth.

Look at how many sports and 'western' games are listed here. The US has always been dominated by games like these, and always will be. It just happens that 20-30 year olds are easily swayed into buying a certain console based on the opinions of freckly 13 year olds.

1 GEN NBA JAM ($55) Acclaim 111,217 / 954,254
3 SNES NBA JAM ($64) Acclaim 66,523 / 544,811
4 GEN World Series Baseball ($55) Sega 65,788 / 196,671
5 SNES Ken Griffey Jr. Presents MLB ($46) Nintendo 54,421 / 169,524
7 GEN NBA Showdown 94 ($57) EA 25,031 / 112,989
9 GEN Aladdin ($50) Sega 17,154
10 GEN NHL(PA) 94 ($55) EA 15,555 / 137,878
11 GEN FIFA International Soccer ($56) EA 15,474
12 GEN NBA Action ($55) Sega 14,811 / 46,771
13 GEN Caesar's Palace ($57) Viacom 14,583 / 20,595
14 SCD Mortal Kombat CD ($50) Acclaim 14,130 / NEW
15 GEN Ms. Pac-man ($21) Midway 13,449
16 GEN Star Trek: The Next Generation ($56) Hasbro 12,312 / 40,316
17 SNES Mortal Kombat ($61) Acclaim 11,417
19 SNES Aladdin ($57) Capcom 11,107
21 SNES MLB(PA) Baseball ($54) EA 10,171 / 31,373
22 GEN R.B.I. Baseball '94 ($59) Midway 10,076 / 11,894
24 GEN Eternal Champions ($54) Sega 9,194
 

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Jul 26, 2004
28,052
6
0
Long Island, NY
CountZeroInt said:
In the rose colored reality-distorting goggles of RPG fanboys the single handed win of 16-bit generation is often attributed to Square and Final Fantasy 2 and 3, but nothing could be further from the truth.

Look at how many sports and 'western' games are listed here. The US has always been dominated by games like these, and always will be. It just happens that 20-30 year olds are easily swayed into buying a certain console based on the opinions of freckly 13 year olds.

1 GEN NBA JAM ($55) Acclaim 111,217 / 954,254
3 SNES NBA JAM ($64) Acclaim 66,523 / 544,811
4 GEN World Series Baseball ($55) Sega 65,788 / 196,671
5 SNES Ken Griffey Jr. Presents MLB ($46) Nintendo 54,421 / 169,524
7 GEN NBA Showdown 94 ($57) EA 25,031 / 112,989
9 GEN Aladdin ($50) Sega 17,154
10 GEN NHL(PA) 94 ($55) EA 15,555 / 137,878
11 GEN FIFA International Soccer ($56) EA 15,474
12 GEN NBA Action ($55) Sega 14,811 / 46,771
13 GEN Caesar's Palace ($57) Viacom 14,583 / 20,595
14 SCD Mortal Kombat CD ($50) Acclaim 14,130 / NEW
15 GEN Ms. Pac-man ($21) Midway 13,449
16 GEN Star Trek: The Next Generation ($56) Hasbro 12,312 / 40,316
17 SNES Mortal Kombat ($61) Acclaim 11,417
19 SNES Aladdin ($57) Capcom 11,107
21 SNES MLB(PA) Baseball ($54) EA 10,171 / 31,373
22 GEN R.B.I. Baseball '94 ($59) Midway 10,076 / 11,894
24 GEN Eternal Champions ($54) Sega 9,194
But what games do you think will hold up in, let's say... 12 years time? Final Fantasy 2 and 3 (I played the Japanese version, it's FANTASTIC. It's number 6 there, we basically got screwed out of some of the FF releases), or NBA Shwdown 94, Mortal Kombat CD (which features such heavy load times) and Caesar's Palace?
 

Square2005

Banned
Mar 10, 2005
1,293
0
0
34
Texas
CountZeroInt said:
In the rose colored reality-distorting goggles of RPG fanboys the single handed win of 16-bit generation is often attributed to Square and Final Fantasy 2 and 3, but nothing could be further from the truth.

Look at how many sports and 'western' games are listed here. The US has always been dominated by games like these, and always will be. It just happens that 20-30 year olds are easily swayed into buying a certain console based on the opinions of freckly 13 year olds.
Exactly!!!:) This is one reason I'm posting these is so you guys can rediscover the 'Golden-Age' of 16-Bit history for yourselves and not read re-written history from the mainstream gaming press! These charts tell you what we were playing back then whether you like it or not...
1994 was not the year of FFIII and other SNES RPGs but more the year of Genesis sports games :lol!

Anymore thoughts, like the one from CountZeroInt, on rediscovering the past...
 

spetz

Member
Jun 16, 2006
211
0
0
Texas
Razoric said:
3DO is just too expensive. I hope no one is dumb enough to price a system over $500 again.

:p
Well based off how little it seems the 3DO is selling, I couldn't imagine a console being successful with that kind of a price tag. People just cannot afford this! Besides my Genesis is still doing great and I love it, no need for anything else.
 

Square2005

Banned
Mar 10, 2005
1,293
0
0
34
Texas
spetz said:
Well based off how little it seems the 3DO is selling, I couldn't imagine a console being successful with that kind of a price tag. People just cannot afford this! Besides my Genesis is still doing great and I love it, no need for anything else.
Would you consider buying a 32X? It'll be much cheaper than the next-gen Sega console.
 

donny2112

Member
Apr 18, 2005
18,797
0
0
Nintendo Power May 1994

Cover (from soul creator in the March thread)



12-pages of Super Metroid coverage (including back-story from Metroid II)

This month's "Sports Scene" sub-magazine covers:
* Barkley Shut Up And Jam! (w/ 4-player support)
* Bill Walsh College Football
* MLBPA Baseball (they got the players, but Ken Griffey's got the teams :p )
* Hardball III
* Super Bases Loaded
* ESPN Baseball Tonight
* Suzuka 8 hours (
* Natsume Championship Wrestling
* Champions World Class Soccer
* Super Goal! 2
* Jeopardy! Sports Edition

Nintendo Power Awards '93 Winners
SNES/GB/NES
* Best Graphics: Star Fox/Link's Awakening/Mega Man V
* Theme and Fun: Secret of Mana/Link's Awakening/Mega Man V
* Challenge: Star Fox/Link's Awakening/Mega Man V (I sense a pattern here ...)
* Play Control: Street Fighter II Turbo/Link's Awakening/Mega Man V
* Best Hero: Kirby
* Best Villain: Goro
* Most Innovative: The Lost Vikings
* Best Sports Game: Tecmo Super NBA
* Best Overall: Mortal Kombat (Upset! Star Fox not even in the top 3!)/Link's Awakening/R.C. Pro Am II (Mega Man V not even in the top 3! :eek: )

Super Metroid Comic

Crystalis walk-through from last month's end to the end of the game

"A Game Boy Revolution" 4-page special on the Super Game Boy

Super Metroid 4.4/5

Another brief update on "Project Reality" focusing on developers signed on to make games

Square2005,
I figure that discussions will pick up come the fall when Donkey Kong Country and the normal sales spike comes along. I know I'm looking forward to it. :D
 

Jonk

Member
Jun 13, 2004
383
0
0
How can someone find out the NPD final sales numbers for another SNES game. One originally released in 1995???