• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Classic Sales-Age* SEPT-1994: TOP40 & HW - Mortal Kombat II = 783,000!! (SNES > GEN)

In case yall didn't read from my last post in the previous sales thread, I'm only posting September this week. From Sept thru Dec I'm posting only one month b/c these are the biggest months in terms of sales and new releases. The rest of the year it'll be two months at a time...

September 1994:
U.S. Figures Only

Code:
1   SNES	Mortal Kombat II			$67	Acclaim	   398,659 / NEW
2   GEN	Mortal Kombat II			$63	Acclaim	   384,191 / NEW
3   GEN	NHL 95				$62	EA	     72,584	/ NEW
4   GEN	Bill Walsh College Football		$62	EA	     55,454	
5   GEN	College Football's Nat'l Championship	$59	Sega	     36,923 / NEW
6   GEN	Spider-Man & Venom: Max Carnage	$58	Acclaim	     30,564 / NEW
7   SNES	Tetris 2				$48	Nintendo	     30,543 / 43,506
8   GEN	NBA JAM				$55	Acclaim	     27,928 / 1,150,247
9   SNES	Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers	                $70	Bandai	     25,039 / NEW
10  SNES	Spider-Man & Venom: Max Carnage	$68	Acclaim	     22,854 / NEW
11  SNES	Super Street Fighter II		$67	Capcom	     21,763 / 203,803
12  GEN	John Madden NFL 94		                $31	EA	     21,447	
13  GEN	Ms. Pac-man			$21	Midway	     19,296	
14  GEN	Mortal Kombat			$46	Acclaim	     17,157	
15  SNES	NBA JAM				$62	Acclaim	     16,901 / 675,551
16  SNES	Ken Griffey Jr. Presents MLB		$47	Nintendo	     16,701 / 307,268
17  SNES	Illusion of Gaia			$70	Nintendo	     16,490 / NEW
18  GEN	Super Street Fighter II		$68	Capcom	     16,320 / 114,699
19  SNES	Stunt Racer FX			$58	Nintendo	     13,971 / 65,380
20  GEN	The Jungle Book			$63	Viacom	     13,557 / 29,601
21  GEN	Sonic The Hedgehog 3		$58	Sega	     12,989 / 585,530
22  SNES	The Jungle Book			$63	Viacom	     12,962 / 28,122
23  GEN	Batman Returns			$20	Sega	     12,904	
24  GEN	World Series Baseball		                $56	Sega	     12,627 / 336,707
25  SNES	Super Mario Kart			$49	Nintendo	     11,995	
26  GEN	Aladdin				$50	Sega	     11,995	
27  SNES	Breath of Fire			$67	Square	     11,808 / 34,909
28  GEN	Taz: Escape From Mars		$55	Sega	     11,761 / 13,209
29  GEN	NHL(PA) 94			$31	EA	     11,725 / 215,013
30  SNES	Super Metroid			$58	Nintendo	     10,834 / 256,262
31  SNES	Aladdin				$51	Capcom	     10,696	
32  SNES	Mortal Kombat			$47	Acclaim	     10,361	
33  SNES	Mario Paint			                $56	Nintendo	       9,744	
34  SNES	Secret of Mana			$68	Square	       9,285	
35  SNES	Star Fox				$31	Nintendo	       8,953	
36  SNES	Super Mario All-Stars		                $54	Nintendo	       8,951	
37  GEN	Evander Holyfield's 'Real Deal' Boxing	$20	Sega	       8,811	
38  GEN	FIFA International Soccer		$50	EA	       8,658	
39  GEN	The Incredible Hulk			$60	Eidos	       7,971	/ 21,776
40  GEN	Mario Andretti Racing		                $56	EA	       7,960	/ 39,208

Super NES	 	                $112 	184,099 / 10.23m? 
		Sega Genesis	 	$120 	160,642 / 12.41m?
		NES	 	 	$60 	25,525   / 26.92m?
		3DO Multiplayer	 	$397 	6,545     / 34k?
		Atari Jaguar	 	$250 	1,017     / 35k?
The SNES MK2 outsells Genny's version! And another SNES RPG appears, there are now three on the charts, despite their high prices,...must be in anticipation for FFIII next month!

1994rivalrylinesept4wy.png

Thanks to a better port of MK2 than Genesis and blood in this version the SNES continues it's slight lead above the Genesis going into the critical fourth season. Will SNES outsell Genesis this Christmas Season? (The Genesis has outsold it every previous X-mas).

Link to last thread w/ all TOP40s this year:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107477

Bundled HW:
SNES w/ All-Star & SMW - 37,428
SNES w/ ZIII - 62,503
SNES w/ SMW - 16,542
SNES w/ SMK - 31,405
SNES w/ MP - 22,169
SNES w/ SF - 1,136
GEN w/ Sonic2 - 102,509
GEN w/ Spinball - 223

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
WTF @ Illusion of Gaia, Secret of Mana, and Super Metroid numbers. People always had bad tastes it seems.

So wait, I thought Super Metroid was a big seller in the US? I remember Nintendo even put the "Million Seller" sticker on it. Was it because of Japan because these US sales are disappointing!

Nintendo would be better off just not making anymore Metroid games for the US, they can't even break 500,000!

Meier

I was one of the owners of College Football's National Championship although I couldnt begin to guess if it was in September or not.

donny2112

I'll post September 1994 Nintendo Power stuff in a few hours.

Are the low sales for SNES RPGs the reason they cost so much to buy now?

This is basically the beginning of the end for Sega.

Once that Mortal Kombat blood trumpcard was taken away from them, Nintendo just unleashed the DKC uppercut, and then Sega shot themselves in the foot with the 32X.

ioi

Banned
Nice chart, is this the first time we've seen starfox?

Why the massive jumps for some of the bundles (MP, ZIII)?

And how much more is the Sonic 2 bundle gonna sell?!?!?!

donny2112

Nintendo Power September 1994

Sept1994NPCover.jpg

10 pages on Mortal Kombat II (Blood is here this time :) )

6 pages on the upcoming Nintendo Ultra 64 game Killer Instinct
* in arcades later this year
* in homes on the Ultra 64 in late 1995

DK_combined.jpg

8-pages on Vortex (Super FX chip game)
* Mech combat
* Mech transforms into a Sonic Jet, Hard Shell (tank?), and Land Burner (race car)
* Graphics look just like Star Fox :)

The Making of Donkey Kong Country
* On the need to use SGI workstations
Nintendo Power said:
Using traditional digitizing techniques would have required a real gorilla who could be trained to grimace on command, perform somersaults or give high-fives - a daunting and expensive task, not to mention the smell, mess and vast banana budget.
:lol
Nintendo Power said:
In the summer of 1993, Tony Harman, Product Acquisitions and Development Manager at NOA, was visiting Rare during one of his globe-spanning journeys to find the best games in development. He saw a simple project in the works showing a boxer with about ten frames of animation that utilized compter modeling techniques. He realized that the Stampers were on to something revolutionary whe Rare was able to convert that boxer to the Super NES, but to make the dream come alive Rare needed help. When Tony returned to the U.S., he championed the cause and with the backing of Mr. Takeda and Mr. Miyamoto of Nintendo in Japan obtained the go-ahead to allocate funds to apply the new technique to a Nintendo game. It was decided to return to Nintendo's roots by using Donkey Kong as the hero because he had less background than other Nitnendo characters, and that meant that Rare could have greater freedom in creating a new DK world. Mr. Miyamoto, Nintendo's ace game creator, designed a modernized DK and Tim Stamper put him into the SGI system.
With how much Ken Lobb is associated with RARE, I was surprised to find that Tony Harman was the one who recognized Rare's talent to bring them Donkey Kong Country. I also didn't realize that the new Donkey Kong model was originally made by Mr. Miyamoto for RARE to use.
Nintendo Power said:
The legion of Kremlings ... had been created for another game in development, but they turned out to be perfect for DK.
As of August, Tim Stamper estimated that the development team had logged 18 man-years of effort, probably the most time ever spent on a single game.
Next month will have the first in-depth preview of the game play and stages of "this 800 pound masterpiece." :)

Secret of Mana Special - The Days of Mana, Final Episode
* Walkthrough to the end of the game.
* Writeups on helmets, armor, rings, arm guards, and magic spells

Reviews
Mortal Kombat II - 3.6/5.0
Vortex - 3.6/5.0

Previous Months
August 1994 Nintendo Power
July 1994 Nintendo Power
June 1994 Nintendo Power
May 1994 Nintendo Power
April 1994 Nintendo Power
March 1994 Nintendo Power

Ashodin

The legion of Kremlings ... had been created for another game in development, but they turned out to be perfect for DK.
As of August, Tim Stamper estimated that the development team had logged 18 man-years of effort, probably the most time ever spent on a single game.

Does Duke Nukem Forever now take that title?? lol

GitarooMan said:
Illusion of Gaia not really making a dent, it's a really good game though, more people should try it out.

Don't judge the success of a title on its first month sales, wait til the second month.

IoG is developed by Enix, right? What kind of RPG is it? What's the background story? I've never heard much about it but I'm interested in knowing more...Is it anything like DraQue? I'd like to play it.

AniHawk

Square2005 said:
Don't judge the success of a title on its first month sales, wait til the second month.

IoG is developed by Enix, right? What kind of RPG is it? What's the background story? I've never heard much about it but I'm interested in knowing more...Is it anything like DraQue? I'd like to play it.

It's kinda like Soul Blazer. I hear it's actually a sequel of sorts. And there's a new one that they're planning. It looks awesome.

ioi said:
1. Why the massive jumps for some of the bundles (MP, ZIII)?

2. And how much more is the Sonic 2 bundle gonna sell?!?!?!

1. I don't know; there haven't bin any price drops. They're probably just becoming more widely available thru-out the country. The Zelda III bundle is selling slightly below $100 now (the only bundle below $100) and Nintendo didn't advertise these bundles so they are slowly catching on.
2. About 1.5m more

LanceStern said:
So wait, I thought Super Metroid was a big seller in the US? I remember Nintendo even put the "Million Seller" sticker on it. Was it because of Japan because these US sales are disappointing!

Nintendo would be better off just not making anymore Metroid games for the US, they can't even break 500,000!

I don't ever remember it becoming a player's choice... can you find a picture of it if it was.

Square2005 said:
I don't ever remember it becoming a player's choice... can you find a picture of it if it was.

I seem to remember it being one and Wikipedia seems to confirm (look up player's choice list), I don't remember whether it said million seller or whatever.

donny2112

Does anyone know when the Player's Choice line started? Are Player's Choice games pointed out on your reports, Square2005?

shuri said:
mk2 snes got 3.6/5 in nintendo powers?

Super Metroid got a 4.4/5, but I don't believe I've seen anything higher for 1994, so far.

Lapsed

Banned
LanceStern said:

Japan was the reason the game actually sold if ioi's numbers are accurate:

Super Metroid SNES Nintendo
(Japan) 0.78
(America) 0.47
(Other) 0.17
(Total) 1.42

With the disapointing sales of Super Metroid, it looks like the franchise will be canned. Perhaps, one day in the future, Metroid will be reborn as a glorious 3d game using the technology of the future! Then, Metroid will sell big in America and will mark a Metroid renaissance!

Seriously: this sales chart ought to prove that most hardcore Metroid fans were disapointed with the adventure happy Super Metroid.

donny2112

Lapsed said:
Seriously: this sales chart ought to prove that most hardcore Metroid fans were disapointed with the adventure happy Super Metroid.

The sales chart may say that, but for me, it's the best Metroid game and one of my favorite games of all-time. :)

donny2112 said:
The sales chart may say that, but for me, it's the best Metroid game and one of my favorite games of all-time. :)

Metroid Prime > Super Metroid IMO.

Then again, Prime is my all time favourite game so I say Metroid Prime > All.

Guys I have LTD Super Metroid sales at 600k (& 18k for the SNES bundle): Those are really good sales for the time. It's about what Metroid Prime 2 has sold... Remember the industry was (my estimate) $3.2b in 1994, it's $11b today: a three-fold increase. Also consider only b/w 5-6 games were sold for every SNES in America w/ch includes all the bundled games.

BTW my data doesn't mention anything about Player's Choice.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Lapsed said:
Japan was the reason the game actually sold if ioi's numbers are accurate:

Super Metroid SNES Nintendo
(Japan) 0.78
(America) 0.47
(Other) 0.17
(Total) 1.42
[/spoiler]

Prime didn't do that much better, according to ioi's numbers

(Japan) 0.1
(America) 1.4 (1.92 shipped)
(Other)0.7 (shipped, no numbers for sold)

~2 mil in a much larger game market isn't exactly setting the world on fire. Metroid was shelved for almost a decade not because Super Metroid sold poorly, but because they couldn't find a way to incorporate it into a 3D game in the n64 era.

BorkBork said:
... Metroid was shelved for almost a decade not because Super Metroid sold poorly, but because they couldn't find a way to incorporate it into a 3D game in the n64 era.

Plus Gunpei Yokoi (Metroid creator) was run over by Mr. Yamauchi for leaving Nintendo for Sony.

Leondexter said:
I don't remember the "Sony" part of that little theory. What's the deal?

I don't know why Mr. Yokoi (creator of Metroid, the Game Boy & Virtual Boy) left Nintendo for Sony but it angered Lord Yamauchi so he had someone follow him on the highway and crash into his car. Then Lord Yamauchi came flyin' by in his half-a-million dollar Bentley and finished him off by running him over as he got out of his car to inspect the situation. The Emperor also wanted revenge for all the money he lost over the failure of the Virtual Boy.
I think that's the gist of it.
Can anyone else elaborate on the story?

Cheebs

Square2005 said:
I don't know why Mr. Yokoi (creator of Metroid, the Game Boy & Virtual Boy) left Nintendo for Sony but it angered Lord Yamauchi so he had someone follow him on the highway and crash into his car. Then Lord Yamauchi came flyin' by in his half-a-million dollar Bentley and finished him off by running him over as he got out of his car to inspect the situation. The Emperor also wanted revenge for all the money he lost over the failure of the Virtual Boy.
I think that's the gist of it.
Can anyone else elaborate on the story?
Sony? He went to Bandai and created the Wonderswan.

Jonk

TIm curious where you get these numbers. Is it possible to see the sales of June 95 to the end of the year of 95 or to see the final sales number of a specific SNES game???

Please, this is very important. :)

Jonk said:
TIm curious where you get these numbers. Is it possible to see the sales of June 95 to the end of the year of 95 or to see the final sales number of a specific SNES game???

Please, this is very important. :)

Maybe...what game?
I plan on posting 1995 and forward when I finish with '94.

loosus

Banned
I used to love Illusion of Gaia. It seemed like the early 1990s had a lot of Link to the Past type games that I enjoyed.

Jonk

Im doing a research presentation on EarthBound and I was concerned on the sales of the game over a year from its original release in June 1995 and the final sales number of the game.

Jonk said:
Im doing a research presentation on EarthBound and I was concerned on the sales of the game over a year from its original release in June 1995 and the final sales number of the game.

Nobody look unless you wanna be spoiled :D:
June/95- May/96: 77,642
LTD: 139,654

Both figures adjusted.

jarrod

Banned
loosus said:
I used to love Illusion of Gaia. It seemed like the early 1990s had a lot of Link to the Past type games that I enjoyed.
It was the renaissance for Japanese ARPGs... that sort of died in the 32bit gen sadly. These days it's basically only Nintendo, Square Enix and Falcom (barely) keeping the genre alive. :(

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
arussell said:
why no august 94' numbers?
That's a good question but I think we'll have to wait a while because he got banned for bumping a two year old thread. :lol

Top Bottom