• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clean the space between your CPU fan and heatsink

kamspy

My Dragon Age Inquisition temps were at 90c with a box fan where the side panel use to be.

After blowing out what appeared to be no less than 80 grams of very dark hash.

Now I'm rolling 52c. Stock cooling. Side panel attached. Box fan put up for the winter. Now to go slay those who oppose my Inquisition.

hoserx

My Dragon Age Inquisition temps were at 90c with a box fan where the side panel use to be.

Now I'm rolling 52c. Stock cooling. Side panel attached. Box fan put up for the winter. Now to go slay those who oppose my Inquisition.

so THAT'S where my hash went......... You can just drop it in the post for me. Thanks.

sounds like you didn't have the heatsinked flesh with your CPU which allows dust buildup in the middle.

I've seen this before but only in those circumstances.

kamspy

Wouldn't this remove some of the thermal paste?

1. I repasted. Took the whole cooler off.

2. I can post photos of dozens of qtips in my trash that look like they've been used to clean a bong.

sounds like you didn't have the heatsinked flesh with your CPU which allows dust buildup in the middle.

I've seen this before but only in those circumstances.

Or I cleaned it for the first time since the AMD 1100t launched. And I smoke a lot in the same room.

Sir TapTap

Why was there marijuana your computer?

But yeah, clean your damn PC every once in a while. A case with intake filters helps a lot too. My CPU would be full of cat hair if I didn't have them.

ghibli99

Good to dust out PC cases and consoles on a regular basis, period. Just be careful with the fans. Also, this was one of the best purchases I ever made. Also good to use after haircuts... just keep it away from your ears. LOL

Flappy

Banned
Here are some photos to make people cringe:

dirty_computer.jpg

Ramza

Banned
Here are some photos to make people cringe:

At least it's just dust. The inside of a smoker's PC is the worst thing I've ever seen. The components manage to grow some sort of brown, tobacco stained fur. It's quite nausea inducing.

Or I cleaned it for the first time since the AMD 1100t launched. And I smoke a lot in the same room.
Ah, there you have it.

kamspy

The less frequent throttling is like getting a new CPU.

I know I'm not the only one with a heatsink like this, and it's you guys who this thread is for. Clean that shit! I know it's not fun and it might not power back up, but move did first try! (Been building PCs for a decade. Still stoked when this happens).

kamspy

That's why you don't smoke near the computer.

I'll take 6 months off the life of my parts to enjoy a good smoke while I hunker down for a wavy crpg session.

We can't live in q bubble bro. If you can eat a 400mg edible and play the best parts of the CoD:AW story, 60" screen, great speakers, and not consider it a religious experience, then you're missing out man.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Anyone else actually smell dust whenever people post those pics of dusty pc insides?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'll take 6 months off the life of my parts to enjoy a good smoke while I hunker down for a wavy crpg session.

We can't live in q bubble bro. If you can eat a 400mg edible and play the best parts of the CoD:AW story, 60" screen, great speakers, and not consider it a religious experience, then you're missing out man.

But... edibles won't gunk up your PC?

khaaan

Installing the heatsink on my computer (Cooler Master 212 Evo) was a massive pain and probably THE most frustrating thing when it came to building my PC. The only way I'm ever going to remove it is if the PC is running like its on its last legs.

ghibli99

^^^ IIRC, the backplate screws required me to remove the MB from the case, which meant unhooking almost everything. Not fun, but glad I did it too.
NOPE NOPE NOPE, how in the hell can someone let their computer get that dirty, I clean mine out every 2 weeks.
Most people aren't that diligent. I clean mine out every few months. It's worth it, but kind of a pain to unhook everything and lug it outside. Case is a damned monster.

Scythe Yasya was a bitch installing into my computer. Thankfully its good enough that my temps are still fine although the shitty Slipstream fan broke. Again. Not installing a 3rd one.

^^^ IIRC, the backplate screws required me to remove the MB from the case, which meant unhooking almost everything. Not fun, but glad I did it too.

Most people aren't that diligent. I clean mine out every few months. It's worth it, but kind of a pain to unhook everything and lug it outside. Case is a damned monster.
Yeh I know, it was just my initial reaction to the pics, a part of me was screaming.

Persona7

Banned
i need to get some more of those air cans

i once saw these people on youtube use some sort of air device with a hose

npa189

Every time I open my case I'm amazed how clean it is, cooler master put filters on all the intakes, clean a a whistle two years after I built it.

Every time I open my case I'm amazed how clean it is, cooler master put filters on all the intakes, clean a a whistle two years after I built it.
Same here. I'm very lazy about dusting my PC, which isn't good, but despite the vents and filters being covered with dust the inside of PC is very clean.

Those filters do a great job. I usually only have to clean the filters/fans and do some minor dusting in the PC itself.

Top Bottom