• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clean the space between your CPU fan and heatsink

Krejlooc

Banned
At least it's just dust. The inside of a smoker's PC is the worst thing I've ever seen. The components manage to grow some sort of brown, tobacco stained fur. It's quite nausea inducing.

I quit smoking 2 years ago, but even when I did smoke cigarettes, I would have never ever smoked inside my house. I can't understand how people could do that. Cigarette smoke is so thick and smells so strong.

inherendo

^^^ IIRC, the backplate screws required me to remove the MB from the case, which meant unhooking almost everything. Not fun, but glad I did it too.

Most people aren't that diligent. I clean mine out every few months. It's worth it, but kind of a pain to unhook everything and lug it outside. Case is a damned monster.

Most not really cheap cases from the past few years started cutting out a section behind the mobo, so this isn't a problem.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
You'd need a flame thrower for this one:

Since+you+re+already+familiar+with+the+web+i+should+introduce+_8a6e96e8ba284cf83bc875606d3ffcfe.jpg

That is terrifying...

Durante

PSA part 2:
Set up your case fans so that you have positive air pressure inside the case and filters on every intake fan, then you never need to worry about something like this again.

Flappy

Banned
It makes you wonder what the inside of your old consoles look like. I don't think any consoles have had dust filters.

Krejlooc

Banned
PSA part 2:
Set up your case fans so that you have positive air pressure inside the case and filters on every intake fan, then you never need to worry about something like this again.

PSA part 3: if you do need to clean a mess like this, use a small air vacuum, not air duster. Air duster just moves the dust around, a vacuum will remove it.

Durante

Can you explain how to do this? I am dumb.
It's pretty simple, you just need more airflow into the case than out of it. For example, have 2 120mm fans blowing in and 1 out. And then, for each intake fan, use a dust filter (most good cases come with those these days).

The idea is that the only air going into your case should be going through the intake fans, and thus through the filters.

It's pretty simple, you just need more airflow into the case than out of it. For example, have 2 120mm fans blowing in and 1 out. And then, for each intake fan, use a dust filter (most good cases come with those these days).

The idea is that the only air going into your case should be going through the intake fans, and thus through the filters.

Thanks! I actually just bought a 4 pack of 120mm fans. Need some filters and then I'll hopefully be set.

PSA part 2:

Hey Durante,
Can you buy filters separately for 120 or 240 mm fans?

I would hate to have to buy filter/fan kits and replace the perfectly working fans in my case.

Just cleaned out mine and I thought it was pretty bad... thanks for all these shit pics GAF, you have made me feel better about my life.

Well no shit you should clean it. I routinely clean my whole system like every month or two to avoid that. Then again I'm really OCD about it haha the pics here make my skin crawl

Also I installed a liquid cooler to avoid that stuff even further as well as better temps

Vestal

Gold Member
Reminds me I need to clean up mine again.

I have 2 cats and a dog so every 3-6 months I need to crack it open and do some cleaning. I can tell when its time, whenever the fans go constant at a high rate through the day.

bj00rn_

Banned
Obligatory GIF:

original-8wHGogr.gif

I read the story behind this. The guy has a skin condition and sheds so much dry skin that there's like a constant cloud of particulate matter hovering in his his apartment. This gif is just after one week of collecting dust.

Derpcrawler

I read the story behind this. The guy has a skin condition and sheds so much dry skin that there's like a constant cloud of particulate matter hovering in his his apartment. This gif is just after one week of collecting dust.

Source? I would like to read about it.

How is he still alive?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
PSA part 3: if you do need to clean a mess like this, use a small air vacuum, not air duster. Air duster just moves the dust around, a vacuum will remove it.

I think I remember reading that this can cause static and as a result, totally kill some components.

Anyone else have information on this?

http://imgur.com/a/u1Ti7

I'm tempted to build a case like this. Such a cool idea.

That is really cool.

Wait.. hold on what??? you have 80 grams of black hash in your pc? lol?? why hide your drug in the pc?

Are you using hashish as thermal paste? lmao

brau

good reminder to go check and clean my pc. Been putting it off now for a few weeks. I tend to clean it out every 3 months.

Top Bottom