• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clear evidence of metacritic platform favoritism. Same game, different scores for each platform🙃

kingfey

Banned
But what if the game is completely pants and it's Xbox users who are being done a solid here?

(no, I haven't played it)
I will still judge it. Doesn't matter which platform it belongs to.

There are other consequences that stems from this situation. Low sales, low players.

ethomaz

Banned
Gamerankings 4 Life.
I did not like it because it lacked a useful summary and the interface was not of my liking.

So for me it was never useful and it never helped me to buy a game… that is the whole point that I find Metacritic useful.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
My personal guide on what to do before you thinking about buying a game:
1) Overall critic reviews from Metacritic, focus on the negative ones, then go for the positive ones.
2) Reviews from gaming channels on youtube.
3) Watch Gameplay videos and previews.
4) Understand what is the game about.

Avoid user reviews especially on Metacritic.

Last edited:

DeepSpace5D

It would only be clear evidence if it were the same reviewers giving different scores on different platforms. Since every reviewer across those platforms is a separate entity, I’d say this is only proof that people have different opinions.

bender

What time is it?
I did not like it because it lacked a useful summary and the interface was not of my liking.

So for me it was never useful and it never helped me to buy a game… that is the whole point that I find Metacritic useful.

I just used it for quick links to read reviews. I like the outdated UI. /old man yelling at clouds

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
BTW games vastly diverse in quality across platforms… so not separating it feel really weird.

Name 10 notable games in the last year or even 2 years that have had vastly diverse quality between Xbox and Playstation.

I can understand Switch ports which i why I mentioned if IF there is a vast difference list it seperately.

Bartski

Gold Member
not sure if the OP makes any sense 'cause this dark grey font makes it too much of a pain in the ass to read on Modern Dark

3rd party games are not the best example why metacritic sucks. Besides converting 5/5, 10/10 and 20/20 systems into a 100/100 system it's more the exclusives that are rated too high in my opinion, especially Sony and Nintendo. Metacritic is full of reviewers named PSX Extreme, DualShockers, PlayStation LifeStyle, LaPS4, PlayStation Universe, Playstation Official Magazine UK, PlayStation Country and so on plus many revierwers are in the perfect age to have grown up with a PlayStation or a Nintendo console.

kingfey

Banned
3rd party games are not the best example why metacritic sucks. Besides converting 5/5, 10/10 and 20/20 systems into a 100/100 system it's more the exclusives that are rated too high in my opinion, especially Sony and Nintendo. Metacritic is full of reviewers named PSX Extreme, DualShockers, PlayStation LifeStyle, LaPS4, PlayStation Universe, Playstation Official Magazine UK, PlayStation Country and so on plus many revierwers are in the perfect age to have grown up with a PlayStation or a Nintendo console.
1st party games are whole lot of mess territory.

You have games that reviewers like them, so they will rate them high. Then there is the LOU2. If a reviewer was a fan of the 1st game, and didn't like the current game. That person would give it a lower score than what it deserved.

ethomaz

Banned
Name 10 notable games in the last year or even 2 years that have had vastly diverse quality between Xbox and Playstation.

I can understand Switch ports which i why I mentioned if IF there is a vast difference list it seperately.
The is basically useless…

You just need to think a bit about there are others platforms outside Xbox and PlayStation… and even so in these two there are bugs and issues that maybe bother you, me or somebody else.

Why somebody looking for a game for Xbox have to read reviews for people playing on PlayStation? That makes no sense at all… why should a Xbox player cares about how Hapics feedback feels on PS5?

Unless you are somebody looking for a comparison between Xbox and PlayStation there is no point in making people read experiences in another platforms.

IMO I look for experience of reviewers playing the game on PlayStation and not any other place.

Like I said reviewer aggregators are tools… if that tools is useful to you then it is fine… that is why I do like Metacritic… it is a useful tool for me…. plus tools are personal… some like Gimp, other Paint and others Photoshop.

Last edited:

packy34

That's not really a problem with Metacritic itself. Rather, it's a problem with media diversity in general.

I personally tend to use Metacritic similar to how I use Wikipedia: not for the content the site itself offers, but for the list of sources it collects for you. I scan the publication names/review blurbs and read the ones that seem to have actual substance.

GHG

Gold Member
When you buy a game, what do you look for?
Most people look at metacritic to judge it.
This is the issue.
You have a game, which tells 2 different stories.
One 1 platform. Its very good. On other, it's meh.

I dont want reviews to review the game for all platforms. Since that would be impossible to do it.

I am just disappointed that this type of reviews are what holds the game down.

It's a multiplatform game so they can look at the reviews for any platform. Problem solved.

In your thread title you said this was about "platform favouritism" but now you're suddenly concerned it's holding the game down? You're not as slick as you think you are.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The is basically useless…

You just need to think a bit about there are others platforms outside Xbox and PlayStation… and even so in these two there are bugs and issues that maybe bother you, me or somebody else.

Why somebody looking for a game for Xbox have to read reviews for people playing on PlayStation? That makes no sense at all… why should a Xbox player cares about how Hapics feedback feels on PS5?

Unless you are somebody looking for a comparison between Xbox and PlayStation there is no point in making people read experiences in another platforms.

IMO I look for experience of reviewers playing the game on PlayStation and not any other place.

Like I said reviewer aggregators are tools… if that tools is useful to you then it is fine… that is why I do like Metacritic… it is a useful tool for me…. plus tools are personal… some like Gimp, other Paint and others Photoshop.

I see so you can think of 10 games you can think of that have vastly diverse quality between platforms?

As for your point on platform specific features....well IGN and Gamespot already solved this
If they review a game on Xbox they note : Reviewed on Xbox.....a good editor will ask for how the experience is on PS5, PC, Switch then the editor can mention platform specific features or flaws.
There really isnt a need for 3 or 4 reviews for the same game if the experience is effectively the same on all the platforms is there.
Editor notes are enough if the game is the same on all the platforms.

Fret Runner

Ohh, what's really going to bake your noodle later on is, what score do you think you would have given the game?
410cc80dd32b3080bd8e9d3262112dfa.jpg

Fredrik

I wish some of you guys wouldn’t be so depended on “score” so much.
That’s one reason why Gamepass is so great. You can try it and judge for yourself if a game is good or bad. The Ascent, 67 on metacritic, would’ve probably been skipped by many if we had to buy it. But now it was on Gamepass and people are loving it, user scores sits at 8+/10 everywhere on all platforms, for me it’s among the top 3 games of the year.

Ritsumei2020

Report me for console warring
I dont see a problem with favouritism. Its well known that the same exact game is:

Game on Nintendo: its not up there with Mario - 75 metacritic
Game on Sony: its the usual boring third person - 80 metacritic
Game on Xbox: its free on gamepass - metacritc doesn't count man
Game on PC: its got ray tracing - 99 on metacritic

Use Opencritic. Metacritic aggregates by platform and this means each platform has different scores because they have their own dedicated pages and magazines.

Playstation magazines tend to be more generous with their scores which means that Playstation versions will generally have a higher score.

junguler

Banned
the fact that some people still care about these things boggles my mind, stop giving it power over your gaming habits. watch some gameplay videos or streams of said game and decide for yourself.

FatCamperBear

Neo Member
Metacritic is pretty fucking terrible if you want to find how a game is, the only decent close to reality score that you can find about a game is Steam. Just tons of REAL, not paid, owners of the game, giving their opinions about it.

reksveks

Metacritic is pretty fucking terrible if you want to find how a game is, the only decent close to reality score that you can find about a game is Steam. Just tons of REAL, not paid, owners of the game, giving their opinions about it.
Until a bunch of them get pissed off about something irrelevant but yeah, generally user reviews is probably a better bet unless you have a different set of tastes in comparison to the people reviewing it however typically that doesn't happen.

What's up with OP? I swear he's behind 80% of low effort bait threads this past month, and that's probably lowballing it.

He just requested a ban. Im guessing he knows he's going to get hit sooner or later so he bailed out.

No idea why he's spamming so many threads. When he comes back I hope he thinks twice before making them here.

Graciaus

Until a bunch of them get pissed off about something irrelevant but yeah, generally user reviews is probably a better bet unless you have a different set of tastes in comparison to the people reviewing it however typically that doesn't happen.
And all those reviews are filtered out. It's nice to know something happened but those aren't counted.

Bryank75

Banned
Keanu Reeves No GIF

Top Bottom