• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cleared Demon's Souls (PS5) today. Wow.

NikuNashi

I've never played a souls bourne game before, never had any desire to. I thought the difficulty and repetitive death looked annoying and I don't have a lot of time to invest in gaming now (married with kid).

Boy was I wrong, this game has made me think about and play games in a totally new way. Not going to spoil anything but I played it on release day, spent 30 mins making a character then got to the red knight in boletaria and got my ass handed to me a few times, got pissed and packed it up. Fast forward 3 months and I decided to give it another shot, built a different character started playing again and something clicked.

The weapon based combat might be the best I've ever felt in a game, just the danger involved and the haptic feeling of the impacts is perfect. Levelling up is perfect, visuals stunning, sound great.

Man-eater boss is the only time I got physically abusive to my duelsense (punch, thrown, bitten) but the real sense of accomplishment when his ai glitched out and I managed to cheese him was hype.

Anyway, point of this is, if you are not a souls fan like I wasn't I would recommend giving it a go at least until you beat a few bosses and level up. If it clicks you will love it.

Umbasa
The real Demon's Souls starts here.

FUBARx89

Demon's Souls is a great concept game for what would become Dark Souls.

My only problem is how easy the game is......then I went into NG+ with a PBWT and it actually became a challange.

NikuNashi

Your post make me happy.

I can't recommend enough to play Dark Souls 1. (If you're fine with the downgrade in visuals and performance but everything else is better for me)

Yeah that's my dilemma now. I think I'm ok with the visual downgrade but going back to no haptic feedback of the combat will be tough, it really made it special for me. But yeah I am for sure going to try the others next.

But I'm still thinking about new game plus it making another build and running through again. Decisions.

Ulysses 31

The real challenge is NG+ where you can get one shot by so much stuff. Even after finishing DS1, DS2, BB and Sekiro, this mode's giving me a lot of trouble.

I'm not using a magic built and I play in souls form for the pure white tendency items. Not using Northern Regalia either coz my character tendency is neutral.

Playthrough 3 might try pure black world tendency for the extra challenge and pain. :lollipop_confounded:

DelireMan7

Yeah that's my dilemma now. I think I'm ok with the visual downgrade but going back to no haptic feedback of the combat will be tough, it really made it special for me. But yeah I am for sure going to try the others next.

But I'm still thinking about new game plus it making another build and running through again. Decisions.
No PS5 yet but I am curious about the chaotic feedback.

I usually enjoy more regular NG with new build but NG+ is also a valid option for more fun :)

Souls game have definitely change my taste in game (and more actually)

NikuNashi

The real challenge is NG+ where you can get one shot by so much stuff. Even after finishing DS1, DS2, BB and Sekiro, this mode's giving me a lot of trouble.

I'm not using a magic built and I play in souls form for the pure white tendency items. Not using Northern Regalia either coz my character tendency is neutral.

Playthrough 3 might try pure black world tendency for the extra challenge and pain. :lollipop_confounded:

My first build was not magic but as a noob I was getting destroyed so my second build I went for royalty. Immediately after I completed it I started new game +, I just couldn't leave my build, we've been through too much together for it to be over like that. I heard it's brutal, especially some of the bosses.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I've never played a souls bourne game before, never had any desire to. I thought the difficulty and repetitive death looked annoying and I don't have a lot of time to invest in gaming now (married with kid).

Boy was I wrong, this game has made me think about and play games in a totally new way. Not going to spoil anything but I played it on release day, spent 30 mins making a character then got to the red knight in boletaria and got my ass handed to me a few times, got pissed and packed it up. Fast forward 3 months and I decided to give it another shot, built a different character started playing again and something clicked.

The weapon based combat might be the best I've ever felt in a game, just the danger involved and the haptic feeling of the impacts is perfect. Levelling up is perfect, visuals stunning, sound great.

Man-eater boss is the only time I got physically abusive to my duelsense (punch, thrown, bitten) but the real sense of accomplishment when his ai glitched out and I managed to cheese him was hype.

Anyway, point of this is, if you are not a souls fan like I wasn't I would recommend giving it a go at least until you beat a few bosses and level up. If it clicks you will love it.

Umbasa
The PS5 version does fix one of the reoccuring things about Souls games, the long respawn time.

That said, yes, a great experience. I remember playing it on PS3 and it just feels better on PS5. I good remake usually does, lol. I got alot further with this game vs the PS3 one.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
real sense of accomplishment when his ai glitched out and I managed to cheese him was hype.

Emoji Think GIF

NikuNashi

I'm just happy you even have a console to play it on. When I played Demon Souls on the PS3 it was great. I definitely will buy it alongside my PS5.
Thanks!. As a game to get alongside PS5 I think a few levels are visually amazing. I think the stages around Flamelurker boss are the most impressive, it was like being in Mordor/Mount Doom, particle effects were standout.

Skifi28

I respect them wanting to keep the original experience faithful, but I would have liked a second mode that modernized a few things. The game really shows its age in some of its systems. Still, what's there is great. Finished NG+ and will probably be going for the platinum.

Last edited:

sn0man

Decided I was missing out and put my collectors talk to action. I played through the PS3 original this Xmas break and sounds like we had a similar experience.

Probably finished over leveled but starting as a hunter class I was in over my head for the first 20 or so levels.

thought about ng+ but would rather restart, the difficulty was high enough.

I don’t know that I cheesed maneater but I definitely was able to get the pounces dodged at just the right times. That boss was by far the hardest.

the last boss was super tough but luckily a person joined my world and helped me through it.

It was cool having the third party PS3 servers and all the hints on the ground were great. I didn’t look up anything so all the hints and death marks to learn from helped a ton.

Last edited:

Umbasa
Demon's Souls is by far the best one to start with, and the difficulty is much closer to a playable balance than their future games. In future releases, they really get bogged down making things excessively difficult - especially Sekiro.

Demon's Souls is almost like an adult Zelda. If you are just careful, observant and methodical, with normal to above-average action game experience, then you'll be able to beat the game and enjoy it.

Last edited:

skit_data

Once you’ve gone Souls, there aint no going back

Its kinda sad, really. Whatever game I play, I always compare it to the Soulsborne (ugly word) series, and realize Id rather play one of them instead. Everything feels pretty lackluster now, sadly.

Roufianos

I went straight to Dark Souls 3 and it still felt excellent technically.

Can't say the same for Dark Souls Remastered.

I also bought Demon's Souls Remake on the PS5 launch day. At first I thought that I'll play it for a while then sell it when it get's too hard, but I got totally hooked by it.
It's my first From game which I played all the way to the end credits and after that I finished Dark Souls Remastered and now I'm playing Dark Souls 3.

Demon's Souls Remake made me love From Software games and I can't wait for BB nextgen update (it's just a matter of weeks/months when they announce it, I feel it in my bones).

Edit. I finished Demon's with a strenght build and I'm playing Dark Souls 1 and 3 with a quality builds. Magic ain't for me.

Last edited:

FUBARx89

Your post make me happy.

I can't recommend enough to play Dark Souls 1. (If you're fine with the downgrade in visuals and performance but everything else is better for me)

Remastered is a flat 60fps on base ps4 etc. So be smooth sailing on ps5.

Ds2 is 60fps, but that's the black sheep of the family.

Likewise DS3 is also a smooth 60fps on ps5.

So he's in for a treat if he plays them.

It pains me to go on BB and have it as 30fps now.

FUBARx89

I also bought Demon's Souls Remake on the PS5 launch day. At first I thought that I'll play it for a while then sell it when it get's too hard, but I got totally hooked by it.
It's my first From game which I played all the way to the end credits and after that I finished Dark Souls Remastered and now I'm playing Dark Souls 3.

Demon's Souls Remake made me love From Software games and I can't wait for BB nextgen update (it's just a matter of weeks/months when they announce it, I feel it in my bones).

Edit. I finished Demon's with a strenght build and I'm playing Dark Souls 1 and 3 with a quality builds. Magic ain't for me.

Ahhh a man of taste I see.

Did one unga bunga with the dragon bone smasher? Or crushing weapons?

DelireMan7

Remastered is a flat 60fps on base ps4 etc. So be smooth sailing on ps5.

Ds2 is 60fps, but that's the black sheep of the family.

Likewise DS3 is also a smooth 60fps on ps5.

So he's in for a treat if he plays them.

It pains me to go on BB and have it as 30fps now.
Thanks for the details.

Framerate is a non issue for me so I don't know what game run at which framerate.

I know some a really sensitive to it and to visuals.

MiguelItUp

I'm much like you, OP. I personally couldn't get into the games at all. Loved their art, music, aesthetic, etc. But the gameplay did nothing for me. That ALL changed with the remake. I loved the hell out of it. Such a great experience.

I tried going to play Dark Souls Remastered afterward as I was riding a high similar to yours. I put quite a bit of time into it but then just put it down and didn't pick it back up for whatever reason.

With Bloodborne I'm holding out for a remake or an official 60 FPS version. It HAS to happen. I refuse to believe it won't, lol. If I still had my Pro I'd play the mod.

Anywho, I'm glad you enjoyed it! This past week they showed the Demon's Souls Remake vinyl is coming and I pre-ordered ASAP. 😍

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I really wish they would implement a respec option. I want to try out a Faith build, but have no interest in starting over.

itsArtie

I dropped both Bloodborne and DS3 because of that reason. Sekiro on the other hand, I was ripping my hair out but still managed to beat it in a couple of days, love that game, will probably buy Nioh collection soon.

Last edited:

Arachnid

That's about how it goes for everyone.

Try the game out > get clapped> game is ass so stop playing > give it a try again months to years later > it clicks > GOAT of GOATs jesus > devour every Fromsoft game prior and after > start looking at weaker copies to scratch the itch > devour those > out of soulslikes > depressed since games now pale in comparison

Congrats on making it to step six. It's all uphill from here until you run out of Fromsoft titles. Then it's a gradual downhill curve until you're actually worse off than you were before you started the steps. It's cruel. :(

I played it on release day, spent 30 mins making a character then got to the red knight in boletaria and got my ass handed to me a few times, got pissed and packed it up. Fast forward 3 months and I decided to give it another shot

This is the correct way to becoming a Souls fan. I had nearly the exact same experience with Demon's Souls (on PS3). I've heard this story 100 times from other Souls fans.

I'm glad to hear it clicked. Hopefully, you also understand why a difficulty option would have killed the experience. Instead of giving up at first, you (and myself) would have likely just dropped the difficulty to Very Easy, and just boringly plowed through the game and would have completely missed the point and likely never became big fans of the games.

Top Bottom