• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cleveland Police call for State of Emergency during RNC, and suspension of open carry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volimar

Why? If the police are already securing an area beyond the venue, it's within their power to extend that. Otherwise, what they're currently doing is illegal.

The zone that they're securing is probably set in the wording of the law. No guns within this many feet of these places, etc. To extend the zone, they'd probably have to amend the law to change how many feet they're allowed to exclude guns.

I'd also expect they aren't going to have the presumably large group of protesters (pro or against) out and about during their convention. That's where shit is gonna get wild here..Trump beings out the fucking crazies.

I wonder if the promised Bernie protesters will still show now that he has endorsed Hillary.

woolley

Not going to happen.

“Ohio governors do not have the power to arbitrarily suspend federal and state constitutional rights or state laws as suggested,” Ms. Kalmbach said. “The bonds between our communities and police must be reset and rebuilt – as we’re doing in Ohio – so our communities and officers can both be safe. Everyone has an important role to play in that renewal.”

NYT

this_is_delicious_by_samhainstar.jpg

Volimar

Not going to happen.

"Who do you think we are, North Carolina?"

On a separate note, it's always disconcerting to hear Kasich spout common sense because it fools people into thinking he's a reasonable person and forgetting things like that he and the secretary of state have been making it harder and harder to vote since they took office.

"Who do you think we are, North Carolina?"

On a separate note, it's always disconcerting to hear Kasich spout common sense because it fools people into thinking he's a reasonable person and forgetting that he and the secretary of state have been making it harder and harder to vote since they took office.

He was also one of the original defendants in Obergefell.

Future

I actually hope tons of people exercise their open carry freedom as close to that venue as possible. Just so people can see the absurdity of allowing a bunch of people to do that. It'd be hypocritical for anyone in the republican pro gun base to agree with this.

Police pretty much admitting that it's hard to fucking police when people have guns everywhere. You'd think that'd be basic logic people would understand. But alas

Diablos

Kasich can't use his executive arm to temporarily suspend open carry for the duration of the convention in a clearly defined space?

Bullshit. I do not accept that.

Kasich can't use his executive arm to temporarily suspend open carry for the duration of the convention in a clearly defined space?

Bullshit. I do not accept that.

If it's in the law, which I think it is, then it would take legislative action. Executive actions can't go against statute.

Edit: It is obviously banned inside the convention hall, but that is technically a Secret Service thing, rather than any state order.

Nordicus

That sounds like a guy signing his own resignation, he literally swore and oath to uphold the constitution.
Big surprise they want a monopoly on firearms and the carry of firearms.
I mean it would really suck if unruly rabble would be able to fight back in any capacity against oppression and wrongdoings.

Edit: Just to make clear, I'm in no way condoning the murder of random police officers. That's wrong on every level. I'm speaking about defending against specific cases of unlawful abuse of power and or danger to yourself or loved ones.
Yes, self-defense against oppressive individual policemen with your own weapons has been particularly succesful these last few decades.

I think BLM would vouch for that

HylianTom

Banned
No one is rooting for violence, but there are people enjoying a bit of schadenfreude as Republicans see a bit of their idiocy when to comes to open carry and why it isn't a good idea.

A large portion of the GOP base doesn't live in highly-populated areas - their numbers are driven by rural dominance - so many of them either fail to consider the implications of their preferred gun policies when applied to populated areas.. or they just don't care.

For this event, they're forced to care. It's a bit different when it's their own asses that are potentially in the crosshairs.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Well the police will be more safe with all sorts of people with guns there, the police is just a liberal!!! /s

After the past two weeks I can't help but think horrible thing will happen

geomon

What's the problem? Don't the police feel safer knowing they'll be surrounded by good white christian men armed to the teeth?

Actually kinda applaud the police chief for this?

The police don't particularly care for everyone carrying guns on the streets, too.

Many instances of unarmed victims being killed is because police legitimately thought someone was reaching for a gun.

Guns can certainly make the police's jobs harder to do.
They don't automatically know who is good and bad. They have to fear for their life more than they do in other countries with a lower weapons presence.

We've seen open carry activists walking near schools to exercise their rights. Cops will address the person walking near a school but they aren't allowed to do anything. They don't know if that person is going to go walk in and shoot the school.

It's crazy, man.

Bleepey

The thing is if shit went down ammosexuals would either claim false flag, argue for more guns or just not give a fuck.

Calamari41

41 > 38
What kind of crimes do we see committed by people exercising open carry? I'm asking from a place of ignorance. I'm having a hard time finding anything specific online, it's mostly "overall crime in CC and OC States vs not."

Actually making allowance for temporary suspension of open carry in a state of emergency is one of better baby step moves towards gun control I can thin of.

But yeah even that won't happen.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Seems like police are going to become some of the biggest advocates of gun control.

Big surprise they want a monopoly on firearms and the carry of firearms.
I mean it would really suck if unruly rabble would be able to fight back in any capacity against oppression and wrongdoings.

Edit: Just to make clear, I'm in no way condoning the murder of random police officers. That's wrong on every level. I'm speaking about defending against specific cases of unlawful abuse of power and or danger to yourself or loved ones.

Police wanting a monopoly on carrying guns, acting like some kind of well regulated militia. How unconstitutional!

Vinland

Banned
It's such a contradiction to the whole idea of American freedom, security, and us being the greatest.

No great country needs to arm its citizens for protection from other citizens. It's lunacy.

Well that isn't exactly true. While I think the 2nd amendment has been taken out if context to allow such individual open carry laws to exist there is no system set in place to allow state millitias to train citizens responsibly about guns and why they are important and how to leverage them in the spirit of the law.

Thus you have what now is over a hundred years of tradition and corporate interest that makes arming citizen v citizen a legal liability on either side of the debate. And because there are socioeconomic segregation, cultural segregation and even political segregation in America the "Militia" person openly carrying is untrustworthy based on lack of trust you might have if there was a state militia training system in place and an armory system.

But the federal army and National Guard are not those things and require war time efforts when needed. Some people just want to know if the government steps out of line the 2nd amendment has their back. So they use the system as is and any "Militia" is going to be an echo chamber for better or worse.

They are beginning to realize the danger posed by the bizarre and idiotic laws that have been championed by the Republican Party in this country. It's all well and good till the situation becomes so heated and dangerous where just about anybody carrying a dangerous firearm could ensure you never make it back home to your family.

If America didn't have a gun culture, there would less shootings, less cops killing people, ect

Cops wanting less guns is a normal thing

The 2nd Ammendment is ridiculous

Yeah, Cleveland is going to be crazy around this time. There are even signs on the highways around here with a number that you call to give tips to the FBI. I'm glad my commute doesn't go near there.

Call if you see "something". What a dumb vague sign. Say what you really mean.

Wilsongt

If America didn't have a gun culture, there would less shootings, less cops killing people, ect

Cops wanting less guns is a normal thing

The 2nd Ammendment is ridiculous

It wasn't ridiculous when it was made given the climate, but yes. As time has gone forward and the nation has modernized, it has become bullshit. The problem is that, even though we have been able to change and update the constitution to limit powers, grant freedoms, and adjust with the changing times, no other amendent, outside of the 18th, had a multibillion dollar industry supporting it.

My sister's husband is an Ohio Highway Patrol trooper. He was chosen to go to the RNC this week - not asked, forced to go. He has to work outside with the protesters from Mon-Thurs, 12 noon until 12 midnight. He will only be allowed to carry his handgun. They will have rifles in certain cars, but he will only be armed with a handgun.

Wait you can open carry an AR-15

Da fuck???

I think the thinking is rifles are harder if not impossible to conceal and therefore allows police to better see who has what.

Versus additional restrictions on how handguns are carried because they are so easy to hide. But yeah open carry laws in general in the US are weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom