• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliff B lays the ownage on Nintendo

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200408/N04.0818.1827.23661.htm

Bleszinski: I think Nintendo has a place. You know, Sony’s always said this. But it seems to me like Nintendo is more interested lately in doing like just weird stuff like they’re a think tank, you know? Like to try and push gaming forward in its own interesting and unique direction. They’ve got games like the bongo game, and that game that’s like pinball against an army. And it’s like, “Okay, congratulations. You’re different. You win.” It’s like the kid who gets a big tattoo on his forehead at school. It’s like, “Well, you’re different.” And I say this out of my heart because I dearly love Nintendo. My nickname in elementary school was Nintendo Boy. My name’s in the first issue of Nintendo Power.

Redbeard

Banned
01s.jpg

BuddyC

All I have to do is quote the first question to express how I feel about GI. Keep in mind this is from a professional publication with numerous paid writers.

Game Informer: Obviously Unreal Tournament 2004 did very well, is still doing very well. Where you surprised by that? Where you anticipating that?

BuddyChrist83 said:
All I have to do is quote the first question to express how I feel about GI. Keep in mind this is from a professional publication with numerous paid writers.
TELL US WHERE YOU HID THE DIAMONDS BLESZINSKI

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Duckhuntdog said:
Like to try and push gaming forward in its own interesting and unique direction. They’ve got games like the bongo game, and that game that’s like pinball against an army.

Made by Namco. Made by Vivarium.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Oh is that the one they mean? The really fun game everyone at E3 seemed to love? Perhaps not the best way to show his point.

BuddyChrist83 said:

But...but it's Billy Berghammer...

BuG

Bleszinski: ...My name’s in the first issue of Nintendo Power.

GI: Are you kidding me?

Bleszinski: Super Mario Bros. high score. 9,998,950. Polaroided the screen. Sent it in. Went to the Nintendo World Championships when I was 15. Came in second in Massachusetts. I totally ate it. It was like The Wizard.
powerglove.jpg

Hari

Banned
I don't think Cliffy B was trying to "own" Nintendo...

It seems to me he is an old school Nintendo fan.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
So... nintendo catches hell for releasing the same franchises and doing the same thing over and over, and nintendo catches hell for being different and innovating?

Wonderful.

shuri

Banned
I see where's he going. Nintendo kinda became a cliché of themselves with that non-stop about being innovative all the time

BuG

I heard an audio interview with Cliffy B a while ago, from one of those streaming video game music websites (I don't know which one it was, but I think I got the link from old GAF so maybe someone here runs the site and/or knows which one I'm talking about), in which he talked about how he was picked on in high-school for being "Nintendo Boy". He seems to be a genuine old-school Nintendo fan. So, yeah, this wasn't an attempt at 0wnage.

edit: German DVD release of The Wizard. Universal and Nintendo need to team up to release an English DVD version, complete with Super Mario Bros. 3 commercials (and Power Glove, if there was a TV ad) in their original full-screen splendour.

dvd.jpg

teepo

cliffy b isn;t behind the unreal technology but the unreal games. tim sweeny is the man behind the engiens.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I don't really think Cliffy B is trying to lay the smackdown on anyone here. He's a big Nintendo fan. He's just making an observation, and that's ok. What confuses him about Nintendo is what I like the most about them, though.

Deku Tree

Lost Weekend said:
I don't really think Cliffy B is trying to lay the smackdown on anyone here. He's a big Nintendo fan. He's just making an observation, and that's ok. What confuses him about Nintendo is what I like the most about them, though.

IAWTP

MaddenNFL64

Nintendo needs to make a Mario game, but with Ninja's.

And pirates.

Pirate ninjas.

Who are cyborgs.

From the future.

Then they'll be respected :).

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
MaddenNFL64 said:

And pirates.

Pirate ninjas.

Who are cyborgs.

From the future.

THAT'S IT!

ManaByte

Gold Member
Cliffy B needs to do the Mario FPS for Nintendo. Quake II + Mario Model w/ SM64 sounds + the Pee Wee's Big Adventure soundtrack = laughs.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
MaddenNFL64 said:
Billy sucks at interviewing.
He also sucks at spelling apparently.

The interview does blow however, even disregarding the lack of copyediting.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Um, so they're 'owned' because they make...unique and innovative games? Wow, what's the deal with Nintendo? They should totally just stick to pumping out generic titles with needless yearly updates, and like, totally stop being all weird and stuff...you know, like that dude in high school who totally had that tat on his forehead.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
MaddenNFL64 said:

And pirates.

Pirate ninjas.

Who are cyborgs.

From the future.

you forgot the highly trained dino assasins with missle launchers.

MaddenNFL64

Opportunity = Chibi style Unreal Tournament with baby stroller type vehicles, and 2 player split-screen with slowdown. Port to PS2 a month later.

snapty00

Banned
I'm not sure that's "ownage" or whatever, and I don't think that guy meant for it to be, but I totally agree with what he said:

"And it’s like, 'Okay, congratulations. You’re different. You win.' It’s like the kid who gets a big tattoo on his forehead at school. It’s like, 'Well, you’re different.'"

Top Bottom