• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliff Bleszinski addresses the differences between Lawbreakers and Overwatch

Cliff Bleszinski addresses the differences between Lawbreakers and Overwatch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiW9AiHQ9Nc

While Lawbreakers may look like it plays similarly to Overwatch, but director Cliff Bleszinksi would rather that people focus on the differences.

The interview above, posted by Eurogamer, has a lot of good insights into how the game plays and what Boss Key Productions hope to achieve with the title.

At the 5:08 point in the interview, Eurogamer’s Chris Bratt asks Cliff ‘Cliffy B’ Bleszinski to address the differences between his upcoming game and Overwatch, and whether the comparisons annoy him.

“When people see something, they immediately want to put it in a bucket with something else”, Bleszinski says.

“And there is some overlap in regards to the fact that we have characters and guns and weapons and whatnot, but the thing is that our art style is a little bit more gritty – theirs is kind of, super bright colors, almost anime-ish characters…they’re going for a bazillion different characters, while we’re going initially with less is more, and we’re ramping up to find our balance.”

“And them, as a game, are so much rock-paper-scissors. And for us, you know, if I come around the corner in Overwatch and I have the wrong character, and someone else has the right character, in that rock-paper-scissors match, I’m dead.”

According to Bleszinski, this won’t be the case in Lawbreakers. “Also, in Overwatch, if I enter a room with four, five, six people from the other team, I don’t stand a chance of really taking them all out. If you’re really good at this game with any of the different roles and classes, you can take out an entire team.”

Lawbreakers is coming to PC and does not have a release date yet, although a closed alpha ran last weekend for ‘friends and family’. Overwatch is out now on PC, PS4 and Xbox One.
http://www.vg247.com/2016/06/22/cliff-bleszinski-lawbreakers-and-overwatch/

Cliff Bleszinski was on hand to talk about the game's now public alpha version (no NDAs, he emphasized, so leave feedback early and often). "If Overwatch is Street Fighter, we're going to be Mortal Kombat," he said.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/...ant-cop-kaiju-and-more-at-e3s-pc-gaming-show/

From an article back in March:
A R-rated experience: We are putting the cartoon characters to bed. The adults are here to cause violence and chaos. We don't want to make a game that will be lumped in with the cartoon style from our competitors. LawBreakers is a bloodsport.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-lawbreakers-plans-to-stand-out-from-overwatch-/1100-6435785/

sappyday

tl;dr: "Overwatch is for weaboos" -

Cliff_B.jpg

After seeing what happened to Battleborn I can understand him seeing the need to set his game apart from Overwatch. It's probably going to have a steep hill to climb either way.

The gritty style is overdone, I would have liked to see the studio try something else.

Ryan_MSF

Cliff Bleszinski was on hand to talk about the game's now public alpha version (no NDAs, he emphasized, so leave feedback early and often). "If Overwatch is Street Fighter, we're going to be Mortal Kombat," he said.

Don't buy it on PC then anyone

@MUWANdo

Banned
I didn't think anyone was comparing the two, at least not beyond the superficial way everyone compares everything to Overwatch because it's hot right now.

It makes sense to want to differentiate your game from other hero shooters but after Gears and Unreal you'd think they'd know better than to go with yet another sophomoric machismo style.

I just watched some gameplay on YouTube. I'm thinking this will be a repeat of Battleborn. It didn't really look bad, but the mindshare right now is entirely on Overwatch. I'd hate to be someone working on a hero shooter right now. I just can't see this pulling in the players needed to sustain it.

vareon

I hope it has hobby-grade coop campaign; genre-blended, multi-mode competitive e-sports; meta-growth, choice + epic Lawbreakers Heroes though.

T.O.P

Banned
I'm honestly excited for this game, Cliffy knows what's up

Main problem is gonna be finding the time for it, between OW, Titanfall 2 and BF1, it will be rough

Jinjo

Has he even played Overwatch?

1. You don't automatically die/lose if you encounter a character that is your (hard) counter.

2. You can just as well take out an entire team in Overwatch too as long as you don't suck, Cliffy.

forms

I just watched some gameplay on YouTube. I'm thinking this will be a repeat of Battleborn. It didn't really look bad, but the mindshare right now is entirely on Overwatch. I'd hate to be someone working on a hero shooter right now. I just can't see this pulling in the players needed to sustain it.

My thoughts exactly, being on the same road as the Lumbering Blizzmobile inevitably means you will be forced off.

Edit: First time I have heard of this title. Looking at the video, it strikes me as a marriage between hero shooters, Unreal and a dash of Quake. Could be fun. Also, Iike what I hear about their dismissal of standard DLC content. Looking forward to trying this out.

Jito

Banned

1. You don't automatically die/lose if you encounter a character that is your (hard) counter.

2. You can just as well take out an entire team in Overwatch too as long as you don't suck, Cliffy.

Yeh sounds like he's either not played it or he's not as good at shooters as he thinks.

Bad time to be releasing a competitor to Overwatch really, what's the hurry to get all these hero shooters out this year? Wait for the OW hype to die down.

If you run into either of these situations 1000 times in Overwatch, you will lose out in 900 of them. Love Overwatch, but let's at least respect the intentions and talents of the designers of the game.

Corpekata

Banned
POTG often ends up being exactly that, though. Maybe not an entire team but getting 4 out of 6 players is not uncommon.

That's not what Cliffy is referring to though, those 4 players usually are dealing with several enemies at once, while he's referring to is presumably taking the team out with more than an AOE Ult. Like he says, " If you’re really good at this game with any of the different roles and classes," nobody's going to be pulling that off with any of the supports.

And even then really, less than half the cast has access to that sort of move.

Looked boring and generic. Grittier than Overwatch might not work in its favor as it looks like five other fps multi-player shooters.

Overwatch's look makes it stand out. Also, is his game a team based shooter? Because in the footage they showed it just seemed like there was only two guys on the screen ever.

Soma

A R-rated experience: We are putting the cartoon characters to bed. The adults are here to cause violence and chaos. We don't want to make a game that will be lumped in with the cartoon style from our competitors. LawBreakers is a bloodsport.

sounds like a game made for Reaper

tl;dr: "Overwatch is for weaboos" -

Fun story about Weeaboos and Overwatch. My username on b.net is Usagi. A ton of people who I play with call me out on as an insult or something. Couldn't figure it out. Is it because it means "rabbit"? I watch anime, I also watched TMNT once when I made this account.

Apparently my username is Sailor Moon's real name. In the show. That I've never actually seen - despite watching a lot of anime. But how did these "not weeaboos" know that? xD

tl,dr; Anyone calling people weeaboos are weeaboos.

KOCMOHABT

It's going to be so hard for them. Especially since everyone and their mothers are playing Overwatch already.

Why should I spend 20-40$ again for a game which is super similar, when I have progressed so much in OW already? Gameplay, yes. But Overwatch is pretty good.

DISCLAIMER: I don't own Overwatch. Many friends do. Would play both titles if they were free to play though.

Without using an ult? That rarely happens.

I could see it happening with someone who's very good at Genji or something, but yeah without using an ult it would be really rare.

That's not what Cliffy is referring to though, those 4 players usually are dealing with several enemies at once, while he's referring to is presumably taking the team out with more than an AOE Ult. Like he says, " If you’re really good at this game with any of the different roles and classes," nobody's going to be pulling that off with any of the supports.

And even then really, less than half the cast has access to that sort of move.

What kind of roles/classes does Lawbreakers have then? I'm assuming it doesn't have any dedicated tanks / supports if what he says is true.

After playing the Lawbreakers alpha last weekend, I can safely say it is not for me unless the game undergoes radical changes. I'm a huge fan of arena shooters, the game is just too slow, with most of the action being close quarters and most of the weaponry not being very precise.

I left as much feedback as possible in the survey but I think the game just won't be for me. Which is a shame as my body yearns for a good arena shooter...fingers crossed for quake champions.

Fun story about Weeaboos and Overwatch. My username on b.net is Usagi. A ton of people who I play with call me out on as an insult or something. Couldn't figure it out. Is it because it means "rabbit"? I watch anime, I also watched TMNT once when I made this account.

Apparently my username is Sailor Moon's real name. In the show. That I've never actually seen - despite watching a lot of anime. But how did these "not weeaboos" know that? xD

tl,dr; Anyone calling people weeaboos are weeaboos.

Sailor Moon is pretty 'mainstream' especially for people growing up around that era when Anime first reached the west.

That said, I myself only know that's her real name recently and if I had seen your B.net I would just assumed you like rabbits...

Acinixys

I feel that there is place for both games, but holy shit Lawbreakers UI is ugly as sin compared to Overwatches

There is so much garbage on the screen at all times. It looks terrible

This is true, but there are different aspects to it. Some competitive games are far more 'balanced' in terms of average 1 to 1 encounters than others (one of the reasons I don't love OW), even if strictly speaking, any 1 to 1 can end with either side victorious.

Sailor Moon is pretty 'mainstream' especially for people growing up around that era when Anime first reached the west.

That said, I myself only know that's her real name recently and if I had seen your B.net I would just assumed you like rabbits...

I'll tell you my secret.

I think rabbits are pretty sweet. And I jump around all the time when I play FPS.

1. You don't automatically die/lose if you encounter a character that is your (hard) counter

You're definitely fucked if you try to take on your hard counter on equal footing. Of course you can jump away but Winston can't do anything about Reaper face to face for example.

Let's be honest.

Yes you do. Assuming equal skill, you should get bodied by a counter 9 times out of 10. If you lose a 1v1 as Pharah vs Junkrat from full HP and skills off cooldown, you need to uninstall. For example. If you get bodied by Mercy from full HP as McCree in close quarters, you need to reevaluate life priorities and see if you can't return your copy of Overwatch.

Unless you have a "kill everyone" ult in the mix and available at some point, you can't take out an entire team unless they all forget how to left click or are running a comp full of supports or some shit. "As long as you don't suck" implies it's easy to kill 5 heroes or more without an ult. We're playing different video games if that's suddenly easy to do. Or you need to go make your MLG debut.

Staf

Haven't played Overwatch or Lawbreakers. Lawbreakers looks like Overwatch if you take out all the color and fun/joy. Probably won't get any of them but if i were to get one, the choice seem pretty simple.

Kysen

This game has bomba written all over it. The cartoon style of Overwatch actually helps it, especially in Asia.

derFeef

A lot of people are taking the comments a bit too literal and are very defensive. His explanation sounds very reasonable to me.

Top Bottom