• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliff Bleszinski talks controls, enhanced multiplayer in Gears of War 2

Tieno

I think you can directly look at every single tech video we've released and you can extrapolate a lot of how that's going to be used in the world. When you see hundreds of Locusts pouring out into the street and you're unloading a certain unannounced weapon into them, you're going to be a happy camper

icy level with a tank and power-sliding through Locusts and Gus goes, "Locust roadkill, baby. Squish. Squish. Squash. Squash."
ice/snow level. Always like snow.

That's what the fractuables allow. You really feel like you're chipping away at stuff and really interacting with the world. In a game like this, not only does Marcus slam into the wall, but shooting is your base form of interaction. When you're targeting a guy and he goes back behind cover and you have another unannounced weapon which is doing serious damage.
2 unannounced weapons.

More vehicles besides the Centaur and the Derek.

Cover system is enhanced and refined, besides that they also offer another control system that is similar to the Uncharted one where cover and evade are decoupled. He prefers the gears system, but put in for those who prefer the other system.

Aske

Uncharted style cover system for those that want it. I'm with Cliff - I missed Gears when I played Uncharted, but since so many people have the opposite opinion, that's a great inclusion.

Also, Carmine confirmed. Just promise me more Baird...

Edit: Chainsawing no longer makes you invulnerable in multiplayer. I hope that's not the case in single player too. As far as I'm concerned, if a game like Gears sticks me into an uncancelable animation, I shouldn't take hits. Vulnerability is the main reason we don't chainsaw the enemy on real life fields of battle. It's there to increase the awesome factor, and it's tough enough to pull off safely without bullets to worry about when it's successful. In fact, the NG2 OT stance the first game took let players use the saw strategically. Saved me from Torque arrows on numerous occasions.

Crayon

Aske said:
Uncharted style cover system for those that want it. I'm with Cliff - I missed Gears when I played Uncharted, but since so many people have the opposite opinion, that's a great inclusion.

I can use either but if the gears approach I thnk actually does have a harder learning curve. When you do it all on one button you have to be sharp with your timing. This can be really frustrating for some people.

Tieno

Crayon said:
I can use either but if the gears approach I thnk actually does have a harder learning curve. When you do it all on one button you have to be sharp with your timing. This can be really frustrating for some people.
Yep, it has a learning curve but I prefer the Gears system, especially with the way cover is so dense and set up (ie "platforming on the horizontal plane"), I like the flow and rhythm it gives you once you're rapidly going from cover to cover.

Aske

Crayon said:

So few games even give players control options like this. There's no sense of arrogance getting in the way of optimising the experience for everybody. A lot of people prefer Uncharted's cover system, and Gears 2 lets them use it. The option is of no interest to me, but little things like that confirm that some developers really care about putting players first. Awesome design philosophy.

DoomGyver

I haven't been disappointed with any news when it comes to Gears 2, initially I thought that Epic may change it up too much for the sequel, I was wrong, they're doing everything 110% right for Gears 2.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, for not calling him "Cliffy B" like everyone else does as if he's so super cool or he's some sage or even more important than anyone and everyone else in the world.

Aladuf

Banned
Good stuff, I'm interested in these 2 unannounced weapons. But please, can I finally get the MP video that's supposed to come out this month?!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Man, they are really putting tons of work and thought into the game - I also thought at first that you'd have to rev your chainsaw too in order to start the chainsaw battle, but since you'll only need to have the Lancer in your hand to start the battle when someone is coming at you makes the chances 100% instead of being ready for one every time, making it fair - nice...

And they are really catering to everyone with the controls as well too - I too love the original configuration as is, and won't be changing it as well...

Edag Plata said:
Thank you, thank you, thank you, for not calling him "Cliffy B" like everyone else does as if he's so super cool or he's some sage or even more important than anyone and everyone else in the world.

Uh...

Sure thing, "Edag Plata"...

DoomGyver

Aladuf23 said:
Good stuff, I'm interested in these 2 unannounced weapons. But please, can I finally get the MP video that's supposed to come out this month?!

No Shit. I've been eagerly awaiting this video since it was announced in MAY. 1up/EGM has the scoop, probably under NDA until e3 though. :(

Skilotonn said:
Man, they are really putting tons of work and thought into the game - I also thought at first that you'd have to rev your chainsaw too in order to start the chainsaw battle, but since you'll only need to have the Lancer in your hand to start the battle when someone is coming at you makes the chances 100% instead of being ready for one every time, making it fair - nice...

And they are really catering to everyone with the controls as well too - I too love the original configuration as is, and won't be changing it as well...

Uh...

Sure thing, "Edag Plata"...

Thanks "Skilotonn"

Crayon

Edag Plata said:

I heard on Bombacst that he actually requested not to be called Cliffy B anymore.

Aladuf

Banned
Crayon said:
I heard on Bombacst that he actually requested not to be called Cliffy B anymore.

Yeah, I remember hearing about that too. It seems he's trying to drop that nickname.

Slavik81

Edag Plata said:
They call him Cliffy B because his last name is tricky to pronounce if your not familiar with similar names. It's harder still to spell it.

Tomcat said:
Cliff said:
People loved it but they didn't like the host advantage. They got tired of the shotgun inconsistencies. We're fixing all of that.
THANK GOD.

That said, chainsaw battles have me worried. I'm crossing my fingers.

lionelhutz

a Master Ninja said:
Carmine lived?

Yup

1124n85.jpg

lionelhutz

kenta said:
Can someone tell me the difference between Uncharted's cover system and Gears's?

The Uncharted system uses the power of the Cell to allow you to hide behind 4D objects. The 360 uses 3 cores and only allows the use of 3D objects.

DoomGyver

What happens when someone attempts a chainsaw on me and I don't have a Lancer?, and I have say, a Longshot/torque bow/pistol?

I would hope that I could use that longshot to battle the chainsaw, only when I win I just push the chainsawer back. That would be Ideal.

But sadly, I bet I just get chainsawed :( I'll just have to make sure I shoot the bastard before he gets to me.

Aladuf

Banned
Full Recovery said:
But sadly, I bet I just get chainsawed :( I'll just have to make sure I shoot the bastard before he gets to me.

Do what I do and just snipe the bastards head off when he's coming towards you! :D

AndresON777

shooting blanks
lionelhutz said:
The Uncharted system uses the power of the Cell to allow you to hide behind 4D objects. The 360 uses 3 cores and only allows the use of 3D objects.

:lol

i'll miss calling him Cliffy B, he's a gaming god to gears of war fans.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
lionelhutz said:
Can anyone give us an actual answer?

kenta

Has no PEINS
lionelhutz said:
you are a pretty cool guy

that was pretty cool

raYne

Wellington said:
Can anyone give us an actual answer?
Gears used a single button for all the actions. Running, diving, cover and all that was tied to A. Uncharted uses a two button setup (X and O) for actions, so it's "easier" for people to do what they want and not worry about accidentally going into cover when they wanted to run or dive etc.

a Master Ninja said:
Carmine lived?
:lol Yeah, we knew a while back.

Awesome news.

Host advantage fix, shotgun randomness fix, cover system upgrades, matchmaking, new game modes.

Beautiful.

Hype++

Aladuf

Banned
mr stroke said:
I hope the Chainsaw fixing is not "two players button mash" to see who wins the chainsaw fight :(

That's what it's gonna be, but either way it's better than 2 people going for each other with the chainsaw and then randomly one person gets the kill imo.

DoomGyver

Stantron said:
They didn't like the randomness of the chainsaw, so we put the chainsaw duel in -- may the best man noob with the turbo button madcatz controller win!"

fixed

You forgot the host... no lag = more button presses in those 200ms of smashing = insta win.

DoomGyver

Aladuf23 said:
That's what it's gonna be, but either way it's better than 2 people going for each other with the chainsaw and then randomly one person gets the kill imo.

I never understood why noobs do this. Do they not have enough sense to spray their lancer and stun the opposing chainsaw combatant? fucktards

Stantron

Full Recovery said:
You forgot the host... no lag = more button presses in those 200ms of smashing = insta win.
Good point. Here's how I would handle this:
- Mash L Trigger and R Trigger back and forth instead of just one button (B).
- Even if host has no lag, calculate total of button presses from each player within the 1-2 second window. Even if host is prompted to start first, it still only counts input during that window of time, which is equal to non-host player.

Kibbles

Where is that new footage egm.1up.com promised? Jeez, is it coming at the real end of the month? That'll be by the time the next issue is out. I hope we get word on it tomorrow in the 1up Show or something.

Kibbles

mr stroke said:
I hope the Chainsaw fixing is not "two players button mash" to see who wins the chainsaw fight :(
I doubt you'll get into that many chainsaw duels anyways. Most people just grab a shotgun when it comes to up-close battles.

I hope Cliffy B doesn't remove the 'feel' of the cover system in Gears. You don't just duck or slip into cover, you smash into it. Don't remove that, Cliffy. B.

Cliffy B.

Tomcat said:
"What feedback did you receive from the multiplayer modes in Gears 1?

People loved it but they didn't like the host advantage. They got tired of the shotgun inconsistencies. We're fixing all of that. They didn't like the randomness of the chainsaw, so we put the chainsaw duel in -- may the best man win!"

http://www.gamepro.com/microsoft/xbox360/games/features/193148.shtml

Nice interview with some interesting stuff in it

I sooooo hope so. Gears 1 could have been fantastic online, but instead only raised my blood pressure to dangerous levels. I want to believe.

Alex

I never found anything about Uncharted's cover system easier or better. In fact, after Gears the lack of weight it seemed to have was really pissing me off.

I'm really glad they're fixing the chainsaw retardation in Gears multi, as well as the host bonus. It might actually be worth playing for awhile now!

Aladuf

Banned
Full Recovery said:
I never understood why noobs do this. Do they not have enough sense to spray their lancer and stun the opposing chainsaw combatant? fucktards

I know, I think people tend to forget that the lancer actually shoots bullets and isn't just a chainsaw. Kinda the same thing as people who whore the pistol for its melee and never fire a single bullet. lamest. shit. ever.

Aske said:

Edit: Chainsawing no longer makes you invulnerable in multiplayer. I hope that's not the case in single player too. As far as I'm concerned, if a game like Gears sticks me into an uncancelable animation, I shouldn't take hits. Vulnerability is the main reason we don't chainsaw the enemy on real life fields of battle. It's there to increase the awesome factor, and it's tough enough to pull off safely without bullets to worry about when it's successful. In fact, the NG2 OT stance the first game took let players use the saw strategically. Saved me from Torque arrows on numerous occasions.

if you're stupid enough to run up to an enemy and press b to saw them in half with 10 of his buddies standing around, you deserve to get shot up.

Top Bottom