• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliffy B departs Epic - Takes break from industry - GAF writes disturbing fan fiction

Gueras

Banned
4 Possibilities for him quit:

1- Next Xbox and PS4 are craps and weak hardware and he is tired of that...
2- He is making a new studio with other buddies...
3- He is joining Microsoft
4- Epic is turning to be a casual/mobile games and he is sick of this crap...

I really think is number 4...

Raide

Honestly is it hard to believe that he's just tired of working in games? He's incredibly rich and can do whatever he wants. Maybe he just wants to chill and spend time with his family, maybe he wants to help save the world or start a microbrewery like one or the other of the Bioware doctors. People burn out, people want a change etc.

The DR's ran out of talent and the will to carry on games development. Cliff still has years of awesome gaming ahead of him and he still loves making games. He should take a break and then come back to shove eye-candy and awesome-sauce into the entire worlds faceholes.

derFeef

Or the thing he actually said.

Mr.Green

5- He has enough money to party for the rest of his life.

Running one of their new studios, I suppose - though I don't think he'll end up there myself.

most people who quit seem to run off and form some indie or something, not join another large corporation.

lol i love how we're conspiracy theorists about next gen. that makes no real sense anyway, they certainly wont be WORSE than the current gen boxes he's already making games on, and realistically at their absolute worst they'd be 2x as powerful. which we'd consider crap by next gen standards, yet making a game with twice the power you're used to certainly wouldn't be something to cry over. and of course, again realistically, probably 4x current consoles would be the true absolute floor.

I mean in one sense we'd be like "4X current consoles, next gen is garbage!". But in a game dev sense it'd be like hey I'm making games on this thing, now I get this thing thats four times as powerful to make games on. How can that be bad.

Mrbob

I know what you are saying, but I don't think Cliffy's comments were out of the norm during that time frame. In 2008 PC gaming was coming out of the dark ages, and it was basically Valve pioneering the whole platform on their own. Big budget console games were extremely hot and making big bucks. In hindsight, Valve was right about PC and everyone else was wrong. Valve got the last laugh because Steam is becoming PC gaming, that's how big of a market share they have been able to claw out.

I suppose Cliffy could admit he was wrong about what he said, but we all already know that. No need to pound him on the issue. Besides, he had been pushing Fortnite before leaving Epic so it isn't like he completely gave up on the platform.

I agree with everything you just said. Personally though, as a PC gamer, I was disappointed at Cliff for choosing to "go with the flow" at that point in time instead of offering some words of support for the platform. He was an important part of PC gaming in the past and, simply put, I expected more from him. Many people wonder how Valve has managed to gather so much good will from PC gamers while other companies get crucified. Each company's behavior and attitude during the dark ages of 2005-2008 plays a big part in that.

The DR's ran out of talent and the will to carry on games development. Cliff still has years of awesome gaming ahead of him and he still loves making games. He should take a break and then come back to shove eye-candy and awesome-sauce into the entire worlds faceholes.

I don't know. Have you seen his wife? I would have retired the moment she said "I do". I can see him coming back, but in iOS or something. He's been making games since he was like 13. I think guys like Notch, even though I've never played Minecraft, have gotten rank and file people excited about not working with publishers. Granted 99 percent of those ventures will probably fail, but I'm sure it's more enticing than working 80-hour work weeks for two to three years for the typical "AAA" game.

Probably got sick of staying on one game for 6 years.

gears was his baby wasn't it? would he really get sick of working on his creation and striving for a better game? what was stopping him from working on a new game or ip? gears is now in the hands of another developer, isn't it?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Whoa, that certainly came out of left field. Best of wishes, Cliffy. Although I'm still bummed you couldn't get a new Jazz Jackrabbit out the door before leaving :p

.la1n

Honestly is it hard to believe that he's just tired of working in games? He's incredibly rich and can do whatever he wants. Maybe he just wants to chill and spend time with his family, maybe he wants to help save the world or start a microbrewery like one or the other of the Bioware doctors. People burn out, people want a change etc.

Cliffy microbrew? Be still my heart.

Neiteio

Just had a dream where Cliffy flew through my bedroom window at night and hovered over my bed momentarily, before gently descending until he was mere inches above my face. Cliffy then proceeded to lovingly caress my head and neck and whisper, "Yes, Bulletstorm 2 is real."

codhand

Hironobu Sakaguchui, Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka, Peter Molynuex, Cliffy B...

Now, I realize this trend is nothing new, but I can't help but wonder, if maybe they fear the "next-gen crunch", being that the horror stories surrounding the current-gen crunches were pretty brutal.

They all leave to do "smaller projects", or "brew dank microbraus" (in the case of the Dr.'s), or walk the Earth like Caine in Kung-fu, I'm waiting for a studio head to leave and say he wants to make such a fucking huge and awesome game that he must sacrifice himself in order to accomplish it, and no I don't mean Itagaki.

Basically, are they scurred or what? Isn't this what they love, the pressure, the pain, the swing for the fences attitude?

Reading his posts in this thread; respek. Family life is paramount in this short life we're given. I still want someone to champion the next-gen. We've had enough exits. Maybe Guillermo Del Toro will save us all.

Orayn

Hironobu Sakaguchui, Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka, Peter Molynuex, Cliffy B...

Now, I realize this trend is nothing new, but I can't help but wonder, if maybe they fear the "next-gen crunch", being that the horror stories surrounding the current-gen crunches were pretty brutal.

They all leave to do "smaller projects", or "brew dank microbraus" (in the case of the Dr.'s), or walk the Earth like Caine in Kung-fu, I'm waiting for a studio head to leave and say he wants to make such a fucking huge and awesome game that he must sacrifice himself in order to accomplish it, and no I don't mean Itagaki.

Basically, are they scurred or what? Isn't this what they love, the pressure, the pain, the swing for the fences attitude?

Reading his posts in this thread; respek. Family life is paramount in this short life we're given. I still want someone to champion the next-gen. We've had enough exits. Maybe Guillermo Del Toro will save us all.

My hope is that, in time, they will coaslesce into Obsidian-like supergroups and deliver a new generation of games from a design persective.

The reality is that many will fade from anything resembling relevance like American McGee.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
List of people who left people in the last 2 month:

Cliff B.
Rod Fergusson
Lee Perry
Adrian Chmielarz + lead and principal artists
Demond Rogers
Aaron Smith
Mikey Spano
Martin Sweitzer
Matt Tonks

All these guys have worked with Epic for 5+ years. I think there is something going on at Epic.
Wow. That's interesting. Maybe Epic will focus more on making engines than games in the future.

Just had a dream where Cliffy flew through my bedroom window at night and hovered over my bed momentarily, before gently descending until he was mere inches above my face. Cliffy then proceeded to lovingly caress my head and neck and whisper, "Yes, Bulletstorm 2 is real."

Are you sure you were dreaming?
This same thing happened to me last week.

Coincidence?

charsace

I agree with everything you just said. Personally though, as a PC gamer, I was disappointed at Cliff for choosing to "go with the flow" at that point in time instead of offering some words of support for the platform. He was an important part of PC gaming in the past and, simply put, I expected more from him. Many people wonder how Valve has managed to gather so much good will from PC gamers while other companies get crucified. Each company's behavior and attitude during the dark ages of 2005-2008 plays a big part in that.

He probably said those things about PC gaming dying because UT3, a game from a big franchise and made by Epic, bombed. So its not hard to see why he would say PC gaming was dying at the time. I think its ironic that people didn't buy UT3 at the time for PC yet PC gamers now eats up yearly COD crap which are mediocre UT/QA-lite clones which charges you for content instead of supporting a modding community like Epic did with UT and still does.

He was right because PC gaming died with the release of the original xbox and was reborn as something different. And saying Epic doesn't support PC is bullshit. They've given the PC community the UDK, the best enthusiast tool ever. Epic is still one of the biggest supporters of PC gaming.

sp3000

I think its ironic that people didn't buy UT3 at the time for PC yet PC gamers now eats up yearly COD crap which are mediocre UT/QA-lite clones which charges you for content instead of supporting a modding community like Epic did with UT and still does.

I have little respect for most of the PC community who did this. They spend the entire time whining that COD is casual crap and rehashed and when a unique arena shooter game along with full modding support and free DLC they don't buy it.

Epic released an entire expansion pack for the game that added more maps than BF3 premium has. For free.

He probably said those things about PC gaming dying because UT3, a game from a big franchise and made by Epic, bombed.

UT3 bombed on all available platforms because it was a bad game. Edit: Maybe not bad objectively, but certainly disappointing.

He was right because PC gaming died with the release of the original xbox and was reborn as something different.

How so? Are you talking about the introduction of additional business models and features? If so, does that also mean that console died with the introduction of online multiplayer, DLC and patching? I don't understand your point but maybe we shouldn't talk about it here and go so far off-topic.

And saying Epic doesn't support PC is bullshit. They've given the PC community the UDK, the best enthusiast tool ever. Epic is still one of the biggest supporters of PC gaming.

I mentioned CliffyB in particular, not Epic as a company in general.

dank0723

Banned

You are way off the mark

GamerSoul

I personally don't play Gears anymore but I have some good memories playing through 1 and 2 with my cousin and my brother's friend comes over almost every weekend and plays Gears 3 online. I'll have to break the news to him eventually. It's a little sad to hear but it's understandable. Sometimes you just have do what you have to do. It's not like he's wont be able get a job in the industry if he wanted to. Best of luck, Cliffy.

When will Bungie issue a statement?

Idk but I wish I were a fly on the wall at Epic to see exactly what built up and got a man to up and leave his own company after 20 years....

... and especially when you're nearing the next console generation, where your company's console games might finally see the next generation of graphics to take advantage of your baby (Unreal 4).

Unrealistically I'd like to see him start a new PC-centric team with the 2 Bioware guys who just left but that's wishing for an impossibility.

charsace

UT3 bombed on all available platforms because it was a bad game. Edit: Maybe not bad objectively, but certainly disappointing.

How so? Are you talking about the introduction of additional business models and features? If so, does that also mean that console died with the introduction of online multiplayer, DLC and patching? I don't understand your point but maybe we shouldn't talk about it here and go so far off-topic.

I mentioned CliffyB in particular, not Epic as a company in general.

Its obvious that CliffyB supports PC. He was one of the top dogs at Epic. Where they produce and provide great support for a free development kit.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
JCbRf.jpg

Hmmmm...

Top Bottom