• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliffy B's new company seems to be Boss Key Productions, website up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Not much for details, but in case anyone thought he was joining another studio, he's starting his own.

Via: https://twitter.com/supererogatory

bosskey1bkux.png

logoaqsuk.png

Edit:

As a reminder from the last time we heard about this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=733075

Title: Cliffy B says his next game will be a PC-only first person arena shooter

Heard it on Kevin Pereira's podcast on iTunes today, interesting listen.
www.deathsquad.tv/category/kevin-pereira-pointless/

Other tidbits...

-He can't talk in detail about the Epic split, but is still on good terms with some of them.
-Says he's ready to get back in the game and start his own studio.
-Hopes to use Unreal engine.
-Wants to get back to his roots with this project.
-He also speaks highly of the Oculus so the game will probably have support for that.
-Just speculation on my part for this, but I think Kickstarter might be the route he will go.

Curbstomp if old.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Cool name, absolutely terrible logo. Hideous typography and photoshop effects that belong to the 90s. Happy to see Cliffy B back in business however!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Cool name, absolutely terrible logo. Hideous typography and photoshop effects that belong to the 90s. Happy to see Cliffy B back in business however!

It would be pretty fitting in this case!

Title: Cliffy B says his next game will be a PC-only first person arena shooter

Heard it on Kevin Pereira's podcast on iTunes today, interesting listen.
www.deathsquad.tv/category/kevin-pereira-pointless/

Other tidbits...

-He can't talk in detail about the Epic split, but is still on good terms with some of them.
-Says he's ready to get back in the game and start his own studio.
-Hopes to use Unreal engine.
-Wants to get back to his roots with this project.
-He also speaks highly of the Oculus so the game will probably have support for that.
-Just speculation on my part for this, but I think Kickstarter might be the route he will go.

Curbstomp if old.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Is this a key for the Boss room, or a key to switch away from a game when your boss approaches your office/cubicle?

The keyhole in the logo suggests it's the former. (Man, I wonder how many youngins ate familiar with the latter)

Dr Bass

The logo is good, and it's a fitting (and kinda cool) name for a game company. I hope he does well with it.

I suppose the people that think the logo is bad thinks it should be a "flat" monochrome logo that is all the rage these days. Heaven forbid it features a little texture. It's funny how cyclical design trends are, and people will attribute "bad" or "good" depending on where we are in the cycle.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is this a key for the Boss room, or a key to switch away from a game when your boss approaches your office/cubicle?

The keyhole in the logo suggests it's the former. (Man, I wonder how many youngins ate familiar with the latter)

Boss Keys in the latter sense were like only existent when I was really young, so I suspect there are a lot of people who have no clue what they are.

atr0cious

I think Defcon was the last game with the latter. Now, the boss is playing Candy Crush on his phone, so I doubt he'd care. Probably more worried about your Windows 97' laptop being a giant security leak.

Nachos

They really need to ditch those drop shadows. I'm not a fan of the first logo, but doing so would be a big improvement.

The only reason why I know about it is because of the original PC version of N. Were they really prevalent back then?

There's a pretty nice resurgence in arena shooters coming up. Unreal Tournament, Project Nex, Cliffy game, and a bunch of obscure indie ones in development as well.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Finally. Ever since Carmack got into rocket science and space goggles and Cliffy B's retirement, there's been nothing on the arena shooter front.

Based B.

I just wonder if it'll have a gimmick, like GoW cover, or UT vehicles, or if this game is kept pretty hardcore.

Does it need next-gen like gfx to achieve the critical mass necessary to build a massive base, or will Cliffy assemble a "dream-team" to drive hype?

F2P or fifty bucks?

I'm damned excited though.

The logo is good, and it's a fitting (and kinda cool) name for a game company. I hope he does well with it.

I suppose the people that think the logo is bad thinks it should be a "flat" monochrome logo that is all the rage these days. Heaven forbid it features a little texture. It's funny how cyclical design trends are, and people will attribute "bad" or "good" depending on where we are in the cycle.
Yeah, I think the logo is fine and very appropriate name. It's not out to win graphics design awards lol.

I like the logo. If its an arena shooter, it will probably have good concepts. I bet he heard a bunch of good ideas floating around working at Epic, and the guy is talented. It should be good.

First, the insult. Then the jumping of conclusions on the development because of a logo.

lol

It looks like that creativepool website is a crowdsourcing site to hire cheap / freelance work at random. If he doesn't have inhouse artists to do a proper logo that doesn't bode well.

V_Ben

Banned
See, when I saw the logo at first all I could think of was that the company was called 'Wing Key', because it made me crack up.

But Boss Key is probably better.

Acidote

Before someone quotes one of his tweets or anything and the thread goes near full derailing I have to say I wish him the best with his new company. I've had a lot of fun with his previous games and I ask of him nothing more than that. Everything else is pretty much noise around what's important to me.

Game trends are truly fascinating.
Oldschool CRPG's are being revived by industry vets with higly succesful crowdfunding, followed by classic space simulators.
Next year we'll be seeing a new Unreal Tournament and Cliffy B is returning to the genre as well.
I sometimes have to pinch my arm.

Man

Game trends are truly fascinating.
Oldschool CRPG's are being revived by industry vets with higly succesful crowdfunding, followed by classic space simulators.
Next year we'll be seeing a new Unreal Tournament and Cliffy B is returning to the genre as well.
I sometimes have to pinch my arm.
John Carmack and Michael Abrash working together. Mass hysteria.

Cool name, dreadful logo - looks like an Autobot took a shit. There's potential in both logos, but they need a lot of work.

Will be interesting to see what comes of this new company, though.

valeo

Love all these guys that are probably in their 1st year at graphic design school crapping on the logo.

Like someone else said, trends are cyclical. I think the logo is fine, and suits a Cliffy B company (the Michael Bay of video games) just fine

Sounds like the game might be called Bluestreak? That twitter account is linked on the Boss Key page and the header on the Boss Key twitter has "(project_bluestreak)" on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom