• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Climate change report predicts end of human civilisation and climate apocalypse could start by 2050

Paltheos

I don't doubt global warming, but I'm not so sure on the dates given. Maybe we actually do more to avert climate change than I'm aware of to avert these catastrophes, or maybe the models used were never that accurate to begin with.

Things are going to get worse, I think, but I'm not so pessimistic so as to believe we'll completely fuck ourselves. Even today in America, some of the climate change deniers have been changing their tunes, if just a little. Once things start getting worse and awareness rises on this issue, tunes will change. Some shit's definitely gonna get worse though. The wildfires and flooding that I hear about on the news is kinda unreal to me. Like it hasn't really sunk in.

There are roughly 915 million acres of farmland in the USA alone. Utilize just 1% of that for soil regeneration and carbon sequestration and we'd be fine.

If farms combined the practice of rapid-growth forest (which we already do for stands of timber) with carbon sequestration and biomass energy techniques (like using a retort kiln to produce biochar and flammable gas) then we could sequester about 450 million extra tons of carbon per year (using lower-end estimates of a young forest). This estimate omits any carbon saved from using the gasses for energy production.

The problem isn't carbon output versus emission reduction on a per-year basis. We need to find ways to get the carbon back into the soil on a more permanent basis. Biochar has a half-life of a few hundred years, thankfully. Over the course of a single generation, we could simultaneously bring back the rich soil fertility of the American farmlands while going carbon negative. Our topsoil has been stripped of its carbon content, which is both why it was so fertile when we arrived and why our soils are so dead now.

The pearl-clutchers will keep clutching, but I expect thrifty farmers who move away from industrial farming practices will end up quietly fixing the problem for everyone else.
Why bother climate change is made up, honk honk!!!

Seriously good post :)

750182.jpg

My face when Nuclear War begins.

Still cant wait for end of the world in 12 years like AOC said. Apparently she has been trying to say she was joking. This is why people are skeptical of the constant doomsday bullshit.

The Doomsday Book says one date, the Mayan Calander said 2012, some tabloids said 2008 when that Collider was made and I guess Terminator says 2040?

Climate Change will do some damage but I do think it is reversible as the Earth is one reliant Mother.....

I’ll be an old man riding the tidal wave of the melted ice caps like a boss. Going out with style

Or I’ll be dead already.

“World went to shit.” - Children of Men

Hari Seldon

Maybe if Elon put some mirrors on the back of his thousands of satellites he is planning to launch we might be alright lol.

pimentel1

Banned
Godzilla and all his friends will save us from climate change and overpopulation— by stomping on our cities. That’s seriously the plot of Godzilla: King of Monsters. It’s fucking awesome.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Oh, it's a report from a Think Tank. History tells me that they have a blatant agenda which suggests that someone somewhere stands to make a lot of money or gain a lot of power.

Also, that was not a report. That was barely an executive summary for something as important as climate change.

Hell, the footnotes for other reports take up a third of the entire bloody thing and then they pull their predictions out of their ass.

nikolino840

Could you imagine if we lived during one of the many other different points in time where the climate changed naturally, like the ice age? Now we believe the climate can only change again if it is our doing.

I say civilization gets knocked out by disease.
Is not so simple...for example what could happen if we cut all the trees in the world and we continue to issue carbon monixide? (Without the laws of today but with the laws of the 50/60's like,idk,when there was lead in gasoline)

A.Romero

I'm very surprised to find people refuting climate change in GAF. I don't know if the end will start by 2050 but it's clear that we are fucking this planet pretty bad.

Even if the possibility of climate change was real, wouldn't be worth it to use other kind of energy sources? I mean, what's the drawback?

We should be developing alternative energy sources just because oil is a finite resource.

RedVIper

Banned
I'm very surprised to find people refuting climate change in GAF. I don't know if the end will start by 2050 but it's clear that we are fucking this planet pretty bad.

Even if the possibility of climate change was real, wouldn't be worth it to use other kind of energy sources? I mean, what's the drawback?

We should be developing alternative energy sources just because oil is a finite resource.

I haven't seen anyone refuting climate change, just people making jokes at the expense of an alarmist article.

Money for starters. Other power sources have plenty of drawbacks, especially considering a lot of people are against nuclear.

Yes oil is finite literal sense of the word, but I wouldn't expect it to end anytime soon.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I think there's a good chance things won't be as bad as some claim, but it's still incredibly disappointing to see the people who just say "oh, they've been wrong before, we'll be fine" everytime this stuff is brought up.

This isn't just about whether or not you believe in climate change. There's a lot more going on. What about the immense loss of species? The collapse of several types of insects and ecosystems that are documented as happening right now? What about the absurd levels of garbage and plastic waste that we spew into our rivers and ocean on a daily basis. This isn't climate change, it's us. How we always expand, build new roads, make cuts into nature.

Things have changed and you're blindly ignorant if you can't see that. I can see it right outside my door. I live pretty secluded near a forest, and things are so different from when I was young. There are animals and bugs that used to be everywhere then, but I haven't see them in years. The amount of waste that just seems to be everywhere, even if it's just soda cans people for some reason have to throw out of their moving car.

I don't understand how people can care so little about the place they depend on to live.

It makes no sense to me.

And still we're all just waiting for politicians to do something, all the while having an unsustainable level of consumption of goods and clothes, feasting on meat whenever we can, and taking plenty of vacations to new places we can destroy with our litter. It's not that hard to cut back. We don't always need more.

Tesseract

Banned
I think there's a good chance things won't be as bad as some claim, but it's still incredibly disappointing to see the people who just say "oh, they've been wrong before, we'll be fine" everytime this stuff is brought up.

This isn't just about whether or not you believe in climate change. There's a lot more going on. What about the immense loss of species? The collapse of several types of insects and ecosystems that are documented as happening right now? What about the absurd levels of garbage and plastic waste that we spew into our rivers and ocean on a daily basis. This isn't climate change, it's us. How we always expand, build new roads, make cuts into nature.

Things have changed and you're blindly ignorant if you can't see that. I can see it right outside my door. I live pretty secluded near a forest, and things are so different from when I was young. There are animals and bugs that used to be everywhere then, but I haven't see them in years. The amount of waste that just seems to be everywhere, even if it's just soda cans people for some reason have to throw out of their moving car.

I don't understand how people can care so little about the place they depend on to live.

It makes no sense to me.

And still we're all just waiting for politicians to do something, all the while having an unsustainable level of consumption of goods and clothes, feasting on meat whenever we can, and taking plenty of vacations to new places we can destroy with our litter. It's not that hard to cut back. We don't always need more.

kinda seems like you are reinforcing your world view with anecdotal evidence, and then morally grandstanding on top of that

mcz117chief

That's not how it works and if you paid any attention in science class you should know that.
Wow, you convinced me with your bullet proof arguments there, lad. Besides, I was a straight A student in physics and also studied meteorology as an extra.

Last edited:
We had a good run. Actually, I’m kind of excited. How many people get to watch the end of humanity? We’ll have a front row ticket (assuming my diet of hot dogs and whale lard doesn’t kill me first). I easn’t there at the beginning, but by golly, I’ll be there at the end.

Yeah, I admit there's a selfish side of me that finds some appeal in the idea, like if I'm not going to be around forever then mankind may as well not be also.

I know that's terrible, but it is what it is.

It makes no sense to me.

Its not absurd to realise people care so little when the same logic is to throw people away that needs help. Because they are inconvinience to their own growth. Growth that is in their mind infinite.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
kinda seems like you are reinforcing your world view with anecdotal evidence, and then morally grandstanding on top of that

What's your point? Is there no issue in your eyes? Does it not matter that vital insect populations for plants we need to have food are decreasing dramatically? Is it insignificant that birds are now making nests of fishnets, get stuck in them and starve to death?

Again, what's your point? Accusing me of moral grandstanding is the oldest, cheapest and most useless "attack as a defense" tactic in the book.

Wow, you convinced me with your bullet proof arguments there, lad. Besides, I was a straight A student in physics and also studied meteorology as an extra.

I'm not asking you to buy everything said about climate change, I'm saying you should know that's not how it works.

Tesseract

Banned
What's your point? Is there no issue in your eyes? Does it not matter that vital insect populations for plants we need to have food are decreasing dramatically? Is it insignificant that birds are now making nests of fishnets, get stuck in them and starve to death?

Again, what's your point? Accusing me of moral grandstanding is the oldest, cheapest and most useless "attack as a defense" tactic in the book.

I'm not asking you to buy everything said about climate change, I'm saying you should know that's not how it works.

insects are stupid and birds are dinosaurs, both were meant to die

preferably in my mouth

Last edited:

MrRogers

Who cares? With the orwellian nightmare the technocorps and neoliberals are currently cooking up for us, im not sure a mad max world will be any worse, probably be more free really.... reminds me, i got those tires i gotta burn out back

mcz117chief

I know how it works, or rather, know the people who work on this and they always say "most of it is guess work and an attempt to appeal to confirmation biases of certain groups to get more funding" Climatology is a joke, a volcano erupts or the Sun farts and you can wipe your ass with your models because that is all they are worth at that point.

nikolino840

It makes no sense to me.

Honestly the nature Always find a way.. Is'nt the First Mass extinctions,but we are here now..maybe One day the earth create living forms breathing carbon dioxide and die in presence of oxigen

mcz117chief

Honestly the nature Always find a way.. Is'nt the First Mass extinctions,but we are here now..maybe One day the earth create living forms breathing carbon dioxide and die in presence of oxigen
Technically speaking, plants crave carbon dioxide (and electrolytes) and fart oxygen which is lethal to us in higher doses. The world is in a state of balance where one creature needs what the other produces.

Last edited:
Top Bottom