• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloud Gaming with Xbox Game Pass Ultimate Launches with More Than 150 Games

Vasto

X Cloud officially launches Sept 15th in 22 countries as part of Game Pass Ultimate. Also Minecraft Dungeons on X Cloud will be getting some really cool touch controls.

XGP_Announce_16x9_CL_s_Final_JPG.jpg

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Thing is: Im an IPhone user, and I dont live on any of the 22 supported countries.
A shame, but this thing is probably years away from my reach.

MiguelItUp

Not my experience at all I’m afraid :(
Glad it works for you though.

5Ghz WiFi 100Mbps down 10Mbps up on a Galaxy Note 10 and it was nearly unplayable.
Really? Weird. I'm curious about checking it out myself.

I've heard from a number of close pals that it was the closest thing to a flawless experience that they've seen when it comes to stream gaming.

Rikkori

No Gears Tactics? WTF! That's the perfect sort of game for cloud streaming. Did XCOM 2 with GeforceNow and that was the sweeeeeeeeetest thing ever. :alien:

Skifi28

Even 60fps games feel pretty meh with a decent connection and on ethernet. Can't imagine trying to stream a 30fps on a "4G" connection, the horror.

alienator

We've shitted on Onlive, on Gakai, PSnow, on Stadia, on every cloud based game streaming service on this planet for lag and graphics. I tried them all and i hated them all for those reasons, impossible to play any games that require split second input (and sure turn based rpg's work fine)

Dont see how xCloud is gonna change that. its physically impossible to get as little lag as playing local. And i can surely understand people who are fine with it because, gamepass and those millions of hours they are gonna play streaming instead of playing locally, but please, this stuff needs to die.... i loathe it. <end of rant>

I bumped the Beta thread so I'm going to copy my post over to this one:

I've been playing the beta of this and GeForce Now on my s10 phone with a Razer Kishi and I'm getting a Nvidia Shield Pro next month so I'm pretty excited for it. I have 200mb/down and haven't really noticed any latency with xcloud or GeForce now. Bloodstained and Streets of Rage 4 both played great in the xcloud beta.

Portable Slay The Spire for us Android users is kind of a megaton.

Titles I'm personally interested in:
Astroneer
Batman: Arkham Knight
Battle Chasers: Nightwar
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Crosscode
Dead Cells
Dead Island Definitive Edition
Demon’s Tilt
Destiny 2
Forager
Grounded
Halo: The Master Chief Collection
Hot Shot Racing
Journey to the Savage Planet
Lonely Mountains: Downhill
Middle Earth: Shadow of War
Minecraft: Dungeons
Mortal Kombat X (Not available in Korea)
Mount & Blade: Warband
Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden
Neon Abyss
Sea of Thieves: Anniversary Edition
Slay the Spire
Streets of Rage 4
Subnautica
The Elder Scrolls Online
The Outer Worlds
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Void Bastards
Wasteland 3
Yakuza 0
Yakuza Kiwami
Yakuza Kiwami 2

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've really enjoyed xCloud streaming so far, it's a great way to experience Game Pass. My phone plays it just fine, although I'll admit I've only ever used it on WiFi (at home, and at work) as I only have 1GB of data a month on my cell plan and I'm sure this would chew that up in no time flat.

I need to get a Razer Kishi, I've seen photos online of people using it with my same model of phone, and it looks glorious.

Kimahri

Banned
I feel like some parts of the communication could be a lot better. What if I'm not on Android? Can I stream games from the Xbox app on PC tomorrow? Or on console? I'd like to try that out, check if it works okay. If it does then not having to download something is something I'm perfectly fine with. Especially for when I want to just check something out.

No Gears Tactics? WTF! That's the perfect sort of game for cloud streaming. Did XCOM 2 with GeforceNow and that was the sweeeeeeeeetest thing ever. :alien:
Probably when it launches on Xbox in a couple of months.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What if I'm not on Android? Can I stream games from the Xbox app on PC tomorrow? Or on console?
Sadly, not yet. Also iOS support is famously missing.

Right now it is only available on Android, but I feel like they made that clear in their messaging.

I need to get a Razer Kishi, I've seen photos online of people using it with my same model of phone, and it looks glorious.

Buy the Android version, don't spend $20 for the same thing with xbox buttons. I love mine and use it daily. Usb C charging passthrough is amazing.

i think you can sideload apk to fire stick etc.

in addition, for anyone interested, there is a pc beta that streams to pc from your Xbox

Xcloud beta didn't run well on firestick or firestick 4k, it did run well on Nvidia shield tv though which is why I'm getting one.

Last edited:

jshackles

Buy the Android version, don't spend $20 for the same thing with xbox buttons. I love mine and use it daily. Usb C charging passthrough is amazing.
Just placed the order a minute ago, my man. Sadly says it's back ordered and won't ship for another six weeks. :(

Should have listened to my gut and ordered one sooner.

Alx

This gets real when they launch good smart tv apps... (or an XCloud streaming box/stick)

Can't it work with all the android thingies that already exist for media streaming ? (I'm not too familiar with those, tbh… nor with the required specs to run xCloud)
*edit - I see it's been discussed in the previous messages. Ignore my question. :p

Last edited:
Just placed the order a minute ago, my man. Sadly says it's back ordered and won't ship for another six weeks. :(

Should have listened to my gut and ordered one sooner.
From the Razer site? I don't see anything about them being backordered there. That's where I got mine like a month ago. Amazon is backed up, I know.

jshackles

From the Razer site? I don't see anything about them being backordered there. That's where I got mine like a month ago. Amazon is backed up, I know.
You know, I didn't even think to look there. Just ordered directly from Razer, thanks for the heads up!

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Being Android Only is such a massive limitation. Even if they had iOS support, mobile only sucks.

I'd use this to quickly check stuff out before installing if I could do it on my PC or Xbox.

I think MS is not wanting to push 4k gaming into the cloud yet, and is going to focus on mobile because they plan on being 1080p or below.. even for the next gen cloud.. I think that'll be XSS based.. and they'll continue to be mobile only for a long time.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

This being included at no extra cost to GPU is actually insane. There's just no way that stadia or something like it can compete, and this includes so many games.
Stadia streams 4k to a TV... or can stream to a PC.

xCloud is 720p Android only..

I do agree the xCloud "model" makes Stadia sound like a terrible value, but xCloud is useless to anyone who doesn't want to play games meant for consoles on a 4 inch phone screen.

Schmick

We've shitted on Onlive, on Gakai, PSnow, on Stadia, on every cloud based game streaming service on this planet for lag and graphics. I tried them all and i hated them all for those reasons, impossible to play any games that require split second input (and sure turn based rpg's work fine)

Dont see how xCloud is gonna change that. its physically impossible to get as little lag as playing local. And i can surely understand people who are fine with it because, gamepass and those millions of hours they are gonna play streaming instead of playing locally, but please, this stuff needs to die.... i loathe it. <end of rant>
I just completed TLoU on PS Now for PC. I have no compliants about my experience.

IntentionalPun

Most people don't play split-second decision games.

Believe me, I hope the entire concept of cloud gaming fails.. but it works pretty damn well for most games for most people on a good connection.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Can you play with lte?
That's how I usually play at work. Great supplemental way to play. I think the true unsung hero is the console streaming. It's really awesome being able to play my Xbox on my phone in bed.

Racing and fighting games are more hit or miss when your not on good wifi though.

jshackles

I think MS is not wanting to push 4k gaming into the cloud yet, and is going to focus on mobile because they plan on being 1080p or below.. even for the next gen cloud.. I think that'll be XSS based.. and they'll continue to be mobile only for a long time.
For what it's worth, earlier this year they said they will be upgrading xCloud servers with Series X hardware next year.

So I suspect that they're keeping the service somewhat limited until that happens. I strongly suspect that once the data centers are upgraded, they'll start rolling out proper TV apps, a console app for Xbox, and a proper PC client. They'd be stupid not to.

Ultimately, I feel like xCloud streaming could be baked into the Xbox UI to allow people to start streaming a game while also installing it in the background. Pick a game from your library, push install, start playing instantly. Then at some point, when the download is done, switch over to playing the local copy (bonus points to them if they can make this transition seamless).

supernova8

Banned
So it's like $15 per month for GP Ultimate right?

Is there anything like a GP Ultimate 'family pack' where you can have two instances on one account or something for a small extra fee (like an extra $5 a month or something)?

Could see that being pretty popular for families. Dad is playing video games in the lounge, kids are playing upstairs. Wonder if the numbers would work for Microsoft.
Like, no need to buy your son his own console, just add $5 onto your monthly GP bill and he gets to play as much as he wants independent of what you're playing.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

For what it's worth, earlier this year they said they will be upgrading xCloud servers with Series X hardware next year.

I'm aware; I am betting they backtrack to XSS hardware (which wasn't announced at the time.)

At the very least, I would bet:

- 4k streaming will cost you more
- If you aren't 4k streaming, you'll be on XSS hardware

Last edited:

jshackles

So it's like $15 per month for GP Ultimate right?

Is there anything like a GP Ultimate 'family pack' where you can have two instances on one account or something for a small extra fee (like an extra $5 a month or something)?

Could see that being pretty popular for families. Dad is playing video games in the lounge, kids are playing upstairs. Wonder if the numbers would work for Microsoft.
Like, no need to buy your son his own console, just add $5 onto your monthly GP bill and he gets to play as much as he wants independent of what you're playing.
Not for streaming (yet), but this is already possible on console for no additional charge. My son plays on the One S console I used to have, that's set as my primary account. He's logged in with his own account. He can play all of my digital games, including those available on Game Pass.

That being said, it be nice for people to save a couple of bucks on a bundled streaming only plan.

supernova8

Banned
Yeah see my edit.

I think at the very least

- 4k streaming will cost you more
- If you aren't 4k streaming, you'll be on XSS hardware

I wouldn't want to stream in 4K. We barely have local 4K gaming tied down.
If they can give me a crisp 1080p stream with next to zero latency I'd call it a success.

supernova8

Banned
Not for streaming (yet), but this is already possible on console for no additional charge. My son plays on the One S console I used to have, that's set as my primary account. He's logged in with his own account. He can play all of my digital games, including those available on Game Pass.

That being said, it be nice for people to save a couple of bucks on a bundled streaming only plan.

Oh yeah that's pretty cool, but I guess you'd still need to get a console but perhaps they're considering it. I suppose once you get to streaming from anywhere on any device, the only 'family' thing sort of loses relevance.

Tried a couple games in the beta and immediately noped out. Input lag and user experience was too much.

It is not nearly as seamless as it should be. Starting up a game involves minutes of watching some spaceship loading screen, followed by game loading, followed by logins and whatnot.

The Netflix of gaming this is not. They shouldn't have bothered until they had SSDs installed in all of the servers.

Even then, why does it take a minute to start up a stream? Imagine if clicking every youtube video involved a minute or more of buffering before it started the ads. You may say its for firing up a server blade, but you go through this every time you change games.... That is a terrible for what should be seamless experience and it will turn people off.

I was going to use this to demo some games but its not worth the effort to break out my phone, log onto an app, select a game, watch a spaceship load for a minute, then load a game for it then to play like that on a tiny screen.

Also why is xCloud not available on the Xbox itself?

oldergamer

Tried a couple games in the beta and immediately noped out. Input lag and user experience was too much.

It is not nearly as seamless as it should be. Starting up a game involves minutes of watching some spaceship loading screen, followed by game loading, followed by logins and whatnot.

The Netflix of gaming this is not. They shouldn't have bothered until they had SSDs installed in all of the servers.

Even then, why does it take a minute to start up a stream? Imagine if clicking every youtube video involved a minute or more of buffering before it started the ads. You may say its for firing up a server blade, but you go through this every time you change games.... That is a terrible for what should be seamless experience and it will turn people off.

I was going to use this to demo some games but its not worth the effort to break out my phone, log onto an app, select a game, watch a spaceship load for a minute, then load a game for it then to play like that on a tiny screen.

Also why is xCloud not available on the Xbox itself?
did you ever think the issue was on your end? not only that, but some of the stuff you said, doesn't make any sense.

Top Bottom