• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloud Gaming with Xbox Game Pass Ultimate Launches with More Than 150 Games

Agent X

When are they catching up to PSNow.... I mean 150+ V.s. 650+, this is a pathetic service for a pathetic fan base, demand better from MS, or you will keep getting crap.

The game count on Microsoft's service is about the same as where Sony's was when it started. I assume that not all Xbox Game Pass games can be included immediately, due to licensing issues. Give it more time, and it they should surely add many of the missing games, along with other new games, just as PS Now did as it grew and expanded.

The bigger problem that Microsoft needs to address is that their service is (for now) only available on mobile phones. More on this in a moment.

Back to PS Now...

Well, most PS3 games and just streaming at 720p ...

Out of over 900 games, the breakdown is (approximately) 550 PS3 games (available for streaming only) and 350 PS4 games (available for either download or streaming). The majority of the games are PS3 games, yes, but labeling it "most" is a stretch.

The biggest issue with PSNow, as a consumer, is the lack of access. I have zero interest in buying a PS4 (or any Playstation for that matter) or a Windows computer just to stream the one Sony game I would like to try.

If you're only interested in one game (out of over 900) on the service, then it really isn't for you.

PS Now and Xcloud do not allow a user to arbitrarily purchase a single game and stream it without a subscription. This is one of the things Stadia got right.

Why should you have to buy a system just to stream a game that it can play natively? Sony logic I guess.

You don't have to buy a system, if you have a Windows PC. (Judging by your comment above, you don't.)

Anyway, there are many reasons why you might want to stream a game on a console that could play it natively. You get near instantaneous access, with no waiting for the game to download and install. This is convenient if you just want to "try" a game on impulse, or you have a guest over and he wants to play something right away. Also, if you are low on available hard drive space, then you don't have to clear off space before downloading.

This is why it's surprising that Xcloud isn't available on the Xbox One systems themselves. It would certainly beat having to play the games on a mobile phone.

PSNow is not available on Android, MacOS, Linux, iOS, or any of the smart tv systems, so I literally have no way to access it.

That's a valid point. Sony really needs to expand PS Now availability to all of these other devices.

It used to be, even on smart TVs... I don't know why Sony decided to stop the distribution of their service on these devices (along iOS and Android), maybe they could not figure out how to sell to these people? (or there just aren't that many).

Technical reasons. When Sony added PS4 games to PS Now, Sony updated the codecs and improved streaming quality. PS3, PS Vita, smart TVs, smart Blu-ray players either didn't have the processing muscle to handle the updated codecs effectively, or they could hypothetically handle the codecs, but it would have taken too much effort to update them for such little payoff.

What both Microsoft and Sony should focus on is getting their respective services on smart TV and streaming media devices. These services need to be on Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV (good luck with this), Anrdoid TV, Chromecast, and anything else that can attach to a TV set. So many people are celebrating the ability to "play console quality games on an Android phone", but most of the available games are impractical on a small screen with touch controls. Believe me, I know from experience. These games are best enjoyed on a big screen with tactile controls in hand.

Bryank75

Banned
Oh I fully expect this(Gen9) to be the Last traditional console generation as we know it. Either all digital after this or all streaming

Maybe for Xbox but it is PlayStations bread & butter and they will not stop making consoles.

They will actually become more important as streaming services battle it out for a few low profit customers... and fracture the content into 6-10 different services, consoles and PC will offer the only unified experience with almost all the content in one place and a consistent experience.

People like Strauss Zelnick do not like streaming and subscription services and other major publishers like Activision, Namco and Capcom may let one or two of their games eventually go to streaming but will always be primarily console based.

The only real reason people get GamePass is cause they can get a year for a dollar or very cheap quite often. The model is not sustainable and people must realize that. Right now they take a loss to get people in the door.

In the future you will have a small group that use streaming that all experience the same games from a limited pool and you will have people who game on console who can pick and choose what they like and still get great AAA story driven games.

What both Microsoft and Sony should focus on is getting their respective services on smart TV and streaming media devices.
Yes, just tell the controllers and let them pair up with the TVs (or Android boxes/Apple TVs).
The game count on Microsoft's service is about the same as where Sony's was when it started. I assume that not all Xbox Game Pass games can be included immediately, due to licensing issues. Give it more time, and it they should surely add many of the missing games, along with other new games, just as PS Now did as it grew and expanded.
Yes, but Sony was not competing with an existing market (or at least not the same as MS).

Bryank75

Banned
What both Microsoft and Sony should focus on is getting their respective services on smart TV and streaming media devices. These services need to be on Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV (good luck with this), Anrdoid TV, Chromecast, and anything else that can attach to a TV set. So many people are celebrating the ability to "play console quality games on an Android phone", but most of the available games are impractical on a small screen with touch controls. Believe me, I know from experience. These games are best enjoyed on a big screen with tactile controls in hand.

Why? Consoles are cheap.... if someone really wanted to play one of the games, they would have got a console by now.

Streaming to a billion devices is going to make little to no difference. People spend more money on stupid shit every day than a console and they are incredible value.

The fact is that there is no drive to play these games on streaming, the only people using that type of service are console gamers already...and are just trying to get a bit further in a game while at work because most of the games on these services are grindy GAAS.

The only reason GP got to 10 million is cause they practically gave it away and it then became an easy way to boost up your gamerscore or what it looks like you have played. There is no appetite at sustainable prices.

You can already go into a digital sale and get 5 good games for 20 euro or a 3 month old AAA game for 20-30. Most people also get 2 free games with gold or PS+..... and Switch offers better games and a more consistent mobile gaming experience than any streaming or subscription service.

How so I have PSN lol its for Sony to prove their service is worthwhile not us, not you.
I don't use any of these services, but given what they have on offer I can see PSN as being the better value--by far.

And effectively, this is Sony's role to show their products and services are valuable to us, just like MS... but because MS keeps telling you their service is worthwhile does not make it true.

Agent X

Yes, just tell the controllers and let them pair up with the TVs (or Android boxes/Apple TVs).

That's exactly how I envision that it would work.

Also, the controllers need to be affordably priced, considering that someone relying on this feature probably doesn't own a game console already.

Using Stadia as a real-world example, if you want to play games on TV using a Chromecast Ultra, then you must purchase a $70 Stadia controller. That's not affordable. Having to pay $70 for a controller is a huge deterrent for most casual gamers.

Why? Consoles are cheap.... if someone really wanted to play one of the games, they would have got a console by now.

That's true for a lot of people, but that's because there isn't a viable alternative. I believe there is room for streaming games to smart TVs and media players, but it needs to be addressed properly, with good pricing and the appropriate games. Some games are much better suited to streaming than others.

Streaming to a billion devices is going to make little to no difference. People spend more money on stupid shit every day than a console and they are incredible value.

The fact is that there is no drive to play these games on streaming, the only people using that type of service are console gamers already...and are just trying to get a bit further in a game while at work because most of the games on these services are grindy GAAS.

You're right, but again this is because so many of the major players aren't addressing this market appropriately.

I remember when Stadia was announced, and Xcloud was announced, we saw all of these armchair analysts crawl out of the woodwork to proclaim the Good News. Many of these people previously scoffed at other streaming services...but suddenly, when their favorite company embraced the concept, they did a 180° turn. They proudly boasted how streaming is "the future of gaming", and that their chosen service du jour has the magic formula, and will quickly be embraced by 2 billion potential gamers as the most righteous savior of the industry.

You said, "the only people using that type of service are console gamers already". Exactly, that's one of the biggest problems. These companies are preaching to the choir.

For all of this talk about "opening the market to 2 billion potential gamers" (i.e. the mobile phone market), I've got a revelation: THESE PEOPLE CAN ALREADY PLAY GAMES ON THEIR MOBILE PHONES. There are all types of games on mobile devices, and we can see (through decades of history) why certain games work better than others. Most of the successful mobile games are simple "pick up and play" diversions that are cheap (or free), easy to understand, have easily accessible control schemes, and can be enjoyed in the span of 15 minutes or less. Transplanting a typical console game to a mobile phone fails to fulfill many or all of these criteria.

The only reason GP got to 10 million is cause they practically gave it away and it then became an easy way to boost up your gamerscore or what it looks like you have played. There is no appetite at sustainable prices.

I agree. We'll see what happens in the long run, if those bargain hunters will pay $15/month to keep the service once the promo has run its course.

You can already go into a digital sale and get 5 good games for 20 euro or a 3 month old AAA game for 20-30. Most people also get 2 free games with gold or PS+..... and Switch offers better games and a more consistent mobile gaming experience than any streaming or subscription service.

The last part (about Switch) is a very good point. It again underscores why the notion of streaming console games to a mobile phone is a narrow niche, and will continue to be a narrow niche until someone offers the right mix of mobile-friendly games at the right price. Most people aren't inclined to buy and tote around a separate controller just to play games...and those who are inclined already have a Switch or some other dedicated portable system to satisfy their needs.

I hit the cast button on my phone and got Xcloud to stream to my tv via chromecast effortlessly. I tried Gears 5 online, and too much lag to enjoy competitive multi, but single player games worked great.

Not my experience at all I’m afraid :(
Glad it works for you though.

5Ghz WiFi 100Mbps down 10Mbps up on a Galaxy Note 10 and it was nearly unplayable.
Really?

I was able to get Sea of Theives to work perfectly on a little walmart, budget Onn tablet. And that thing didn't even have a 5GHz radio in it. Just 2.4GHz.

Sleepwalker

How do I take part in this?

1. Be in an eligible country
2. Have an android device
3. Have GPU
4. Download the app

Hopefully this comes out for the xbox one (eventually), smart tvs and other devices, who knows, maybe even the switch. It would actually be awesome for it to be on the switch.

Last edited:
1. Be in an eligible country
2. Have an android device
3. Have GPU
4. Download the app

Hopefully this comes out for the xbox one (eventually), smart tvs and other devices, who knows, maybe even the switch. It would actually be awesome for it to be on the switch.
Ah ok thanks. Only have iPhone 😞

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Ah ok thanks. Only have iPhone 😞

tenor.gif

I can see an Xbox 4G/LTE/5G dongle coming in the near future. Literally an impulse buy/cheap USB stick and plug it into your TV to instantly play. Off you go with a library of games, I suppose the controller is the block to easy entry. It's a seriously enticing entry point into gaming and Xbox. I'm a little surprised they didn't announce a dongle now I think about it.

Super happy with the inclusion with GP ultimate, it's the best thing in gaming right now. Keep up the brilliant work there Xbox.

EDIT: Hella interesting to see no Halo/343 box art or name mentioned in any of the advertising or headlines. It's for the best right and understandable but I also think it really shows a maturity to Xbox/GP/xCloud that the library is way bigger then Halo these days. I'm quite happy about that and the offering of games right out of the gate.

Last edited:
I don't use any of these services, but given what they have on offer I can see PSN as being the better value--by far.

And effectively, this is Sony's role to show their products and services are valuable to us, just like MS... but because MS keeps telling you their service is worthwhile does not make it true.
Its not just MS, its gamers the web over, some who even love Sony who have said to them gamepass is providing a fantastic value. You can't deal with that. I think if Xbox gamers had thin skin non would post here, where the slightest bit of good Xbox news is dragged through the mud.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I can see an Xbox 4G/LTE/5G dongle coming in the near future. Literally an impulse buy/cheap USB stick and plug it into your TV to instantly play. Off you go with a library of games, I suppose the controller is the block to easy entry. It's a seriously enticing entry point into gaming and Xbox. I'm a little surprised they didn't announce a dongle now I think about it.

Super happy with the inclusion with GP ultimate, it's the best thing in gaming right now. Keep up the brilliant work there Xbox.

My guess is they dont want to take wind off the sails for the XSS release and will be hoping they will be able to capture some of that casual audience with the XSS + xbox all access before they start rolling out even cheaper solutions.

Right now you are able to stream on a phone or on a tablet, but the moment you put those games on a very low end PC or a smart TV, the most casual audience will naturally gravitate towards those solutions.

I'm sure it's on the way (and maybe even coming to the switch eventually) but right now they don't want to give some people a reason not to buy the XSS.

My guess is they dont want to take wind off the sails for the XSS release and will be hoping they will be able to capture some of that casual audience with the XSS + xbox all access before they start rolling out even cheaper solutions.

Right now you are able to stream on a phone or on a tablet, but the moment you put those games on a very low end PC or a smart TV, the most casual audience will naturally gravitate towards those solutions.

I'm sure it's on the way (and maybe even coming to the switch eventually) but right now they don't want to give some people a reason not to buy the XSS.

Fair call and sounds more than reasonable too. Good point mate.

some who even love Sony who have said to them gamepass is providing a fantastic value.
"some".

It has nothing to do with Sony vs MS, the service just makes no sense if you stop and take a minute to calculate its total cost over 5 years and how much it would cost you to buy the same games (most are pretty cheap by now, and if you only take those who interest you... which to be honest over 150 games very few actually truly interest anyone enough to warrant a purchase).

But if you needed to get one and you have a playstation and PC/xbox I don't see how someone would end up getting gamepass over PSNow (obviously some people are just not able to think straight, I can't account for that).

Gravemind

Threads like this make me want to backseat mod, silly salty sony fanboys. but buut but psn. who cares this isnt a psn thread, Maybe gp gets more cred cause ppl like the service. Maybe these ppl like what xbox offers. Some Sony fans spend more time talking xbox than playing playstation.

PSN is fucking dog shit. I'd be salty too if I was stuck paying for that trash.

Iced Arcade

Worked damn near flawless at work on the companies public wifi. Played right through Gears 5 (using the Xbox controller and plastic clip thing).

I can't comment on using it on a mobility network... I'm not using my data or playing games out roaming around.

xion4360

tried it today, this is pretty cool....definitely not for real gaming because there is a little bit of added lag, but games like tell me why, or telltale games, point and click adventure or in general games that are not very defendant on fast response work great! and being able to use a dualshock to play xbox games is cool. No downloads just a short wait for the game to launch is fantastic..and youre getting this at no extra cost. :messenger_horns:

DavidGzz

I don't have a phone that can output to HDMI or I'd jump in. Will wait for the Windows app. Cloud gaming is amazing. GE Force Now is great as well.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
It's really surprising how little latency there actually is, I was blown away to be honest.

Yeah, it works great. Just like GeForce now, ps now, Stadia, and Shadow...cloud gaming is great. Got to finish the Minecraft dungeon dlc today with my nephew.
He used his chromebook and I was on my phone....good times.

DavidGzz

You're probably right, but unless Microsoft can increase the speed of light it's always going to be a subpar experience compared to playing on local hardware.

Have you tried GE Force Now? I notice ZERO lag. I spin the mouse cursor and it is 1:1 to my movement the same as when I tab out to my home desktop. Shit is crazy. I hated cloud going with Onlive, but it's crazy good now.

Last edited:
Messed around with it today testing out my save on wasteland 3 through wifi and it worked fine. This is gonna be a great way to play while football is on in the background. Like, this is going to save me when I'm "visiting" friends and family. Just gonna keep a controller in the car.

Because Windows computers can already play Xbox games natively, whereas smartphones cannot. In addition, the mobile market is larger, and Microsoft's mindshare in the mobile market is low overall. Microsoft had encouraging Xcloud usage in Korea, and I assume they would want to replicate that in Japan and Western Europe.
True but my shitty lappy can't play games but does have a strong connection to the internet. Using my lappy on xcloud would be my primary way to play pc only games (gears tactics or flight sim as of now for example).

Last edited:
Halo master chief collection was flawless 60fps, Gears felt like 30fps.

Who has found a good way to stream on tv not using firestick or shield device

cryptoadam

Banned
PSNow has improved alot but could use a bit more first party love but sony knows they can sell their games.

PSNow though used to suck. Now its way better but I think sony doesnt push it because they want to sell single units instead of subs.

Shmunter

PSNow has improved alot but could use a bit more first party love but sony knows they can sell their games.

PSNow though used to suck. Now its way better but I think sony doesnt push it because they want to sell single units instead of subs.
Or alienate support from retail. This may still matter more than many think.

xion4360

Halo master chief collection was flawless 60fps, Gears felt like 30fps.

Who has found a good way to stream on tv not using firestick or shield device

On my note 20 I tried screen mirroring, too much latency
then tried DEX and it was a bit better but still more latency than playing on the phone. totally doable for some games tho...and not 60 fps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom