• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drama Clown World ūü§°ūüĆé |HONK| Visits to this thread may adversely affect your faith in humanity

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014
This Guardian journalist thinks calling the corona virus the Chinese virus promotes racism. She also suggests that China shouldn't be blamed for the outbreak:

Coughing while Asian': living in fear as racism feeds off coronavirus panic

Racist incidents are increasing while Trump promotes racism by calling coronavirus ‚Äėthe Chinese virus‚Äô

Chou knows her experience was not an anomaly. Across the US, Chinese Americans, and other Asians, are increasingly living in fear as the coronavirus spreads across the country amid racial prejudice that the outbreak is somehow the fault of China. It is a fear grounded in racism, but also promoted from the White House as Donald Trump ‚Äď and his close advisers ‚Äď insist on calling it ‚Äúthe Chinese virus‚ÄĚ.

Looks as if another leftwing western journalist is happy to stand up for China while the death toll continues to rise.

Last edited:

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008

Pissed at Trump because some people drank aquarium cleaner. The worst part is these people weren't even sick, but confused chloroquine phosphate (aquarium cleaner which they apparently diluted in water and drank) with hydroxychloroquine.
They walked it back after smearing the President, doesn't matter, the damage is done and people will continue to blame President Trump, because they are as stupid as this story and couple who consumed the fish tank cleaner.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Oct 2, 2018
This Guardian journalist thinks calling the corona virus the Chinese virus promotes racism. She also suggests that China shouldn't be blamed for the outbreak:

Racist incidents are increasing while Trump promotes racism by calling coronavirus ‚Äėthe Chinese virus‚Äô

Chou knows her experience was not an anomaly. Across the US, Chinese Americans, and other Asians, are increasingly living in fear as the coronavirus spreads across the country amid racial prejudice that the outbreak is somehow the fault of China. It is a fear grounded in racism, but also promoted from the White House as Donald Trump ‚Äď and his close advisers ‚Äď insist on calling it ‚Äúthe Chinese virus‚ÄĚ.

Looks as if another leftwing western journalist is happy to stand up for China while the death toll continues to rise.
Amazing. On the day when the number if confirmed cases goes over 400,000, most of the western world gets confined to their homes and the death toll speeds towards 20,000, The Guardian asks "is Racism the real problem here".

Let's lead with a photo of people all bunched up together holding a mass protest! You know, since that's definitely what people should be doing right now.

Arseholes.

-Troid-

Dec 12, 2019
I get that people don't want others to freak out about people of Asian descent coughing (really at this point anyone coughing could be an issue), but all this trying to ignore the obvious fact that the virus originated from China is silly.

In January I went to a mall and noticed there were seemingly a lot of people there who could've been Chinese tourists as they were speaking Chinese, and at the time I had read about both the virus and the fact that people from China were traveling due to New Years celebrations, so I decided to try and keep my distance from anyone speaking Chinese.

I bring this up because I was having a conversation with my dad about it and he started giving me a lecture about not how not only Chinese people get it; completely missing my point about how it was months ago when the virus was primarilly still only in China. I don't care if it were a similar situation but started in Sweden, if it did and I was around someone speaking Swedish I'd still try to maintain distance.

Now pretty much anyone could have it because it's been spreading, but the news media and people (my dad included) are trying to pretend it was always like that and didn't have a specific origin. It's annoying because you know if this shit started in the US we'd be getting our shit pushed in by everyone wanting us to pay up for the economic damages.

MetalAlien

Mar 6, 2005

STOP EATING WEIRD SHIT ASIANS!

SpartanN92

Gold Member
Sep 7, 2012
US
The problem isn’t even that they were eating weird shit. They’ve been doing that for millennia and this is a once in probably 500 year+ event that a virus mutated with such tenacity the way it did in this case. It was a random 1/trillion chance (though I agree they should stop eating bats and whatever other nasty ass animals come to their minds)

The REAL issue and the reason everyone on earth should be calling it the China Virus is because of the Chinese Communist Party’s reaction to the virus. They could have contained it, but they lied about it, they imprisoned, tortured and likely executed Doctors, Nurses and journalists who tried to warn the world. They allowed their stupid Chinese New Year gatherings to happen which spread the virus exponentially.

I feel bad for any Asian person experiencing discrimination right now as a result of this but frankly in the grand scheme of what has happened such as Trillions of $ lost, Hundreds of thousands of Job losses, Likely millions sick and tens of thousands dead (that’s probably gonna get way higher too) a Chinese person getting a sideways glance because they coughed is the least of anyone’s concerns.

Last edited:

crumbs

Jun 7, 2004
70% of the cases are male

"COVID-19 is a gendered crisis"

Uh huh.

Source

Oh. Hmm. I wonder...

Yup.
What a coincidence, that's the same outfit I wear when I make a big, important presentations at work. It was hard to find in a man's size, but it was totally worth it.

Grinchy

Aug 3, 2010
a cave outside of Whoville.

Uh huh.

Source

Oh. Hmm. I wonder...

Yup.
I never realized those industries were such "girl's clubs." They must have been keeping men out for a long time. We need to start pushing these fields on men to even the playing field.

MetalAlien

Mar 6, 2005
The problem isn’t even that they were eating weird shit. They’ve been doing that for millennia and this is a once in probably 500 year+ event that a virus mutated with such tenacity the way it did in this case. It was a random 1/trillion chance (though I agree they should stop eating bats and whatever other nasty ass animals come to their minds)

The REAL issue and the reason everyone on earth should be calling it the China Virus is because of the Chinese Communist Party’s reaction to the virus. They could have contained it, but they lied about it, they imprisoned, tortured and likely executed Doctors, Nurses and journalists who tried to warn the world. They allowed their stupid Chinese New Year gatherings to happen which spread the virus exponentially.

I feel bad for any Asian person experiencing discrimination right now as a result of this but frankly in the grand scheme of what has happened such as Trillions of $ lost, Hundreds of thousands of Job losses, Likely millions sick and tens of thousands dead (that’s probably gonna get way higher too) a Chinese person getting a sideways glance because they coughed is the least of anyone’s concerns.
Oh it's part of the problem.... all the other shit just makes dealing with it harder.

These fuckers eat this thing....

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May 30, 2004

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
She ran for office in Colorado, so she exists at least:

Funny how in the UK we've had two female prime ministers from our right wing party who didn't particularly make a big thing of being female, and have an Asian chancellor who doesn't make a big thing of being Asian (nor does anyone give a shit - though he did get a load of abuse in tea-gate leading to the "you're shouting at tea" moment). The right does a better job of representing the disadvantaged than the left it seems, despite giving zero shits about identity politics. It's a funny old world.

Dec 15, 2011
Funny how in the UK we've had two female prime ministers from our right wing party who didn't particularly make a big thing of being female, and have an Asian chancellor who doesn't make a big thing of being Asian (nor does anyone give a shit - though he did get a load of abuse in tea-gate leading to the "you're shouting at tea" moment). The right does a better job of representing the disadvantaged than the left it seems, despite giving zero shits about identity politics. It's a funny old world.
Bingo.

You couldn't get a clearer example of 'accuse the other side of that which you are guilty' in current-day [identity] politics if you tried.

crumbs

Jun 7, 2004

Durask

Feb 6, 2012
The author of this piece has a patreon, 137 people have been helping her almost make her rent. Her website also has some interesting writing and , uhh, artwork for the "Momrades" fighting for queer communism
I really wish we could send them all to the Soviet Union of old where they could get the taste of real communism.
And not even real nasty communism like Stalin, even post Stalin USSR will be good enough

Dec 15, 2011

Uh huh.

Source

Oh. Hmm. I wonder...

Yup.
Never one to jump on / create a narrative, the BBC have a video piece on "Coping with coronavirus anxiety".

No. This isn't a study on the practice of endless fearmongering by mainstream media, sadly. That would take a degree of responsibility and self awareness.
For example, here's the BBC's homepage. Gee. Why might people be getting anxious?

Far easier to double-down on how people who suffer anxiety are REALLY REALLY anxious due to all this talk of coronavirus.

Staying true to the narrative - and the reason I quoted myself - the piece at the BBC makes sure to only interview women with existing anxiety issues.