• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

clown world contender: Ikea forced to apologize for jerk chicken and peas

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018

and

outrage culture is at the point where they are complaining about green peas instead of beans being served with chicken.

OptimusApex

Formerly 'AfricanKing' ... purposely obtuse
Jul 16, 2017
If they're gonna appropriate jerk chicken and rice and peas at least do it right.

Rice is all wrong and they used fucking green peas.

And I guarantee that's just bbq jerk sauce on the chicken cooked in an oven.

Reactions: Shad0w59

DragoonKain

Nov 13, 2013
Of all the crazy shit people have done, "cultural appropriation" is right up there. There is no logical argument to be made for it whatsoever. As dumb as pronouns are, at least with those you can make an argument that you want people to feel accepted in society so throw some of these people a bone, as crazy as that is. But cultural appropriation? I haven't heard anyone make an actual argument as to why it makes sense. Just "you shouldn't do this!" Ummm why? "Because you shouldn't! It's not right!"

I guess they can't serve pizza btw either, because that isn't Swedish.

It doesn't exist, it isn't real.

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
If they're gonna appropriate jerk chicken and rice and peas at least do it right.

They don't even do Swedish meatballs right and they're a Swedish company. What makes your preferred class special?

OptimusApex

Jul 16, 2017
They don't even do Swedish meatballs right and they're a Swedish company. What makes your preferred class special?
Jerk chicken with Rice and Peas is a far superior dish than meatballs .. it's on a whole new level of special.

That's why everyone tries to make their own version and fails.

• LOL
Reactions: brap and slugbahr

triplestation

Dec 23, 2008
NYC
i dont think this is a big deal

here in america we make tacos with the hard shells with iceberg lettuce and ground beef and shredded american cheese

it's of mexican influence but it's widely known as an american thing

definitely not the real thing and everyone knows it's not the real thing, but it's still great

just don't expect authentic jerk chicken at fucking ikea lmao

if it tastes good it tastes good, and at the same time you can recognize it as inauthentic

nkarafo

Nov 30, 2012
I still don't get this cultural appropriation thing. Is it like a copyright or something?

Also, does it only apply to white westerners for some reason?

We don't have that shit in my country (yet) thankfully.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018

Why should anyone care?

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
damn that's insane. i can't imagine jerk chicken being disallowed anywhere but the Caribbean.

hey at least they can still eat their balls.

Miku Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
you should basically never apologize in life to anyone that isn't your friend or family

exceptions to this rule are rare and had at your own peril
nah. In real life in interactions with 98% of the population, apologizing if you felt remorse for something you did is fine.

SJWs are not everyone.

Corderlain

Jun 12, 2018

Did you change your name because it made it too obvious you were a massive racist and race baiter? Probably should have just gone with an Al Sharpton tag.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Oct 2, 2018
It's crazy the extent to which Twitter and other social media can start and perpetuate outrage.

In my mind, the food at Ikea is like something you'd maybe want to grab real quick while you've been shopping there? Just like going to the food court at a mall or similar. It's not like you are making a reservation, dressing up real nice and taking your date to an expensive restaurant only to find that the food is a total disaster.

You grab a tray and the staff give you a bit of chicken, a big spoonful of rice, throw a bit of sauce on it and you are on your way.

I'm not even seeing where there is scope for "offense" or "backlash" there. Like, yeah, you are dining at IKEA for fucksakes. It's not going to be an authentic dish from a top chef. It costs less than 7 pounds!

It's almost kind of sad imagining someone going into Ikea and seeing this on their shitty menu and getting legitimately excited only to realize that it's rice and green peas then being so upset by it that IKEA ends up saying "sorry".

Totally pathetic.

Reactions: matt404au

OptimusApex

Jul 16, 2017
Did you change your name because it made it too obvious you were a massive racist and race baiter? Probably should have just gone with an Al Sharpton tag.
Who gives a fuck .. it's a username you loser

Oct 26, 2018
And real Chinese isn't take out fried rice, chicken balls, and chop suey with a fortune cookie at the end. Indian restaurant's serving chicken tikka masala isn't real Indian food either. And I've never seen one Asian person complain in Toronto.

You know how it goes with minorities. Asians don't complain about stupid shit and focus on education and business.

Some other minorities.................. well..........

And you wonder why some non-whities do better than others.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
The cuisine had its origins with the Taino, who developed the jerk method and later taught it to African slaves, who in turn adapted it in creating jerk chicken. The word jerk reportedly stems from the Spanish charqui, meaning dried strips of meat similar to the modern-day jerky.

:unsure:

The cultural appropriation store called and it wants its Jerk chicken back.

Reactions: funkygunther

OptimusApex

Jul 16, 2017
You gave enough of a fuck to change it.
Dont think that really counts it's just a name thats still in the tag. Did not know so many people where hung up over it .. you'd think they have better things to do.

John Day

Gold Member
Jan 12, 2018
San Juan, PR
Honest with you, as a puertorrican born of dominican parents, who has grown 37 years eating many amounts of combinations of rice with red, pink, green, black, white and chick peas /beans.... i don’t give a fuck, because rice with green beans is just as good in company of a good chicken or meat.

I am daring to think no caribbean cares about this shit. If any does...they have bigger problems.

Let me edit for the idiots: i don’t fucking care cause this comes from a FUCKING IKEA!

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Honest with you, as a puertorrican born of dominican parents, who has grown 37 years eating many amounts of combinations of rice with red, pink, green, black, white and chick peas /beans.... i don’t give a fuck, because rice with green beans is just as good in company of a good chicken or meat.

I am daring to think no caribbean cares about this shit. If any does...they have bigger problems.

Let me edit for the idiots: i don’t fucking care cause this comes from a FUCKING IKEA!
For real, lol. Arroz con gandules all day, errday, but one doesn’t go to Ikea to justify that existence.

It’s just a cheap ass food service to grub on as almost an “Ikeas routine” while shopping.

Last edited:

Gashtronomy

Apr 19, 2019
This outrage is manufactured by the companies, in order to get their name around the internet.

It's free advertising, everytime.

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Australia

Nigerian Prince African King OptimusAnus Pigeon isn't even from the Caribbean so there's no difference between him getting offended on your behalf and a white ally getting offended on a Nigerian's behalf.

Fbh

Dec 6, 2013
Wait... chicken? The ones most researchers agree where first domesticated somewhere in Asia?
Someone behind the "original" recipe needs to explain why they were appropriating chicken

• Love
Reactions: slugbahr