• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

|OT| Clown World Thread | 🤡🌎 | pɐǝɹɥ⊥ pןɹoM uʍoןϽ

Status
Not open for further replies.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
"Students used to be blank slates" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

This sounds more like strict early 20th century Catholic school rhetoric. "Minds to me molded". What ever happened to every student bringing a unique perspective -- their L I V E D E X P E R I E N C E -- to the classroom? What ever happened to meeting students where they are, students who might suffer from poverty or familial abuse or disability?

"They're not brainwashable like they used to be"

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, from now on a convicted felon or an offender released from custody will be known as a “formerly incarcerated person,” or a “justice-involved” person or just a “returning resident.”

A juvenile “delinquent” will now be called a “young person with justice system involvement,” or a “young person impacted by the juvenile justice system.”

And drug addicts or substance abusers, meanwhile, will become “a person with a history of substance use.”

Sacred

Aug 22, 2018
So by the time you finish describing the person who just broke into your house using language control and inclusion you are already dead. Good work geniuses.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Last edited:

Mihos

Gold Member
May 10, 2009
steamcommunity.com

Barnabot

Oct 16, 2018
I think there is something more sinister and underlying going on. These people are just brainwashed through ideologies from the shadows.
Is there a possibility of some crooked politicians trying to fringe the law according their own needs so when it comes the time of their asses being on the line they could easily circumvent the law? I've seen that before.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: matt404au

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014

Story worth reading. Famed shopkeeper getting strangled by homeless man in San Fran.

Hero son safe him with baseball bat.

Clown world:

The hero who saved the day was Gorce’s own 13-year-old son Sebastian, who made a quick decision to rescue his dad by retrieving a baseball bat.

“I grabbed the bat and I go outside,” said Sebastian Gorce. “The civilians who were sitting down there. the customers who were telling me not to do anything. They were telling me to put down the bat and stuff. It was a weird feeling because you don’t know whether to act on your own instinct or act on what the population is saying.”

“I decided to hold it up,” continued Sebastian. “I was trying to aim for his head and his ribs and stuff. And when he saw I was getting ready to hit him he kind of let go. And that was the point when it kind of stopped the fight.”

Jean Marc Gorce did not immediately call police, because he has dealt with street people before and there’s only so much police were able to do.

But this time, two hours later, he said the suspect came back and took a nap right on the sidewalk outside. The shop owner called 911 and police arrested 51-year old Paul Anghilante.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013

Story worth reading. Famed shopkeeper getting strangled by homeless man in San Fran.

Clown world:
That is peak brain dead with no free thought.

Saruhashi

Oct 2, 2018
Fuckin Gamergate.

All this bullshit because videogame journos couldn't just hold their hands up and say "OK, some of us are a bit to close with some indie devs that we also report on and we can see how this could be seen as deceptive in the eyes of consumers".

Like it would have been the easiest thing in the world to just say "yup there's a big scandal going on in the indie scene and some games journalists are involved, here are the facts, here is what we plan to do". That would have ended it there and then.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Fuckin Gamergate.

All this bullshit because videogame journos couldn't just hold their hands up and say "OK, some of us are a bit to close with some indie devs that we also report on and we can see how this could be seen as deceptive in the eyes of consumers".

Like it would have been the easiest thing in the world to just say "yup there's a big scandal going on in the indie scene and some games journalists are involved, here are the facts, here is what we plan to do". That would have ended it there and then.
Zero accountability culture and narcissism.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Fuckin Gamergate.

Nah, that wouldn't fit their plans. As others mentioned, the vanguard effort of the current wave of progressive cultural change took place in the videogame community. Gamergate just saw the corner edge of it and didn't comprehend what was really going on, but we've seen the results of when their outcry is ignored and the industry does what it wants anyway.

crowbrow

Feb 28, 2019

Clown world:
In the video it looks like the store owner attacked the guy first

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com

lock2k

Jun 13, 2018
Brazil
Amazing that they'd use that pic, with the NPC guys.

Why can't those red guys just be blank slates??
Gamergate comes to the classroom.

Translation = We can't shove our shitty narrative in everyone's mind so we are fucking freaking out because they know we are phoney motherfuckers.

Reactions: Sleepydays

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Feb 9, 2009
Justice-involved person :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm supportive of people that served their punishment to not be labelled convicted felon for the whole rest of their life, but that new label is just silly.

Reactions: Doc Honk

Dontero

Apr 19, 2018
From verge article:

“Suddenly everyone who watches Jordan Peterson videos thinks they know what postmodernism is,” says Emma Vossen, a post doctoral fellow with a PhD in gender and games.
Jordan legacy is killing them. Good. Jordan does have a gift of explaining intersectionality to layman people and cutting through the bullshit. He is true gift to online word.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May 30, 2004
"a PhD in gender and games."

Here's her doctoral dissertation:

On the Cultural Inaccessibility of Gaming: Invading, Creating, and Reclaiming the Cultural Clubhouse

Abstract

This dissertation uses intersectional feminist theory and Autoethnography to develop the concept of “cultural inaccessibility”. Cultural inaccessibility is a concept I’ve created to describe the ways that women are made to feel unwelcome in spaces of game play and games culture, both offline and online. Although there are few formal barriers preventing women from purchasing games, playing games, or acquiring jobs in the games industry, this dissertation explores the formidable cultural barriers which define women as “space invaders” and outsiders in games culture. Women are routinely subjected to gendered harassment while playing games, and in physical spaces of games culture, such as conventions, stores, and tournaments. This harassment and abuse is intensified toward female journalists, developers and academics who choose to speak publicly about sexism within the culture, particularly since the 2014 rise of Gamergate. This dissertation illustrates the parallel development of games culture and women’s continued exclusion from it, from the exclusionary sexism of J. R. R. Tolkien’s writing to the development of the “Gamer” as a fixed (and stereotypically cis-male) identity in the pages of video game magazines of the 1980s and ‘90s, to the online “Gamer activism” of today. At the same time, I also explore my own experiences as a female gamer and academic in the 2010s, using projects I have been a part of as a means of reflecting on developments in the broader culture. I first discuss a short machinima (a film made within a video game) that Elise Vist and I created within the 2007 Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game Lord of the Rings Online entitled Lady Hobbits. Lady Hobbits becomes an entry point to consider the historical cultural inaccessibility of women’s representations in seminal male-dominated media such as The Lord of the Rings. I then discuss the gender and games advocacy group that I co-founded at the University of Waterloo, The Games Institute Janes (GI Janes), and the many gaming events that v we ran, comparing the experience of our gender-integrated and women-only game nights. The challenges I experienced organizing GI Janes fuels my analysis of the cultural inaccessibility of game play for girls and women, as demonstrated by the tangled gender dynamics at play in the eSports community and Super Smash Brothers fandom. Lastly, I discuss my experiences as a staff member, and eventual first female editor-in-chief, of game studies publication First Person Scholar (FPS). This chapter interrogates the cultural inaccessibility of writing and publishing about games for women in the academic field of game studies, and the ways in which game studies’ links to gamer identity replicate games culture’s troubling sexism. The dissertation concludes with a discussion of the more recent connections between games culture, Gamergate, and conservative political groups such as the Alt-right. The conclusion asks how women can study games culture and the politically-motivated violence with which it is has recently been linked if doing so puts us at risk of becoming a target of harassment and abuse. It underscores the importance of future social justice-oriented work in academia and at large. In summary this dissertation moves from examining the historical inaccessibility of representation and participation (chapter 2), to the inaccessibility of game play (chapter 3), to the inaccessibility of participation in the discourse of games culture (chapter 4), before finally moving to a conclusion about Gamergate and politics in 2018 and how cultural inaccessibility has become a problem that is much larger than just games culture (chapter 5).
The gaming sector is so sexist that she became EIC of the publication she was working for.

Dontero

Apr 19, 2018
reminds me of that comic strip about bunch of women who say what they do and dude who just say i just code.

lock2k

Jun 13, 2018
Brazil
"a PhD in gender and games."

Here's her doctoral dissertation:

On the Cultural Inaccessibility of Gaming: Invading, Creating, and Reclaiming the Cultural Clubhouse

The gaming sector is so sexist that she became EIC of the publication she was working for.
PhD in gender and games. ROFLMAO

Anyone who consider gender as a field of study is a fucking clown. :D

A pool cleaner has more knowledge of the world than these bozos.

Last edited:

BlueAlpaca

Feb 6, 2018

Can leftist here please explain this to me:

- you think the fossil fuel companies are evil and need to be destroyed and their execs arrested (and lynched probably)... and then what? Civilization will continue to run on what, electrolytes?

- will the customers who buy fossil fuels also be arrested? Because that's pretty much everybody... including 'progressives.'

It's unbelievable how stupid humans are. It really is just incredible.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013

Can leftist here please explain this to me:

- you think the fossil fuel companies are evil and need to be destroyed and their execs arrested (and lynched probably)... and then what? Civilization will continue to run on what, electrolytes?

- will the customers who buy fossil fuels also be arrested? Because that's pretty much everybody... including 'progressives.'

It's unbelievable how stupid humans are. It really is just incredible.
So you are not going to be driving in gasoline cars or boarding planes, right Bernie?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: mcz117chief

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
HAHAHAHAHA

Justice-involved person

Give me a sec

HAHAHAHAHA

Now this is peak clown world. Too many criminals? Just call them something else! Problem solved!

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Justice-involved person :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm supportive of people that served their punishment to not be labelled convicted felon for the whole rest of their life, but that new label is just silly.
Paypal me $10 and I will tell you how you can easily avoid being labeled a convicted felon for the rest of your life. Guaranteed effective for 99.99% of the population.

Doc Honk

Oct 21, 2014
White British MP complains that constituents are too white :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm from Devon. What's she got against it? One of the most open-minded, friendly, decent places to live in the UK. My grandparents lived their whole life in a council house and recently a Polish couple did up the place next door and are kind and have careers. Many foreigners settle in Devon because of its beauty and quietness. Gonna let my friends and family know not to vote for this one.

She doesn't use 95% of her brain.

Proper job.

Last edited:

monegames

Sep 26, 2014
While justice involved person made me chuckle. My two faves were juvenile delinquent to young person impacted by the justice system, as if the system was the initiator of the situation, and illegal alien to person, yep no context of their crime.

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
The worst bit is..

A juvenile “delinquent” will now be called a “young person with justice system involvement,” or a “young person impacted by the juvenile justice system.”
Impacted by. The passive voice, they didn't make a choice to commit a crime, rather the justice system infringed upon their personal space and impacted them. The real victims are not the victims of crime, no the real victims are the victims of the justice system.

Status
Not open for further replies.