• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

|OT| Clown World Thread | 🤡🌎 | pɐǝɹɥ⊥ pןɹoM uʍoןϽ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada
Because I don't block people and know it's still there. More importantly I need to know if that's happening in something I'm participating in. It wasn't a one off and people are supporting it so...

You do you and limit what you are doing and admittedly enjoying based on the actions of a few people rather than refuting what they are saying or any of the other possible reactions. I don't know if I find that or your big announcement that you were leaving the thread more emblematic of the thread you were in.

Off Duty Ninja

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2014
P-Town
There is political context to that in that more often than not it's ignored by the media at large. I never really felt it was disproportionate to a lot of the other Insanity that's posted in this thread.
Well I guess I'm saying that those posts bother me but I just skip them and move along. I thought this thread was more of a "point and laugh at the stupid shit going on in the world today" thread to which random acts of violence don't really fit.

I'd say that there is also a political aspect to PKM's posts but that doesn't make them less inappropriate. Either way, my point was that I am just skipping those posts and moving on instead of getting upset about them.

Xenon

Well I guess I'm saying that those posts bother me but I just skip them and move along. I thought this thread was more of a "point and laugh at the stupid shit going on in the world today" thread to which random acts of violence don't really fit.

I'd say that there is also a political aspect to PKM's posts but that doesn't make them less inappropriate. Either way, my point was that I am just skipping those posts and moving on instead of getting upset about them.
Yeah there's been plenty of things I haven't agreed with and was happy to scroll and roll. But again such an overt serious comparison is my line.

• Love
Reactions: Off Duty Ninja

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Yeah there's been plenty of things I haven't agreed with and was happy to scroll and roll. But again such an overt serious comparison is my line.
I would recommend against giving quite so much power to something like that. The act of climbing all over a vehicle like that does happen to be associated with a specific animal, and I absolutely agree with you that actually verbalizing the comparison unfortunatley reinforces a specific, known, hurtful association. I myself would certainly avoid it, and I'm not saying you can't reject or refute it - of course you can. But in making such a display over someone else doing it brings even more attention to a comparison that is ridiculous on its face and backfires by ultimately strengthening that unfortunate and terrible mental association in everyone rather than weakening it. It's not an easy topic, really, but ultimately insults are only as powerful as the listener makes them.

Dec 15, 2011
Dec 15, 2011
And I think this is also a glimpse of what can happen when you have a parent with heavy investment in ideological / activist sentiments.
Left / Right - unimportant. Radicalisation ain't healthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helios

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Article 230 is long overdue to be taken away from these ideologues. They are not medical professionals and therefore have no business declaring what is or isn't "medically inaccurate information".

Like, wow! This is grade-school stuff. Businesses should NOT make comments on medical matters unless they can formally stand behind their word. It is why commentators -- even real doctors -- will always add the caveat to the bottom of their articles about how "this is not a substitute for advice from a medical professional".

So does Pintrest have a licensed medical professional on staff to confirm these determinations or not?

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014
weak ass Clown World if you are asking why people are protesting in Washington DC. everyone acts this stupid. you guys realize that's the capital of the country? DC. people protest there like all the time. and it's pride weekend. there were a million people dressed like lunatics running around protesting all weekend long. why are you pretending it's just black people? that is pretty racist.
I'm not “pretending” about anything. I'm asking which other group goes and twerks and makes sexually provocative moves on a police car or towards police officers themselves (see London's Notting Hill carnival)? Where's the footage or pictures of people from other ethnic groups behaving in a similar way? Pretty funny that you think asking a question is racist.
It's not a problem of ethnicity -- you're mistaking correlation with causation. Yes, these behaviours are more prevalent in blacks than other ethnic groups, but that doesn't mean that race is a causal factor or that people of other races never display them. The cultural problems are related to historical socioeconomic policies that disproportionately affected blacks as described above.
But where are the people from other groups behaving in a similar fashion? Every time I see this twerking stuff in public it's almost always performed by black people. Now if we are gonna say it's just their culture, does that mean nothing bad can be said about it?

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
You do you and limit what you are doing and admittedly enjoying based on the actions of a few people rather than refuting what they are saying or any of the other possible reactions. I don't know if I find that or your big announcement that you were leaving the thread more emblematic of the thread you were in.
What is there to refute exactly? Calling black people monkeys obviously has a history that could upset people

But where are the people from other groups behaving in a similar fashion? Every time I see this twerking stuff in public it's almost always performed by black people. Now if we are gonna say it's just their culture, does that mean nothing bad can be said about it?
Have you never been to a club with white or Hispanic women? Everyone twerks 🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: autoduelist
Jan 25, 2018
Southeastern USA

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada
What is there to refute exactly? Calling black people monkeys obviously has a history that could upset people
Refuting it may have not been the best choice of words but any sort of reaction would be better in my estimation than just announcing that you are out of a thread you enjoy reading. Why would you let anyone have that kind of power over you that you would just turn tail and run because a few people out of a hundred said something that is upsetting to you. It is an awful way to live imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: matt404au

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
I'm not “pretending” about anything. I'm asking which other group goes and twerks and makes sexually provocative moves on a police car or towards police officers themselves (see London's Notting Hill carnival)? Where's the footage or pictures of people from other ethnic groups behaving in a similar way? Pretty funny that you think asking a question is racist.

Here are some examples: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/your-weekly-update-in-race-relations-in-america.1486201/#post-254515141

I don't dispute that the behaviours are more prevalent among blacks, at least as far as I can tell from the media I consume, but as I said above, race is not a causal factor. Criticise the culture, absolutely, go right ahead. You'll have no objection from me there. Just don't say that it's a race problem because then you shut the door on any black person who would prefer to align with a different culture.

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
And I think this is also a glimpse of what can happen when you have a parent with heavy investment in ideological / activist sentiments.
Left / Right - unimportant. Radicalisation ain't healthy.
I don't know how to achieve it without just starving the beast but this cancer needs to be cut out at the source, which is in the universities. Gender Studies and its predecessor prior to the 90s rebranding, Women's Studies, provide absolutely no value to society. In fact, it is producing false knowledge that is destabilising society. But I would be worried about some legitimate ideas getting caught in the crossfire of any kind of regulatory interference.

Liberty4all

Nov 11, 2007
Backing up to 2 pages ago, will I still be allowed to use plastic garbage bags in Canada? I got a kid man, if they are banning one use kitchen catchers I got to buy 20 years supply at Costco.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
I don't know how to achieve it without just starving the beast but this cancer needs to be cut out at the source, which is in the universities. Gender Studies and its predecessor prior to the 90s rebranding, Women's Studies, provide absolutely no value to society. In fact, it is producing false knowledge that is destabilising society. But I would be worried about some legitimate ideas getting caught in the crossfire of any kind of regulatory interference.
In theory, best case scenario is the schools go bankrupt and we have a return to university education being the exception not the rule.

There are a couple solid reasons why this can and might happen. There are also a couple solid reasons why it might not.

Worst case scenario is somebody like Warren gets their way and we have socialized university, in which case the utter failure of public education will be extended through university and we'll be graduating idiots with a degree even later in life incapable of writing a sentence, at taxpayer expense.

Once again, the left thoroughly misunderstanding root causes of societal issues. Not everyone gets a degree? That's unfair! Everyone gets one for free!

I hope the landscape changes in 12-15 years because i have no idea where I'd want my kids to go at this point. Even the Ivys are fucked.

Last edited:

MetalAlien

Formerly 'MetalAlien'
Mar 6, 2005
EDIT: After further reading, I’m assuming you were referring to 12Goblins reporting posts he is upset with? I initially thought you were referring to me.
You are correct sir, I was referring to 12goblins about the report button. Sorry for not being more clear.

First I want to say how much I enjoyed this thread. It truly is a clown world and amusing to witness. Thanks for that. But there are too many people in my life that I love and respect to participate in a thread that compares black people to monkeys. Now I understand that is possible for people to be joking about such things and not be racist. But for me that's just one of the lines I personally don't feel comfortable crossing. But this is more about how I feel rather than judgment of the people in this thread. I just can't participate or view it anymore.
Nearly the entire world is joining a single chorus singing death to whitey but PKMs refference to a monkey video is what pushed you out of this thread?

Last edited:

danielberg

Neophyte
Jun 20, 2018
Its worth noting that leftwing “journalist” are clearly rooting for more censorship.
This is also the Silicon Valley feedback loop on full display: Lefty, pro-censorship tech CEOs being spurred on by Lefty, pro-censorship activists (“journalists”).

Last edited:

CurryPanda

Formerly 'CyberPanda' formerly ‘CurryPanda’
Mar 4, 2019
Its worth noting that leftwing “journalist” are clearly rooting for more censorship.
This is also the Silicon Valley feedback loop on full display: Lefty, pro-censorship tech CEOs being spurred on by Lefty, pro-censorship activists (“journalists”).
They want to make all social media like Reee.

CurryPanda

Formerly 'CyberPanda' formerly ‘CurryPanda’
Mar 4, 2019
Ok, guys after this video I need a break. This video has fried my brain cells immensely, and I need time to recuperate.

Xenon

I would recommend against giving quite so much power to something like that. The act of climbing all over a vehicle like that does happen to be associated with a specific animal, and I absolutely agree with you that actually verbalizing the comparison unfortunatley reinforces a specific, known, hurtful association. I myself would certainly avoid it, and I'm not saying you can't reject or refute it - of course you can. But in making such a display over someone else doing it brings even more attention to a comparison that is ridiculous on its face and backfires by ultimately strengthening that unfortunate and terrible mental association in everyone rather than weakening it. It's not an easy topic, really, but ultimately insults are only as powerful as the listener makes them.

If this a more balanced forum politically and it allowed 100% free speech I would agree. But thankfully it's not 100% free and most unfair generalizations are delt with to promote better conversations. However if it's one sided then it can hurt the discussion or prevent it entirety, see ResetEra as example.

Plenty of us pushing back on it too. Why ignore that?
Very true, sorry for not acknowledging that. Also maybe I'm just so use to moderators being in control, the concept of community response and correction dealing with these issues escaped me. But I'm warming up to. Thanks

Nearly the entire world is joining a single chorus singing death to whitey but PKMs refference to a monkey video is what pushed you out of this thread?
Why would any of that push me out of a thread that makes fun of those very people? ;) but i get what your saying.

Look PKM posted a post comparing black people to monkeys. Which is about as racist as a person can go without calling them the N word. Then just in case there was any confusion a few posts later he posted monkeys and likened them to the very same black people. It wasn't clever or insightful just mean. It also wasnt some twitter whore or professional empathist inferring some microaggression out of his ass or her ass. No this is a shot into a century-old wound that cuts almost every black person in this country straight to the bone. This is not something you use to criticize a person, group or subcultures because it's the nuclear option that encompasses an entire people wether you aiming it at them or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.