• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Club Nintendo discontinued worldwide, new program to follow

L~A

Edit: looks like it's a WW thing... can a mod please edit the title?

Europe:

Nintendo’s first loyalty programmes, VIP 24:7 and Club Member, started in May 2002, and were combined in December 2007 to become Club Nintendo. Over the years, players have enjoyed the Game Boy Advance, Nintendo GameCube, Nintendo DS, Wii, Nintendo 3DS and Wii U platforms, and countless software titles across them all. We’ve also heard the feedback and opinions of around six million Club Nintendo members across Europe and South Africa, which we have used to help shape our business.

We’re working hard to create a new programme, which we plan to launch later this year. And as a special offer, users who sign up to the new programme during the launch period will be able to download Flipnote Studio 3D to a Nintendo 3DS system for free. Please stay tuned to the Nintendo website for further details.

This new membership programme will replace Club Nintendo, so we will discontinue Club Nintendo according to the schedule given below. Thank you for all your support.

As Stars in your account will expire on September 30th 2015, please make sure you use them before this date. There are plenty of unique and exclusive items already available in the Stars Catalogue, and we’ll keep adding more over the coming months, so there’s plenty to spend your Stars on before September 30th 2015.

Please stay tuned for more information about the new membership programme, including its launch date.

Club Nintendo Discontinuation Schedule

April 1st 2015: From this date, Nintendo will no longer include product registration cards with its packaged games, so such products cannot be registered in Club Nintendo. You may still find product registration cards in games that were in stock before this date, however.
April 20th 2015: Termination of the registration of digital products downloaded from Nintendo eShop. Digital products obtained from Nintendo eShop after this date will no longer appear in the My Registered Games & Systems page in Club Nintendo. In addition, surveys for download software titles will no longer be available.
September 30th 2015: End of Club Nintendo programme. All Club Nintendo features, such as signing up as a new member, logging in as a registered member, earning Stars, and exchanging Stars for items from the Stars Catalogue will no longer be possible from this date.

New Nintendo 3DS and New Nintendo 3DS XL

These new handheld systems, which will be released on February 13th 2015, are not registerable in Club Nintendo. However, hardware bundles will still include a product registration card for the included software until April 1st 2015, so software bundled with hardware can still be registered until September 30th 2015.
Stars

Please exchange any Stars in your account for items from the Stars Catalogue before September 30th 2015. Any Stars not used by this date will be lost, so be sure to use them as soon as possible. There are plenty of unique and exclusive items already available in the Stars Catalogue, and we’ll keep adding more over the coming months, so there’s plenty to spend your Stars on before September 30th 2015.

North America:

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--After more than six years of delivering fun Nintendo-themed rewards to its members, Club Nintendo is preparing to shut down. Nintendo’s loyalty-rewards program rewarded members with a variety of items, such as downloadable games, Nintendo posters or character figures in exchange for Coins that members earned by registering products or completing surveys. Club Nintendo members in the United States and Canada can earn additional Coins through the end of March, and can redeem those Coins through the end of June. Nintendo of America will be announcing a new customer loyalty program at a later date.

“We thank all Club Nintendo members for their dedication to Nintendo games and their ongoing love for our systems and characters,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “We want to make this time of transition as easy as possible for our loyal Club Nintendo members, so we are going to add dozens of new rewards and downloadable games to help members clear out their Coin balances.”

Nintendo will add a number of physical reward options for members in February. Members will also be able to choose from a lineup of many downloadable games. As a gift to Club Nintendo members, the Flipnote Studio 3D software will be available to download for free in February. This software will allow users to create unique three-dimensional animations and to exchange their creations via local wireless with others who also own Flipnote Studio 3D. Users who uploaded creations to Flipnote Hatena will be able to download their personal animations from the Nintendo DSi Library menu in Flipnote Studio 3D software. Flipnote Studio 3D will be available to Club Nintendo members until June 30. The ability to create a new Club Nintendo account will end on March 31. All users who register to Club Nintendo before registration closes will be eligible to receive Flipnote Studio 3D.

For more information about Club Nintendo, visit https://club.nintendo.com. For more information on Flipnote Studio 3D, visit http://flipnotestudio3d.nintendo.com/.

Dear Club Nintendo Members,

Thank you for your continued loyalty to Nintendo.

We launched Club Nintendo 6 years ago in North America, and we’re grateful for all of the feedback that our members have provided on your experiences with our products.

In order to focus on planning for a new customer loyalty program for our fans, we’ve decided to wind-down the Club Nintendo program. We are deeply thankful to our members for being a part of Club Nintendo for all of these years.

We will share details about our new program at a later date. For now, please see the schedule below for information on the discontinuation timeframe for Club Nintendo.

All Coins will be deleted when Club Nintendo accounts are closed on July 1, 2015. As a result, to give our members the best opportunity to use their Coins, we will add dozens of downloadable games and a limited quantity of exclusive reward items to the rewards catalog in February. In addition, as a small token of appreciation for your loyalty, all Club Nintendo members will receive a free download code for Flipnote Studio 3D in February 2015. Please visit here for information on the software and how to get the download code.

Club Nintendo program discontinuation schedule

1/20/2015
Products released after this date are not eligible for registration with Club Nintendo
3/31/2015
Last day to earn Coins, register products with Club Nintendo, and sign up for new Club Nintendo membership
6/30/2015
Last day to redeem Coins or access your account on the Club Nintendo website. Club Nintendo program shuts down at 11:59pm PT on 6/30/2015.

Your Account and Coin Balance

The information in your Club Nintendo account will not be transferred to the new loyalty program. We are adding multiple items to our reward catalog, so please be sure to redeem your Coins before the deadline on June 30, 2015. Unused Coins will be deleted as of July 1, 2015.
2015 Elite Status

In order to reach Elite Status, you must earn 300 Coins (for Gold Status) or 600 Coins (for Platinum Status) between July 1, 2014 and March 31, 2015. Members who reach Elite Status will be able to choose a downloadable game from a wide selection of Nintendo 3DS and Wii U titles. Your free Elite Status gift will be available between April 1 and April 30, 2015. A list of the Elite Status 2015 gifts will be posted here once announced.

FAQs about Club Nintendo program discontinuation

How long can I keep earning Coins?
The last day to register products with Club Nintendo, take surveys, or earn Coins is March 31, 2015. Surveys in your To-Do list will be deleted after March 31, 2015, so please be sure to register products or take surveys by that date. Please note that products released after January 20, 2015 cannot be registered at Club Nintendo, and will not be eligible for surveys or Coins.

But I have Club Nintendo PIN # that is valid past March 31, 2015.
Products cannot be registered after March 31, 2015, regardless of the expiration date written on the PIN card.

Will the games I download still be registered with Club Nintendo?
Club Nintendo-eligible games that you download will continue to be registered to your account automatically until March 31, 2015 if your Nintendo eShop account is linked to your Club Nintendo account. After that date, games will no longer be registered with Club Nintendo. To find out which games you can register, please see Eligible Products. Click here to learn how to link your Nintendo eShop account to your Club Nintendo account.

When is the last day to join Club Nintendo?
You can join Club Nintendo until March 31, 2015.

When is the last day to redeem Coins on Club Nintendo?
The last day to redeem your Coins is June 30, 2015. Any unused Coins will be deleted on July 1, 2015. We are offering a large number of digital games, and select physical rewards, so we are sure you can find something you like. Limited quantities are available for the physical rewards, so please be sure to check out our Get Games & Rewards page for each item’s availability.

What happens to my Coins if I don’t use them all?
Any unused Coins in your Club Nintendo account will be deleted on July 1, 2015.

When is the last day to get the download code for the digital games I chose?
The last day to access your Club Nintendo account is June 30, 2015, so please be sure to get your 16-digit download code(s) for any games you’ve received before that date.

Will the download code ever expire?
Yes, all download codes redeemed from Club Nintendo will expire on July 31, 2015, so please be sure to download your game from the Nintendo eShop before that date.

Do I need to cancel my membership?
No, your account will automatically be cancelled on July 1, 2015, so there is no need for you to cancel your account.

Japan too!

Knew something was up...

Source

Roo

Holy shit.

Please exchange any Stars in your account for items from the Stars Catalogue before September 30th 2015.

interesting... I guess 8 months is enough time to exchange them.

Well, that explains a few things then.

It's weird, they did seem to actually be putting effort in with the rewards, but only it seems to bring the whole thing to an end?

What do they mean by use all your stars ?
Even the one you didn't registered ?
Does it mean unregistered games won't be anymore ???

That was unexpected.
I hope the next system is more seamless : you buy a game, you earn points, and when you have enoug points, you have the possibility to download a game from a list, or you earn some credit on your Eshop balance.
Entering those codes and going through these endless polls was a pain in the ass.

Japan, too. and holy shit!

T22eD48.png

Ein Bear

Aw man, that's a shame. It was never particularly great or anything, but I've been using it since I bought my Gamecube. End of an era.

Mistle

Suspected this when Aus had "everything on sale" and by the New 3DS not giving points.
I won't really miss it, even though I got a couple cool things over the years. I'm ready for a new system, the current one was really clunky is Australia.

EDIT: Flipnote Studio 3D release is good though! Sly announcement, one that I've been wanting.

ChrisD

But why? Is the name slandered or something? Whatever they're doing they could have kept the name at least. :(

As a resident of North America, this worries the hell out of me. Whatever this new program is, we'll get the worst version of it, guaranteed.

Alfredo

So this will be happening in North America, too?

I guess I better spend my coins on...something. Probably digital games 'cause I bet what's left of the physical items will sell out quickly.

That was unexpected.
I hope the next system is more seamless : you buy a game, you earn points, and when you have enoug points, you have the possibility to download a game from a list, or you earn some credit on your Eshop balance.
Entering those codes and going through these endless polls was a pain in the ass.

Well, they want your marketing data.

You're not being rewarded for buying things. You're buying things because you want the product - the exchange was you giving them money for the product. They're giving you other things because you are supplying them data they can use.

L~A

Looks like it's a WW thing... I doubt NA will be the only territory to keep its Club Nintendo...

ffdgh

Woah what? Soo...Gold and platnium are more or less not happening this year? Guess I gotta spend all those saved up coins now.

kirby_fox

Banned
I'm guessing north America isn't far behind. Hopefully the new program is easier.

I only ever got the game and watch and the yearly stuff off of there. Hopefully I can grab some nice download titles.

I saw Japan being cancelled too and tried to go to the NA Club Nintendo to get a 3DS game case, but there is maintenance. I guess it will be announced after the maintenance that it is also cancelled. I still have like 1000 coins, probably more, in unredeemed codes.

JoeM86

But I was saving my stars for the inevitable Club Nintendo exclusive Mewtwo amiibo :( At least we're getting Flipnote Studio 3D from it.

Note: That was speculation, obviously not insider knowledge

Vena

They are doing this for some reason to integrate everything into a new real account system right??! Right??

Club Nintendo has indeed been an oddity against the combined accounts of the WiiU/3DS, so I think this likely part of it.

Hopefully the new system incorporates some of the Digital Deluxe Promotion's ideas - like a basic points system, simple rewards, and automated registering.

Anth0ny

oh hey it looks like everyone is dropping club nintendo

north america is next, right? i mean, everyone else is doing it

ahuehuehuehue

Layell

We better not keep getting Urban Champion out of this as an award.

What the heck is going on here? I am shocked this wasn't in the Nintendo Direct. If this is replaced by something really crap I won't be impressed.

My NoA points had better carry over, or Nintendo better put some good software available in the monthly software rounds so I can spend these bloody coins.

Elija2

I guess we'll hear the same news in North America soon enough. Well, I'm glad this was the one year that I went overboard with registering codes.

Oersted

From this date, Nintendo will no longer include product registration cards with its packaged games, so such products cannot be registered in Club Nintendo.

End of an era. This was, as cheesy as it sounds, part of the Nintendo experience.

Top Bottom