• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Inside the fight that could derail the Democratic Party

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/11/politics/democrats-bernie-sanders-feud/index.html

In what should be Democrats' strongest moment since November, a series of emotional and racially charged clashes are forcing the party to once again confront the problem that has plagued it for a year: How to incorporate the supporters of Bernie Sanders.

The anger that has simmered in Sanders' camp since the 2016 Democratic National Convention bubbled to the surface in comments from some of the Vermont senator's most prominent political allies and surrogates, particularly in two recent clashes.

First, three key Sanders backers -- National Nurses Union executive director RoseAnn DeMoro, pro-Sanders journalist Nomiki Konst and "People for Bernie" co-founder Winnie Wong -- publicly dismissed Sen. Kamala Harris' prospects of winning over the party's progressive wing
. The pointed quotes were picked up online when a Mic report, published after the California Democrat was feted by top party donors in the Hamptons, went viral in late July.
Many Democrats saw the criticism of Harris as a needless and counterproductive jab at a rising star. But Sanders' backers -- who tend to be younger and whiter than the overall Democratic electorate -- were stung by suggestions that their distaste for Harris is fueled by race, like those from liberal MSNBC host Joy Reid, who tweeted: "So black Democrats must go begging young white leftists who were not numerous enough to nominate their preferred pick last time?"

"So odd, no, that these folks have (it) in for Kamala Harris and Cory Booker," tweeted Neera Tanden, the president of the Center for American Progress.

The intense backlash provoked an equally sharp response from Sanders' allies, including Turner and the three who had initially panned Harris -- DeMoro, Wong and Konst, none of whom are white men.
In both the backlash over Sanders allies' criticism of Harris and the DNC incident, Nina Turner said she saw "the system" -- Democratic donors, Hillary Clinton-aligned operatives, in particular -- "really trying to continue trying to drive a wedge between progressive people of color and progressive whites."

"They're using identity politics as a weapon," she said. By criticizing black Democrats such as Harris, Booker or former Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, Sanders supporters are "labeled as a racist and a sexist. But they don't say the same thing when their side comes out and attacks somebody like me."
Much more in the link.

FZZ

Banned
In what should be Democrats' strongest moment since November, a series of emotional and racially charged clashes are forcing the party to once again confront the problem that has plagued it for a year: How to incorporate the supporters of Bernie Sanders.

This is not the biggest problem

I don't want to incorporate people who are willing to push aside racial inequality and could give a fuck about my family or I because of the color of my skin

Fuck them, they're not true Democrats

Apt101

It's weird that Joy Reid brought up race in the first place. Now there's this big conversation going on against what appears to be a straw man - because as far as I know, I've never seen, read, or heard that Sanders supporters are any more racist than other democrats.

noquarter

What's with the dislike of Cory Booker? I really like what he has been doing that I've seen (speaking out against Sessions at confirmation, pushing for weed to be removed from Class C list)

Forget about extreme Bernie Sanders-esque supporters, it's really simple. Focus on fighting for voting rights and increase Democratic and left-leaning turnout, not pander to the extreme left.

What's with the dislike of Cory Booker? I really like what he has been doing that I've seen (speaking out against Sessions at confirmation, pushing for weed to be removed from Class C list)

There's a faction who believe democrats are too corporate-beholden, between lobbyists and actual corporations. Booker has done a lot for corps, from Wall Street to health insurance companies (voting against allowing cheaper Canadian prescription fulfillment) so he's viewed as a corporate lap dog by some.

It is kinda funny, while republicans may fight long and hard during the primaries they coalesce rapidly when it comes to actual voting time. Remember how EVERYONE was saying the Republican primaries were going to destroy the republican party because they fight amongst each other so hard that they would weaken whoever won (which was definitely not gonna be Trump)? Whereas Hillary cruised to a pretty early victory and things were gonna be easy peasy for her.

Well, democrats seem to hold a grudge a lot longer and just can't ever seem to let go.

If the bernie supporters were smart and hope to get a candidate through the primary, they would need to focus on getting the most reliable voting demographic in the democratic party on their side: older minority voters especially black women.

The blanket rejection of Harris, Booker, and Patrick is not going to look good to that group.

ezekial45

Banned

He's a true progressive, and he's got great ideas, but he's also got deep ties to Wall Street and big business. Which just makes people less inclined to want to support him due to purity tests.

It's gonna be tough going forward to finding the right candidate. Specifically one that the majority of dems will get behind. I think Biden would be great.

He's a true progressive, and he's got great ideas, but he's also got deep ties to Wall Street and big business. Which just makes people less inclined to want to support him due to purity tests.

It's gonna be tough going forward to finding the right candidate. Specifically one that the majority of dems will get behind. I think Biden would be great.

i'm not sure I understand. From my understanding, Biden is more to the right than even Hillary.

neoanarch

They don't actually vote so who gives a fuck about them?

This is slightly sarcastic but otherwise.... They don't vote so who gives a fuck.

Ekai

It's weird that Joy Reid brought up race in the first place. Now there's this big conversation going on against what appears to be a straw man - because as far as I know, I've never seen, read, or heard that Sanders supporters are any more racist than other democrats.

Joy Reid also put forth the lie that we didn't support Hillary. Really don't care for her right now. Or for the accusations of racism while they get racist (or homophobic/transphobic, etc.) with leftist minorities themselves.

They don't actually vote so who gives a fuck about them?

This is slightly sarcastic but otherwise.... They don't vote so who gives a fuck.

Bernie supporters/the left at large voted for Hillary in greater numbers than Hillary supporters did for Obama, so....

The Corporate media will be working overtime over the next few months to shit on progressives that will be fighting for single payer.

Frame progressives as racist whites (s repeat it enough and many will believe it) so that they can be put down and silenced when trying to fight against the corporations that run the Democrat party.

Betty

Banned
This will be why Dems lose in 2020.

Plus Russia, Trolls, fake news, etc

But infighting and Bernie-esque supporters all throwing tantrums if they don't get their way will be the death knell for Dems chances.

Snaku

Banned
Forget about extreme Bernie Sanders-esque supporters, it's really simple. Focus on fighting for voting rights and increase Democratic and left-leaning turnout, not pander to the extreme left.

Bingo, we don't need the left version of The Freedom Caucus hijacking the Democratic Party.

Ekai

But infighting and Bernie-esque supporters all throwing tantrums if they don't get their way will be the death knell for Dems chances.

I'd be more concerned about Democrats throwing their base under the bus to appeal to center-right individuals like they did through the 80s/90s and early 00s.

Azzanadra

This is not the biggest problem

I don't want to incorporate people who are willing to push aside racial inequality and could give a fuck about my family or I because of the color of my skin

Fuck them, they're not true Democrats

What's a "true democrat"? What about someone like Manchin? Is he not a true democrat?

Point is, you are already incorporating people that do you not fit your purity test.

In the US? No one since FDR.

But Bernie Stans have deluded themselves into thinking that going even further to the left will win them elections.

If this crap keeps up, 2018 and especially 2020 is going to be hilarious for all the wrong reasons...

I don't think the left/right "level" of an idea really matters, people just want to be convinced of solutions, and the idea is that as the crony capitalism of democrats/republicans has clearly failed, people are looking more than ever for something different, a real change.

noquarter

Corporate ties I think.

There's a faction who believe democrats are too corporate-beholden, between lobbyists and actual corporations. Booker has done a lot for corps, from Wall Street to health insurance companies (voting against allowing cheaper Canadian prescription fulfillment) so he's viewed as a corporate lap dog by some.

Thanks. Still like most of what he is pushing for. Don't think the party needs blind followers like Republicans, but would like to see less infighting.

Slayven

Uh but two of the people who criticized them were PoC?

694940094001_5444807940001_5444769884001-vs.jpg

height.630.no_border.width.1200.jpg

220px-Tulsi_Gabbard%2C_official_portrait%2C_113th_Congress.jpg

I'd be more concerned about Democrats throwing their base under the bus to appeal to center-right individuals like they did through the 80s/90s and early 00s.

Let me ask you this, who do you think is the core base of the democratic party?

Also anyone else is free to answer the above question.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

At least I won't get blindsided this time. lol

All this is really about is keeping money in politics so all these players continue to rake it in each election. That's why they will never get behind Bernie in 2020 even though he is the most popular politician in the country and wants everything they want and more. But his stance on campaign financing is what leads to this continuing effort to shit on him. The media is all too happy to get out these types of messages, because of course, most of the money in campaigns go to them in ad buys.

Ekai

Let me ask you this, who do you think is the core base of the democratic party?

Also anyone else is free to answer the above question.

Minorites of all types, the poor and middle class, etc. should be. But if they decide to try to appeal to center right individuals who don't fit in this category whatsoever, they're just going to keep losing.

Yes, take the high road and lose again.

Or actually stick to their proclaimed principles and win. Centrist policies are the death-knell of the party.

FZZ

Banned
What's a "true democrat"? What about someone like Manchin? Is he not a true democrat?

Point is, you are already incorporating people that do you not fit your purity test.

For one, probably not a person who runs for the democratic ticket only because they know they'd have no shot otherwise.

"Died by Purity Tests" will be on the gravestone of the Democratic Party.

Nope but neo-liberals masquerading as if they actually care about POC will be definitely be one of the things written

Most Bernie supporters will vote Democrat no matter what. They might have to vote with someone who is not to their standards but it's much better than the alternative.

All this is really about is keeping money in politics so all these players continue to rake it in each election. That's why they will never get behind Bernie in 2020 even though he is the most popular politician in the country and wants everything they want and more. But his stance on campaign financing is what leads to this continuing effort to shit on him. The media is all too happy to get out these types of messages, because of course, most of the money in campaigns go to them in ad buys.

This just makes no sense. If he was the most popular politician in the US, he would have won the primary and he'd also be the president. He wouldn't even have needed to join the Democratic party to run!

That's why they will never get behind Bernie in 2020 even though he is the most popular politician in the country

How and where did you get this conclusion? This is a man who ran against what may have be the most unpopular female politician in American history and still lost the nomination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom