• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

CNN poll: 51% say Senate should remove Trump from office

Shmunter

Aug 25, 2018
this is a bad sign for the Democrats if a democratic audience votes 49% no impeachment

Jun 26, 2013

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada
Lessons learned for their next shot at impeachment. Build a solid fact based case, cross the t's dot the i's. Turkeygate is going to be a full 2.0.

V4skunk

Nov 20, 2018
Only 51% of CNN's brainwashed audience think Trump should be removed from office? Bwahahahahaha

Reactions: Boston

accel

Sep 11, 2015
Just to be clear; you are okay with the President of the USA asking a foreign government to publicly declare an investigation into a former VPs family and a potential President contender, in exchange for aid. Who then covers it up and blocks anyone testifying about it and threatens whistleblowers?

You don't see how this is a slippery slope?

First off - yes, it is OK for the President of the US to ask a foreign government for help in investigating corruption regarding any person, especially a person on a high political post or with high political ambitions in the US, and tie the voluntary help of the US to that country to those investigations. This is legal and this is what is actually wanted and needed, the President is in control of foreign relations and he should have the power to do that.

There are limits to what's OK here, of course, but they are much farther in my opinion than you set them. It's not OK for the President to ask a foreign government to give him money, for example. Or to fund a project of a company controlled by his child. Or to stop an investigation against such a company. Etc. It's about personal gain, yes. In this case, it was about corruption and any personal gain of Trump merely coincided with Biden being involved in corruption. Don't want Trump to benefit from what you do overseas? Don't participate in corruption. Easy.

Last, you are saying 'in exchange for aid' as if this was a strong 'no investigations = no aid'. But it wasn't that, it was just a 'guys, we have this story with corruption that involves your country, could you please help us investigate it? we are giving you aid after all'. You are making it sound much stronger than it was, that's perhaps partly why your conclusions regarding whether it was fine or not for Trump to ask for the investigations differ from mine.

Last edited:

accel

Sep 11, 2015
This strikes me a mistake rather than a lie. It also isn't one that seriously undermines the impeachment narrative. It's dumb, though. You can call him dumb.

The direction of that mistake is, unsurprisingly, against Trump, which speaks for itself. At the very least, whoever made the mistake had a serious bias.

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
Yet Mitch and his crew still won't give a fair trial. This will end up with a lot backlash to senate republicans if that % is correct.

Good luck keeping the Senate.

Your idiots are spending hours ranting about shit unrelated to the passed articles of impeachment. That's not a fair trial.

Reactions: Teletraan1

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada
Why would anyone care about anyone's opinion on removal when the defense hasn't even had a chance to make their case? It is still a toss up in polls when all of the information has been one sided.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
CNN isn't the only pollster showing this.
And there are other polls saying the opposite. You're point.

These polls are always going to be highly contested down the middle, becuase it isn't really about the actions Trump has taken. This impeachment is purely partisan.

This strikes me a mistake rather than a lie. It also isn't one that seriously undermines the impeachment narrative. It's dumb, though. You can call him dumb.
Un fucking believable.

How many "mistakes" is this guy going to make before you start using your brain?

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: Schrödinger's cat

Kenpachii

Mar 23, 2018
CNN and only 51%? holy shit that's low.

Not even democrats believe there own church anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leprech

daemissary

Nov 19, 2011
So...do we trust the Fox news polls or are we pretending to ignore that narrative because it doesn't fit in with with RightwingGAF commentary?

I’m no Trump supporter but I’ve got news for you...even Fox’s polling said he would lose in 2016 too.

Polling is pretty bogus generally now because no matter how large a sample size you get...there is a certain subset of people who don’t respond to pollsters. And it’s fairly evident that subset is mostly made up of Trump supporters, the only real question is to what degree.

Reactions: Joe T.

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Its not a trial at all without witnesses. Not this sham Mitch cooked up.

Dems knew they had no case, it's why they sped this through the House with such a partisan set of rules. Now they get to blame the GOP-controlled Senate for their shortcomings and half the country slurps it up. If they were genuinely concerned about Trump's behavior they would have pursued all the witnesses they now pretend they want to hear from in the Senate. This is all a show and they're trying to string you along. If it comes to the point that they call witnesses you're going to be let down by what John Bolton has to say, for example, I can almost guarantee that - he'd toss out some tabloid-worthy nugget of info about Trump that would get blown out of proportion like everything else and provide nothing towards impeachment. He's got a book due out soon.

Talk to a lawyer you might know and run through the merits of the case with him/her, they'll probably explain to you what the liberal media doesn't dare tell you: this is a laughably weak case. It's why the media has focused on the managers' performance ("dazzling") and not the facts of the case itself. They don't want to be cancelled by the people they conditioned to resist Trump/Republicans.

azz0r

Banned
May 24, 2005
www.fedsimulator.com
I’m no Trump supporter but I’ve got news for you...even Fox’s polling said he would lose in 2016 too.

Polling is pretty bogus generally now because no matter how large a sample size you get...there is a certain subset of people who don’t respond to pollsters. And it’s fairly evident that subset is mostly made up of Trump supporters, the only real question is to what degree.

I’m no Trump supporter, my arse.

Okay so heres how this thread went then;

CNN poll show Trump majority want trump impeached
CNN polls are trash, LOL
Okay here a fox news poll
Hol up, polls mean nothing

LOL the mental gymnastics you guys will go to, boggles my mind.

Reactions: belmarduk

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013

CNN polls are trash, LOL

So you gonna holler back into this thread, when he is not impeached, and if he wins again in November?

I will bookmark if so. And if he loses, then you can have an "I told you so" moment as well.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2013

CNN polls are trash, LOL

Summarize the methodology of the poll then if you really think it holds water.

daemissary

Nov 19, 2011

CNN polls are trash, LOL

I never said those other things...NeoGAF is not the borg.

You can find many posts of mine shitting on Trump when he does bad stuff if you cared to look instead of throwing out hasty generalizations.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2013
and here we go with divert from fact nonsense. Its a poll, on fox news, that backs up the cnn poll, so what exactly would you like me to explain to you?
Appeal to Authority fallacy. Just because it's a poll, it doesn't mean you just believe it is valid.

Considering your initial response, you have exactly no idea how CNN did its polling. How were the respondents contacted? Why did they use that particular method of contact? What is the political affiliation split of the polling sample? What is the margin of error? What were the exact questions asked?

azz0r

Banned
May 24, 2005
www.fedsimulator.com
Appeal to Authority fallacy. Just because it's a poll, it doesn't mean you just believe it is valid.

Considering your initial response, you have exactly no idea how CNN did its polling. How were the respondents contacted? Why did they use that particular method of contact? What is the political affiliation split of the polling sample? What is the margin of error? What were the exact questions asked?
So now I have to break down polls and segmentation on something I didn't create. Even when a complementary poll on a polar opposite network backs it up. But yeah, ask me to break down it down for you as its the last bastion of faith.

Reactions: belmarduk

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
So now I have to break down polls and segmentation on something I didn't create. Even when a complementary poll on a polar opposite network backs it up. But yeah, ask me to break down it down for you as its the last bastion of faith.

You don't have to break it down for anyone else but yourself. The point is that when you get into the details you'll see that there's more to it than what the headline(s) which you're relying on say/imply.

Jun 26, 2013
Skepticism is not faith. It is not my job to prove a negative. The burden of proof falls on the person making the positive claim. If you say the poll is valid, then you must prove that the methodology behind it is also valid. Your laziness is not an excuse for your lack of verification.

• LOL
Reactions: azz0r

Bootzilla

Banned
Dec 19, 2019
And there are other polls saying the opposite. You're point.

These polls are always going to be highly contested down the middle, becuase it isn't really about the actions Trump has taken. This impeachment is purely partisan.

Un fucking believable.

How many "mistakes" is this guy going to make before you start using your brain?
But like, what advantage does this misstatement have for him? It doesn't make sense for it to be a lie because it doesn't benefit him in any way. It just seems dopey to think he's lie for no reason in a way that would obviously get called out.

I get we're all cynical right now but you have to use some common sense too.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Jun 10, 2004
California
manabyte.com
and here we go with divert from fact nonsense. Its a poll, on fox news, that backs up the cnn poll, so what exactly would you like me to explain to you?

Are you aware of sample sizes in polls? No. It's a lesson everyone should've learned form 2016.

Every legitimate poll out there should provide a PDF that outlines the sample sizes they used in the poll.

In 2016 every single poll that showed Hillary beating Trump grossly oversampled Dems to the size of LARGER than the 2008 Obama turnout, which was never in the realm of reality in 2016.

It's obvious they are doing the same thing to control the narrative once again.

accel

Sep 11, 2015
By the way, OP, I linked a picture on Tuesday (see #16) showing that the poll averages are (the answers are for the question of should Trump be found guilty / removed):

47.0 Yes/remove
47.4 No/keep
... for a total of 0.4 No/keep

You want to know what the numbers are now after the Democrat days in hearings? Why, here they are:

47.2 Yes/remove
48.3 No/keep
... for a total of 1.1 No/keep

And the latest poll is +6 No - again significantly bigger in magnitude than the CNN poll you opened with.

Go figure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sign

DynamiteCop!

Member Series S
Mar 3, 2018
Guess what, and that's 51% of a 100% that doesn't matter and has no effect on the outcome.

People need to stop caring about irrelevant metrics.