• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: The Aunt Jemima brand, acknowledging its racist past, will be retired

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
You’re better than this.
e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.jpg

I believe people can be redeemed, but I also believe in seeing people for what they are when they show you what is behind the mask. We shouldn't delude ourselves into believing that well-meaning people who follow good causes are actually good people, or competent at what they aim to achieve. There are wolves among sheep, and there are sheep who open the sheepfold for the wolves.

Black lives didn’t matter enough for her not to buy the shit though...
Yeah way to fund racism, lady. Now delete your account, apologize to the black community, and vote Biden.

Mr. Peanut is a reflection of The Bourgeois and needs to be eaten with The Rich.

To be fair, there's literally no syrup in Aunt Jemima Syrup, so good riddance.

Grinchy

Banned
It's reactionary, but I can't say I care too much.

It would be kinda fucked up to just make it a white lady. They know they can't do that. I can imagine it getting replaced with Dr. Shaniqua's syrup or something to make it a positive black role model.

I think it's just changing the logo, they'll still sell the product, but it's still stupid and even though I don't give a shit what they call the syrup, all this does is empower the mob.
Yea they will just rebrand it. Like literally, 90% of people had no idea about the history about it. You can all talk about the small nuance of a stereotype but I never once heard any black person in the past say " man fuck Aunt Jemima, that shit is racist". These people will never stop and we have seen enough evidence of that lately.

Last edited:

yeehaw

Banned
we need to be out in the streets about this. this is FUCKING bullshit. it is a blatant infringement on first amendment rights.

I will be trying to organize a massive protest in my town about this this weekend. BLM terrorists cannot win. FUCK this shit. What are you all doing about this?

zombrex

Having children associate black characters with delicious syrup covered pancakes is going to do more to help racism by than any of these protesters ever did.

Honestly, I just made a joke about this to a friend on Whatsapp yesterday.
Like "Guess they are coming for Uncle Ben's next."

But I never thought that would be happening, since how can depicting a black man as your logo be in any way racist?

THIS IS SO BATSHIT INSANE.
Welcome to 2020 where all sense is thrown out the window

From the article: "Critics have pointed out the problematic use of a Black man to be the face of a white company, noting that Black men were often referred to as “boy” or “uncle” to avoid calling them “Mr.” during the country's Jim Crow era."

Last edited:
Are we going to see brands retire that exploit people in sweatshops and live on a couple of cents? Are we going to basically retire our entire civilization, because of the blood, sweat and tears of the working class who are the reason we are living comfortably today? The exploitation of black people is something inexcusable, but so was every form of slavery prior and beyond. And it still exists today. In fact, are we in the West genuinely free and happy, or is that an illusion we keep telling ourselves?

Good fucking lord dude. Is there absolutely anything you’ll grow a spine over? You want statues torn down, love seeing people destroy shit, want Aunt Jemima gone and you watch other dudes fuck your girlfriend. You’re better than this.
No, he isn't better. He's just here to be that edgy loser who always goes against the grain of any idea. He's a worm not worth treading on

ResetEra is ready to cancel the female spokeswoman in the Popeye’s chicken commercials. Also, Elvis has been cancelled there too.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
so apparently other brands are also considering removing black people from packaging

ironically, Mrs. Butterworth was modeled after Thelma "Butterfly" McQueen, who was the first black actor to win an Oscar, for a movie that has also recently been pulled.

so we are fighting back against racism by... removing the iconic work of this black woman from the popular conscious?

TaySan even you must see how absurd this is
An old trademark based off on a Black Slave Mammy isn't worth preserving.
the mammy stereotype is still around. have you never heard white allies call black women "Auntie"? up until a week or so ago the K-Hive Twitter was called "Madam Auntie Kamala Harris for VP!"

upYj8Bd.png

white libs are always othering black women, calling them "magical", saying "they will save us" etc. it's all unacknowledged mammyism. some might go so far as to say this got mainstream with Oprah which i tend to agree.

Last edited:

Banned
we need to be out in the streets about this. this is FUCKING bullshit. it is a blatant infringement on first amendment rights.

I will be trying to organize a massive protest in my town about this this weekend. BLM terrorists cannot win. FUCK this shit. What are you all doing about this?

Are you talking to yourself? Nobody cares about crappy syrup

Top Bottom