• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Co-Director of Dishonored: 'Call of Duty makes gamers stupid'

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Full article and source

Lead Designer Raphael Colantonio of the game Dishonored made a remarkable comment in the Belgian gaming magazine Chief. Appearently he isn't a big Call of Duty fan, and certainly not a big fan of the of Call of Duty type games in general.

According to him, games like Call of Duty are making gamers stupid and because of this they are not ready to play games like Dishonored. Call of Duty gamers are therefore not prepared for playing a game like Dishonored

"If you first make gamers stupid with Call of Duty and out of nowhere you come with a game like Dishonored ..."

He also told the magazine that he is not impressed with the Call of Duty series in general.

"I'm not very impressed with Call of Duty."

He is however very happy that there are games like Bioshock and Deus Ex. These games are really "training" players to become better and are letting players think. After playing games like that they are ready to play his game: Dishonored.

scitek

Honestly, I kind of agree. If I play a LOT of Call of Duty--like right after one of them comes out , if I marathon the shit out of it for a couple days--then go back to something like Crysis, my reflexes are shot from having had teammates aid me so much, no path to deviate from, etc. I can only imagine what someone who only plays Call of Duty would think about more complex games.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Boy I wish he had made his point better, because he's not wrong but the words he picked are just going to immediately turn people off.

Spookie

Well that's one way to generate attention for your game.

edit: Re-reading the article before I earn my self a tag for not reading.

Sotha Sil

Stumpokapow said:
Boy I wish he had made his point better, because he's not wrong but the words he picked are just going to immediately turn people off.

Well, to his credit, the quote is (probably) a translation of a translation.

Grinchy

Banned
I don't know if that's true. I would probably argue that the CoD formula attracts some dumb people, though.

stuminus3

Wait a minute... I enjoy the ever-living fuck out of Call of Duty but I also enjoy the likes of Total War and Europa Universalis. And how fucking smart do you need to be to play Bioshock and Deus Ex, anyway? They aren't even remotely complex. Yawn.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Stumpokapow said:
Pretty much this. There's an argument to be made but he chose to simply name-call.

Sibylus

Banned
Well, the underlying implication of his thinking isn't all that controversial (even if he muddled the point horrifically). People who consume only the most streamlined and flashiest things will end up being "taught" bad habits, to forgo understanding for gut response, to forgo depth and longevity for accessibility and "new car" smell. If all you eat, read, watch, and play are cheap junk food, choose-your-own-adventure books, summer action movies, and annualized twitch shooters, you're probably eroding your taste and appreciation for the finer stuff.

Stumpokapow said:

yeah not to mention the lack of explanation as to why. i agree with him, but im in now cognitive position or state of awakedness at the moment to think about it and explain why. he, however, probably is.

im also interested as to what about CoD doesn't impress him. we could get some insight as to what his game will avoid. (or attempt to)

tiff

Banned
Y'know, he really isn't far off, Call of Duty is...

He is however very happy that there are games like Bioshock and Deus Ex. These games are really "training" players to become better and are letting players think.
Nevermind.

(._.)

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
I like how he was just straight forward and blunt. He could have worded it better but I like how hes firing shots. not like what he is saying here will inspire anybody to change though. games are easier than ever these days.

The Stealth Fox

He's probably right, but what a poor choice of words...

Deus Ex made me think harder than most FPSes today (I just finished DX last week).

mclem

Stumpokapow said:

This.

"We're worried we may have difficulty appealing to players more used to Call of Duty, because our single-player design favours a lot more exploration and investigation than those titles do. Players who aren't put off by that, though, will be richly rewarded and get something which they might regard as a more compelling experience at the end of the day."... would convey roughly the same sentiment in a much more considerate manner.

mxgt

Banned
I think COD attracts a whole load of stupid gamers that love their instant gratification but the game makes people stupid? I doubt it.

It certainly isn't intellectually stimulating though.

RooMHM

I agree with him. CoD, Halo, Gears, etc make gamers stupid all the more when they ignore what has already been done (10 years ago). But Bioshock is up there with CoD in terms of gameplay...

szaromir

Banned
Some game designers are such tools. Adrian Chmielarz (from People Can Fly, the studio behind Painkiller and Bullestorm): "Halo 3 is objectively a terrible game"

I guess it worked though, it's the first time I heard about Dishonored.

mclem

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Weird.
I just ordered Black Ops not too long ago. Will report back with the results after a week or two.

If we don't hear back from you, we'll assume you've reached a level where pounding the keyboard with your fists is a bit too intellectually demanding.

Luigiv

So his argument is "I'm butt hurt because a completely different franchise doesn't work as a tutorial for my own game and now I have to include one"? That's even more stupid then CoD itself.

Interfectum

szaromir said:
Some game designers are such tools. Adrian Chmielarz (from People Can Fly, the studio behind Painkiller and Bullestorm): "Halo 3 is objectively a terrible game"

I agree with that. Strip away the hype and marketing and Halo 3 is pretty bad, IMO of course.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Cow Mengde said:
Haahaha Bioshock?
To be honest, that was really a game that let me think in the beginning. On how I could handle that Big Daddy, in which way. Not that much shooters did that before, at least for me.

mxgt said:
I think COD attracts a whole load of stupid gamers that love their instant gratification but the game makes people stupid? I doubt it.

It certainly isn't intellectually stimulating though.

maybe he means it trains them to hold CoD as the gold standard, and any games that make you think or don't have the instant gratification psychological exploits are poo to them by default.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Bioshock and Deus Ex are fine games, but come on. I turned my brain off when I played them sure enough. This FPS bashing from other FPS developers is getting old.

Kingsora said:
To be honest, that was really a game that let me think in the beginning. On how I could handle that Big Daddy, in which way. Not that much shooters did that before, at least for me.

You know what I did? I went up to him and shoot him. Very effective strategy.

Top Bottom