• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Co-op to win' is pissing me off, GAF

camelCase

literally always?
I don't. Lol

I play games until they get boring or if I can't get anything out of them in the first place. What are you thinking about? If you've decided to play a game there isn't much to toss around unless you really hate the thing.

camelCase

I actually do ask myself if something is worth my time investment. I was heavy into MMOs and I have invested a lot of time into the genre, often at the expense of other things (socially, professionally, personally), so maybe it's a skill you develop -- or don't. There are a lot of games out there, and I think it's perfectly valid to skip on games that exhibit flaws that take away the fun in playing them. If you believe in doing something that isn't fun because you've already invested yourself, this is a very good time to have an internal dialogue. Or don't. It's your time and money, you are free to spend them however you like.
Didn't see this so sorry for dp but

Yea, sometimes I do ask myself those things, I can see that, it's just I usually do my thinking about that before I've made the decision to sink time. I'll play it until the game is absolutely sour and then drop it completely because at that point I know I don't have anything left to get from it. It's a lazy way of accounting for it, but I dislike having existential thoughts about gaming, it takes me out of it.

Cato

Banned
I end up relying on CO-OP a little too much with games like Dark Souls. Some bosses I just can't seem to catch a break.

Dark Souls I think is a bad example. While CO-OP in DS1|2|3 is fun, you don't need co-op to beat any boss. You just need to learn how to approach each boss. Using co-op to beat the "unbeatable"
bosses is just a crutch, trying to pass a difficult obstacle without investing too much effort.
But hey, any player should just play how he/she wants. There is no right or wrong way to play as long as you enjoy yourself.
It is you that matter and how you want to play and enjoy the game. That is all. Not some geezer like me on the internet basically saying Git Gud.

My story here is from DS3. The single boss, outside of DLC, I repeatedly had any trouble with at all was Oceiros. But he was the super boss. For me, impossible to beat.
I just could not beat him anyhow I tried solo.

Until I found the strategy that worked for me.

No more two-handed UGS. One hand it and use the other hand for Magic Shield.
Hey, naked lizard dragon, where is your God now ?

The sense of achievement I had once I finally found out a strategy that worked for my playstyle that would make this boss a pushover. Unbelivable. That feeling of acheivement is what I want from a game.

Last edited:
It does and it doesn't. If you go into co-op, the game makes monsters stronger and harder than if you are facing them alone. But with other fighters on your side, they become a lot easier to fight.

It really doesn't though, at least not until endgame where everyone is rocking well above 400 defense, high elemental resist, and perfected their dps outlet whether that be stacking affinity or going for raw damage.

Tempered Elder dragons actually gain entirely new combos in a group fight versus solo with Teostra as an example being able to very easily combo and stunlock someone in a group while solo he's pretty damn easy.

Good example in the HR 20-30's me and one of my friends would always duo Elders together just for fun, we would average in the mid 20's minutes for all but Vaal who would be about 16-20min. The just for fun bit is very important because doing any of them solo would cut a good 5-10minutes off our mission times.

As for your own issues with Odogaron I am guessing you are fairly low HR he's simply the games first real example of a hyper aggressive creature. There are far worse with Kirin being the biggest one to pop into my head. The key for Odo DO NOT fight him in his nest if you are still getting used to his mechanics, his wall jumping tends to catch a lot of players offguard.

On to the primary topic I can feel your pain though, games like Destiny and The Division while both quite fun lock solo players out of the vast majority of content and I fear Anthem is going to be an exact repeat with the same issues.

I think MMO-lite is just a fact we are going to have to put up with for the foreseable future until the industry moves onto something else.

CO op is fine. I just don’t like online coop trophies tho
Trophies/Achievements that require MP I hate. Its totally fine with me in something like lets say Sea of Thieves but I dont like it when they ask me to get prestige in COD WWII for example. (so close, like 10 ranks away.)

Darak

I've never considered co-op as a mean to sell copies to your friends or to lure you into paying for an online subscription, but it makes a lot of sense.

For me the biggest gripe with co-op is not the difficulty imbalance (which exists), but being forced to play alongside 'friendly' AI. Extra points when such a nuisance is forced into games where it makes no sense (such as Resident Evil or Halo).

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
It's funny to me that the OP called out monster Hunter world, when the game is literally easier with a single player. The difficulty takes a step up when other players join.

Top Bottom