• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops Wii | Information and Hype Thread [Up: Videos/Impressions Start p.257]

fabprems

Hi,

Welcome in this thread where we'll talk about Activision best kept secret : the Wii version of a CoD game.

First, let me ask you :
  • Do you love HD graphics, online lobby, DLC, beta test and have any information on a game before you buy it ? If yes, please click here
  • Do you play on the kiddy system for the kids, you know, this thing players love to laugh about and developpers don't want hear about ? If no, please go there

Well, now we can get started !

What do we know about the game :

Launch said:
9th november with the others versions, for the first time
49.99$
CALL_OF_DUTY_BLACK_OPS_WII.jpg
Graphics said:
Treyarch are promising to blow Wii owners away with a version of Call Of Duty: Black Ops that's similar to the 360, PS3 and PC versions.

Treyarch were behind the rather rough-looking Modern Warfare Wii port last year but, according to the company's Studio Head Mark Lamia, players won't believe that Black Ops is running on Wii.

"We do everything we can to make the two as similar as possible," Lamia told ONM.

"Whereas we're able to create the same assets that can be displayed on the PS3, PC and the 360, we actually have to do quite a bit of work both on the technology and the assets and the investment is heavy to get it working on the Wii but we're committed to it as we were with World At War and Call Of Duty 3 which was a Wii launch game.

"What we want to be able to do is create the most intense, the most cinematic 'you can't believe this is running on the Wii' situation that you could imagine. That's what people expect from Call Of Duty. They expect to be blown away. We're going to blow you away."
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396914
Well, everybody can predict that's more or less PR bullshit, i don't expect any big difference from Modern Warfare et WaW graphic-wise

Accessories said:
PDP's Limited Edition Call of Duty: Black Ops Wii Headset
40.jpg

http://wii.ign.com/articles/112/1127089p1.html
Voice chat, yaaaaay !

What we don't know about the game
Everything else... but let's be optimistic, Activision is surely gonna give us some screenshots of the 2009 alpha of the game really soon !

Does anybody know something about the game itself ??

UPDATES :
  • First rule of Wii CoD games? Don't talk about Wii CoD games.
  • Some people care about the game !
  • The treyarch PR (@JD_2020) posted a message on twitter last satuday : "We'll have more to talk about the Wii version soon... Stay tuned!" Soon after the stealth launch JD ?
  • Gamingeek found an old preview from Cubed3 where Treyarch say that the game will be identical vs. PS360 versions. And there will be ONLINE CO-OP ! Hooray !
  • The game will be slicky sick (or sicky slick..whatever)
  • Nintendo
    magazine aks "Why have we heard so little about the Wii version?". Good question.
  • Strider2K99 said:
    Interview with Senior Producer on Wii version

http://www.callofduty.com/intel/410

To summarize:
    5v5 online multiplayer
    Includes Wager Matches and Contracts
    Full Online 4 player Co-op Combat Training and Zombies
    Supports Motion and Classic Controller
    Ability to send invites and messages without Friend Codes and invite recent players
  • There's now a great OT for all versions of Black Ops if you want to discuss about the game itself and not the wii specifics http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411921
  • Yay, first screens and impressions by gamingeek in this post
  • DLC confirmed ?
    "Expand your experience with downloadable content from the Call Of Duty Store. All downloaded content includes new features and maps found in Call Of Duty: Black Ops.
    **Additional fees may be required for Add-on Content.
    This game allows you to connect to the internet and download add-on content (such as data or services) for Wii Points. Please keep the following in mind when downloading licences for add-on content..." etc. etc.
    It does go on about similar stuff, and it does say it will be stored in an SD card etc.
  • Lots of videos and impressions on page 8,9,10
  • First review is out : 90% for Nintendo Magazine (uk)

IMAGES !!!!! YAAAAAAAAAY
gamingeek said:
The blur from the bad quality pics just blurs out the crappy textures.

snc00048f.jpg

snc00056.jpg
[*] First patch for the game will be online week 47
The game will prompt you to download the update when you start Multiplayer once it is available. If you are already running the game at this time, switch to Single Player and restart Multiplayer to get it. The update cannot be downloaded from Zombies, and you will be prompted to switch over to Multiplayer in order to access it.

LIVE FIXES: 11/23
* o Unable to connect to multiplayer without switching profiles
* o Freezes during matchmaking when using the LAN adapter
* o Players were sometimes kicked out af a game right before it started
* o Changes to custom controls and options were not saving correctly ("Unbound glitch")
* o Wager match specific bug in Radiation that caused dead players to teleport
* o Fixed "care package glitch" where player could get infinite number of 'Sam Turret', 'Care Package', and 'Sentry Gun' killstreaks

Amir0x

Banned
OP wanted to repurpose this thread for discussion of the Wii game instead of an official topic so re-opened

does a USB-hub work with the Wii?

my two Wii USB sockets are already used and I want to connect a keyboard and that headset as well.

Disguises

Yay. Hopefully some news soon. Crazy how they have not released any screens or videos of this version yet. Quite looking forward to it myself. Not looking forward to a long wire from the back of the Wii to my face though :/

Edit: Hope there's zombie mode included. Probably wishing too much for the replay feature to be in :(

Dabanton said:
How many players does this support?
WaW had 8 and MW:Reflex had 10. Probably take a good guess at 10-12 if they've optimised things

iamaustrian said:
does a USB-hub work with the Wii?

my two Wii USB sockets are already used and I want to connect a keyboard and that headset as well.

It does, although there might be compatibility problems with certain models.

Disguises said:
Yay. Hopefully some news soon. Crazy how they have not released any screens or videos of this version yet. Quite looking forward to it myself. Not looking forward to a long wire from the back of the Wii to my face though :/

WaW had 8 and MW:Reflex had 10. Probably take a good guess at 10-12 if they've optimised things

makes you wonder why the hell they didn't use a USB dongle and made the headset wireless.
ugh

edit: thanks betterWorldz

fabprems

Disguises said:
Yay. Hopefully some news soon. Crazy how they have not released any screens or videos of this version yet.

Classical Activision shit unfortunately... My only hope is that, like last year, a ninja from Treyarch will give us somes tidbits before the launch...

SuperJay

Where's all the infos at? I want me some infos!

Seriously, Treyarch, it's about time you clued us in. I want to see this thing in motion.

Roxas

fabprems said:
Classical Activision shit unfortunately... My only hope is that, like last year, a ninja from Treyarch will give us somes tidbits before the launch...

I think that guy got paddled hard by his bosses for his outbursts :lol . IIRC most of his posts were hastily edited, especially the ones about the credits.

Jethro

And I thought the Thread was reopened because there are screenshots >_>

I really looking forward to the Wii Version. Still playing MW on Wii.

fabprems

Jethro said:
Still playing MW on Wii.
Same here, the online multiplayer was really solid with on hackers/cheaters...

So, I read some tidbits on the CoD boards :
- The zombie mode should be in the wii version
- The treyarch PR (@JD_2020) posted a message on twitter last satuday : "We'll have more to talk about the Wii version soon... Stay tuned!" Maybe he wanted to say "soon... after the stealth launch" ??

Vagabundo

Treyarch do good work on the Wii. So fingers crossed for this one.

Not sure if I will bite yet, but Reflex was fun.

Luigiv said:
Obvious troll topic is obvious.

Still, it is well done, 8/10.

Haunted said:
hillarious tumbleweed.jpg

Didn't you trolls read the OP??

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know if you have to use that headset or can you use Wii Speak?

Already have Wii Speak so don't really want to get a headset if I end up getting Black Ops on Wii.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I really don't care about CoD on the HD platforms but if this gets good reviews I might bite. I just love first person games with the Wii remote.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
While I dont play it, my housemate's boyfriend has poured nearly 100 hours into Modern Warfare on my Wii. He friggen loves the pointer, and the controls are rock solid.

He keeps asking me when this comes out, so it wish it would already so he would shut up.

Oh God. That headset. I fucking HATE that design cause every headset that I ever purchased with that shit design dies within a month or so. It's like they are a curse in this fucking society!

Boerseun

Banned
I'm excited for Goldeneye and Conduit 2 moreso than Black Ops. All the same, I trust in Treyarch and will definitely be picking this up if the single player is a bit meatier than in MWReflex.

Regarding the headset, I already have a nice one I use for Skype and playing games in the dark. Even so, I am wondering what kind of bundles will be available with this Black Ops branded one from PDP.

Luigiv

Vagabundo said:
Treyarch do good work on the Wii. So fingers crossed for this one.

Not sure if I will bite yet, but Reflex was fun.

Didn't you trolls read the OP??
I skimmed over it. It's nothing substantial. The only thing this thread does is highlight how little information we do have, which seems pretty trollish to me.

By the way, I was just joking. It's not like theirs anything in the OP actually worth discussing.

Disguises

fabprems said:
9th november with the others versions, for the first time?
Huh? As far as I remember, the other 2 were released the same day as the other versions were they not?

fabrems said:
but let's be optimistic, Activision is surely gonna give us some screenshots of the 2009 alpha of the game really soon !
Oh yea, I remember now. The only screens they released for Reflex were from an alpha build :lol . Oh Activision.

gamingeek

There are a few more details in the Cubed 3 preview from the end of May
http://www.cubed3.com/preview/343

Speaking to Treyarch's enthusiastic studio head, Mark Lamia, a new and exciting insight has been found in Treyarch's upcoming title, Call of Duty: Black Ops. Set to launch across all the major platforms - Wii, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC - Treyarch have literally thrown their entire 200 personnel team behind the project with a new hands on approach. Within this, the Wii version has been built from the ground up by a separate team, but will be almost exactly the same as its Xbox 360 and PS3 counterparts. Despite the different teams, every area of Treyarch has touched the Wii version - from the the multiplayer team, to the single player team, even the co-op team has joined in the fray. The team are working hard to get the Wii version to match its counterparts frame-for-frame.

Lamia explained that there will be online co-op for the Wii, a rarity that is usually overlooked when it comes to Wii editions of multiformat games.

fabprems

Disguises said:
Huh? As far as I remember, the other 2 were released the same day as the other versions were they not?
You're right, technically, but W@W was so supply-constrained at launch that I couldn't find it for a month, and at the launch of Modern warfare 2 we got Modern warfare 1....

MYE

Cant wait to see what the Wii Team of 2 programmers can pull off this time.

Dudes should ask for a raise.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
MYE said:

i remember Phyzixwhyz saying CoD 3 was two people MW RE was a lot more from the sounds of it Black Ops has a sizable dev team working on it... just holy fuck with the lack of media, the DS version has had screen shots etc (I know different Dev's but same publiser, in the Words of almight GoB "Come on!!")

Disguises

fabprems said:
You're right, technically, but W@W was so supply-constrained at launch that I couldn't find it for a month, and at the launch of Modern warfare 2 we got Modern warfare 1....
Oh yeah. My bad, totally slipped my mind that Reflex was 2 years late

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
MYE said:

"Man that guy's right. We do so much work, and we get no appreciation for it! We should totally ask for a raise!"
"Yeah! Let's do it!"

BLACK OPS TO BE THE LAST COD ON WII, SAYS ACTIVISION

gamingeek

jufonuk said:
so why all this Black ops Wii has been delayed talk going around?

Treyarch's Josh Olin said wii details would "come later in the year", giving the impression that it was going to release much later than the other versions.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
jufonuk said:
so why all this Black ops Wii has been delayed talk going around?
It mostly comes from a Twitter post or something that describes information as coming "later this year". Considering that the game is coming out in a matter of weeks, and "later this year" involves from here to the end of the year, and only "more information", people are worried that the game in fact isn't going to be released this year, with information coming soon.

Edit: Beat like a red-headed stepchild...

fabprems

MYE said:

You're quite unfaire cause Treyarch is one of the few devs outside from Nintendo who give a shit about the Wii audience...

And for Activision, even if they are traditionally very skeptical toward the wii audience, I think this time around they want to put all their weight on the Goldeneye "remake"...

jufonuk

not tag worthy
also Nintendo Uk does not have anything about the game in the coming soon section, golden eye is listed Black Ops isn't are thye deliberatly going to delay the game to give Goldeneye a fair crack, or is it just Nintendo Uk being pants with games listings again?

also for comparision sake I hope they include any blood/profanity/gore in the Wii version that is in the HD Versions

pvpness

Total lack of media has to be because of Goldeneye. Otherwise why wouldn't you wanna show a ground up effort asap? >:|

Disguises

jufonuk said:
also Nintendo Uk does not have anything about the game in the coming soon section, golden eye is listed Black Ops isn't are thye deliberatly going to delay the game to give Goldeneye a fair crack, or is it just Nintendo Uk being pants with games listings again?

also for comparision sake I hope they include any blood/profanity/gore in the Wii version that is in the HD Versions
Yeah, makes sense for them to delay it a few weeks to give Goldeneye some breathing space :/. WaW had just as much blood/profanity as the HD versions. Can't remember if limbs got blown off though. (I'm pretty sure that happened in the HD versions, right?)

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Dam. So this being delayed is a real possibility? About the lack of Info, remember that the first (and only) info we had for MW:R were leaks.

gamingeek

doomed1 said:
It mostly comes from a Twitter post or something that describes information as coming "later this year". Considering that the game is coming out in a matter of weeks, and "later this year" involves from here to the end of the year, and only "more information", people are worried that the game in fact isn't going to be released this year, with information coming soon.

Edit: Beat like a red-headed stepchild...

:lol

Sorry.

Been replaying COD WaW and intend to play through COD4 too before Black Ops.

WaW looking better now its back on my new SDTV, but ugh, game hasn't aged well. Very linear and frantic, smoke and grenades and screen shake. Worse than that, I went into an empty bunker to clear it out and grab some weapons. I walk out and magically 4 japanese appear in the empty bunker behind me and banzai attack me.

And, I'm playing on the easiest setting just to get through it, but I don't think this game even has different difficulty settings. I mean, WTF you can still get insta-killed by bayonets, grenades, bad guys running at you point blank and spraying you with bullets for 2 seconds. You might as well be playing on the hardest setting, there is no difference here. That's bad design. I prefer the russian campaign too.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Lonely1 said:
Dam. So this being delayed is a real possibility? About the lack of Info, remember that the first (and only) info we had for MW:R were leaks.
I don't think so. We'll probably get our media the day before or the day after it comes out. But hey, anything can happen in a cartoon movie...

Top Bottom