• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code Vein |OT| Dark Souls, Anime and Waifus

cireza

Banned
Completed the game tonight and it was awesome. I am really impressed by the overall quality of the experience, seeing that this is a first game.

The story was actually much better than I would have guessed, with a lot of storylines for NPCs to discover. The world is also great and the environment were much more varied that I also expected. There is still some re-use, but it is actually pretty clever.

Level-design was fantastic from the beginning to the end, with a very high point in the middle of the game (where the game throws at you a massive region with a very complex layout, you will understand when you get there).

Character builds are varied with lots of possibilities and strategies for the bosses. There is a lot of room for experimentation and that's great.

The game felt a bit easier than the Dark Souls games. I find that it was perfect for me, challenging but not stupid. I managed to beat each boss in a couple attempts, and honestly that's good for me. There were a couple bosses were I had to work a bit more, so it's okay. Not frustrating, not too easy.

I got the best ending without following a guide. The game is very well made and I felt what I needed to do to get this ending. Clever game-design.

The game also has a lot of quality of life features that make traversal a lot easier, like the path that is memorized on the map, items and enemies that appear on the map as well, and the companion that talks about the things around you. Very useful. The companion AI is also great, never falling in the pits, always very aggressive, and trying to revive you every time it can. Great great AI. The enemies are fine, the AI is good enough to offer a challenge, stupid enough to keep it fun. Enemies have a lot of attacks and combos, this is a good point as it forces the player to memorize and get better at dodging/parrying.

Visually the game looked very good on One X, and was smooth most of the time. I like how the character is incorporated in all the cut-scenes, this creates some good immersion. Soundtrack was also top quality.

Honestly, there isn't much negative to say about the game. I was pleasantly surprised and it is a runner for my GOTY.

sublimit

Banned
code-vein_patch110.jpg

CODE VEIN - Update Patch Ver. 1.10
24 October 2019
Patch 1.10 has now been released for CODE VEIN! The update implements the following:
ADDITIONAL CONTENTS

• New creation accessories, color pallets and face paints, Halloween-themed.
  • New function for hair parts that allows to use as left-right symmetry.

UPDATES

Character creation

• Character creation data can be available at the camp.
  • Extensions can be made symmetrical.
  • Adjustments to accessory costs.
Exploration

• Add option to lock the direction of radar mini-map.
  • Trial of Blood only occurs a second time when the dropped item is picked up.
  • Option to turn off exploration conversation.

Battle

• Pop up message appears when the player is afflicted with status effect.
  • Option to turn off damage screen effects when player is about to die.
  • Ichor can be collected from sandbags at the camp.
System

• Option to reduce difficulty which has been raised in new game plus.
  • Buddies can be changed at the Mistle.
  • Some item icons are adjusted.

BUG FIXES

• Fixed application errors on the following conditions: Moving to event scenes with specific Blood Veil ; Guarding continuously right after pushing confirm button in front of a closed door ; Rebooting the game on Steam after moving to sleep mode during launching the game.
  • Fixed matching facility while using keywords on Steam.
  • Adjusted battle effects.
  • Adjusted enemy’s movement.
  • Fixed other minor issues.
Happy Halloween, Revenants

Pejo

Update sounds good. I need to get back in and play this again. I've been so busy the past few weeks after work.

sublimit

Banned
I think my favorite of the updates is this one:
"Option to turn off damage screen effects when player is about to die. "

Jesus that was so annoying since you could barely see what was happening on the screen.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
code-vein_patch110.jpg

CODE VEIN - Update Patch Ver. 1.10
24 October 2019
Patch 1.10 has now been released for CODE VEIN! The update implements the following:
ADDITIONAL CONTENTS

• New creation accessories, color pallets and face paints, Halloween-themed.
  • New function for hair parts that allows to use as left-right symmetry.

UPDATES

Character creation

• Character creation data can be available at the camp.
  • Extensions can be made symmetrical.
  • Adjustments to accessory costs.
Exploration

• Add option to lock the direction of radar mini-map.
  • Trial of Blood only occurs a second time when the dropped item is picked up.
  • Option to turn off exploration conversation.

Battle

• Pop up message appears when the player is afflicted with status effect.
  • Option to turn off damage screen effects when player is about to die.
  • Ichor can be collected from sandbags at the camp.
System

• Option to reduce difficulty which has been raised in new game plus.
  • Buddies can be changed at the Mistle.
  • Some item icons are adjusted.

BUG FIXES

• Fixed application errors on the following conditions: Moving to event scenes with specific Blood Veil ; Guarding continuously right after pushing confirm button in front of a closed door ; Rebooting the game on Steam after moving to sleep mode during launching the game.
  • Fixed matching facility while using keywords on Steam.
  • Adjusted battle effects.
  • Adjusted enemy’s movement.
  • Fixed other minor issues.
Happy Halloween, Revenants
That witch hat is TOO small.

sublimit

Banned
Man i'm kinda stuck on the
Virgin Born.
:/

I know there is a way to practically one shot him but that would be cheesing. But i can't say i'm enjoying the battle. This has been the first boss battle that i don't like.

Pejo

Man I still can't for the life of me beat that invasion that happens in the Cathedral area. It seems like the enemies that spawn are never quite the same and in the same order, and my companion dies so fast (I've been using Mia for the soul drain buff).

sublimit

Banned
Man I still can't for the life of me beat that invasion that happens in the Cathedral area. It seems like the enemies that spawn are never quite the same and in the same order, and my companion dies so fast (I've been using Mia for the soul drain buff).
I also had problems with that specific invasion when i had Yakumo and if i remember correctly i came back to it later and complete it when i had Io. The good thing with invasions is that you can skip them and come back to them later when you have acquired gifts that help with crowd management.

cireza

Banned
This is definitely one of the most difficult ones. I somehow managed to deal with it without having to return later, but it was difficult. Did it with Yakumo as far as I remember.

The update is pretty good with some great QoL improvements, you can see that the development team is well aware of its product, and what can be improved.

This game has been nothing but great, pleasant surprises one after another.

sublimit

Banned
This is definitely one of the most difficult ones. I somehow managed to deal with it without having to return later, but it was difficult. Did it with Yakumo as far as I remember.

The update is pretty good with some great QoL improvements, you can see that the development team is well aware of its product, and what can be improved.

This game has been nothing but great, pleasant surprises one after another.
This is one of the few cases of games that i can't wait for its DLC. I hope they deliver on that front as well with completely new areas,new weapons,new blood codes/vestiges and new co-op characters as well.

mcz117chief

Man, I only played the public network test and really enjoyed it but lately I have played so many games I forgot about this. I will need to put this on my list to buy is sometime soon.

Reactions: Isa

Fuz

Banned
It's a good game, but by god I HATE those fucking labyrinths. Also not completely convinced on the combat system.

But a really good game nevertheless.

Armorian

Banned
I think this game is quite good (solid 8/10) but Cathedral level is the worst shit i have ever seen in any Souls like game (or maybe even any TPP game).

Reactions: Fuz

sublimit

Banned
Hellfire Knight launch trailers (the Japanese shows more gameplay)

English:

Japanese:

I'm not too impressed to be honest. I see a lot of reskins (with very few alterations) from the main game both in terms of weapon designs as well as bosses (the boss reminds me a lot of Successor of the Claw). I expected more unique content...

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
It’s a great game and I’m enjoying it, just a few hours in. So far it seems like an easier souls.

But I have to be honest, this levelling system is crazy. It’s almost like it was planned you only go through an area once. I was level 20 before exiting the first underground area.

Plus I sort of wish somebody had told me not to give those unique items to just anybody. Damn you big boobed car lady, i thought we were going places...

• LOL

Armorian

Banned
It’s a great game and I’m enjoying it, just a few hours in. So far it seems like an easier souls.

But I have to be honest, this levelling system is crazy. It’s almost like it was planned you only go through an area once. I was level 20 before exiting the first underground area.

Plus I sort of wish somebody had told me not to give those unique items to just anybody. Damn you big boobed car lady, i thought we were going places...

Bosses are easy as fuck for the most part if you have played Souls games before (and with Ai) but wait for Cannoneer and the Blade Bearer battle, up there with the toughest bosses in the genre :p

I hope the upcoming DLCs to have more unique content. I'm curious to hear impressions though.
Yes, this was a bit disappointing. I was hoping for more customization and less reused content, it's not bad... but it's not great either. I hope the other two DLCs will turn out much better.

cireza

Banned
So the DLC has a new area accessible from the Depths, the map to it is found late in the game.

I just had a quick glance at it.

Looks like a rocky/red area, not very original. Enemies seem to be recycled (at least many of the first ones). There is one big guy, not too sure if he is the "strong type" that I have seen at other places.
The DLC introduces a challenge system for the area, with some little things to unlock. It is also possible to scale the difficulty as wanted.
There is a blood code too, dedicated to sharing stats with you NPC partner. I did not try it yet, but most definitely will, it is probably effective in this area.
There seem to be some memories as well.
Will come back with more info when I will have explored some more

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Ok so I played the DLC, and I am not too hot about it. But I am the kind of person who was never satisfied with any DLC. Still this is a bit disappointing.

The area is pretty small, this is not fine, and full of some intense fights, and this is actually fine.

Then you can unlock the boss. The boss has a ton of HP, it was clearly made with extremely leveled players in mind, which I am not really. I am leveled just enough to complete the game. So even memorizing his patterns, I can make it to around 60% damage dealt.

There is also a memory, but you only see a third of it.

It seems like there will be two other DLCs pretty much built on the same structure. This is not really engaging. Not as much as a real region.

It really does not add anything of interest to the main game. Not recommended.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Easy as fuck, for me. I've done most bosses at first try. I died a lot at the water poledancer, and a bit less at Mido.

So you're highly skilled or got lucky, I died like ~30 rimes or more, rest of the bosses were piss easy in comparison (aside from Gilded Hunter).

Fuz

Banned
So you're highly skilled or got lucky, I died like ~30 rimes or more, rest of the bosses were piss easy in comparison (aside from Gilded Hunter).
I don't think I'm particularly skilled... I was using the Zweihander with Yakumo, when you get in trouble just block everyting until they both target him (who is quite tanky) and heal. Works for pretty much all bosses¹.

¹except that fucking poledancer.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Ok so, took me a couple of days but finally beat it, solo. Had no choice on the solo part as the damn request help thing is broken and no bigger even replied to my request.

great game, very solid. Both easy and hard in spots, but a very good game. Anybody who enjoys souls will love it.

also...

TIDDIES.

I give it five wobbly eggs.

sublimit

Banned
For a guy (me lol) that don't like Souls game or Bloodborne, but liked Nioh, do you think i should try?
Well first of all do you hate the anime aesthetic? Because if you do then it will probably not let you appreciate other most important elements the game brings in. There's also a demo that you can try.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
There you go.
Very differently balances games. Code Vein was balanced more towards playing with an NPC.

Even watching really skillful players like Lobos trying to force their way through Code Vein solo was often like watching someone trying to eat broken glass.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Very differently balances games. Code Vein was balanced more towards playing with an NPC.

Even watching really skillful players like Lobos trying to force their way through Code Vein solo was often like watching someone trying to eat broken glass.
I think using the AI is a crutch or intended for people that want to play the game casually. I just can't play a game where the AI does my work for me and if I did I honestly would have felt like I didn't beat it. Not just in this game but all games that do this.

sublimit

Banned
I think using the AI is a crutch or intended for people that want to play the game casually. I just can't play a game where the AI does my work for me and if I did I honestly would have felt like I didn't beat it. Not just in this game but all games that do this.
I don't play games in order to prove something to myself or others. I like to play the games as they were intended by the developers to be played. If a game is balanced towards solo (like Demon's,Dark and Bloodborne) then i'll play them solo. If not like CV then i'll play with an NPC. But in From games even when some of the bosses are really hard the experience is still fun because the games were designed like that.

But trying to beat the invasions in CV and some of the later bosses solo when they were obviously intended to be played along with an NPC is not my idea of fun.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I don't play games in order to prove something to myself or others. I like to play the games as they were intended by the developers to be played. If a game is balanced towards solo (like Demon's,Dark and Bloodborne) then i'll play them solo. If not like CV then i'll play with an NPC. But in From games even when some of the bosses are really hard the experience is still fun because the games were designed like that.

But trying to beat the invasions in CV and some of the later bosses solo when they were obviously intended to be played along with an NPC is not my idea of fun.
It is okay to play the game casually if you want or if it is too hard/frustrating for you. I just can't do it myself.

cireza

Banned
Game was designed with the AI in mind, and the AI is actually very capable in Code Vein. Very good implementation.

Of course you can play solo and make the game harder, this is a matter of preferences, nothing more.

It is exactly the same in Dark Souls. You can summon NPCs before pretty much every boss. You are not forced to.

Here is my character for my second run :
FMf4rkK.jpg

So I've been breezing through this game, dispatching most bosses either first time or after a couple of attempts. And then holy difficulty spike, Batman. Smough and Ornstein version 2. It took me around 2 hours to beat them. And straight after those two? Yeah, that wasn't easy, either. Though I managed to get it done in around half an hour. I hope it doesn't get harder from here...

Top Bottom