• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Codemasters just announced Dirt 4

DD

21Ea6kZ.jpg

DiRT 4 features a game-changing system called Your Stage; an innovative rally route creation tool that allows you to produce an almost-infinite number of unique stages at the press of a button. You choose your location and set the route parameters, then Your Stage does the hard work to create a unique rally stage that you can race, share with your friends, and then challenge them to beat your time. Your Stage allows experienced rally players to create longer, more technical routes, whilst newcomers can create simpler shorter routes as they hone their skills.

With DiRT 4, we've sought to combine the levels of thrill and realism from last year's DiRT Rally with the fearless excitement, fun, and adrenaline-fuelled races previously seen in its critically acclaimed prequels DiRT 2 and DiRT 3.

Featuring classic rally racing that continues to build on the foundations set by the Colin McRae Rally games, the brutal, fast-paced racing from the official FIA World Rallycross Championship, the crazy battles of racing trucks and buggies, and the outrageous fun of open events in Joyride, players will face challenges from locations that span three continents.

Out for PS4, Xbox One and Windows PC in June 2017.

Teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MPWza951iw

Amazing gameplay stuff (track generator shown here!) by Reverb Shock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1R5erH4Rew

More here: http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/01/announcing-dirt-4/

k2SZCUX.jpg

I liked Rally but I would like something more in line with the original Dirt.

Dirt 3 had too many silly stunt courses.

MaxiLive

I'll remove the image :)

Codemasters said:
Today, we're delighted to announce that DiRT 4 will fearlessly race to PS4, Xbox One and Windows PC in June 2017. Hot on the heels of 2016's critically and commercially successful DiRT Rally, DiRT 4 takes the passion and authenticity of off-road racing to the next level, whilst also re-introducing you all to white-knuckle truck and buggy racing in Landrush....

DiRT 4 features a game-changing system called Your Stage; an innovative rally route creation tool that allows you to produce an almost-infinite number of unique stages at the press of a button. You choose your location and set the route parameters, then Your Stage does the hard work to create a unique rally stage that you can race, share with your friends, and then challenge them to beat your time. Your Stage allows experienced rally players to create longer, more technical routes, whilst newcomers can create simpler shorter routes as they hone their skills.

Dirt Rally now Dirt 4 they are smashing them out. Hopefully there is less gymkhana but "Stage" sounds interesting.

Now hopefully they will give us some information soon on when Dirt Rally PSVR will release, i'm impatient.

Tommi84

Day 1. Just fckn day1.

The route creation sounds awesome. I just hope it will have Dirt Rally feel into it.

Azzawon

IN

Edit: Your Stage sounds like GRID 2's LiveRoute technology on steroids. Sounds like it will work perfectly for rally stages if done well. Can't wait.

Nzyme32

Nice! Though I don't think I care so much for the Dirt series outside Dirt Rally, which was exactly what I'd been waiting for for years, the standard Dirt series is still a ton of fun; just nothing that's a huge priority to me vs rally.

Jimrpg

If it's like Dirt Rally I'm all in. Was my GOTY 2015 and beat out The Witcher 3 it was that good.

Bit concerned they called it Dirt 4, hopefully it's more real Rally than all that other stuff in Dirt 2 and 3.

jesu

No mention of gymkhana, that's good.
I loved 1 and 2 (and Showdown) but could only get so far in Dirt 3 before I got stuck at some gymkhana stage :(
Hopefully it's still arcadey unlike the lat one.

TDonk

Oh yisssssssss!

Finally. Dirt3 was one of my favourite games last gen.

I'm ready for online Infection once again. The Gymkhana elements were perfect for this mode.

vsMIC

Interesting, but hopefully it does not stray too far away from the brutal sim focus of Dirt Rally. I loved Dirt Rally and just want more of that with a bit more polish...

Not at all into racing games, but the Dirt series has always had a wonderful engine. I cannot wait to see what they do with it on PC.

Rodelero

I'd have been happier if they'd announced Dirt Rally 2, to be honest. Dirt Rally restored my interest in Codemasters games, having grown bored of the Dirt trilogy which tried to shove lots of experiences I had no interest in down my throat. I hope their focus is correct and that there's plenty of core rallying content.

I want a serious rallying game, not some sensationalist tripe. I especially don't want to have to do drifting events.

cackhyena

HELL YEAH

I'd have been happier if they'd announced Dirt Rally 2, to be honest. Dirt Rally restored my interest in Codemasters games, having grown bored of the Dirt trilogy which tried to shove lots of experiences I had no interest in down my throat. I hope their focus is correct and that there's plenty of core rallying content.

I want a serious rallying game, not some sensationalist tripe. I especially don't want to have to do drifting events.
Dirt Rally isn't even that old. I think it's okay to bring what they did with that to this and get a good mix. You'll get Dirt Rally 2.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This would actually be a good Switch title imo.

Actually, Codemasters is in the Nintendo Switch partners slide (as stated in the presentation, that slide is made of partners "working on games"), so I guess we'll have to wait and see what else they could be cooking for the platform, then :p

Jimrpg

Dirt Rally isn't even that old. I think it's okay to bring what they did with that to this and get a good mix. You'll get Dirt Rally 2.

That's the thing, the fans wanted a real Rally game and they got it with Dirt Rally. It was early access and really well supported.

If they're going back to Dirt 3, they're effectively abandoning the 'Rally'.

membran

Day one if it has VR support on PC, if not it's a bargain bin buy for me, if at all.

I don't know if their VR support for Dirt Rally will mean that this release will feature it as well. It's going to be interesting to see whether AAA racing games will continue to support VR or drop it. And I don't want to see anymore exclusivity regarding VR. A PSVR exclusive would be somewhat of a kick in the teeth.

Wait and see, I guess. It's not in the announcement page or in the feature list reported by gamereactor, so that's really not a good sign.

https://www.gamereactor.eu/news/500843/Dirt+4+announced,+and+its+not+far+away/

Here are the main features:
● Over 50 off-road vehicles including Ford Fiesta R5, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI, Subaru WRX STI NR4 and Audi Sport quattro S1 E2
● Five rally places with millions of routes: Australia, Spain, Michigan, Sweden and Wales
● Official game of the FIA World Rallycross Championship - with races in Montalegre, Lohéac Brittany, Hell, Holjes & Lydden Hill in a variety of different series
● Landrush - Short Dirt Track Race in Pro Buggies, Pro-2 Trucks, Pro 4 trucks and cross-cart vehicles in California, Nevada and Mexico
● Joyride: time racing, scrap racing, free play areas and exciting challenges to send them to friends
● Dirt Academy: DirtFish Rally School in Washington,
● Career Mode - Create a driver, complete all disciplines, successfully promote sponsorship, and build a team with clear goals and rewards
● Contests: Master daily, weekly and monthly challenges against friendly players around the world
● Next generation racer: live ladder, leagues and tournaments, cross-platform best-lists and improved CREST telemetry system
● Tuning: Improve setup based on vehicle, conditions and weather conditions
● Damage and repairs: Wear and damage are carried out with an improved damage model. Damage can be remedied by hiring engineers and mechanics for the service area of the team, but they have only a limited period of time to make repairs between the races

GKB

I remember DiRT 3's rally course being too wide, felt like driving on highway. I hope that's not the case with this one.

Would've preferred DiRT Rally 2 but if it's good then i'll definitely buy it.

No DLC for DiRT Rally and directly to DiRT 4 ... idk

Also... I had hoped for a new GRID game with a graphics engine helped by the Evolution guys :(

Top Bottom