• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Codemasters rescue Sega Racing Studio

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Definitely deserves its own thread:

http://www.developmag.com/news/29700/Codemasters-confirms-Sega-Racing-Studio-swoop

Britsoft firm buys Solihull-based studio, offering jobs to over 40 developers

Codemasters has confirmed to Develop that it is to take over Sega's UK Racing Studio, as we revealed earlier this week.

In a statement, the firm described the move to step in and save the studio - the closure of which we reported just over two weeks ago - as 'an agreement that facilitates accelerated growth' for Codemasters' work in the racing genre.

At its HQ in Southam, close to the Sega Racing team in Solihull, Codemasters already hosts a large development studio responsible for the likes of Colin McRae and Race Driver.

It also has a new studio in Guildford, opened last year, and an art outsourcing team in Kuala Lumpur which was established in 2006.

The acquisition means Codemasters will add 40 staff to its payroll, taking the total headcount for Codemasters Studios past the 300 mark.

“In seizing this opportunity, we have created additional resources to escalate our plans in the racing segment,” said Rod Cousens, CEO of Codemasters.

“We hope to welcome more than 40 people to the company and we have enjoyed the full co-operation of our friends at Sega in making this happen. It is good business for Codemasters, an exciting prospect and there will be more to come as we are not content to stand still.”

Wonder what they will be developing, as Codies already have teams for DiRT and GRiD.

Somebody rescue the Warthog guys and make a new Richard Burns (RIP) Rally. Or at least a game in the same vein but with a different name.

Despite the fact I'm not sure we need more racing from Codies, it's great to see them do this, stepping in and saving a fellow UK dev team.

VNZ

Teknopathetic said:
Somebody rescue the Warthog guys and make a new Richard Burns (RIP) Rally. Or at least a game in the same vein but with a different name.
That studio, formerly ATOD (based in Helsingborg, Sweden, developed games since the eighties for pretty much any platform (from ZX Spectrum to Sega Saturn) was bought by Gizmondo after some years as Warthog Sweden. When Gizmondo went down the studio (or what was left of it) was bought by Eidos forming Eidos Sweden. I believe they're doing some mobile gaming development now.

Bust Nak

Hmm, Sega opens new office, buy PC and devkits, form team from ex-codemasters members, gets one game out of said team, then hands the whole thing back to codemasters? Codemasters can probably negotiate quite aggressively with their wages and gets to play hero on the internet for bailing people out. Sounds like a great deal!

Bust Nak said:
Hmm, Sega opens new office, buy PC and devkits, form team from ex-codemasters members, gets one game out of said team, then hands the whole thing back to codemasters? Codemasters can probably negotiate quite aggressively with their wages and gets to play hero on the internet for bailing people out. Sounds like a great deal!

Well either way we look at it, no job losses. This is the most important thing here.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
i want a return to racing games where you are a log, and you're racing other triangles with like 14 onscreen polygons.

Was that new sega rally game any good?

Sulaco

This is fantastic news. Although the recent Sega Rally could have done with more tracks its still a fantastic racer in all other respects and certainly looked better than the Colin McRae game. A good move by codies!

Bust Nak said:
Codemasters can probably negotiate quite aggressively with their wages
If they did then the staff would simply move on. there's no shortage of racing studios in the UK. Then what would they be left with?

a.wd

Teknopathetic said:

Richard burns rally doesnt need ressurecting. at least not on consoles.

godisturbed said:
wish Ninty had bought them and given the Wii a proper racer. But its good news for the folks there.

Seriously, what it is with the lack of racers on Nintendo consoles? You'd think the lack of a first party GT/Forza would be an enticement to some of these third parties.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Hmm, a nice move by Codies, I wonder what games they could make, as stated, Micro Machines? or a joint effort for their next Rally game?

santouras

Teknopathetic said:
there is that F1 game coming with the same physics guy from RBR but otherwise I could not agree with you more. After experiencing the joy of RBR I was devestated to find out gizmondo bought them out. I imagine the main RBR guys are all over the place now unfortunately :(

diffusionx

Gold Member
I like this, hopefully Codies will give SRS the breathing room Sega clearly did not, and let them use their excellent engine on something original.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Teknopathetic said:

i'll keep dreaming this dream (and alteranating one in which dice makes rsc3)

Oneself

Maybe there will be a good "current gen" racer from Codemasters then. Because so far,

PS2/XB Colin McRae games>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DIRT

and from what I've seen

TOCA3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>GRID

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Great news. I hope they are a lot more successful at Codemasters than they were at Sega as they are obviously a talented bunch of people.

nli10

cjelly said:
Definitely deserves its own thread:

Wonder what they will be developing, as Codies already have teams for DiRT and GRiD.

Sure does!!

Solihull now home to Codies instead of SEGA eh? Fine with me!

Hopefully they will take on any racing projects that SEGA might have been planning for the Wii. :D

FightyF

Banned
YESS!!!!!

Awesome news!

Though it's dissappointing that they won't be working on new SEGA franchises, it's good to see such a talented team stick together, and pump out more racing titles.

Ceb said:
I wonder if Guy Wilday will leave Codemasters again. :lol

:lol

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
ram said:
HELL NO! at least colin mcrae games are playable...
Sega Rally is fine, so long as you use the bumper cam.

The biggest design decision I had with Sega Rally is that I honestly think they should have dumped the track deformation and provided 60fps.

That, and the fact that the loading times are horrendous.

VNZ said:
That studio, formerly ATOD (based in Helsingborg, Sweden, developed games since the eighties for pretty much any platform (from ZX Spectrum to Sega Saturn) was bought by Gizmondo after some years as Warthog Sweden. When Gizmondo went down the studio (or what was left of it) was bought by Eidos forming Eidos Sweden. I believe they're doing some mobile gaming development now.

I visited the old ATOD studio in Helsingborg. They had some fucking killer coders there, with one of the lead guys having worked at Probe in the UK for a longtime. Then they got snapped up by Warthog and then Gizmondo...glad to hear they are actually still around.

cjelly said:

The biggest design decision I had with Sega Rally is that I honestly think they should have dumped the track deformation and provided 60fps.

what what

Track deformation and the feel of the different surfaces is one of the best bits of Rally!

FightyF

Banned
cjelly said:

I don't know why you're banned, just saw your post history...I hope you didn't ask for one (if you have finals coming up or something), but I want to write up what I would have done to tweak SEGA Rally Revo...I think there were some crucial elements where the game fell short, and so despite it being a great game overall, some of these key points turned off many (for example, there wasn't a 3rd person camera that followed the car's direction, rather just the direction you were going).

-viper-

Banned
FightyF said:
I don't know why you're banned, just saw your post history...I hope you didn't ask for one (if you have finals coming up or something)
What a superb idea.

I'd like to be banned until 1st June please, since I've got exams coming up. I'm spending too much time on GAF :|

Top Bottom