• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coffee: The Thread

dr_octagon

Banned
Some voyageur gave me a sac. :)
Chris Pratt What GIF

Mr1999

Speaking of Coffee I just bought one of those new stainless steel Keurig machines with multistream gimmick technology, its not bad, it was on sale due to damage of the box on amazon. I drink donut coffee pods from it, I use two pods for 12oz, 6oz each brew. Coffee is amazing stuff but I usually crash hard later on, which is why I only drink coffee now on Mondays and Fridays.

GeekyDad

What are you guys drinking out of?

This is my main mug, old faithful (ceramic). My wife actually got me three of them some years back. Love 'em. Rubber tops with a sippy hole, and rubber band that keeps you from burning your fingers.

cU7809d.jpg

And of course, I've still got the one my kids gave me for Christmas years ago:

FjvRRYY_d.jpg

But I really only use that when they're home for the holidays, or for tea when I'm sick. The wooden coaster on top, though, I still use daily when I'm doing my chores in Animal Crossing.

John Bilbo

What are you guys drinking out of?

This is my main mug, old faithful (ceramic). My wife actually got me three of them some years back. Love 'em. Rubber tops with a sippy hole, and rubber band that keeps you from burning your fingers.

cU7809d.jpg

And of course, I've still got the one my kids gave me for Christmas years ago:

FjvRRYY_d.jpg

But I really only use that when they're home for the holidays, or for tea when I'm sick. The wooden coaster on top, though, I still use daily when I'm doing my chores in Animal Crossing.
TW5tRRg.jpg

These Batman glass mugs are my favourite ones.

Facism

I've got an insulated stainless-steel Costa ting for coffee on the go. Big mug if I'm at home brewing with a Moka. Expresso cup if i'm brewing with a Cevze.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Usually espresso or lungo from my Nespresso machine, I drink them from small Iitala coffee cups.

At work I might get an cappuccino.

I never really understood what a flat white is. Is it not just a macchiato with more milk but just not enough to be a latte?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Try these beauties. If your grocery store has them they'll be in the international aisle. My local Walmart has them too. Not very big cans. But they go for about $1.20 CDN each. So I'd guess $1 US. Buy a bunch and toss them in you fridge.

I havent tried all of them, but the brown, dark blue and red cans are good. That rainbow one is shit. Havent tried the rest.

81SvZGWAGxL.jpg

MrMephistoX

Now that I don’t drink alcohol and am on a shitload of anti-depressants I’m obsessed with coffee: I even have gone full on evening black drinking.

I have a nespresso with milk steamer for espresso and a Keurig for drip: destroying the earth one cup at a time but it’s delicious and perfect each time…I kinda want a Bialetti Moka pot though just because I think they look like a mad scientists idea of a proper cup of coffee in a proper coffee pot.
dAbogWl.jpg

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
On my second cup. So I'm typing this post on the toilet.

I love coffee but drink to much. Should cut down.

Regular filter coffeemaker btw. Lavazza or segafredo. Using the milder ones lately.

I also love it piping hot. I always put some water in my cup and put it in the microwave. Keeps the coffee longer hot.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Isn't that some sirop in those cups? Never had it.

When I run out of filters I just scoop some coffee in my cup and pour hot water in it; stir, wait, voila. The last sip is like Russian roulette so it ads some tension to the proces.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I quit energy drinks and switched to coffee.

It's been three days, and my mind is clearer. My sperm count is up, and I'm able to recognize simple shapes and patterns.
I nearly spit out my coffee reading this. Thank you.

Time to immediately trigger every "true" coffee lover into a fit of uncontrolled rage.

W67ZMy5.jpg

That's right... Nespresso pods.
Nrespresso is much, much better than Keurig. All the coffee snobs I know, myself included, actually enjoy Nespresso. f course it has it's drawbacks and is no real comparison to a proper espresso.

Does a Moka Pot work with an electric stove?
It should, yes.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Only Nepresso capsules, sorry for being a peasant GAF. Looked into getting a proper brewing machine for beans last year but I don’t have time to mess around getting that perfect brew, fuck that.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
x9AT5Om.jpg

I just had these which I received by mistake (I ordered Jamaican Blue Mountain pods) but they told me I could keep them as an apology and they sent me the correct pods.

I actually prefer then to the Blue Mountain I got, sometimes you get happy little accidents.

MrMephistoX

I nearly spit out my coffee reading this. Thank you.

Nrespresso is much, much better than Keurig. All the coffee snobs I know, myself included, actually enjoy Nespresso. f course it has it's drawbacks and is no real comparison to a proper espresso.

It should, yes.

Only Nepresso capsules, sorry for being a peasant GAF. Looked into getting a proper brewing machine for beans last year but I don’t have time to mess around getting that perfect brew, fuck that.
I rarely do it but nespresso and Keurig re-usable capsules also fill the coffee snob void of finding the perfect grind and bean. When I’m in the mood I actually do find it fun to grind some beans and try out the brew but I would hate to have to go through that every morning: I’m already OCD enough as it is so I’d probably be late dropping my kid off at school obsessing over little details. I just pop in the nespresso and I’m done.

HKIuHtz.jpg

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I rarely do it but nespresso and Keurig re-usable capsules also fill the coffee snob void of finding the perfect grind and bean. When I’m in the mood I actually do find it fun to grind some beans and try out the brew but I would hate to have to go through that every morning: I’m already OCD enough as it is so I’d probably be late dropping my kid off at school obsessing over little details. I just pop in the nespresso and I’m done.

HKIuHtz.jpg

:messenger_smiling_hearts:
I might actually buy a Nespresso machine now.

Lasha

I buy beans from a local roaster and grind them for my french press in the morning. My wife makes Turkish coffee when we want to drink coffee after lunch. I always take my coffee black. Milk dilutes the taste and sugar detracts from the bitterness.

My workplace had a Nepresso machine that uses those flat, disc-shaped capsules (different from the ones they sell at retail). While the coffee is good, there are too many negatives that I refuse to get one similar or any Kcup machine at home. One single capsules is meant for really small serving (like less than 250ml), so if you have a decent sized mug you have to use at least 2 or 3 capsules each time. And almost everyone in the office does, so we go through those capsules very quickly. There were times we would run out of capsules before delivery came in with new ones. That's a lot of waste generated (they say it's recyclable as you can send them back the used capsules, but I'm sure it's too make you feel better as they'll probably throw it away anyways). There's also an additional machine that makes foam milk, but it gets clogged so often they told everyone not to use it anymore. Furthermore, the machine needs constant maintenance and cleaning, or else the capsule will easily jam for some reason, especially if you let the used capsule tray get full. And that tray gets quite dirty for some reason.

Anyways now I mostly WFH but I'm too lazy too grind the beans and such, so I just stick to Nescafe I bought at Costco and just add milk.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
My workplace had a Nepresso machine that uses those flat, disc-shaped capsules (different from the ones they sell at retail). While the coffee is good, there are too many negatives that I refuse to get one similar or any Kcup machine at home. One single capsules is meant for really small serving (like less than 250ml), so if you have a decent sized mug you have to use at least 2 or 3 capsules each time. And almost everyone in the office does, so we go through those capsules very quickly. There were times we would run out of capsules before delivery came in with new ones. That's a lot of waste generated (they say it's recyclable as you can send them back the used capsules, but I'm sure it's too make you feel better as they'll probably throw it away anyways). There's also an additional machine that makes foam milk, but it gets clogged so often they told everyone not to use it anymore. Furthermore, the machine needs constant maintenance and cleaning, or else the capsule will easily jam for some reason, especially if you let the used capsule tray get full. And that tray gets quite dirty for some reason.

Anyways now I mostly WFH but I'm too lazy too grind the beans and such, so I just stick to Nescafe I bought at Costco and just add milk.
It could be worse.

At my company before covid, we had bad coffee from a big ancient commercial coffee machine that had tons of flavours, hot chocolate, tea etc...

When we got back to the office last year, we got a brand new coffee machine from a different supplier. The coffee is even worse than before. It's so bad that if we have 9 am meetings, instead of people arriving a bit early to grab free coffee from the kitchen, the person holding the meeting might do everyone a favour and get coffee from Starbucks or Tim Hortons.

Last edited:
It could be worse.

At my company before covid, we had bad coffee from a big ancient commercial coffee machine that had tons of flavours, hot chocolate, tea etc...

When we got back to the office last year, we got a brand new coffee machine from a different supplier. The coffee is even worse than before. It's so bad that if we have 9 am meetings, instead of people arriving a bit early to grab free coffee from the kitchen, the person holding the meeting might do everyone a favour and get coffee from Starbucks or Tim Hortons.
damn, must be hot piss if it's worse than Timmy Ho coffee

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
No that is a Moka pot. You fill the bottom part with water, then there is a metal cup/filter that goes above the water, you fill that with coffee ground for espresso or a bit less fine, ground for a moka pot, then you just cook it on the stove the water boils through the grounds and collects in the top portion. You adjust the strength/size of your coffee by adjusting the water to coffee ratio. I have two different size pots for different occasions depending on how many people how big etc.

Been thinking of getting one. I just got stuff for pour over though, so I'll be working with that for a while.

Tams

Gold Member

I've become such a coffee snob since starting to grind my own beans that I can barely drink instant Nescafé now. It tastes bad.

I can just about do Kenco instant coffee.

Part of me hates myself for this. But part of me loves properly prepared coffee.

Facism

Holy cow. So, it's not even being filtered in any way. Looks rich. Would love to try that sometime.

yup, and if you've got a relatively superstitious Aunty, she'll turn your cup over onto the saucer and read your future in the grounds.

All my Balkan/Caucus bros will know about that lmao

Top Bottom