• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin’s Last Stand: Side Quest Superthread

decisions

Side Quest YT channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt9BGe6i2lJepl-B_zwX6VA

I think we should discuss the work of this notable figure in the games industry here.

Side Quest goes up once a week, and is comprised of Colin Moriarty’s opinion pieces in video essay form. Recently, he has started including reviews and published his first scripted review since 2014 at IGN, for Ni No Kuni 2, Revenant Kingdom on Monday March 26th 2018.

(Here’s to some interesting discussion! I feel like one single thread for Side Quest would be better for now as GAF rebuilds. Let me know if there’s anything you want added to the OP.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Good review for Ni No Kuni 2 and awaiting his review for God of War which I would say is probably a guarantee.

Dubloon7

Banned
colin shat on neogaf and it's users, and now you welcome him back with open arms? is it b/c his polical viewpoint sits kindly to yours (NEO Neogaf) now and his political show sits with a whopping 0 viewership?

Colin is a huge dick, I remember him coming out and calling us all entitled twats when we said the ending to Mass Effect 3 was bad. Dude can suck it, he'll get no clicks from me.

lifa-cobex

colin shat on neogaf and it's users, and now you welcome him back with open arms? is it b/c his polical viewpoint sits kindly to yours (NEO Neogaf) now and his political show sits with a whopping 0 viewership?

"Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own."

Grinchy

Banned
The lunatics who used to run this asylum created a giant witch hunt against him just because he made a simple 1950s-style joke on twitter. Why wouldn't he shit on those insane users?

Moneal

The lunatics who used to run this asylum created a giant witch hunt against him just because he made a simple 1950s-style joke on twitter. Why wouldn't he shit on those insane users?

WHile I agree with you about the joke. He shit on the gaf community way before that over the ps4pro being like the xbox 1s comments right after its reveal. I was in that thread and was quite hard on him for is take. He was also real on board with project scorpio even though it was essentially like the pro but a year later.

Bryank75

Banned
WHile I agree with you about the joke. He shit on the gaf community way before that over the ps4pro being like the xbox 1s comments right after its reveal. I was in that thread and was quite hard on him for is take. He was also real on board with project scorpio even though it was essentially like the pro but a year later.

I did feel Colin was way off on his assessment of the Pro and I wasn't a fan of the Mass Effect 3 ending, however I have enjoyed a lot of his work over the last ten years and I really don't take it personally if he has a conflicting opinion. I can see how some on Gaf soured to him due to one or two interactions but I think neither gaf nor Colin were at a good place at that time. I really enjoy his new content and hope he continues to build on it.

decisions

The old NeoGAF and its users who attacked and character assassinated Colin in the way that they did were acting like terrible people, implied I was a Nazi sympathizer for defending him, and are a part of the reason why the best podcast duo of all time are seemingly irreparably resentful to each other. So yeah I do welcome him back.

If you want to discuss Colin’s politics or politics in general please PM me, I don’t want to derail this thread so early into its existence. Thanks.

Colin is a huge dick, I remember him coming out and calling us all entitled twats when we said the ending to Mass Effect 3 was bad. Dude can suck it, he'll get no clicks from me.

Go to 35 minutes. As he says, he “really fucked up.”

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah that stuff was definitely pretty stupid.

Glad that OP made a thread about Colin and the solid work he's doing over at CLS. I'm one of his Patreon supporters and have been a fan of his work for a long long time. About 10 years now.

Colin was recently a guest on Siftd and I enjoy those sitdowns. His obsession with games is interesting as he admits to being a bit OCD. Needless to say I thought I'd give his channel a look but I quickly turned it off. Forgot about how political he'd become but I'm hoping that he gets back into talking more about games and his review for Ni No Kuni II was quite good.

decisions

New video up today on Far Cry 5 and the politically-motivated reaction to it among some games journalists. .

Really enjoyed this one, it's an argument that must be made against some of the ridiculous think-pieces on this game,, and it is done so quite well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Another excellent video by Colin regarding Far Cry 5 as he once again hits the nail on the head and does actual research which majority of reviewers did not. Can't wait for his God of War review.

Remember that time journalists thought FC4's villain was gay and the game was being homophobic all because the character was wearing a pink suit?

Side Quest goes up once a week, and is comprised of Colin Moriarty’s opinion pieces in video essay form.

I'd be more surprised to see something in non-video essay form. It always takes like twice as long to watch these videos than it would be if it was written out and I could just read it myself. I'm never interested in watching videos when I can get the same info from a written source in a quarter of the time.

Isa

Gold Member
Another great episode. It's interesting seeing how the game was intended compared to what some people wished to see portrayed. Also I remember Waco, and seeing the split in my folks church as it went down. Half were pacifists and non-agro while the others were led by a rather "alpha" personality dude who led them out into dangerous streets trying to proselytize to drug addicts and gang-bangers. They had their own ranch compound too with their own weird baptisms. But I digress, glad to see Colin making great content.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Good episode. Makes a lot of those "reviewers" seem like petulant children.

D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
Love his work.

One of the very, very, very few game journalists I enjoy.

Bryank75

Banned
I like the way he actually calls out people by name, the industry needs this. There were few consequences before but with notable people like Colin and strong support maybe games journalism will take a step or two in a good direction.

Typhares

I've been enjoying the Side Quest series. I like that it's not a perfectly defined serie and can tackle different aspects of gaming (reviews, commentary, speculations etc...).

CLS is pretty great for the most part. Altho both KF and CLS dont come close to a podcast with both Colin and Greg...not even close.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I’ve disliked Colin for quite a while due to his arrogance and past Sony fanboyism, but I’ve actually started to pay attention again after his Kingdom Come and Far Cry 5 videos.

If he continues to produce these objective critiques of the industry, I may keep paying attention.

I think it has benefitted him that he is no longer shackled by being directly involved in the industry. As is evident with him being free to tell the Castlevania/Konami story a few weeks back.

I may still think he is arrogant, but I will never let that blind me from good content. Thank you Colin.

Bolivar687

Banned
Latest Far Cry 5 episode was very well researched and presented, as always. It's surprising to me how strange mainstream journalists have become as their relevance has continued to fade.

decisions

This week’s CLS (not sure what happened to last week’s lol) is his GOW review. Probably the best of the game I’ve seen, has some complaints that I found interesting bit mostly praises the game. Reads like a 9/10 to me.

Last edited:

hymanator

I hope that Colin never resorts to embarrassing ad-reads for underwear, mattresses, and razors like the Kinda Funny crew have.

I hope that Colin never resorts to embarrassing ad-reads for underwear, mattresses, and razors like the Kinda Funny crew have.

I know right, shame on them for trying to make some money.

I like that Colin is back in gaming. Not a fan of the CLS logo's though.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I know right, shame on them for trying to make some money.
How many Patreons are they running nowadays? What were they up to before they hid the dollar numbers? Around $40,000 a month or thereabouts? Might as well use paid advertisements as well. Just trying to scratch a living.

How many Patreons are they running nowadays? What were they up to before they hid the dollar numbers? Around $40,000 a month or thereabouts? Might as well use paid advertisements as well. Just trying to scratch a living.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but running a business with employees actually costs money.

Afro_Knight

Neo Member

Most of the people he was going after are probably on ERA now
Colin was recently a guest on Siftd and I enjoy those sitdowns. His obsession with games is interesting as he admits to being a bit OCD. Needless to say I thought I'd give his channel a look but I quickly turned it off. Forgot about how political he'd become but I'm hoping that he gets back into talking more about games and his review for Ni No Kuni II was quite good.

In his defense, he's always been passionate about politics. His channel is devoted to that passion.

Kadayi

Banned

New video up today on Far Cry 5 and the politically-motivated reaction to it among some games journalists. .

Really enjoyed this one, it's an argument that must be made against some of the ridiculous think-pieces on this game,, and it is done so quite well.

Good stuff. Totally on point about how many of these reviewers are basically marking the game against an ill-conceived idea as to what they think it should be versus what it is. I remember a similar thing happening with APB, which albeit wasn't a great game, a large part much of the kickback against it was because it wasn't the GTA MMO much of the gaming press had convinced themselves it was going to be, versus what it was which was essentially cops and robbers counterstrike in a persistent universe.

It's actually pretty shocking that seemingly none of these people, despite presumably having spent a lot of time with developers, couldn't wrap their heads around the actual realities of AAA game development timelines and understand that FC5 wasn't conceived as a response to Trump, but was drawn out of events like Waco, and was probably mapped out as an idea years ago.

Most of the people he was going after are probably on ERA now

In his defense, he's always been passionate about politics. His channel is devoted to that passion.

Fair enough but I will just watch his game reviews, not interested in his political stance unless it's part of his game review (Far Cry 5).

SpiceRacz

Good stuff. Totally on point about how many of these reviewers are basically marking the game against an ill-conceived idea as to what they think it should be versus what it is. I remember a similar thing happening with APB, which albeit wasn't a great game, a large part much of the kickback against it was because it wasn't the GTA MMO much of the gaming press had convinced themselves it was going to be, versus what it was which was essentially cops and robbers counterstrike in a persistent universe.

It's actually pretty shocking that seemingly none of these people, despite presumably having spent a lot of time with developers, couldn't wrap their heads around the actual realities of AAA game development timelines and understand that FC5 wasn't conceived as a response to Trump, but was drawn out of events like Waco, and was probably mapped out as an idea years ago.

I'm glad he called out Waypoint in particular. I feel like they get away with saying some really silly shit sometimes.

Dynasty8

Discussing or even mentioning Colin’s name on ReeeEra is not permitted and is a bannable offense 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I saw some of the messages on the God of War review thread. It's disgusting how you can even get banned if you mention his name. Sad world we live in.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
I'm glad he called out Waypoint in particular. I feel like they get away with saying some really silly shit sometimes.

Well, they're not really getting away with it, they just haven't hit a point where enough people stop giving them money and attention.

decisions

In what could be my favorite episode of Side Quest thus far, Colin absolutely decimates mainstream gaming media with great points and those wonderful named callouts. Had to bump the thread for this as I'm sure a number of people on this website would be interested in in this discussion.

cormack12

Gold Member
Enjoyed that, dunno why he was so hated? Just because of the joke tweet about his wife/gf?
Anyway I think this is all going to come to a head sooner rather than later. Too much fighting, not enough sides.

Isa

Gold Member
Definitely relevant to current affairs. I do feel that most sites/organizations still put too much emphasis on politics regardless of affiliation or declared stance. But he is also right that removing it completely is also wrong. Its a shame that there aren't more diverse opinions in the space, I've noticed a few cropping up after others have mentioned them in the other thread(s) so that's nice but I'd like to see a larger entity that shares my general sentiments.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I saw some of the messages on the God of War review thread. It's disgusting how you can even get banned if you mention his name. Sad world we live in.
You mean sad website not sad world.
The normal world is nothing like that toilet.

Bankai

The old NeoGAF and its users who attacked and character assassinated Colin in the way that they did were acting like terrible people, implied I was a Nazi sympathizer for defending him, and are a part of the reason why the best podcast duo of all time are seemingly irreparably resentful to each other. So yeah I do welcome him back.

If you want to discuss Colin’s politics or politics in general please PM me, I don’t want to derail this thread so early into its existence. Thanks.

Go to 35 minutes. As he says, he “really fucked up.”

Good stuff, thanks for the YT link as well.

I think Colin kept Kinda Funny "real", I loved his sarcastic view on things; the harshness. Kinda Funny is total shite nowadays IMO, can't stand the over-the-top-always-funny-and-excited vibe. Makes me wanna barf.

bosnianpie

Enjoyed that, dunno why he was so hated? Just because of the joke tweet about his wife/gf

Nah, he has sensible political opinions that some people in gaming can't handle. Instead of discussing the matter they felt it would be way more effective to just bully him into silence. That's the tolerant and progressive way to do things nowdays. His tweet was just an excuse for the Twitter mob to attack him.

Glad he's back on track. Keep up the good work Colin. Enjoyed todays video.

Last edited:

decisions

I still cannot believe that the Kinda Funny guys abandoned him and apologized for the Tweet before he quit. I mean how could you not expect him to quit after that. I didn't watch KF for a while after that out of sheer principle, and I've checked back in recent months and as I expected without Colin the content lost nearly all of its honesty and was fake, glossy trash.

Top Bottom