• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin McRae Rally (re-mastered for HD) - available on Steam

gngf123

I used to really like the PS1 Colin McRae games, I probably still have them stored away. I think I remember owning the PC release of 2.0 as well.

I think I would rather hunt them down than play this by the looks of things.

Megasoum

Banned
This got me hyped. Dirt 2 was my fave arcade racer of last gen. I can't wait to see what you guys can put together for the next gen entry. Do you think we'll get an announcement this year or would that be too early?

Keep in mind that they've said something similar before every Dirt game released and yet there's always less and less rally with every new game in the franchise...

justbiglee

Neo Member
Hi all just wanted to post an update on our response to the feedback we've received so far for Colin McRae Rally. You can read the original post over on the games community hub discussions tab.

At Codemasters, we care about our customers and pride ourselves on listening to our community.

We understand that some people who bought Colin McRae Rally on Steam are upset and feel that it isn’t the game they thought it would be. We have now updated the product description for clarification.

Furthermore, as an act of good faith, we have worked with Valve to enable anyone that bought the game to claim a refund. The ability to refund will be available until the 19th August.

To process a refund, please go to your account transactions page and you will see a “Refund” button for Colin McRae Rally. We hope this goes some way to restoring any lost faith and thank you as always, for your continued support.

Hi all just wanted to post an update on our response to the feedback we've received so far for Colin McRae Rally. You can read the original post over on the games community hub discussions tab.

At Codemasters, we care about our customers and pride ourselves on listening to our community.

We understand that some people who bought Colin McRae Rally on Steam are upset and feel that it isn’t the game they thought it would be. We have now updated the product description for clarification.

Furthermore, as an act of good faith, we have worked with Valve to enable anyone that bought the game to claim a refund. The ability to refund will be available until the 19th August.

To process a refund, please go to your account transactions page and you will see a “Refund” button for Colin McRae Rally. We hope this goes some way to restoring any lost faith and thank you as always, for your continued support.

I really appreciate what you guys are doing, trying to undo the wrong and all that, but updating the description (in English, it's still the same in German) does not fix the problem this game has. The problem isn't even the description itself, it's the title of the game. And I don't mean the fact that you're still trying to cash in on a dead person's name. When you name a game "Colin McRae Rally", people are going to have certain expectations and it's needless to say that this is not "Colin McRae Rally" in any way. Stop comparing it to the old games. "COLIN MCRAE RALLY – THE CLASSIC RALLY EXPERIENCE RACES ONTO PC AND MAC", except this has nothing to do with the classic rally experience most people associate the name and series with. "Codemasters Arcade Rally" would be a way more fitting name.

Megasoum

Banned
I really appreciate what you guys are doing, trying to undo the wrong and all that, but updating the description (in English, it's still the same in German) does not fix the problem this game has. The problem isn't even the description itself, it's the title of the game. And I don't mean the fact that you're still trying to cash in on a dead person's name. When you name a game "Colin McRae Rally", people are going to have certain expectations and it's needless to say that this is not "Colin McRae Rally" in any way. Stop comparing it to the old games. "COLIN MCRAE RALLY – THE CLASSIC RALLY EXPERIENCE RACES ONTO PC AND MAC", except this has nothing to do with the classic rally experience most people associate the name and series with. "Codemasters Arcade Rally" would be a way more fitting name.

Bingo

justbiglee

Neo Member

Totally get what you are saying and understand the frustrations, with regards to the localisation on the store pages we're just waiting on getting them back from the company we use as soon as we do they'll be amended too. We just thought it would be best to update the description as soon as we could.

MJLord

We're never getting proper rally again are we? Remember when you had to complete the WRC? That was fun, keeping damage and all that fun stuff.

Also this beauty
191532-colin-mcrae-rally-windows-screenshot-first-test-in-rally-schools.jpg

I think I learnt how to drive there.

MJLord

I wouldn't say that, the DiRT Team are working on something pretty special ;)

I'm sorry I'm the same as Megasoum on this. You've said it to us before.

Come out with Dirt4 and it's like it and I'll sing praises. But If it's a half focus like 3 then I'm gone I think.

AU Tiger

I wouldn't say that, the DiRT Team are working on something pretty special ;)

That's good to hear but my best advice for you guys is that if the physics do not feel like that of Richard Burns Rally, don't release the game.

RBR is the gold standard IMO.

Start there and dumb the physics down with driving aids for the guys who want something less hard core but PLEASE give all of the pc sim racing guys a great rally game with authentic physics.

I'd like to pop in here and say that even though I don't really buy racing games, I appreciate you guys dropping by to address community concerns and even offer refunds.

Good show, Codemasters.

AU Tiger

If it's a proper rally game, why isn't it called CMR?

One possible reason is royalties associated with CMR's name but I'm not sure how that factors in with the licensed use of the name or any of that. I just imagine that it's cheaper to not have the name being used all together.

Megasoum

Banned
One possible reason is royalties associated with CMR's name but I'm not sure how that factors in with the licensed use of the name or any of that. I just imagine that it's cheaper to not have the name being used all together.

Also, at this point, the name "DiRT" had probably a lot more recognition with the general public than Coling McRae.

Wonko_C

For the pure rally game they could call it DiRT Autosport and make the Autosport brand a more serious side of their franchises.

CamHostage

Also, at this point, the name "DiRT" had probably a lot more recognition with the general public than Coling McRae.

Yeah, I'm confused, why didn't they just use the DiRT name? I wouldn't mind a throwback-sized racer from Codemasters (it's crazy to think the mighty Colin McRae games are now maybe too quaint for what game buyers are looking for at retail) and I actually like the simple, arcade-style, colorful graphic style here. (I also really appreciate that the developer is commenting on this thread!) But why bring back the Colin McRae brand name unless it's either A) a real attempt to rise to the level of hardcore rally racing excellence that the McRae name stood for, or B) a real remastering of the original hit games using the same physics and gameplay systems. It may use the courses of CM2.0, but otherwise, this doesn't meet either of those criteria.

If this was renamed DiRT Rally or DiRT Arcade or something like that, I wouldn't have any problem with it.

Top Bottom