• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Moriarty: Bloodborne Remaster and Bloodborne 2 in Development for PS5 by Bluepoint

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I sure hope they have hired someone at fromsoft to oversee the project if that’s the case. Has Bluepoint ever made an original game?

Hunnybun

I've always thought that Sony should just continue making Souls and Bloodborne games without Miyazaki, if he's otherwise engaged.

He basically created a whole new genre, or, at least, managed to properly translate Castlevania to 3d.

Are we seriously saying that that innovation shouldn't be iterated on, just because the guy wants to continue making new things?

The truth is that it just isn't as hard to carry on making new games from an established template as it is to establish the template in the first place.

That's not to say Sony shouldn't tread carefully. They should try to get his creative input to some degree. They should try to hire some of the original artists and level designers etc.

But overall I think it's a perfectly reasonable thing to attempt.

Yeah, considering how utterly worthless Dark Souls 2 turned out without Miyazaki, I think it's obvious that he's a prerequisite for a good Souls game. Bluepoint make fantastic remakes, but Bloodborne 2 would likely turn out to be a bad carbon copy of the real deal.

Last edited:

Keihart

Sony owns the IP they can't just use Froms engine and I highly doubt they license the engine without being involed. I could see them doing a remaster or directors cut and charge idiot's 60 to 70 bucks when Sony consumers should demand more. A 60 fps patch shouldn't be hard. You don't have to remaster what is already a beautiful stunning and atmospheric game.
The engine used by Fromsoft , funnily enough was always originally a Sony Engine, PhyreEngine, it was free to use i think.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I've always thought that Sony should just continue making Souls and Bloodborne games without Miyazaki, if he's otherwise engaged.

He basically created a whole new genre, or, at least, managed to properly translate Castlevania to 3d.

Are we seriously saying that that innovation shouldn't be iterated on, just because the guy wants to continue making new things?

The truth is that it just isn't as hard to carry on making new games from an established template as it is to establish the template in the first place.

That's not to say Sony shouldn't tread carefully. They should try to get his creative input to some degree. They should try to hire some of the original artists and level designers etc.

But overall I think it's a perfectly reasonable thing to attempt.
We are still talking about From Software here.
How many developers have created a souls-like and how many of them have been as good as a Dark Souls or a Bloodborne?

Hunnybun

We are still talking about From Software here.
How many developers have created a souls-like and how many of them have been as good as a Dark Souls or a Bloodborne?

I don't know tbh. I thought it was very few but I wouldn't like to say for sure. Does Nioh count? I've never played that but people seem to love it.

I just tend not to believe in this kind of magic. I don't believe only From can make a good Souls game. I don't believe only Miyamoto can make a brilliant Mario game - as the more recent ones have proved.

The genius of Souls is largely the idea itself. Yes, care is needed to craft the art and world etc, and it could definitely be done badly (hello 343 studios!), but I just don't buy that it's somehow beyond the wit of man.

At this point the formula is fairly well established.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I don't know tbh. I thought it was very few but I wouldn't like to say for sure. Does Nioh count? I've never played that but people seem to love it.

I just tend not to believe in this kind of magic. I don't believe only From can make a good Souls game. I don't believe only Miyamoto can make a brilliant Mario game - as the more recent ones have proved.

The genius of Souls is largely the idea itself. Yes, care is needed to craft the art and world etc, and it could definitely be done badly (hello 343 studios!), but I just don't buy that it's somehow beyond the wit of man.

At this point the formula is fairly well established.
They sure gained a lot of insight from the remaking of DS which could help but the track record of developing gameplay is quite short on their side since they have been ocupied with remasters and remakes mostly. If true it will look gorgeous and i would give them the benefit of the doubt but it looks like a task to big for them.

You are not wrong with your opinion. Anything is possible. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Bloodborne 2 without Miyazaki and From?

aldo.gif

Last edited:

skit_data

A question to the ”Bloodborne/Dark Souls can’t be done without Miyazaki”-crowd:

If Bloodborne 2 was released to large acclaim, would you play it? Or do you think it simply lacking ”the touch” would be enough to keep you away from it?

I’m one of the people that really liked DS2, I think its better than DS3 in several ways. I mean I love the games Miyazaki made as well, but I wouldn’t say its impossible to make a great Souls-game without him.

Hunnybun

They sure gained a lot of insight from the remaking of DS which could help but the track record of developing gameplay is quite short on their side since they have been ocupied with remasters and remakes mostly. If true it will look gorgeous and i would give them the benefit of the doubt but it looks like a task to big for them.

You are not wrong with your opinion. Anything is possible. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Btw I'm not actually saying that Bluepoint would be capable of this, just that in general it's a feasible idea.

Actually I think this specifically is a tall order and a huge amount of pressure to put on them for their first original game, BUT they are obviously talented, and if they got enough support then it could well turn out fine.

I mean, Housemarque just made an almost as impressive leap into AAA with Returnal, so...

tassletine

Talk about being thrown in at the deep end. How are they even going to manage that, regards lore and world texture etc?
I was worried about RR Martin, but to hand over the storytelling duties to someone else, given that Miyazaki is such a unique storyteller, isn't going to be the same at all.
Miazaki is interested in genuinely new mechanics, all BP has done is copy. If this is true it's a mistake.

FrankWza

Wouldn't want Bloodborne 2 from these guys.

Kind of sacrilege to take the Bloodborne sequel from FromSoftware.
I’m gonna guess that only the remake or remaster of BB and old hunters is being done by Bluepoint and they’re doing a Castlevania game as their original. I think BB2 will be the From game that was the rumored PS5 games exclusive. For From, doing a sequel is easier than a new IP.

Perrott

Gold Member
Why is everyone going crazy here? Of course FROM/Miyazaki would supervise the project from afar, I mean, Sony are not stupid enough to go and make Bloodborne 2 without having Miyazaki's name somewhere in the credits in order to calm everyone down and avoid a potential PR nightmare.

tassletine

If Bloodborne 2 was released to large acclaim, would you play it? Or do you think it simply lacking ”the touch” would be enough to keep you away from it?

I’m one of the people that really liked DS2, I think its better than DS3 in several ways. I mean I love the games Miyazaki made as well, but I wouldn’t say its impossible to make a great Souls-game without him.
I would definitely play it, just to see if it's any good!
But you're talking about many people's favourite game (definitely in my top5) and it would almost certainly be lacking the 'touch' as you say.

I agree about DS2 though, I prefer it over 3 myself, so that's a decent point.

However, I'm of the mind that ALL the souls games are unfinished and have a rushed, cobbled together quality (That's one of the reasons I've never really understood the criticisms for DS2).

And despite some framerate issues, thats not really the case with Bloodborne. Bloodborne is extremely tight and polished gameplay wise.

KAL2006

Banned
No way I think they will do a smaller game first before they do a full on sequel.

So like a Bloodborne Miles Morales/Lost Legacy. My guess was Demons Souls The Sixth Archstone standalone Expansion.

RoboFu

One of the green rats

Of course if it’s a good game. It’s just unlike DS2 there may not be anyone one there to steer the project, to add that From magic.

Chukhopops

It’s a very bold move, IMO Bluepoint should have started with Demons’ Souls and fixing the missing content in it to test the waters.

I’m not a big Bloodborne fan (I consider it the weakest of the series) but it’s setting up high expectations, which could possibly be impossible to meet.

Freeman76

Ah man I hope this isnt true. Fair enough remake the first one but BB is basically Miyazakis mind in a code, BP might be masters of their craft but thats remastering. They aren't Miyazaki

skit_data

Of course if it’s a good game. It’s just unlike DS2 there may not be anyone one there to steer the project, to add that From magic.
Idk, From Software certainly adds the best flavour but I think some other developers have come pretty close. Cold Symmetry with Mortal Shell for example, and those are only like 15 people.

I could see Bluepoint make a really nice sequel to Bloodborne, its not impossible. But it is a really hard task indeed, and they would really need a good director that really understand the strengths of Bloodborne. An ideal situation would be a collaboration with From Software, with Miyasaki overseeing the project or providing basic setting, lore etc.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
This doesn’t make sense. I think Bluepoint are very talented, and I believe they could do a great Bloodborne remaster, but Bloodborne 2 doesn’t make sense. Sony are smart enough to know how singular and unique FromSoftware is in their art direction and game design - it will end up feeling like a cheap knockoff.

There might be more to this story, such as FromSoftware collaborating with them, or it’s just a false rumor period. I simply don’t see it happening - it’s too much risk when they could be spending those years on something that would guarantee a big return for less investment.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Bloodborne 2 without Miyazaki?

Sony owns the rights to the franchise so they're free to do what they want but they absolutely need From and Miyazaki. You can't just hire a random, talented remake studio to make a new Bloodborne.

Also, Bloodborne is one of my alltime favorite games, I really don't think they should mess with the artstyle and atmosphere it's perfect. I'd prefer if they just cleaned it up and added 60 fps.
Nintendo do it all the time

skit_data

Coming to think of it… Does Bluepoint Games working on a sequel really exclude the possibility of From Softwares involvement?

I mean, it hasn’t really worked that way before since Japan Studio acted as more of a support to From Software. Could the game be made under the supervision of From Software, with them providing the essentials to Bluepoint and from there Bluepoint handles the more technical aspects of actually building the game?

Shubh_C63

I feel like people are really underestimating bluepoint here.
even with just remakes, you need to have a clear pipeline, goal and creatve leadership to achieve that. BB2 will be just fine and won't match our expectations.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Sure! So long as myazaki is at least a consultant on the project. But bloodborne doesnt need to be remade! Just give me 4k 60 fps

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Nintendo do it all the time
Lol not without extreme hand holding from their top talent for at least one game.

this wouldn’t be the same situation. Sony doesn’t own the talent that made the first game.

Vaelka

Bloodborne 2 without Miyazaki?

Sony owns the rights to the franchise so they're free to do what they want but they absolutely need From and Miyazaki. You can't just hire a random, talented remake studio to make a new Bloodborne.

Also, Bloodborne is one of my alltime favorite games, I really don't think they should mess with the artstyle and atmosphere it's perfect. I'd prefer if they just cleaned it up and added 60 fps.

Honestly the Demon Soul's remake overall was great, but they did make some really strange changes ( especially with the music and some character models ) that sorta made me feel like they just didn't get it.
It's one thing to just upscale already existing models and adding effects etc, it's another thing to actually create things from the ground up.

Generally speaking I am extremely skeptical when it comes to other people taking over licenses that they didn't have a hand in creating to begin with.
It's just not the same it's not the same brains behind it and usually it tends to get carried mostly on nostalgia and brand name alone.

Lanrutcon

Gonna make a bold prediction here:

...there is no way any Bloodborne sequel they can make will be good enough for the fans.

It's been too long. The expectations are sky high. The title will, at best, be highly divisive. The old school fans of the original vs the Dark Souls 3 generation: can't make em both happy. And at worst? The sky's the limit when fucking up a cult classic.

Yoboman

Honestly the Demon Soul's remake overall was great, but they did make some really strange changes ( especially with the music and some character models ) that sorta made me feel like they just didn't get it.
It's one thing to just upscale already existing models and adding effects etc, it's another thing to actually create things from the ground up.

Generally speaking I am extremely skeptical when it comes to other people taking over licenses that they didn't have a hand in creating to begin with.
It's just not the same it's not the same brains behind it and usually it tends to get carried mostly on nostalgia and brand name alone.
For every 1 in 10 things they got "wrong" they got 9 other things completely right

I'd expect that they will make sequel pretty safe gameplay wise and it will feel more like BB 1.5.

Anyway after they rebuild two souls games for ps5 it's likely second best studio in the world to entrust them making souls like games.

Kerotan

I'm in.
Imo it's the risky road but a real test to see if this studio artists and game designers are good outside doing copycat work.
And frankly i'm already not that confident in the artists / from software ones and it's why i find this is the risky road
I mean they're still copying for the sequel. It's like when treyarc copied the COD style created by infinity ward in cod4 and we got WAW and BO1.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Those of you who have been saying you'd love for Bluepoint to get their shot at their own game have gotten what you wanted.

Top Bottom