• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Was Right: Xbox's E3 Gambit (Feb 23)

Please tell me how a console that's likely $400 at the cheapest is going to outsell $200 PS4 Slim/Xbox One S consoles? Especially seeing as they'll all play Red Dead Redemption 2, Destiny 2, and Star Wars Battlefront 2.

It's not going to happen.

dunno, shitload of marketing? I don't think it's going to beat PS4 worldwide too, but isn't it still feasible for US and UK?

Unknown?

They're going to need more than a handful of games at the end of the year. Sony and to a lesser extent Nintendo will be pumping out games all year. I wouldn't be surprised if January had more PS4 exclusives than Xbox has this whole year.

Software drives sells, new shiny hardware will only be a blip if it doesn't have a constant steady stream of games because new products only last on newness for so long..

Kill3r7

Why do people think a $400 Xbox that plays the same games is going to cause some sort of explosion?

It is just something else to look forward to and get excited about. The status quo is boring. I am sure MS is expecting it to do well or at least change the perception of the brand.

bidguy

Banned
Why do people think a $400 Xbox that plays the same games is going to cause some sort of explosion?

And people need to stop acting like Scorpio is a next gen console. It's not. Games will only look marginally better than the Pro and it's. it getting exclusive games

you seem to know a lot about scorpio why dont you make a thread with your hot scoops

Based off where tech is. For $400 you're not getting anything too much better than the Pro. I think people are overselling Scorpio

Of course, but you can't convince fans of that. Xbox initial problem wasn't power or lack thereof. So more power means nothing.

Archtreyz

This will also be the first time this generation that Microsoft will have the most powerful console on the market. How that will fare for them, who knows? I honestly don't think it matters, but we will see.

amdb00mer

I personally was a day one buyer of PS4 and X1. I was also a day one upgrader from PS4 to PS4 Pro and X1 to X1S. I will also be there day one for the Scorpio. I have no problem with consoles taking an iterative approach with hardware upgrades. Why? Cause they are more PC like and all your current games will be supported. I know some people may be upset and think it's unfair that they bought console version X on day 1 and now there is a version Y that is providing higher resolutions and more stable frame rates over their day one version. Why? If the new versions did have exclusives that alienated the early adopters, I guess I could understand that. Still you don't hear somebody who bought a GTX 960 hating on somebody who bought a GTX 1080, simply because it allows them to play games with better performance, do you? No. It's because they can still play the same games, but just with different settings for different quality/performance levels. If MS or Sony come out at E3 and announce games that do end up being exclusive to PS4 Pro or Scorpio, then early adopters do have an argument. To which Sony and MS should have just named PS4 Pro as PS5 and MS name Scorpio as Xbox 2.

N.Domixis

Banned
I agree with the last two minutes or so as well. It is just more interesting when Sony, MS and Nintendo are doing well. For gaming purposes, that is. Not the "Sony needs competition" stuff.
I think it's more interesting right now, MS constantly bundling and dropping prices non stop is good for fans. Cheap Xbox ones for all. They just need more first party. If they were way more successful you would be seeing a 360 repeat. Meaning not listening to fans.

I've never been more excited for a Microsoft E3 Press Conference. This is gonna be a make or break moment for them I think.

I agree, and while a hardware refresh will obviously benefit the brand it's really a raft of new software they need to accompany Scorpio. It's really make or break year for MS as I expect to see a bunch of new games that Spencer commissioned when he took hold of the Xbox reigns in early 2014. The timing is right and he needs to prove he's more than just words.

Theorry

Several PS I Love You's.

How he compared them in this was more measured and fair then the previous podcasts so I'm not sure why the "quit bashing the pro" people are still angry.

Ah oke. I have no idea also. Because indeed in this vid he also says he is still no fan of mid gen refresh consoles. Wich is Scorpio also. Guess people dont even watch it before making a comment. :)

Poor optics? Yeah, I remember that narrative well. "They just need better messaging!"

It's not like their announced policies were actually bad or anything.

I think it's more interesting right now, MS constantly bundling and dropping prices non stop is good for fans. Cheap Xbox ones for all. They just need more first party. If they were way more successful you would be seeing a 360 repeat. Meaning not listening to fans.
Oh sure, I'm not saying there should be parity in sales or everyone selling huge numbers. Just for everyone to be in a relatively stable position.

Archtreyz

"I think putting your exclusives on PC is asanine"

*touts Nier Automata as an advantage PS4 has over XB1*
But Sony isn't putting their first party games on PC. He brought up Nier:Automata as a second party console exclusive. I mean, now that all of Xbox's first party games are coming to PC, you really can only compare console exclusives.

dunno, shitload of marketing? I don't think it's going to beat PS4 worldwide too, but isn't it still feasible for US and UK?
I feel like if it was going to happen, it would have happened by now. I think that is because it isn't just about X1 blowing up in sales. PS4 has to slow down as well and that isn't happening.

mauaus

I generally like Kindafunny but they seem waaaaay off on the PS4 pro subject.
Dont see how Microsoft will benefit from a more powerful Xbox One when the exclusives are just not there.

To pick up on another of Colin's points, if Scorpio is a new generation, then who's making games for it? He says there might be a year or two of games being on both Xbox One and Scorpio, but he alludes that, at some point, he believes Scorpio will have exclusive games.

So who's going to make them? Third-parties are going to keep catering to the 100 million unit plus (by then) install base of the PS4 and Xbox One S. And as he points out in his video, Microsoft's first-party is the weakest of the three manufacturers.

So... Who's making games that take full advantage of the new-gen hardware?

Oh god, reading is not my strong point. My bad...

Back on topic...

I'm excited about the hardware reveal but it seems like Sony has gotten their act together on the software side and MS isn't likely to get the same level of third party exclusives/bonuses they got in the 360 years, so it'll be a hard road for MS.

RoKKeR

Good episode, and I agree that they need to be bold with the Scorpio. Even if it is a Pro-like half-step (for the first part of its life) they need to nail the messaging around it. "It does 4K" isn't going to cut it, IMO.

Edit: I suppose that the "Why is it called Colin Was Right? He isn't right!" posts are the equivalent to "Why does Angry Joe get his own thread?" posts in those threads.

I disagree with him about putting their games on PC. It's clear MS has positioned Xbox as a broad, platform-spanning service, (that we will likely see perpetuated by the Scorpio if it does turn to be more than a half-step) so putting their first party efforts on PC is a way of doubling down on that. Besides, it opens their games up to a wider audience with the possibility of grabbing more players and generating more revenue. They just need to either make the Store the best digital marketplace or swallow their pride and release games on Steam.

Mezoly

Forward compatibility is biggest negative thing about Scorpio. In a previous video Colin & Greg were hoping and thinking that Microsoft won't do that and they will drop the xbox one. I think thats were Colin & Greg hopes will get dashed because I think Microsoft seem adamant about keeping the support for Xbox one.

I also agree that xbox one games on PC is a negative. It is one less reason to own a console. I know there are many other reasons to own it but this just makes it one reason less.

Absolutely. And not because of Scorpio. They need to show their games, and they've got to be amazing.

The ep clearly demonstrated the variety of software that's coming from Sony which helps tremendously, but at the same time it's been shown that the majority of XB userbase don't care for JP games for instance. Plus, gears and halo can't always do the heavy lifting. I think power isn't the way to approach this but games, they overcame that drm issue with Don just invest in first party studios.

kevin1025

Banned
Still have no idea what this got to do with this vid really.

I guess it's more that he calls one thing an unforced error and a mistake, while the other, which is practically the same but with more powerful tech, is completely called for. He tries to frame it that it's Microsoft being behind that makes it different, but they are the same product at the end of the day, sales lead or not.

That was interesting.

I think MS moved their conference because they fear being overshadowed by Sony like happened last year, which implies that I doubt MS to deliver games this E3.

Agree with the part that Scorpio needs to be more than a iterative console, it needs to be set the bar for what next-gen consoles will be, at least in terms of features. Hopefully for that they have the most versatile software tool they could ever asked for: Windows 10. However, I expect Scorpio to a beefed up PS4 Pro because MS has been really clueless to read the market lately.

If for some reason, they show many new games this E3, I expect most of those presentations to be CGI trailers. On those, games developed with japanese developers will most likely be canceled, games without announcing the developer have 50% of being cancelled.

Servbot24

Banned
Pretty much. At some point he and Greg need to admit they were wrong.

They already have. They've conceded that it's not hurting the brand.

Scorpio is a different story because XB1 is relatively struggling. MS has to do something dramatic. PS4 could have stuck with the base unit sand they would have been fine. But Pro turned out to be fine too.

Fisty

And the Vita's gravestone is being carved as we speak

I love the Vita too, but let it go Colin. You were wrong, and that gravestone has been collecting moss for the better part of 2 years at least.

Theorry

I guess it's more that he calls one thing an unforced error and a mistake, while the other, which is practically the same but with more powerful tech, is completely called for. He tries to frame it that it's Microsoft being behind that makes it different, but they are the same product at the end of the day, sales lead or not.

But he says he is still not a fan of these mid gen refreshes. But knows he is in the minority.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I think people are too strong either way on the Scorpio. It probably won't be revolutionary and it won't magically make MS the "winner" over Sony.

At the same point in time if it offers the best console versions of 3rd party games that is a small win. For similar reasons people say just get the Pro over the Slim PS4. Even if the Pro price drops you could say it's only $400 for Scorpio. Why not just get the best console if it doesn't break the bank so to speak.

Then again Colin went in to strong on hating the Pro vs just being luke warm which is perfectly acceptable IMO. At the same point everyone has to give their Scorpio hot take like it's the 2nd coming of Jesus in console form or else total boring dog shit.

kevin1025

Banned
But he says he is still not a fan of these mid gen refreshes. But knows he is in the minority.

True, but he is more forgiving of the Scorpio, even though it's doing the same thing, for the sales lead and the extra year and the power reason (even though he mentioned back when Pro came out, he doesn't care about power). It just comes off a little strange, for me.

I guess it's because if it's Xbox refreshes it doesn't affect him as much since he's more a Playstation player. It's kind of like when he made the video about PSN games being let through and how they need to stay on iOS and mobile and such. If it doesn't affect him personally, then it's fine, but when it's Playstation, then there's a problem.

KORNdoggy

Not sure if a more expensive Xbox One will get people who haven't already bought one to finally get one.

It won't

The people who will buy one are the same sort of people who bought a pro. Enthusiast gamers with money to spend. And the scorpio will undoubtably be more expensive than the PRO.

The people currently looking for a current gen console and havn't jumped in yet are the thrifty ones who value price over everything else. It's people looking for a bargain. And neither the PRO or the scorpio are going to offer that anytime soon, which means the competition, as from day 1, will be between standard ps4 (slim) and standard xbone (s)...and we already know how that turns out.

jaypah

Power absolutely matters but so does price and library. MS will tick the power box but they're fighting uphill against Sony's library and they're on the back foot as far as pricing options. MS needs a lot more games and I just don't see where they're going to come from unless they've been buying 2nd party exclusives that we don't know about. Not fostering a stronger 1st party stable has royaly bit them in the ass.

I want them to make the right moves that makes people want their box. Not sales parity but legit earned sales because they did something right. I like to see the major players in a healthy position. It can't happen overnight and a more powerful box isn't a magic wand but hopefully they've started to think long-term about their 1st party position. It'll pay off eventually but it seems like they lack patience sometimes.

Top Bottom